Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by NHWestoN »

An old friend from the High School reunion dropped by this afternoon. So we sat on the porch, drank a couple beers, and watched the leaves turn.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Gah. Hope you feel better, Nathan.
Sounds like you had a good time, Weston.

Joy: A good friend got a promotion and was able to quit his lousy job.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I finally might have a GP I can go see for yearly checkups

Sorrow/Annoyance: I lost my Medicaid card and it is gonna take me a month to get a new one
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:Gah. Hope you feel better, Nathan.
Sounds like you had a good time, Weston.

Joy: A good friend got a promotion and was able to quit his lousy job.
Always a cause for rejoicing, gainful employment.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In order to quit a lousy job, I first off need a job. >_<
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Joys: The class I enrolled in has enough people to go ahead now. A 5th person enrolled yesterday, and that was the minimum, but now a 6th person's enrolled today. All that's left now is for a room to be properly assigned for it.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: We had my sibling's birthday cake today. It was an ice cream cake from DQ and it was delicious.

Sorrow: I thought we were going out to eat tonight, but it was actually Sunday night.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Joy: Spent this beautiful autumn day at the County Fair.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Spent the day at the beach one last time before the weather starts getting cold

Sorrow: There really wasn't a lot of people there and I need to be around people even if I am too shy to talk to them.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Joy: Apparently I got all my exam dates wrong. My economy exam is tomorrow and my accounting exam is Thursday. I was really nervous about the accounting :?
Joy: With the extra time, this morning I finished the final leg of my trip to Sagittarius A* in Elite Dangerous. I visited the galactic center last year, but some time after a few space stations were constructed in the area. I'm going to survey unexplored systems then perhaps move on to Beagle Point.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: I'm pretty sure I might not get a good grade in my accounting class. >_<
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Joys: Friend had to go to the hospital to get his gallbladder removed and the surgery went very well.

Sorrows: Got my flu shot at the doctor today. Started feeling a bit off and light-headed after I got back home. Had a good dinner and that helped clear up the lightheadedness, but I've got a slight headache now. Going to keep drinking plenty of fluids while playing games for the next couple hours and then head to bed for some good rest.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Its starting to cool down somewhat over here which is good because I stopped using the air conditioner and it being cooler outside will make it much more easier for me to sleep at night.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ash Greytree wrote:Joys: Friend had to go to the hospital to get his gallbladder removed and the surgery went very well.

Sorrows: Got my flu shot at the doctor today. Started feeling a bit off and light-headed after I got back home. Had a good dinner and that helped clear up the lightheadedness, but I've got a slight headache now. Going to keep drinking plenty of fluids while playing games for the next couple hours and then head to bed for some good rest.

I've had a headache the last coupla days, too - change of seasons, maybe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I get headaches frequently but I'm 99.999% sure that they are from using the computer too much.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Joy: I've got a few weeks' break from college and am off to Cyprus tomorrow. :D
Last edited by CunningFox on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Have s good time!
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CunningFox wrote:Joy: I've got a few weeks' break from college and am off to Cyprus tomorrow. :D
Cyprus - never been there, would love to go. First time? Which area - Greek or Turkish? Can you travel cross-border between the two?
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

