Juicy Wolf-Cat

Re: Housepets! Information Thread

Post by Buckdida »

Sinder wrote:
Buckdida wrote:Sinder blah blah blah
You wuss.

*edit*
Thaaaaaaaaaannk Yooooooooou!

And since Sinder is being a funny man, this is the comic he originally attached. (for reference)
Last edited by Buckdida on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Alex

Post by Alex »

So, anyway, how do you guys pronounce Fido? Please tell me it's Fead-o, not Fide-o.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Anonymous_Pyro

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Fideo in spanish means a food we eat.

I chuckled
Gentlemen.
Missingo

Post by Missingo »

Alex wrote:So, anyway, how do you guys pronounce Fido? Please tell me it's Fead-o, not Fide-o.
It is pronounced Fie-doh. Sorry, Alex.
Kay: S4 P9 E6 C8 I7 A5 L3

Retired Characters:
Matthew & Rachel
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

It would actually be amazing if it were feedoh.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Woo-Who! I got another (couple) of updates kicked out! Check the last two entries in the changelog. This thing is well overdue for a bump.

...*sigh* I suppose it can't hurt to ask. Formally requesting a sticky please Rick!

EDIT: Oh hey, wow. I actually got the sticky. Thanks Rick!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

so what happened to the cool little irrelevant details, huh? |<
including the fact that i have been quoted in signatures the most times out of anyone at this point
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

I'm sorry, but it looks horrible (the alias) to me. I don't think that using paintbrush to recolor a picture is the best way, although many people recolor them this way. It's certainly better to decompose the original picture into several parts, for example black and white (but only black lines with white areas, not gray areas) and several color areas, which can be changed (HSV) independently to the others and merge them back into one picture using some kind of blend method.

This way, only colors are changed, nothing else. To decompose the picture, you can use various filters, which extract various channels or allow advanced desaturation. Of course, you'll probably need to divide the picture into several parts, and process them with these filters with different settings and then merge back, but filling colored areas with paintbrush with white color is not the optimal way, as you also delete part of the black lines, resulting in the alias, or just weird looking lines, if you used paintbrush with antialiasing (which of course, requires some more advanced editor than mspaint.exe and similar) and most importantly (horribly), some remaining pixels with the previous color.

Also, the JPG format is not much suitable for this kind of graphics. JPG was designed mainly for encoding photos, which are divided into 8x8px blocks and each one of them (each color channel is encoded individualy) is assigned one mathematical pattern, which, more or less, resembles the original block. This of course, causes some information to be lost (that's why it's called a lossy format/compression), usually loosing some smaller details, but in photos with many transitions, it's almost unnoticeable (if you don't use very high level of compression/low quality). However, this pattern is not designed to encode large solid color areas and sharp transitions, which usually results in not very good looking artifacts and creating a lot of differently colored areas (not totally different, but just slightly) from a color area with one color, especially around areas with different colors (you can notice it in that picture around the lines) and that looks quite ugly.

For encoding these types of pictures, it's better to use lossless format, like PNG (GIF is also possible, but today it's quite deprecated, since it's only 8b, thus supporting only 256 colors in one frame (you can, however, use special trick, involving dividing picture into several layers, each with different pallet and in each frame encode a part with 256 colors, in the next frame another part, but with different 256 colors and so on and set rendering to overlay - do not clear previous frame. Also you may use some non-standard implementation, but this will most likely cause compatibility problems ), which may be for some images ok, but PNG is more modern and may also have better compression ratio, support for 16,7 milions of color (24b) and dedicated alpha channel (32b), not just a transparent color like the aforementioned GIF). Since they contain a lot of repeating information (large single-color areas), lossless algorithm is the best for them, having good compression ratio and preserving all information from the original picture.

Anyway, I took the job of dividing that picture into multiple parts and created following file. It's a .PDN file, created in opensource Paint.Net image editor, but you can probably open it in other editors with support for this file format. You can find there several layers. One for the black and white decolored picture and 4 color areas (extracted from the original picture, not created manually, although I manually fixed some little details, but only a few pixels (if I forgot to fix something, I'm sorry, I must've overlooked), not the whole areas), using multiply blending mode (+original picture for comparison, which is hidden by default). All you need to to, is to adjust hue/saturation/value of each one of the color areas (It's also possible to use paint bucket, but I don't recommend that, as you may not alter all pixels properly, HSV (and other color-only manipulating functions) is the safe method) and you can create virtually any fur/eye/collar color, quickly and easily, without alias and other paintbrush side effects. Of course, you need to add other details (tag (I removed the fish tag for this purpose by the way), bite-mark for Max and so on) by yourself. If you do so, please, use anti-aliasing tools. Looking at some pictures edited by paintbrush is like "(sharp) wire into the eye", like we say (at least) in my country. I also included a PNG file with two layers (lines + merged color areas + result) and sample of recoloring (Grape > Max (without bell, bite-mark etc.)).

