My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Penwrite »

I like some darkness and violence when it's done well. But if it ends up flying in the face of the teachings of the show or emotionally scars the characters, no thanks. In my stories, I want the characters and their values TRIUMPHING over whatever darkness or danger they face, ya know what I mean? Some stories do that, and those are the stories I like.

Of course, I also like stories with none of that darkness at all. For example, I once wrote a fic where Rainbow Dash asked Pinkie for cooking help, and it went on into a Blues Brothers parody. It was glorious.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Personally to me some times the "Grim and Gritty" stuff can be fun to read because its such a contrast to the show it self, and it goes places the show never would or could. Sometimes its fun/funny to read because its just so stupid and over the top and shows how much people try way to hard. Do I agree that it sometimes feels like there's is to much of it? Yes, I think some times to many people write that stuff and not enough of it is like the show but IMO there is a place for that kind of fan fiction just as there is stuff that is like the show.

Also I think some people can take it to far in the other direction and you get people who think nobody in the show knows what death or war or anything remotely serious at all is, and everything is always happy all the time and write it like that which; while can be done well of course, misses the point just as much as some of the grim and gritty stuff can. Or the people who think "Ponies are pure." and anything remotely serious is "tainting them" and then go off on people. (yes I've seen people like this its really sad.)
exranio wrote:Some people like those things combined. Have you seen the art, comics, crossovers, stories, and everything else. I like the stories where people acknowledge that death actually exists. I pretty much avoid any Phoenix Wright crossover where nopony dies becuase it's missing half the dang point MURDER TRIALS. But that's just me.
Speaking of Phoenix Wright crossovers any one watching Turnabout Storm? I personally think the voice acting is rather good for a fan production and the story is rather interesting. Edit: For those who don't know its a video series on Youtube where Rainbow Dash is put on trial for Murder and Twilight "accidentally" screws up a spell to find the best defense lawyer in Equestria and summons Phoenix Wright to defender her.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The way I see it is that ponies represent an absolute good, so if they come against a force that is violent or malevolent it just gives them more of a challenge for them to overcome. I like "My Little Pony" but I also like gory horror films. If the ultimate good is faced with the ultimate evil it makes for really good drama. Or, a chance for really good comedy to have the ponies run circles around a fearsome entity.

Like if you were to combine My Little Pony with Friday the 13th VII

Instead of Tina Sheppard accidentally resurrecting with her psychic powers, Trixie does it with her magic!

One google search later, someone did a morbid comedy fan fic (one of many by the way)with Pinkie Pie making friends with Jason and the two of them taking care of some meanies.

Besides, there is a certain appeal in combining the sweet and the gritty. You might just create something that will surprise and draw in a lot of people.

Stranger things have happened...
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I must find that Pinkie Pie befriending Jason fic. *runs off*
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Is that fic forum appropriate? because It sounds like something you probably shouldn't link here.

unless somehow it is forum appropriate, but with Jason in it, I doubt it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Is that fic forum appropriate? because It sounds like something you probably shouldn't link here.

unless somehow it is forum appropriate, but with Jason in it, I doubt it.

Its just a text story, I sent the link to Penwrite as a PM if you want to delete the link.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I did. If text didn't matter, we wouldn't have reason to regulate the content in fan fictions here.

Royal Wedding. tomorrow. squee.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Pinkie Pie is not your favorite?

"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Radio Blue Heart

Wow! They made Spike look cool!
-Virgil
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Foxstar wrote:
Sleet wrote:Why is there a noose around Twilight's neck? *shakes head*

I'm not liking the angst either.
Stuff like this really, really turns me off to MLP fanfics that somehow feel the need, the burning need to take My little Pony and try and pour in a huge dose of Game of Thrones. It doesn't work, it never works and it looks silly, as do the people who take it as some 'great' written work when shoehorning grim and gritty into a largely care free world is not the sign of good writing.

But godforbid that you mention that on EQDaily.
Did you guys just judge a book by it's cover? ಠ_ಠ

I have actually already send the creator feedback that he should remove the image of twilight and the noose.
I was constantly worry about it while reading the story, but it happens all the way in the end and not at all as I thought it would.