NHWestoN wrote:Cyprus - never been there, would love to go. First time? Which area - Greek or Turkish? Can you travel cross-border between the two?
No I've never been before. We're landing on the Greek side but staying on the Turkish side, I'm not quite sure what it's like at the border.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe that would be interesting to go and find out. See if there is a big mix down there.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Sorrow: I'm not feeling so well. I just want you all to know that you're the best of the best. I'll keep fighting so that there will be a better future. I'm just going to lie down for a while to see if this ailment passes.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do hope that everything will end up being alright with you James.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Be kind to yourself there, James … we care.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Thanks guys. I think I'm getting over the flu-like symptoms so that's a Joy.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Glad to hear you’re feeling better, James.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So happy that you really are feeling better. You definitely had me worried for a bit there.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, there's some bad stuff going around. At the animal blessing, there were more people barking (coughing) than dogs barking (barking).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really want to look into what the heck an animal blessing even is.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I really want to look into what the heck an animal blessing even is.
Well … since you asked … it's a Christian religious service that occurs around October 4th, the celebration of Saint Francis. (Other religions have something similar) Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopalian, Lutheran, and a number of Protestant denominations (but not all of them) hold them. The service features prayers, music, and a short sermon. People bring their pets or farm animals to the service, and the clergy leader gives each animal a hands-on blessing (or cage-on if the animal is anti-social). Most of the critters are dogs and cats, but I've seen people bring birds, reptiles, horses, domesticated deer, and other more exotic beasties. The service is meant to honor God's animal creatures, remind people of their responsibilities to them, of God's love and concern for them, and celebrate their place in our lives. If you ask around, you'll probably learn which churches in your neighborhood have them. Our Rabbi used to do something similar but I'm not sure if it was "official". :) ;)

Yes, Sophie got blessed again this year. She's a pious little mutt.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So it is actually a service that is recognized by some churches? I thought that it was just an event that people who have designer dogs and lots of money made up at first. LOL
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Dealing with a fairly serious traffic jam (for Winnipeg, anyway) caused by one lane being closed for half a block.
Honestly, if they had these workers put up signs a little way up the road just saying "lane closes in 2 kilometers" or something like that, none of this would happen. It's maddening 'cause it's so easily avoidable but the city/construction companies are just too lazy to do anything.

Anyway I was dealing with it. Now I'm thankfully home for the evening. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How long were you stuck in the traffic for?
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Maybe 20 minutes if you count the blocks leading up to it where people didn't know what was going on up ahead. Like I said, by Winnipeg standards even that's kinda ridiculous. My entire commute to and from work even at rush hour is barely 10 minutes most days and today between that and a few other delays on the way home it was more like 40. I was also lucky because I happened to end up in a position where I could see the lane was closed a block early, I know the drivers behind me didn't get that advantage and they probably had to wait another 10.
I wasn't really counting time except for knowing when I left and when I arrived though, I find it gets kinda pointless to keep looking at the clock when you can't really do much about it. So I judge it based on the CD I was listening to. 8-)

I know it gets a lot worse in a lot of other places but you have to understand those places also have many times the number of cars on the road. Ultimately it wasn't annoying because it was a long delay, it was annoying because it could have so easily been prevented with just a little bit of foresight. If people weren't trying to get into the open lane all in the same place the traffic would have at least been moving.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just be glad that you didn't end up running into people who were on "Canada's Worst Driver". LOL

That show needs to have more episodes if it is only gonna be a yearly show.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Haha, I watched a bit of that and then stopped for some reason.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Too terrifying to believe that some people in Canada really are that horrible on the roads? 8-)

Though I shouldn't be talking. The people in Massachusetts really did earn their nickname.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Up here, we have a unique species of drivers called by various names. They move into the left-hand passing lane and then drive at the speed limit or just under it. Irksome!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Pretty sure that they are the same type that I was referring to.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Sorrows: I’ve been having these issues with anxiety flare-ups in class this semester. Last Thursday I got it real bad, and my sense of balance/equilibrium has been messed up all this week. I’m able to get out of the house and do stuff just fine, but any major stimulants like caffeine or my ADHD meds exacerbate the symptoms. Going to see my doctor tomorrow afternoon to see if he can give me any advice on what to do, alongside recommending me to a psychiatrist.

I had to skip out on class this week because of the issues, and my mid-term is next week. Really hoping I can catch up to where we’re at right now.
Joys: I have accommodations that let me take my exams in the campus testing center, quiet and distraction-free, so that should help me from having another anxiety flare-up while I’m working on my mid-term.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I feel for you. I suffered panic disorder for a while, so I know how all-consuming the symptoms can be. If you ever need a distraction / wanna chat, hit me up.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other