Grape PDN file for easy recoloring (you may recolor it yourself any way you want, just by shifting HSV values)
Two layers + sample result (PNG)
Sample file (Grape > Max) (PNG)

EDIT: Now I'm thinking, another method could be using some special algorithm (application, picture processing script...) to convert that bitmap picture into a vector image and just simply alter the color of the generated shapes. You can of course, create that vector image by hand, using bitmap picture as a source, but I think that conversion algorithm may be better. Those applications aren't usually free, but you can always create something by yourself, but that's not going to be so easy. Maybe if you process all pixels, isolating the contrasting/dark ones, creating an array of significant points and than using it to construct lines and export into SVG (which is basically XML plain-text document, so there's not special need for binary format)...?
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Wow tails, that was amazing. I might have to try it like that from now on. I always converted mine to black and white using a threshold tool and manually had to fix the whole image until the lines looked right, then color it with a paint tool, (And a lot of other stuff like the bite mark) but like you said earlier this is not the best way to recolor.
Last edited by Dylan on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Pasta not war.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Wow, thanks Tails. That's awesome, really. I'd redo the picture now, but I'm too lazy >_>
Richarson Valley

Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Too lazy shifting one or three sliders? :) However, I don't think it's awesome, I only applied several filters to already created picture, I think that person who created it in first place is awesome :D
Anyway, these color layers don't have to be a solid color, it's possible to place virtually anything - a gradient, special effect or bitmap picture. However, you need to tune them carefully, so it won't look weird and confusing.
Here's a sample how it may look, but I think that first two samples are weird (especially the second one, I just tried flame effect, to find out how it will look): Grape variations
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Alex wrote:I've found some more of Rick's edited art (for the "Edit fanart" section):
Links
Thanks, but PM's work better. *coughinfirstpartofOPcough* that way the thread is a bit less messy.

But, uh, thanks for pointing out what I missed. I remember that I was trying to add Dessension's edit comics at one point, but freeimagehosting.com was being a refuse-to-load piece of crap and ARGH

Also: Tails, really cool. Second one especially.

EDIT: Kicked out an update, 10/12/09. Check the changelog.
Last edited by Buckdida on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Holy crap, did Peanut accidentally drop acid? :shock:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

No, Grape just prepared herself for the Halloween :D Anyway, as I said, it's only a example and the worst looking by my opinion.
(by the way, where would Peanut get some acid? And why acid? I will probably say some color spray or something).
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Nice info, Tails =)

I honestly been using Paint.net, but only for awhile now. no time to get indepth with it. might try it again!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Not that acid, this acid. :P
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sinder wrote:this acid
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylami ... rgov%C3%A9

Same page in Czech.
Alex

Post by Alex »

By the way, Buck, I noticed you added my "Miles is STRONG" picture. Could you remove it? It sucks and was done in MS Paint (result of extreme boredom).

EDIT:
Tails, I have a question: Just how do you get a black and white picture? I mean, a picture of the lines only, without the colors? I've no idea how to do it >.<
Richarson Valley

Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Alex:
Lines are black, while other areas are not. Knowing this and understanding the RGB color space, you can easily remove all color areas. While black has RGB code rgb(0,0,0) (or #000000) and gray shades (lines in that picture are not only black, but they fade, so they look smooth, without alias (sharp ugly edges) ) have for example rgb(128,128,128) (or #707070) code (any gray shade always has value from 0-255 (in 8 bit color depth for one channel - 24 b without alfa channel) (0 = black, 255 = white), but all three channels have the same value), while colors (meaning other than white-gray-black) always have at least one channel with different value (rgb(255,255,0) for yellow, rgb(170,134,190) for Grape's fur etc). Using this, you can easily surpass all pixels with not equal values in all three color channels, leaving only those with equal values in their channels - black/gray lines. Equal channel values is what distinguishes those lines from other color areas and once you can distinguish them some how, you can also extract them.

