2019/03/25 - To Make You Happy

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: 2019/03/25 - To Make You Happy

Post by Obbl »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:To me, it differs because Peanut and Grape were actually RAISED together so it would be like two adoptive siblings being brought up with each other and then suddenly they realize that they are in love with each other. Although I know that can happen in real life and more than enough times it happened in fiction, I still find the whole thing just a little bit too icky.
So how is that different from two childhood friends who grew up next door to each other and had lots of sleep-overs?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Obbl wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:To me, it differs because Peanut and Grape were actually RAISED together so it would be like two adoptive siblings being brought up with each other and then suddenly they realize that they are in love with each other. Although I know that can happen in real life and more than enough times it happened in fiction, I still find the whole thing just a little bit too icky.
So how is that different from two childhood friends who grew up next door to each other and had lots of sleep-overs?
Some people see it that way that if someone is your sibling, he/she is your sibling and those not a candidate of being a love interest.

While I don't want to change people's opinions, how about that:
-First Grape and Peanut are different species.
-Second no matter if Grapenut will happen or not, I'm sure it will be handled in the right way.
-The rating of this comic wouldn't allow of going too deep into the strange and icky.

I hope it helps :)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Obbl wrote:
That is exactly how I have always seen it honestly. I'm a Grapenut Shipper because I am an absolute sucker for Childhood Friends who get together and I think they work well as a couple too.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:
I always viewed the whole Peanut/Grape mushiness as literally adopting a dog and a cat in a family home and it becomes cute romance overtime. It can be akin to lovers ~ just extremely playful.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I wonder what Peanut is thinking, he gets a lot of attention in this arc.
Now he is making out with Tarot (at least I think he does) and before that with Tarot.
For someone who is more interested in games and seems a bit clueless he is one of the biggest (unintentionel) cassanovas in the entire comic :lol:
jonas

Post by jonas »

NHWestoN wrote:
jonas wrote:Whether or not you like Tarot, I don't think anyone can deny she looks pretty gosh-doggin' cute in that last panel. I think maybe it's all that fluff, and her Ewok-like proportions.

Don't tell her I said that.
"Ewok-like"? Yeah. I think there's a point there, Jonas, but I'm not subtle enough to ferret it out. Still, you might have something as to why, for a few folks, Tarot raises some strong feelings. (Me, I was NOT a big ewok fan.) Sharp call, sir. ;)
If I was making a point there, I missed it too! :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All I know is that an Ewok is a space alien but I don't think Tarot looks alienish even if sometimes she acts like it. :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

I think the implication is that she's round and cute like a teddy bear.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When I think of a space alien, I don't really think that to be honest though that is just me. :lol:
Argent

Post by Argent »

The whole point of the Ewoks is they were round and cute and delivered a beatdown to the Stortroopers, which was a humorous thing for people who hadn't already seen them a zillion times.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

IceKitsune wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:'It was all a dream' is so far reserved for the fantastical, but even if Bahamut walked in and told everyone to Wake Up (the spa does kinda defy physics), it wouldn't undo any development that occurred. The characters still remember everything that happened (except Fox). Grape and Max even had a meaningful moment after such a scene:
I wasn't really thinking a magical Cosmic Nerds type dream more like Peanut having a normal dream after getting home likely due to a side effect of all that medicine he took or something. More along those lines.
The "it was all a dream, or was it" is so established at this point that having a character wake up from a regular dream would seem as out of place as an "it was all a dream, or was it" being the latest strip of something like Red and Rover.
Argent wrote:SO many great Tarot faces here.

As for Tarot being OK with Grapenut...

Tarot already knew exactly what feelings Peanut and Grape had for each other right from the first arc she was in, because she was a mind reader and prophet. She was fine with it then, and she's super practical and organized, so there's no reason for her not to be fine with it now. She was a bit thingo over Dragon but that "taking over her body whenever she wanted" thing would probably wear on you after a while...
"taking over her body whenever she wanted" isn't the full story there.
The short is Tarot could technically say no at any time, which she does do in the one example we see of her being possessed.
Douglas Collier wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:So … Maxwell and Tarot agree that they are comfortable with Peanut and Grape being lovey with each other, they're trust them together, they might be a little perplexed but they don't feel threatened, and no more of the ol'choose "Peanut or me" confrontation. And Tarot thinks discussing and imitating Peanut's relationship with Grape might help her and Peanut grow closer...

Not sure why … at this point in their relationship … this is bad. ;)
Um, if you think Max doesn’t feel threatened, let me direct you to just one page ago and point out Max’s expressions. Anything Max said earlier about not being threatened went out the window when he saw just how involved Grape was with Peanut.
As someone mentioned before Max is just shocked. What happened was very much not something he was expecting. In the strip at hand, we see that once Max is thinking more clearly he goes back to not being threatened. I guess it comes down to should you judge someone at their best or at their worst.
fenrirblack wrote:Also I never said “only two ways this could be” or used the word only.
fenrirblack wrote:Because you can view Grapes and Peanut’s feeling two ways. One being the sweet way of they have feelings and care for each other in a intimate way without jeopardizing their romantic relationships. Like two best friends who despite first appearances are plutonic. The other way would be that they have unresolved issues and their feelings for each other are a threat not only to their romantic relationships but to each other. If they pine after each other for so long without acting on it or resolving it then it will slowly corrupt them like a poison until they aren’t making any sense anymore or they finally collapse under the weight of their feelings to the point they can’t be friends.
To your credit you didn't use the word "only" in such a context, but I'd say "you can view Grapes and Peanut’s feeling two ways" is close enough to “only two ways this could be”. It doesn't help your case that right above your indignation about being accused of saying there's only two ways this could be, you ask why they want a happy ending where nothing changes, as if it's logical that not not wanting heartbreak means wanting nothing resolved, which requires the underlying assumption that there are only two ways this could be.
JageshemashFTW wrote:Yes, Peanut is the type of guy to love indiscriminately, but I don’t see how that makes his love for Tarot any less valid than it does his love for anyone else, including Grape.
I think that is a very good point.
fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:It would be amusing if Grape and Maxwell started to fight over him. Gres vs. Reswell. LOL
It would be interesting if Max and Res got one on one time. Before Max was never around when Res appeared then when they were all together they were doing Temple crashers stuff. They’ve haven’t had a chance to just talk. Grape clearly takes up most of both of their attention. Now we need a chapter where Max, Peanut, and Res do something just the three of them. Bro time redux.
Even Res and Mungo had one on one time in the temple. I think there was enough down time for Max to chat with Res.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:When I think of a space alien, I don't really think that to be honest though that is just me. :lol:
Ewoks are a very specific species from Star Wars that are meant to look, as Argent put it, cute like a teddy bear (whether the costumers succeeded is up to debate).
Edit: Added a link.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Mon May 06, 2019 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah just taking a look at them in my opinion they didn't. :?