Languages

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Agent Sandwich

Languages

Post by Agent Sandwich »

What language(s) do you speak?

English, Chinese and French for me.
Yes, I support catlovers! You got a problem mate?

Thank you Housepets! Forum. I've accepted myself.
Ebly

Re: Languages

Post by Ebly »

English is my first language, 少し日本語を話す, and I understand a minuscule amount of Français and Español (some key words - I do not have the ability to fully understand either language).

Edit - でも、漢字はひどいなぁ
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Chinese, English, and Indonesian.

Chinese is my first language, English my second, and Indonesian is my third.

Too bad I can't type Chinese on my laptop. I will have to switch to my desktop (which is really old), if I ever want to type Chinese.

I can also read a little Japanese:
少 is "little", 日本語 is "Japanese", and 話 is "say". So 少し日本語を話す means "I can say a little bit of Japanese"!!! ......

...... Yeah, I know that doesn't count. People who can read Chinese can usually read Kanji anyway.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Italian, English. I can read a very few words of Spanish and German, but that doesn't count as ìspeaking' them languages
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

Aquablast wrote:Chinese, English, and Indonesian.

Chinese is my first language, English my second, and Indonesian is my third.

Too bad I can't type Chinese on my laptop. I will have to switch to my desktop (which is really old), if I ever want to type Chinese.

I can also read a little Japanese:
少 is "little", 日本語 is "Japanese", and 話 is "say". So 少し日本語を話す means "I can say a little bit of Japanese"!!! ......

...... Yeah, I know that doesn't count. People who can read Chinese can usually read Kanji anyway.
啊???我从来都不知道你会说中文!最不可思议的是中文是你的母语!(What?!? I didn't know you could speak Chinese! I also didn't know you are a native speaker!)

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Aquablast wrote:少 is "little", 日本語 is "Japanese", and 話 is "say". So 少し日本語を話す means "I can say a little bit of Japanese"!!! ......

it's easy to deduce it logically for you since the only characters besides the Kanji were し, を and す, with two of them being grammatically relevant rather than having any bearing on the word itself. :P

Yes of course people who can read Chinese can read Kanji - Kanji is the Chinese characters! But to be fair it's not always used in exactly the same way.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

English and Spanish.

However, I would like to add that my grammar in is Spanish is horrible, (i'm only in spanish 2 >.>) but I got vocab down pretty fine and can read and speak it (after a lot of thinking that is).
Make Pasta not war.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Agent Sandwich wrote:啊???我从来都不知道你会说中文!最不可思议的是中文是你的母语!(What?!? I didn't know you could speak Chinese! I also didn't know you are a native speaker!)
當然,因為我幾乎沒有在這裡用中文。XD 不過我已經很久沒用中文了,現在我應該退步了很多。 (Of course, because I almost never used Chinese here. XD But I haven't used Chinese for a very long time, my Chinese is probably a lot worse now.)
Ebly wrote:it's easy to deduce it logically for you since the only characters besides the Kanji were し, を and す, with two of them being grammatically relevant rather than having any bearing on the word itself. :P

Yes of course people who can read Chinese can read Kanji - Kanji is the Chinese characters! But to be fair it's not always used in exactly the same way.
True. I am just glad they are almost the same most of the time, it helps me to navigate Japanese sites. :3
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

你是不是台湾人? (Are you Taiwanese?)

Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Italian (for the joy of Valerio :mrgreen: ), English and I can almost fully understand Spanish
"In nomine Libertatis vincula aedificamus; in nomine Veritatis mendacia efferimus." -Michele Salvemini aka CapaRezza
"Let there be light! That was, uhm... God. I was quoting God."
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Agent Sandwich wrote:你是不是台湾人? (Are you Taiwanese?)
啊,真厲害。雖然香港人也是用繁體中文,而且也會用英文,但是你還是看的出來我是台灣人。不過台灣的中文可能真的和香港的中文不同。我很少和香港人說話,所以我不太清楚。 (Ah, you are good. Even though the people of Hong Kong also use traditional Chinese and can also use English, but you could still tell that I am a Taiwanese. However, Taiwan's Chinese may be really different from Hong Kong's Chinese. I rarely speak to people from Hong Kong, so I am not too sure.)
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i speak English, and a little Japanese
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Swedish and English

VEEEEEEEEERY little french.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Medli

Post by Medli »

I speak german and english, and I am about to learn the russian language.
Also I understand a few words in spanish, french and latin.
In addition, I sometimes manage to understand dutch and swedish words, since there are some similarities.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I speak English fluently, Spanish to some degree (though I'm slow and awkward), and a few disconnected words in French, German and Japanese.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Adzo
Location: The twised parallel reality of my own mind, my mind is in Scotland at the moment

Post by Adzo »

I speak English and basic French, English being my native language, french being taught in school. (my french is very rusty, some practice may be necessary). I can get as far as ordering a coffee in Spanish and Italian, but could never hope to hold a conversation. I can order a beer and swear in German. I am trying to learn some japanese, but beyond translating menus I can't speak enough to do much.

I can also understand the Scots dialect fluently, although I never speak much of it myself. An interesting fact I've noticed regarding the Scots dialect, is that my speech becomes more Scottish when talking to people who use a lot of Scots dialect and have stronger accents than I do. The rest of my family does this to varying degrees, it's probably true of most regional accents and dialects.
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

I speak English, Chinese, and very basic Japanese.

