Arcs that would never happen, but are fun to think about

Discuss the comic here
Dissension

Re: Arcs that would never happen, but are fun to think about

Post by Dissension »

Vertigo Fox wrote:Maybe I will remove that little joke I made if he is in fact a real person though. 'cause I really don't mean any disrespect.
Out of curiosity, what was the joke?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Champion Wallace wrote:He's a real person, honest. He has an account on these forums and a Twitter. The original cameo of his fursona was a birthday present. After that it turned into more than just a cameo.
I'm not really debating that, I was debating, mostly with myself, about whether the comic character and the real person could really be considered the same thing 'specially after all we've seen of the former.
The joke was that he had gotten tired of being a fictional character in the comic and decided to come into the real world as me, since Amayzee Dayzee said something about expecting him to pop up out of nowhere now that I'd mentioned him.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Vertigo Fox wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:He's a real person, honest. He has an account on these forums and a Twitter. The original cameo of his fursona was a birthday present. After that it turned into more than just a cameo.
I'm not really debating that, I was debating, mostly with myself, about whether the comic character and the real person could really be considered the same thing 'specially after all we've seen of the former.
The joke was that he had gotten tired of being a fictional character in the comic and decided to come into the real world as me, since Amayzee Dayzee said something about expecting him to pop up out of nowhere now that I'd mentioned him.
I think that's more a reference to "Speak of the devil" which is more accurately stated at Speak of the devil and he doth appear. So by invoking the name of... the fox that shall not be named, he'll pop up in front of you. Not that you'll be him.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You can still say that you want to see him in the comic again. I don't think that will be a problem. You just can't say what storylines since the real one and Rick are the only ones that dictate them.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Never got rid of that part. ;)
I just don't think it's very nice to pretend to be someone if they are actually a real person, and especially if they might be watching.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Vertigo Fox wrote:
I may be wrong, but think of it like a celebrity being a reoccurring special guest on a TV show. It may be scripted and they're playing a character, even though the character is based on themselves, but you wouldn't say anything serious about the character that you wouldn't say about the person.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I think the difference with that is -- and keep in mind this is philosophizing for fun, it's just food for thought and not really serious, and I'm not saying you're wrong -- that on a guest appearance on the show, even if it's been written for them the celebrity is still there doing some of the work.
In this case however true to life the character might be it's entirely written and drawn by another person, with input from the original person if it's there at all being indirect. So I think may be more along the lines of a celebrity impression.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Maxwell tries to trace his family tree to see if he has any brothers or sisters.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is it even possible to do that in real life? If so, I would like to do it for our new kitten who is supposedly the niece of another of our cats. LOL
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I don't know about family, but I know that my parents found out the breed of their dog through a DNA test.

Each having been abandoned in a way (Res was a shelter cat) Res, Maxwell, and Grape go to therapy together.
Last edited by trekkie on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Speaking of that, another arc I don't think we will get is finding out about Grape's past.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Speaking of that, another arc I don't think we will get is finding out about Grape's past.
You mean before she wound up at the shelter - well, we did get Max's kitten story so why not? Maybe she was a lost kitten from a litter of one of the Barn Cats.
(You know, they've probably gone to join Rufus, but I'd kinda hoped the Barn Cats might turn up in the Gardens. I'd just like to see a couple more cats in the cast.)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Having been abandoned, I don't think Grape wants to relive or talk about her past, and I think that she might be reticent to talk openly about it. I suspect that Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich, Peanut, and maybe Maxwell know some things that we in the audience don't know. I'd like to see some more cats too, maybe the current barn cats can visit their cousins in the city.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think we need more cats at the moment. What we NEED is more chances to see Marvin within a storyline that he leads dang it!
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

A series of robberies strike various stores in Babylon Gardens with Grape being a prime suspect. It's up to Terrance to go and clear her name as he suspects someone else is behind this and is putting the blame on Grape for a mysterious reason.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

The perpetrator turns out to be Sasha, who had a crush on Maxwell, but Max wouldn’t leave Grape. Plus, this scheme would prove to everyone that she was smart and not just a pretty face.

