Want to help me with some research? - Roleplaying

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Ebly

Want to help me with some research? - Roleplaying

Post by Ebly »

Engel-Thalberg Organized Geneticists is a recently-founded not-for-profit research co-op between various leading genetics firms.

Or at least that's what it says in their brochure.

Engel-Thalberg Organized Geneticists is nothing but an 'authentic' façade for underhanded research and private technological development. Sure, it's a legitimate research co-op, but there's nothing not-for-profit about it. Their research is paid for and facilitated by Omicron-Rho. It's all under the radar, of course - OR wouldn't have it any other way. The origins of Omicron-Rho, their intentions, and even so much as who their representatives are are completely unknown, but one thing is known: they can get you anything you want so long as you do what they want. They can also make sure of everything you don't want, on the chance you don't do what they want.

So what do they want?

SO tell me what this is
Okay, all silliness aside, here's the situation. I am bored with all the pet friendly roleplays about the place. I'd love to be in a roleplay, but I can't find one that I'd enjoy at all. So here's my compromise. I make one of my own. You're gonna want to read all of this, trust me.

Big one first: This is not first come first served. The reason I am making my own roleplay instead of joining one of the ones already out there is because I am concerned about the lack of any coherent story. I want a story. I want a story, and I want people who know how to write a story. As such, if you want to be in this, you can't just be any old guy posting a couple lines and going "lol dialogue is characterization, right?"
If you want to be in this, send me your application - after all, for there to be a co-op, there has to be more than one company, right?

Okay, I know I didn't give you that much information, so you don't have very much to go on in terms of a premise or a basic idea. That's because it's to be 'discovered' - that is to say, the roleplayers determine the roleplay. I'm supplying some initial ideas - genetics and an enigmatic company - but what is made of that is up to the people involved. This is partially why I'm saying that only people who have a demonstrable ability to write will be a part of this.

Given that leeway, here are a few things this will not be:
This will not be along the lines of a government conspiracy. There's obviously a conspiratorial atmosphere already set out, but come on, you can do better than that. This is not going up to the White House or equivalent, thank you very much.
This will not be an action flick or a spy novel. Okay obviously there has to be some form of action involved and some of that underhanded spy-like stuff is already set out, but this is definitely not going to be River Tam Beats Up Everyone or a 007 ripoff.
This will not be superficially 'furry'. Obviously when something like genetics is involved the possibility is there and I am not saying no to it (in fact I am kind of expecting it given the forum), but if you say "I am a fox" I will be saying that you are also not a part of this.
Finally: "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Babylon Gardens any more." Given this is supposedly a general roleplaying forum despite being on the Housepets boards, I will be using it as such. This has absolutely nothing to do with the comic whatsoever. Tough luck, die-hards.

Keep the rules very dear to your heart, because I'm not afraid to rip it out if they're not.

SO tell me how to join
So, given you still want to apply despite me being a total jerk, here's what you'll be creating:

A research organization or educational facility along with a character within it to use
OR
An acclaimed researcher or whatever that has 'retired' or is generally keeping out of the limelight

For the former, mind you will not be directly controlling the entire organization even if you choose someone who would essentially be in a position to do so. You can't account for everyone, now can you? You will control only your character, the organization will be but a backdrop that may come into play if it is relevant.
For the latter, don't go too nuts on the acclaim for obvious reasons. Also, to make up for the lack of co-workers, you're going to want to include family and friends to make up their social network, aren't you? After all, no man is truly an island, and it's all very relevant when you get involved in this kind of thing, isn't it?

Now, in delivering this to me, apply to me through PM on the behalf of your company to be a part of ETOG completely in-character. If you have no company (i.e. lone researcher) apply just as yourself (in-character). These aren't going to be a part of the roleplay so they won't really be too important, but it will show me your ability in writing in-character, and to a degree it will show your intuition as I haven't set out some kind of apply form or anything. I will be looking for you to include certain details, but as I've basically said, that's up to you to intuit.