It's a story that stays PG rated as well as fairly canon to the show.
No pointless shipping and no OC ponies (sort of except Nyx/Nightmare moon).
so no, this is not shoehorned grim and dark, the story is actually classified as normal.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
exranio

Post by exranio »

Mine basically turns the world into Equestria to a JRPG. Berry and Blue Blood are the two main characters. The villain plans to become an alicorn by drinking wine. Cheerilee hates girraffes. Berry and Colgate are engaged. AND Berry is consistent profanity user. Yep that's me.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That's perfect! I've been trying to mentally figure out how large I have Spike in my fan fic, and that's the perfect size for him.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

apparently the voice of tirak, Victor Caroli, also narrated the 80's transformers show and movies
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

mariomarc wrote:apparently the voice of tirak, Victor Caroli, also narrated the 80's transformers show and movies
Yeah, I recognized his voice. Really awesome voice, too.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

OK, this episode is having consequences. Grave consequences in the fandom...
so far so good.
edit: remember that tweet about disturbing animation?I bet it was that "mirror scene" from párt 2
edit2: nope. it's the new monster
edit3: the songs were great, the new villains looked really cool, the power of love thing could have gone worse, the jokes were funny. The real downside of the episode was that Spike almost didn't do anythng other then make a few jokes (which were good, but I wish he had involved himself in the plot a little more)
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

Just finished watching it on a livestream.

Of all the best possible things...

THIS

WAS

THE

BEST

POSSIBLE

THING!!!!
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Well we now know why Luna rarely shows up, she's busy protecting Canterlot at night.

New villians should make the fanfic writers happy. The whole ep had a ton of things for the fanfic writers.

Candice being Twi's old foel sitter is neat. Goes to show that even being royalty, they can have basic jobs.

I find it funny that so many of the streams were having trouble (With BronyState being down outright)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was just blown away. o.o That was so good.

Yet another fantasy monster they introduced! As a video game/D&D/M:tG nerd, this show is too good to me.

The fight scene was awesome. I bet they're going to have to change some moves around for Fighting is Magic now that we've actually seen the characters fight. Loved Pinkie's part cannon!

I was disappointed by the lack of Discord, though. I mean, I prefer imposter Cadence being the Changeling Queen instead of Discord, but I at least would have liked seeing him. I guess John DeLancie meant season 3!

Can anyone who understands royalty better than me explain what Twilight is now?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Since I wasn't here the other day to comment, I'm just going to agree with what Kyderra's already said about "Past Sins". I've read it myself, and it really is a strong implementation of darker themes to the universe; it doesn't feel "shoehorned" in the slightest. The story itself is in an entirely different ballpark from the infamous "Cupcakes" or "Rainbow Factory". I've only read a choice few FiM fanfictions, but "Past Sins" was far-and-away the best of the bunch.

It had problems, sure. My only real complaint was about one particular part near the end of the story that felt draggy and unnecessary, but on the whole, it's a very good story. Also surprised to see so much judging. Aren't we already like the bottom of the barrel when it comes to being judged? It's like the nerds who get bullied by the other nerds.

That out of the way... the finale was amazing. :)

While I don't think any of the songs will be outdoing Smile for me, they were all really well-done, and I'll be getting them as soon as I'm able. The villain reveal was actually a little underwhelming to me, but the build-up for it was fantastic. The ending of the first episode had me giggling like a madman. It was great.

The ending with the "Power of Love" saving the day was kinda silly, to be honest, and I ended up laughing as the bad guys went sailing off into the sunset. I do feel like it was incomplete, considering they didn't actually destroy the leader (or her army), they just sent them blasting off Team Rocket style. There's still a massive changeling army and their queen roaming Equestria; they just happen to be some other city's problem now.

Regardless, I didn't really feel cheated or anything. The ending was nice. Luna's "Did I miss something?" was pretty brilliant. And I loved how when the party started, Pinkie jumps into the DJ booth and just pulls Vinyl Scratch out of the ground. :lol: Very silly.

