Zootopia Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Zootopia is coming

Post by Sleet »

Yaknow I actually liked the 2D style of the concept art. Not to say the real movie isn't gorgeous.

Apparently some characters have as many as 9 million individually-animated hairs.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Sorry, Sleet, but I think the days of 2D animation are gone, at least with Disney. :(
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

It almost pains me to think that now someone could make a movie practically overnight.
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They are. Since The Princess and the Frog did so poorly (despite being a fantastic movie), they swore off 2D features for good...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Douglas Collier wrote:Sorry, Sleet, but I think the days of 2D animation are gone, at least with Disney. :(
Sleet wrote:They are. Since The Princess and the Frog did so poorly (despite being a fantastic movie), they swore off 2D features for good...
Not really. It seems that both of you have forgotten shorts like Paperman and Feast (both of which made the 3D animation look like 2D animation), and the recent Mickey Mouse short Get a Horse (which use both 2D and 3D animation).
Last edited by Saturn381 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I just realized something.

The premier date for the movie is earlier in certain countries, and that the US will only get their premier tomorrow. Malaysia got her premier last Thursday. Quite an odd marketing strategy for the US-based Disney.

Anyway, I've read the synopsis on Wiki, and thus spoiled the movie for myself. The plot is your usual Disney cliche, but I didn't expect the major conflict to be that... furry-ish. (Just my opinion on the plot, but putting on spoilers just in case)

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Saturn381 wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:Sorry, Sleet, but I think the days of 2D animation are gone, at least with Disney. :(
Sleet wrote:They are. Since The Princess and the Frog did so poorly (despite being a fantastic movie), they swore off 2D features for good...
Not really. It seems that both of you have forgotten shorts like Paperman and Feast (both of which made the 3D animation look like 2D animation), and the recent Mickey Mouse short Get a Horse (which use both 2D and 3D animation).
Those are shorts, not features.
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

My friend and I watched it last night and it was amazing! She and I were the only people that weren't 8 year Olds or parents that got dragged there. and p.s. I KNEW IT!!!
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Sleet wrote:Since The Princess and the Frog did so poorly (despite being a fantastic movie), they swore off 2D features for good...
Yeah, that I do not get. I thought Princess + Frog made respectable business, nowhere near FROZEN-LEVEL, but not a total bomb either. Plus, they apparently decided not to halt production on Winnie the Pooh which came out after Tangled a couple years later. Maybe those two 2-D movies were their way of offering a proper farewell to that medium (Read: not Home on the Range)
Those are shorts, not features.
Well, at least they haven't sworn off 2-D and hand-drawn entirely. Hey is there a short attached to Zootopia?

BTW I'm seeing it tonight, the furry community in my area reserved a theater and it's fursuit-friendly and everything!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I generally don't see movies in theaters. i hate loud noises and crowds, and I can't see spending a lot of money on food, but I might just go to see Zootopia, because it currently is the best reviewed movie of the year at Rotten Tomatoes and I like a lot of the actors who are voicing the characters. If I don't see it in the theater I will definitely buy it on DVD.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Saw one of the early showings on Thursday.

Since talking plot is more or less a no go without spoilers at this point, just some general discussion.

I appreciated how clever it is, with plenty of "kids-won't-get-it-but-parents-will" humor and references thrown in. (And not all of it was leaked by the trailers, either, so don't worry about feeling like they took all the humor and put it in advertising). It also managed to be emotionally relevant without being too schmaltzy, which I sometimes worry about when you watch films that are oriented towards younger folks, all while providing some rather poignant discussion on some touchy, relevant subjects. Though most kids'll probably miss the subtext. Solid plot - you can still expect where it's going at most times, but it's not too predictable.

And man, it is gorgeous. One of the opening sequences was just an incredibly wow piece of animation. Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm talking about.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from it, and it was great! :D
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Zootopia was probably the best movie i have seen in the past five years, though, considering the quality of movies in the past 5 years thats not really a hard task... It was however a really exceptional heartwarming and fun movie and I enjoyed it immensely. I saw it Friday night and i have to say its really a great film... The Rabbit reminded me of my little sister.. In fact the personality's were so close that it pretty much was her... right down to how she reacts to situations... The fox... eh... i don't know anyone like that but it sure was a fun character :)

Also yeah, it defiantly was not made with little kids as its primary target audience as some parts were pretty blatant in there references. *Cough* The nudest colony and the yoga positions that the elephant was doing. *Aheam*

But its a great movie and i personally recommend it to anyone and everyone who hasn't seen it yet :D
Sansash wrote:
Sleet wrote:BTW I'm seeing it tonight, the furry community in my area reserved a theater and it's fursuit-friendly and everything!
I want to live where you live... South Flordia is a dead-zone in the furry community.
Image Image
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just saw Zootopia. It was indeed one of the best movies this year already. I loved it through and through.