After that, I'll send PMs back asking for a detailed explanation of your company/character - where it stands, what its plans are, how you propose its relationship with OR will begin (still ultimately up to me, of course), and things like that.

Mind you, don't misinterpret: I would encourage you not to be something so bland as a researcher for such-and-such. I would encourage you to find ways to be involved in the companies you represent without taking the easy road. This is an involved roleplay, and I want people to be involved in their characters rather than feeling restricted to "oh I must be a scientist"

Ultimately, I want to be able to explore your concepts and ideas and what you'll bring to the roleplay through your application while assessing your ability to write. I will be the judge, not you, so even if you aren't confident in your abilities, please do apply. And since I keep saying "application" and it could give off the wrong idea, let me repeat that you are creating your own method and applying it yourself. There is no checklist for you to follow, especially given if I agree, I'll be asking for specific details anyway. Sound difficult? It probably is. Good luck!

SO tell me who's involved
Can't do that, can I? It's a secret~
Okay, I'm being silly. Nobody else is involved yet, but I'll give a light summary here when they are.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
ArgentFlame

Re: Want to help me with some research? - Roleplaying

Post by ArgentFlame »

This looks interesting, not sure if I'd be able to greatly contribute with the story though. I may attempt to join this.
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

In all honesty, though PF is fun at times, I feel like I'd be more involved here. :)
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Neko

Post by Neko »

Soooo, I'm confused.

1)we're making organizations or researchers to join your company/organization?
2)Not Hp related? So were just making humans?
3)What IS your organization exactly? All I Acquired was that they did things with genetics.
4)I don't understand what we'd be role playing. Doing tests on each other, making ourselves furry creatures?

It sounds like a great idea from what I understand...
ImageImage Back after 7 years to GM once more.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Neko wrote:Soooo, I'm confused.

1)we're making organizations or researchers to join your company/organization?
2)Not Hp related? So were just making humans?
3)What IS your organization exactly? All I Acquired was that they did things with genetics.
4)I don't understand what we'd be role playing. Doing tests on each other, making ourselves furry creatures?

It sounds like a great idea from what I understand...
1. Yes; organizations with a character involved, or a researcher.
2. It's not Housepets related, but you don't have to make a human. You could have a character who started out as a human and received animal DNA for some reason, and has animalistic anatomy. The point is that your character can't be full animal.
3. I'm pretty confident that's all Ebly wants you to know. :P
4. Once again, the level of mystery is intentional. Though I think your idea might not be quite what Ebly's imagining.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Neko wrote:2)Not Hp related? So were just making humans?
2. It's not Housepets related, but you don't have to make a human. You could have a character who started out as a human and received animal DNA for some reason, and has animalistic anatomy. The point is that your character can't be full animal.
4. Once again, the level of mystery is intentional. Though I think your idea might not be quite what Ebly's imagining.
Well, Brawlyboy was half right - that is, his answers for 1 and 3 were spot-on. :P

It's not Housepets related because this is in no way part of the Housepets world - I mean, conspiracy? Genetics research? Enigmatic organizations with Greek letters for their name? Definitely not very HP.
I want humans exclusively for a couple of reasons. One, I feel that people arbitrarily creating characters that are anthropomorphic would detract from the overall story. Too much would be spent on explaining what your character is as opposed to who your character is. The best stories are realistic with variations that make them interesting within the bounds of reality, because it allows our imagination to make it genuine. Fantasy, sci-fi, all of that - the potential for imagination is infinite, but you don't get the involvement that a sense of "this could really happen/be happening" gives you. That's what I'm aiming for here, and that's why I say the whole 'animalistic anatomy' thing is a no, at least initially. The point is not that your character cannot be an animal, the point is that your character can't be a furry. I'm sorry if that detracts from it for you. The second reason is that, as a rule of thumb, humans are less 'interesting' in the sense that we don't go "oh cool, look at that guy's markings, that's so original and totally rad". It's not anywhere near as visual-based as furries are, given there's much less variation possible in humans. This lack of visual interest needs to be made up for with the depth lying in other areas. You need to be able to characterize (note: real characterization, not "look at what a hard life this person has, isn't he deep?"), use dialogue appropriately, and given this is a roleplay your understanding of how to write in-character in first person is key. Third person is silly to use in a roleplay. I still don't understand why some people do it.
This kind of ties in with the fourth question you had also, since the idea is that yes it's all very mysterious and nobody really knows what they're roleplaying, but that's because what you will be roleplaying is dependent on everyone else (as well as you, if you attempt to join). If one group of hypothetical people join, the roleplay will very likely be completely different to if another group of hypothetical people join. Your question about if this will be about creating furries or something, well, the simple answer is no. The more expanded answer is that if that is the direction the roleplay ends up taking in the context of the story that is being played out, then that could very well happen, but something so tab-a-in-slot-b like that is not going to be a main focus.