Another thing: was I the only one who felt a little deja vu with everyone apologizing to Twilight because no one took her seriously for most of the episode, and they really should have? The moral was completely different at the end, but that part seemed super similar to the ending of Lesson Zero.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well that was the best episode of the Season and it for sure had the best Villain IMO (who really unlike the others was defeated in a way that they could actually come back which I loved.) The Songs were amazing especially the Villain song/Duet with Cadence which was really, really catchy. Shining Armor and Cadence (the real one) were great characters and I hope to see them again (though I doubt we will). Luna showing up just confirmed what everyone else kind of already thought, her cameos were nice and actually more then I thought she would get.

As for the ending it was your basic 'Power of Love' ending which was fine I didn't really expect much else and its different from them using the elements which made it a bit better. Over all 9.5/10 the ending while I don't mind it does hold it back a bit because it was rushed and over done.

Edit: Oh and I loved Rarity going "MINE!" at the end and catching the Bouquet was funny as heck. Plus I kind of saw that coming once Cadence threw it.
Sleet wrote:
Can anyone who understands royalty better than me explain what Twilight is now?
Nothing she wouldn't get any special title, at least I'm almost positive she wouldn't. They could make her something if they wanted though like a Countess or some other Semi-honorary title I believe.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

thoughts while watching, typed in real time. (wish I hadn't overslept)
(removing spoiler tags cause you all already spoiled it for people.)

The only thing they could think of for RD to do is to perform a sonic rainboom? I mean, it's awesome, but still.
gotta love the song
Why'd they have to mention the bachelor party? I know what people are going to be drawing. -_-;
lol jealous Twilight. She has a point, though.
If they Twilight and SA were so close, why is this the first we're hearing of him?
lol Pinkie's one of the strangest ponies.
alright, so he was busy. understandable... I wonder if he learned the forcefield spell from Twilight or the other way around. Or they both learned it separately. and powerful magic runs in the family.
new cadence is a (charming young woman)
She's not really her. If she were a real bride, She would have complained if she didn't like the food instead of saying she loved them then throwing them away.
Princess Demandypants is more like a bride. ^_^
And Luna returns. ^_^
Twi should make it up to him by taking over with the force field. I'm sure Celestia's student can be entrusted with a job that important for a day or two.
and a reprise. yay.
and of course Twilight was right.
Really Twi? What reason would the other Cadence have to pretend to be the original Cadence when you're already trapped? believe her immediately. hah. villain song. ^_^

unrelated thought: Niel Patrick Harris should voice a pony villain with an epic villain song. (I just watched Dr. Horrible for the first time on wednesday. then again Thursday and yesterday.) It would be legen... wait for it. dary.

lol bouquet distraction.
Seriously, Twi. take over the protection spell. You can do it.
"I've seen better" Then comes the Gatling Twilight
Are the changelings making the same sound as the parasprites?
and another reprise.
"my love will give you strength" "ridculous" says the creature that derives its power from the love of others.
Why mares and gentlecolts? it should be either fillies ad gentlecolts or mares and gentlestallions.
and a great ending song. ^_^
and Rarity's gonna marry Spike
and finally, favorite episodes by far.
Sleet wrote:Can anyone who understands royalty better than me explain what Twilight is now?
pretty sure this just means she's a princess's sister-in-law. I think only the one being married gets into the royal family by marriage, not their whole family.

official name for the changeling queen: Queen Chrysalis
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Re: Chat Thread 36: Get Off My Lawn!

Post by KJOokami »

So, I saw someone's comment on a Youtube video a minute ago saying that Vinyl Scratch's official canon eye color was revealed at the end of the finale! I went back to check on it, and they definitely did. Just as the music is starting in the final scene, after Pinkie throws a mic to Twilight and the scene pans out to a view of the whole courtyard, Vinyl pulls her shades up and her eyes are visible for about a second before she closes them and begins fist pumping to the music.

Only the 480p version is out on Youtube right now, so I can't really make out what color they're supposed to be. But expect someone to be figuring it out in the next couple days. :D
Radio Blue Heart

During the scene in the crystal chamber I kept thinking about the final fight from "Enter The Dragon". "Remember: the enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy."

Twilight already has a great deal of prestige by being Celestia's star pupil and one of the wielders of the Elements of Harmony, but with this marriage I think that she and her parents have become some level of nobility.