I used for this a Advanced Desaturate effect (which is not supplied with Paint.Net by default (at least I think, I have it installed for a very long time (although this was first time I ever used this particular effect for something), so I don't remember if I added it manually, or if it was built-in), but you can find it on the Paint.Net's forum for free, together with many other useful plugins, often collected in plugin packs. They expand Paint.Net functionality quite significantly), because it allowed me to control value of each one of the RGB channels in the resulting picture.
I also used (however for the original picture, not the black-lines one!) Extract Channel function to extract color areas (I used Hue channel, which provided most distinct areas useful for further processing), divided them into layers, posterized to single color and fixed small details and then colored them (using HSV tool! not paint bucket) for the final picture.

Anyway, I already added Paint.Net .PDN file to the first post, so you can open it and just adjust color of the color areas and save resulting picture. But you probably want to process different picture with this method, don't you?

Sinder: I see. I didn't know that "acid" could mean psychedelic drug (thus wondering why acid, I thought that Peanut dropped (spilled) acid at Grape, which caused her fur to change color somehow and that sounds quite weird to me, so again the wondering).

Ebly: I think that I know English enough to read the first article, so I don't really need Czech one, which I could easily find myself anyway :-)
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Alex wrote:By the way, Buck, I noticed you added my "Miles is STRONG" picture. Could you remove it? It sucks and was done in MS Paint (result of extreme boredom).
Done and done.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Tails++ wrote:Ebly: I think that I know English enough to read the first article, so I don't really need Czech one, which I could easily find myself anyway :-)
From your typing, I also thought you'd know English well enough to read the first article as well, but it was more me taking just-in-case measures and hoping it would be seen as nice rather than patronizing. :'D
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Hey, Rick, if it's at all possible, would there be any way you could put a link back to the main website on the forum?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Alex

Post by Alex »

Teh Brawler wrote:Hey, Rick, if it's at all possible, would there be any way you could put a link back to the main website on the forum?
Why not just click your bookmark? You DON'T have a Housepets! bookmark?! You.... you've disappointed me....
Richarson Valley

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Lies, I do! But for those unfortunate souls who don't, I"m trying to be a help!
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Alex wrote:Why not just click your bookmark? You DON'T have a Housepets! bookmark?! You.... you've disappointed me....
Why don't just go to the homepage? You don't have Housepets as homepage? You've disappointed me. :D
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

....don't you start.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Alternative: delete /forums/blahblahblah at the end of the URL.

Why not just do that? You DON'T have /forums/ at the end of your URL!? You... you've disappointed me....
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

I HAVE MEMORIZED THE IP ADDRESS OF HOUSEPETSCOMIC.COM AND CAN TYPE IT WITH MY MIND

EVERYTHING ELSE IS FOR LITTLE BABIES

edit: IN BINARY
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:I HAVE MEMORIZED THE IP ADDRESS OF HOUSEPETSCOMIC.COM AND CAN TYPE IT WITH MY MIND

oh
well
that's pretty okay i guess i mean it's not my cup of tea but you know, i respect your differences and stuff.
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly wrote:
NoelL wrote:I HAVE MEMORIZED THE IP ADDRESS OF HOUSEPETSCOMIC.COM AND CAN TYPE IT WITH MY MIND

oh
well
that's pretty okay i guess i mean it's not my cup of tea but you know, i respect your differences and stuff.
Hey thanks man
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

I was just kidding :(
Anyway, maybe I'll start visiting Housepets via the IP address of housepetscomic.com too: http://76.74.255.237 , comic looks this way more interesting :)
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Tails++ wrote:http://76.74.255.237
That doesn't look anywhere near as entertaining as the regular site.
Alex

Post by Alex »

NoelL wrote:
Tails++ wrote:http://76.74.255.237
That doesn't look anywhere near as entertaining as the regular site.
It doesn't, however, that IS Housepets' IP address....
Richarson Valley

Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Link for Tying the Knot is broken, picture has been moved here because Two_Twig is silly: http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae12 ... Knot-1.jpg

There may be others, but I am too lazy and/or sleepy to check.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Actually, its just that one. The reason why the link is broken is because I made some edits to the picture and replaced the old one. I've already sent the new link to Buck, so it should be fixed soon.
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

so we passed the 10k mark.
and nobody knows what the 10k post was for historical purposes, or something. i don't know.

you guys all suck.
you especially, buck.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

ImageImage
ImageImage
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Great. The 10,000th post has to do with me getting ripped on for spelling and currency counting.

Of course.