ARGENT: I say go ahead and send me something! I know I've harped on about story and writing well and all that kind of stuff, but ultimately it's for me to judge, and you'll never know unless you do.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Hmm...

HMMMMM...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

*ideas start to form*

I believe my research firm may want to be a part of this co-op...but they will need time arrange an application, IF my research and employees qualify, of course.

(So, uh, first I needa see if I can at all RP this idea. I can probably make it work, and the base idea is interesting enough...and...I have an idea or two. The only thing I'm worried about is upcoming college, so...I could have problems with time commitment in the near future, but I can probably work it out.)
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Ebly wrote:You need to be able to characterize (note: real characterization, not "look at what a hard life this person has, isn't he deep?"), use dialogue appropriately, and given this is a roleplay your understanding of how to write in-character in first person is key. Third person is silly to use in a roleplay. I still don't understand why some people do it.
I don't know, isn't that kind of subjective? Generally I write in whatever tense and point of view everyone else is using, in order to keep everything consistent. Besides I am used to third person in both reading and writing, but I don't really mind though.

Why do you prefer writing in-character in first person, Ebly?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Aquablast wrote:
Ebly wrote:You need to be able to characterize (note: real characterization, not "look at what a hard life this person has, isn't he deep?"), use dialogue appropriately, and given this is a roleplay your understanding of how to write in-character in first person is key. Third person is silly to use in a roleplay. I still don't understand why some people do it.
I don't know, isn't that kind of subjective? Generally I write in whatever tense and point of view everyone else is using, in order to keep everything consistent. Besides I am used to third person in both reading and writing, but I don't really mind though.

Why do you prefer writing in-character in first person, Ebly?
The list of things I gave there is entirely subjective. For a lot of other people, I wouldn't be surprised if they would think I don't live up to my own standards.

I know I said it as a fact, but it's a preference. I prefer it because when playing a role, you do not speak in third person. Saying "he jumped across the fence" indicates someone else. Saying "I jumped across the fence" indicates oneself. The idea is to be within your own character, and as such you don't know what other people are thinking, etc. Additionally, I personally feel it enables one to express their character's ideas more effectively. The concepts behind first and third person are different, and I feel first person is more in line with roleplaying. Third person is wonderful for watching. First person is wonderful for being.

Tense-wise . . . well, since it's probably the easiest to write in (yes yes subjective), I'm just going to say past tense. Present tense make brainmeat hurties. Oh, but you'll want to write your application in present tense, since that is in the present, no? ;P
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Oh yeah, I guess we use third person so the others can have an easier time reading/watching.

And I believe most of us use past tense.

Anyway, I think you should let everyone know which point of view you want the players to use in your RP.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Aquablast wrote:Oh yeah, I guess we use third person so the others can have an easier time reading/watching.

And I believe most of us use past tense.