In a similar vein, Maxwell gets caught with a lot of catnip. Jeff disowns him, and Max is put in the pound. Grape, Peanut, Marvin, and Tarot, believe Max was framed and set out to clear their friend.

dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Growing bored with his work at the zoo and craving more excitement, Poncho joins the K9 unit. Gets a bit torqued because people think that he's a domestic dog.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The fact that I had to use Urban Dictionary to figure out what the heck "torqued" meant makes me a bit sad.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I had to look because I started to wonder why that was so hard to understand, because it was an uncommon phrase when I was a kid. I can tell you that I did NOT mean it in the way the urban dictionary meant it. 8-)

I've always used it to mean, essentially, mildly ticked off but not really angry. A bit more than irritated. Either I've been using it wrong for several decades (very likely) or it shifted at some point.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is what I realized it meant when I was on Urban Dictionary also because it was the one that made the most scene and actually fit within the rating of the comic. ;)

You have to remember: the 1920s were a different time than now. :lol:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

trekkie wrote:A zoo talent show judged by Silverbolt, Cathy, Tarmac, Gambit, and Shardul.
What really stings is knowing this could happen, but replace these names with those of the camels and kangaroos, and they will only be judging the wolves... Though I do suppose Lois has a very low chance of having to work at the zoo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She might end up having to do it if security tries to get her in an enclosure.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Peanut decides to raise money by painting portraits - his subjects are not financially inspired by his depictions of them!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Res gets engaged to a cat in Canada. Grape goes up to stop the marriage dragging along a reluctant Peanut and Maxwell.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Concerned about Fox's feelings after their moment of passion at the spa, Sasha tries to fix him up with Daisy. Daisy's not so sure but, when Spring and Summer try to divert the neurotic husky, she counters by involving Bailey and then Kitsune on her behalf. All this proves extremely aggravating to King who isn't sure about Daisy and Fox and is definitely sure he's had enough of Celestials.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

After going through all of those shenanigans once more, I wouldn't be surprised if King says he doesn't want to see any Celestials ever again.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Lois takes advantage of being a Lynx to improve her basketball skills and joins a professional team in Minneapolis.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ah but would she lose those skills if she were to revert back to a human?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Shadrul sees Lois the lynx and is immediately smitten.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Lois is still a female, I wanna see Poncho who just had Lois flirt with him fall hard for her. :mrgreen:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

A human kid dresses up as a pet for halloween and the other pets are convinced that he's a real animal and invites him to hang out. They spend the night together and the human decides to continue the charade.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:A human kid dresses up as a pet for halloween and the other pets are convinced that he's a real animal and invites him to hang out. They spend the night together and the human decides to continue the charade.
There's an old short story from a collection that I have at I think in storage that is a bit like this idea. The story was called "The Wonderful Dog Suit" and it was about a boy that is brilliant, but he would rather masquerade as a dog. He does it so much, and so well, that he is taken in by a family who think he's a stray and he goes along with it for fun. When they turn out to be less than perfect dog owners, it is implied (but never stated) that he's now actually a dog.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Going off my suggestion, we haven’t seen Joey’s cat suit in years. Not since the water balloon war. What if he got so fed up with Lester and Dallas that he puts on the suit and finds a new geek squad of cats to hang out with. Then Dallas and Lester find him, blow his cover, but the cats don’t care, they want Joey. So Kitsune shows up and sends them into a live action D&D quest where the goal is the save Joey and whoever wins gets Joey as a friend. In the end the dogs and cats just merge into one large group.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That may be an arc that will never happen, but man that sounds really awesome!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

A retired military dog moves into the neighborhood, immediately taking any remaining fawning attention Fido was getting and taking over Bino's position. The two brothers have to work together to regain their status.

(I know, Fido never cared for all the attention, but he might miss it if it were gone)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think the fawning stopped when Fido outed himself for being in a relationship with Sabrina especially since he was voted out of his own club. I'm pretty sure the neighborhood dogs just see him, Bino and Joey as "those three loser brothers".
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think the fawning stopped when Fido outed himself for being in a relationship with Sabrina especially since he was voted out of his own club. I'm pretty sure the neighborhood dogs just see him, Bino and Joey as "those three loser brothers".

I don't think you're wrong, but we actually haven't seen evidence of that in the strip. Fido has been a virtual non-entity since then only appearing in his capacity as a police dog. So we don't know what the general level of feeling is about him. Beyond the board of the club let by his conniving little brother booting him.

At the least, it would be interesting to see an arc where the two manage to reconcile. Hard to see that happening without a serious outside influence or some dramatic change to Bino. Which would have to come from a large can of tomatos falling on his head or something.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

One could argue that since he is only seen in his capacity as a K-9 Unit member, the others in the neighborhood could just have been giving him the cold shoulder.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

We may not have seen much Fido off duty, but we have seen what other characters say to him and say about him in the wake of his reveal. From the looks of it to me, they are trying to be respectful, but the respect is gone.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Also it could be they only talk to him because he comes up to him or talk about him because he is brought up in a conversation.