And one shout-out in the movie made me grin when i saw it. can't believe Disney snuck in this one: Breaking Bad.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

One of the things that made me giggle is that in on scene of the film, Judy and Nicholas go to this guy selling bootleg DVD's, and they're all anthro versions of recent Disney movies. They even referenced the upcoming Disney films Moana and Gigantic with the guy saying "I even have movies that aren't even come out yet!".
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I managed to see Zootopia today. I really went in to this one expecting it to be pretty over hyped but I was pleasantly surprised to see that wasn't the case at all here. This was a fantastic movie overall with tons of great characters. If I had one criticism of it, it would only be that the overall plot was a bit predictable. I love what they did with the whole racism/prejudices thing, that was done much better then I though it would be. The characters really carry this movie very well; and I found myself loving everyone in this movie, I really can't think of a character that I even came close to disliking.

Overall a 9 out of 10 for me, I would totally recommend this to people especially if you like Buddy Cop movies, this one is just great.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

IceKitsune wrote:I managed to see Zootopia today. I really went in to this one expecting it to be pretty over hyped but I was pleasantly surprised to see that wasn't the case at all here. This was a fantastic movie overall with tons of great characters. If I had one criticism of it, it would only be that the overall plot was a bit predictable. I love what they did with the whole racism/prejudices thing, that was done much better then I though it would be. The characters really carry this movie very well; and I found myself loving everyone in this movie, I really can't think of a character that I even came close to disliking.

Overall a 9 out of 10 for me, I would totally recommend this to people especially if you like Buddy Cop movies, this one is just great.
:D

I agree, and i like how furry style movies allow people access to a medium that forces us to separate ourselves from our real world prejudices and see the topic alone from an outside perspective. In fact i personally think the movie did a better job than most because it separated them not by race but by concepts of predator and prey, Humans evolved as predators so we all automatically feel empathy for the ones being persecuted for it at the movies climax.

In fact the ONLY thing that bugged me in the movie was the overuse of the word "Hustle" because, while i am no con artiest, i'm pretty sure that 98% of the time it was being used incorrectly since the real meaning is as a synonym for swindle -OR- to persuade with dubious intent. I think it was only used correctly once... but then its still Disney so what are you gonna do...
Image Image
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just got back from seeing it. So keeping it to a non-spoiler review (side note: I do almost all of my browsing on an iPad, so the easiest way for me to see what's behind spoiler tags is to copy and paste it), pretty good movie whose message has a lot of ties in the real world.

So with that out of the way, let's get to the spoilers. Bellwether. Actually a kinda good twist that makes sense in hindsight. Though I'm kinda tired of the villain reveal twist. I dunno, maybe it's because I can't stop myself from reading spoilers online. Also, am I the only one who thought the cheetah that the ram hitman was talking about was Clawsworth (hope I'm spelling that right)? I just got that feeling.
Nicks backstory? Really sad. Not something a 8 year-old should go through.
Among the jokes I came up with during the movie: the facility that the ferals are being kept at is Zootopias premier villain lair, that changes owners every few months because they keep getting arrested.
On my final note, supposedly only the cop at the top of their class gets their page personally handed to them, so Judy was right. Nick makes a really good cop.

I'm going to stop here, because I could ramble directionlessly for hours. Go see it if you haven't already.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Adoring Fan wrote:
Sansash wrote:
Sleet wrote: BTW I'm seeing it tonight, the furry community in my area reserved a theater and it's fursuit-friendly and everything!
I want to live where you live... South Flordia is a dead-zone in the furry community.
Oh that was me, not Sleet who said that. Well then come on up to Minneapolis, or Tundratown as come might call it! ;)
supersonicfan169

Post by supersonicfan169 »

I feel as though it is safe to say that Zootopia now takes the spot as the best movie I've ever seen. It was absolutely fantastic! :mrgreen: The plot was great, the characters fantastic, and it was quite funny. (I know my review sounds kinda boring, but I fear elaborating will lead to unwanted spoilers. You're welcome. :D) If you haven't seen it yet, you MUST GO SEE ZOOTOPIA!!! :lol:
Those who say "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"...
have never played Kerbal Space Program.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