And hey Aquablast, didn't know you were Taiwanese! Ni Hao! ^^
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

Aquablast wrote:
Agent Sandwich wrote:你是不是台湾人? (Are you Taiwanese?)
啊,真厲害。雖然香港人也是用繁體中文,而且也會用英文,但是你還是看的出來我是台灣人。不過台灣的中文可能真的和香港的中文不同。我很少和香港人說話,所以我不太清楚。 (Ah, you are good. Even though the people of Hong Kong also use traditional Chinese and can also use English, but you could still tell that I am a Taiwanese. However, Taiwan's Chinese may be really different from Hong Kong's Chinese. I rarely speak to people from Hong Kong, so I am not too sure.)
我也是台湾人,不过我后来移民到澳洲去寻找"爱不利"! 我现在住在北京念国际学校。因为我小时候不会写中文,我来到了北京之后学会简体字。

I'm also Taiwanese but I immigrated to Australia to search for Ebly! I am currently studying at an International School in Beijing and because I didn't know how to write Chinese till I got to Beijing, I was taught how to write simplified Chinese instead of the Traditional method.

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

English, some spanish, Italian, learning Japanese, a few sentences in French and DARN IT EBLY YOU KNOW I CAN'T READ KANJI YET
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know two kanji. If you ever need to talk about big mountains, just give me a call. I'll do it for you. Like a pro.

Also, I'm surprised; we're a lot more multicultural than I thought we were. Gotta love the wide demographic here.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

I'm only fluent in English and a I speak little bad French. I know a few words of Spanish and German but nowhere near enough to hold any actual knowledge of the language.
May you lead an interesting life.
Ozzy - S5 P7 E4 C3 I10 A8 L5
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I can speak Swedish and English.
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

To my own regret I am only fluent in English, and though I've attempted to learn several languages, I have made no progress what so ever. Though I take great pride in everything I write, to make up for my lack of diversity in languages.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

I'm only fluent in English. I used to be conversational in Spanish, but you lose that if you never speak it. Now I don't know very much Spanish at all.

I've taken classes in German and Japanese. I was way more talented at German, and got up to a conversational level (to my current dismay/joy, I didn't learn Hochdeutch but learned Berlinerisch because my teacher kept slipping into Berlinerisch when he spoke), whereas my Japanese was always pretty terrible. It's been so long since I've spoken German though, I now have a hard time with it.

I have a moderate understanding of Latin and Greek grammar but basically no vocabulary for the latter, and very little for the former. With a dictionary I could form sentences if I was given hours of time.

Same thing for Old and Middle English, although Middle English is much easier anyway.

I know some Dutch, and can understand basic conversation, but can not speak it at all.

I have low amounts of knowledge pertaining to Finnish, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål, I don't know anything about Nynorsk), and I used to be able to read Czech.

Yeah, a hobby of mine has been languages for a long time. >.>
The Game

Post by The Game »

English.
And bits of Yoruba.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

English,
Taking French 1 at school and doing pretty well in it,
And a few words in Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Latin.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

English is my native language, but soon I'll be taking Spanish and French in High School, and later taking professional German classes.
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

NightFox wrote:English is my native language, but soon I'll be taking Spanish and French in High School, and later taking professional German classes.
They offer Spanish and French (obviously) at my high school as well.

If my French teacher is correct on this (and please correct me if I'm wrong) : Spanish is more practical for living in America and Mexico. But go over to Europe, and French is a much better common ground.

Dunno why I typed that, has no relevence, but this is the language thread.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Spanish is probably the second most useful language to know, after English. Worldwide, at least.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Haru Totetsu wrote:To my own regret I am only fluent in English, and though I've attempted to learn several languages, I have made no progress what so ever. Though I take great pride in everything I write, to make up for my lack of diversity in languages.
try latin. its useless, but very interesting. it also doesn't seem to have as many rules as some of the other languages. (though i admit i wouldn't take it if it weren't for a class)
bwah bwah
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

learning latin, and im not horrible at it. also i fluently speak pig latin (i know that sounds funny, but i realy am fluent in in. don't even have to think about it to do it any more. i have some working knowledge of spanish, but i don't even want to bother learning it.
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

English is my native language. I took a couple of semesters of German in college.

Also, I've been teaching myself Latin. You know, for kicks.

Saluete, Discipuli. Fail.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

its not a horrible fail.
i guess.
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I lost my "textbook," so I'm a few months out of practice. x3

Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

this is what i use http://www.dl.ket.org/latin1/ but i don't think you can use it without being part of a school program. you can still browse it, though.
bwah bwah
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:Spanish is probably the second most useful language to know, after English. Worldwide, at least.
I coulda sworn that was Mandarin Chinese.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I said useful, not spoken by the most people. Mandarin Chinese actually has more speakers than even English. But most of the people who speak it aren't worth speaking to unless you live in or are visiting China (and I don't mean that in an insulting way). Whereas English and Spanish are important if you're going to travel to one of many countries in the world, English being the main language in several of the most culturally influential countries.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:I said useful, not spoken by the most people. Mandarin Chinese actually has more speakers than even English. But most of the people who speak it aren't worth speaking to unless you live in or are visiting China (and I don't mean that in an insulting way). Whereas English and Spanish are important if you're going to travel to one of many countries in the world, English being the main language in several of the most culturally influential countries.
I posted that with the impression of most useful. Most if not all business schools encourage (and a lot require) students to learn mandarin Chinese, as China is becoming a powerhouse in the global market.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

In business, perhaps, but in general I don't think it's as useful as Spanish. At the very least not as useful as English.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Many Europeans have some knowledge of German. Of course, this concentration is greatest in Germany, Austria, and Central Switzerland. Tails++ showed me a map, once.