Anyway, I think you should let everyone know which point of view you want the players to use in your RP.
Well if they read the thread they'll find out! *giggles*

Anyway, the first post is going to be edited as the roleplay develops, up until the point where I think it's ready to play.
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

This seems a almost daunting task at hand, I'm not sure if I would be commit, be a good enough writer, Role-Player, or thinker.

but on the other hand...

This also seems to be what I've missed in the RP's here for a while, as you've said. and has great potential.

Well, poop. I can't decide.

what what? Jolly good time.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I can - send me something!

I have two people I need to follow up with, since I've let this to the side a little. The problem is that it's likely going to stay firmly rooted 'to the side' for a bit.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:I can - send me something!

I have two people I need to follow up with, since I've let this to the side a little. The problem is that it's likely going to stay firmly rooted 'to the side' for a bit.
You're not the only one. I might have to pull out of this, since I'm so busy.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Teh Brawler wrote:

are you kidding me you were one of the people i needed to follow up on
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Hrm, before I do anything else though...

[quote=Ebly]
Mind you, don't misinterpret: I would encourage you not to be something so bland as a researcher for such-and-such. I would encourage you to find ways to be involved in the companies you represent without taking the easy road. This is an involved roleplay, and I want people to be involved in their characters rather than feeling restricted to "oh I must be a scientist"[/quote]

Does that mean that all I have to do is create someone involved with the research, and/or deeply involved with the company. but not necessarily a scientist?

Such as a test subject? (which I know will not be used because of the nature of genetics.)

oooor a Government official that's there to make sure nothing illegal is done?

what what? Jolly good time.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:

are you kidding me you were one of the people i needed to follow up on
I SAID MIGHT CALM DOWN
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hrm, before I do anything else though...
Ebly wrote: Mind you, don't misinterpret: I would encourage you not to be something so bland as a researcher for such-and-such. I would encourage you to find ways to be involved in the companies you represent without taking the easy road. This is an involved roleplay, and I want people to be involved in their characters rather than feeling restricted to "oh I must be a scientist"
Does that mean that all I have to do is create someone involved with the research, and/or deeply involved with the company. but not necessarily a scientist?

Such as a test subject? (which I know will not be used because of the nature of genetics.)

oooor a Government official that's there to make sure nothing illegal is done?
Well, there's a lot of pressure placed on the players in this to come up with these things themselves, but here's some example ideas of characters. Note that this is in no way what you will write at all, but I consider them all reasonable starts that you could then design a character from and eventually write an application from the point of view of:

Your character is a researcher at the University of Whoknows. He has a long-term partner. They are not married because they philosophically oppose marriage, yet they live in a fulfilling relationship together and are de facto in their state. He has a habit of getting into philosophical debates without about anyone who's willing to listen to him. His area of research is on to what degree hereditary genes within humans has an effect on their personality and other elements of a person's life that are usually attested to their environment.

Yes, it is a researcher. But there's also plenty of opportunity to develop your character, which is the important part: what are his philosophies such that he disagrees with marriage? What about his partner's? Do they see eye-to-eye? There's lots of opportunity for expanding upon his ideas, his personality, and really getting down to the nitty-gritty of who he is - every ounce of which makes it all that easier to write from his perspective.

Your character is a high-ranking manager at Mem Hei Qof Reish, an internationally well respected Israeli research partnership within the area of genetics. Your character, specifically, manages the entire department responsible for security - the managers that lead the security departments of the various premises the partnership owns. Your character herself is not Israeli, and instead was employed internationally and flown in such that she could work for them. She has a history of being accused of assault within her home country, but was never charged with the crime.

This is not a researcher, but knowledgeable enough about the company for it to be justified that she contacts Engel-Thalberg. Again, there's plenty of opportunity for character development - why does she have this mysteriously consistent history of assault with no conviction? Does she even tell anyone about it - perhaps she keeps it to herself. Again, why? What is her home country, is it relevant to her situation?

After you work out the character, work out what the research you are conducting is, and then work out your application to work with the Engel-Thalberg community.

i feel like i just made this whole thing a lot easier for a lot of people right now