So, uh

I watched Zootopia three times this weekend

It's that good
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

rickgriffin wrote:So, uh

It's that good
I wish I could have.
My DA can be found Here!
supersonicfan169

Post by supersonicfan169 »

It's that good
The first thing I though when I got out of the theater was "Wow that movie was amazing". The second thing I thought was "I must go see this movie again"
Those who say "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"...
have never played Kerbal Space Program.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Saw it today and I have to agree with everybody else that it was an amazing movie; probably the best Disney movies I have seen, and definitely in my top 5 of all time.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Unusuallynamedperson wrote:It almost pains me to think that now someone could make a movie practically overnight.
Wait, what? Who? How? Where?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's that good
I wanted to watch it with multiple people this week, but my sister is away and my brother... really didn't want to see a Disney movie. But at least my parents seen it and they loved it.

canNOT wait for the DVD release, though. i want to see all the extras. <3 <3 <3

care to nerd out your experiences with us? :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's that good
I only saw it once but I intend to see it at least 3 times total! It was fantastic. So much little stuff ya can miss in just one viewing, too.

Loved the messages as well.
Douglas Collier

I wouldn't mind seeing it a third time. ^w^

And apparently the UK release is supposed to have a corgi in place of the moose as the anchorman. Too bad a transatlantic trip is out of my budget...
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Douglas Collier wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing it a third time. ^w^

And apparently the UK release is supposed to have a corgi in place of the moose as the anchorman. Too bad a transatlantic trip is out of my budget...
That doesn't make sense. That breed (and domestic dogs and cat in general) only came about due to selective breeding by humans. That's why there were wolves and panthers instead of German Shepards and Maine Coons.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Legotron123 wrote:

That doesn't make sense. That breed (and domestic dogs and cat in general) only came about due to selective breeding by humans. That's why there were wolves and panthers instead of German Shepards and Maine Coons.
SEQUEL HOOOOOK! :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

One thing I said elsewhere that did bug me... Zootopia a huge, sprawling, diverse city in what is presumably a highly populated world. Why do we see only one celebrity of any gravity, and multiple times? Kind of an immersion failure that almost feels like a cash-in of Shakira.
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

I really like the movie and liked the design of the animals but the plot was a little too predictable. I saw that Bellwether kept getting pushed around and got treated like garbage. Wasn't too sure at the beginning but I just kept her in my radar. But once I found out the hit man was a ram. I was pretty certain it was her and when she showed up at the station I got so excited to see if was right.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Furryface18 wrote:I really like the movie and liked the design of the animals but the plot was a little too predictable. I saw that Bellwether kept getting pushed around and got treated like garbage. Wasn't too sure at the beginning but I just kept her in my radar. But once I found out the hit man was a ram. I was pretty certain it was her and when she showed up at the station I got so excited to see if was right.
To be honest, I thought this reveal was the clunkiest part of the movie. However, I did think that it fit in with the theme about prejudice so it didn't feel stapled in, it was just on the predictable side.

On the other hand, I cried like a baby at so many other scenes and thought the final bit of the ending was intense enough that I'm willing to forgive that.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I honestly didn't see it coming. I was authentically surprised.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Regarding the plot:

I honestly was enjoying the movie too much to figure out who the villain was - I initially went with Judy's foxy bully from childhood. Once the rams showed up, I also immediately suspected bellweather's involvement. Her showing up at the ZPD gave me the motive to connect it as well.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:I honestly didn't see it coming. I was authentically surprised.
I didn't either, mostly because the movie had completely surprised me on several points before then, it's just when it happened I was "I guess that was a bit obvious in hindsight"
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Legotron123 wrote:

Because of the queen (and her love of corgis), basically. Try not to overthink it.

Though I didn't really notice the lack of domesticated dogs/cats until you mentioned that, so maybe do overthink it. :P
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Douglas Collier

CosmicCoyote wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:

Because of the queen (and her love of corgis), basically. Try not to overthink it.

Though I didn't really notice the lack of domesticated dogs/cats until you mentioned that, so maybe do overthink it. :P
Perhaps the corgis are the outcome of royal inbreeding - stubby legs and tail aren't exactly naturally selected for, after all.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I would assume mix-breeds would have a way in Zootopia, but probably wouldn't be elaborated on as to why until it's brought into question. :3

So now that Zootopia is the top box office opening, i'm anxious to see how this will work in Japan on April 23. They had a amusing history I read with a fanbase for Bambi... for Miss Bunny. Judy I think will blow their minds. :3
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

Anyone had a chance to see it in 3D yet? I've seen it in 2D and need an excuse to go see it again, thought I might give 3D a try...
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.