I wonder if the Changeling army will ever return? Or was their only chance at overrunning Canterlot resting on infiltration? If so, they may not be able to do it now that the ponies are on their guard.

I really feel sorry for what happened to Celestia! Being subdued and cocooned! That's just nasty! I thought that she could put up more of a fight than that!
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hold on... We have an army of changelings and their queen that are loose in Equestria and we have Discord returning at some point in the future. If they combine these into one awesome season 3 episode, I'll be happy. or if they use it for a movie.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: If they Twilight and SA were so close, why is this the first we're hearing of him?
Twilight did mention that from the time she moved to Ponyville, she's been losing contact with him.
Radio Blue Heart

Also, who would have guessed that Twilight, or any other unicorn for that matter could be used as an automatic weapon!
-Virgil
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Foxstar wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: If they Twilight and SA were so close, why is this the first we're hearing of him?
Twilight did mention that from the time she moved to Ponyville, she's been losing contact with him.
which means that she was still close to him and in contact with him in the first episode. You'd think she'd at least mention him when Celestia told her she'd be moving to Ponyville.

anyone have guesses or actual knowledge of Cadence's voice actress?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:anyone have guesses or actual knowledge of Cadence's voice actress?
I was honestly thinking of Mandy Moore's performance in Tangled the entire time I was watching the finale, but after watching a couple clips from that and checking Mandy's IMDb, it's definitely not her.

So now I've got no clue. But it's definitely a very Disney-esque sounding voice.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

actually, I thought of her too. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I have no problem saying that this was an awesome season finale, and my favorite episodes of the show. The multiple songs in it were just fantastic, with my favorites being the villain song/duet with Cadence, and Twilight's song at the end.

I also liked how they defeated the Changeling Queen with the power of love, and not friendship. Yeah friendship is a type of love, but still, just gives this victory a different feel to it than past ones had.

And of course, I can't talk about the episodes without mentioning the AWESOME fight scenes! The brawl between the Mane 6 and their clones was of course awesome, and I especially loved how Pinkie Pie whipped out her party cannon! :lol: And seeing Princess Celestia step up to defend her kingdom was pure coolness, even if she did get beaten. I bet if Luna had been there, the two sister together could've taken the Queen.

So overall, if they had added 30 minutes to that finale, they could have easily released it as a theatrical film. Anyone agree?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I definitely think that it could've done well as a feature-length special. I'd probably have liked it better that way because, as it is, it was rather rushed towards the end (that's how I felt about the episodes with Discord as well). The rushed nature of it, especially in the latter half, was my only real complaint about it*, so seeing it as a full 90 minute film would've been more than okay with me.

* Aside from the obvious, "Where the heck did this brother come from?" and "Another alicorn? I thought Celestia and Luna were the only ones!"
Last edited by KJOokami on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:So overall, if they had added 30 minutes to that finale, they could have easily released it as a theatrical film. Anyone agree?
I agree.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:So overall, if they had added 30 minutes to that finale, they could have easily released it as a theatrical film. Anyone agree?
You know now that you mention it does kind of feel like it was a half baked try at a movie script that they scrapped and turned into an episode, especially the second part. Kind of like what The Simpsons did with the episode Kamp Krusty which they tried to make into a movie at first.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Gilda's Final Goodbye (WARNING: language) pretty sad song. I'd say the strong language lessened the sadness, but it kinda makes sense for Gilda to be using bad language.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i was just thinking that

imo, better than the discord saga
great comedy, great songs, awesome villain and minions, epic fight scene
not to mention the very disney-esque ending song making it feel more like a short movie
i really hope they bring back the changlings, seriously that awesome

maybe it's just me, but i loved the atmosphere in canterlot during part one
guards everywhere, little to no music, especially at night, it just gives a good sense of something bad to come

for some reason, i get the feeling that the third season is going to get darker
with the Changeling Queen is still alive along with her army, and the fact that John De Lancie might be returning, i get the fact that something bad is coming to equestria
something very bad
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

mariomarc wrote:i get the fact that something bad is coming to equestria
something very bad
but very good for us. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

according to people her official name is Queen Chrysalis
cool
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

there's fanart of the Chrysallis already
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 4x88s3.jpg