Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Housepets the Novelization.. 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Housepets the Novelization..
Well I talked to Rick a lil while ago and I think in the near future I'm gonna attempt this. If I don't get fired first from my job, I'll be on unemployment this winter, as it is a seasonal job. So I may try this. My plan is to take every strip existing of Housepets, and novelize it. Write it out as a book. A couple of paragraphs per strip or whatever may be needed. I'm just posting this to let you all know. ^^

_________________
Image
Image


Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 2374
Location: Sweden/North Carolina
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
I am sort of confused, do you mean as in you will write about the true meaning of each strip and how they relate with different parts and later actions? How they add to the characters charm and how they act?
Sorry about this. I ask a lot of questions

_________________
Flint: Str 4, Per 9, End 5, Cha 4, Int 5, Agi 10, Luc 2
(Lucid's Drawing of Flint!)
The original idea of Flint is created by Cobalt Kitty
(Aqua's drawing of Flint!)


Last edited by FlintTheSquirrel on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
In a way, maybe I'll post an example here soon, I haven't started working on it yet. But it would be like instead of housepets the comic, it'd be like reading Housepets the book. I'd try to capture each characters uniqueness while basically sticking to the strips.

_________________
Image
Image


Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 am
Posts: 1008
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Oh interesting! How would the random strips flow together though?

_________________
ImageImage
ImageImage


Pet Friendly character bio Abby


Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 pm
Posts: 302
Location: England, tallyho!
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Ooo, I'm looking forward to this! Good luck, Shyanne!

_________________
Image

"FlintTheSquirrel cries for Kaido. He is the only one who understood me not understanding things. :("


Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Typhon wrote:
Oh interesting! How would the random strips flow together though?

well that is why there'd have to be some extra info to flesh it out in between..

_________________
Image
Image


Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Good luck Shyanne.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 71
Location: Canada, eh?
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Very interesting idea. Are you planning on taking this on yourself, or do you think group effort would make it easier?


Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Well I think a group effort would be best actually. :) A book made by Housepets fans, based off the comic strip. :)

_________________
Image
Image


Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 71
Location: Canada, eh?
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Cool :D If that's the case, would you mind if I joined in? Would you be working via strip chapters or arc chapters?


Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:40 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:01 pm
Posts: 870
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Shyanne, that's awesome. That's a great idea. So is this book is going to be based on the HP universe and its characters or are you just going to create every chapter of the book using the arcs?


Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 am
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Everything that is in the book will be based off the arcs. :) Like I said, it may take a while to do, but i hope to finish it eventually. :)

_________________
Image
Image


Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:42 pm
Posts: 6019
Location: Somewhere in that direction.
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Shyanne wrote:
Everything that is in the book will be based off the arcs. :) Like I said, it may take a while to do, but i hope to finish it eventually. :)

Take as many creative liberties as you can.
King and Sasha have poppius


Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:20 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
ctcmjh wrote:
Shyanne wrote:
Everything that is in the book will be based off the arcs. :) Like I said, it may take a while to do, but i hope to finish it eventually. :)

Take as many creative liberties as you can.
King and Sasha have poppius

haha well i dont know if I should skew so far from the comic that much, altho I might be tempted to lol

_________________
Image
Image


Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 71
Location: Canada, eh?
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
But how are the chapters gonna be? Is each chapter going to cover an arc, or are we doing one strip per chapter?


Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Maine
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Oooooo! That would be awesome!

_________________
Image
Image
Image


Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Hera Ledro wrote:
But how are the chapters gonna be? Is each chapter going to cover an arc, or are we doing one strip per chapter?

I'm thinking that each strip would be close in size to a chapter. Now there would be extra stuff added inbetween the strips to flesh it out. But there is too much info in each ark to cover one chapter..

_________________
Image
Image


Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 843
Location: Independence, MO
Post We've heard so many claims of expanding horizons
Unlike the Radio Show and TV series, this is actually going to happen, right? And where can we get updates and/or previews?

_________________
Image


Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 1614
Location: Singing Fortepiano
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
I think it's a good idea. Some people like to read a book because they can get their own imagination of some events in it.

Good luck on your novelization : ).

_________________
Image

I'm a bookworm!
Currently reading: "Men Without Women" by Ernest Hemingway


Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: We've heard so many claims of expanding horizons
Anthroguy101 wrote:
Unlike the Radio Show and TV series, this is actually going to happen, right? And where can we get updates and/or previews?

It may take awhile to get some free time to work on it. I'll get to it tho ;)

_________________
Image
Image


Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:02 am
Posts: 1886
Location: Aperture Laboratories
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Karlos wrote:
I think it's a good idea. Some people like to read a book because they can get their own imagination of some events in it.

Good luck on your novelization : ).


ai second these words ;)

_________________
Image
Image
kick depression in the throat


Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile
Mr. Sunshine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 5857
Location: The nth plane
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
Karlos wrote:
I think it's a good idea. Some people like to read a book because they can get their own imagination of some events in it.

Good luck on your novelization : ).


ai second these words ;)

"Mr. President, I second the motion!"
Let's see if anybody gets this. :roll:

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage
If you're awesome, you're here.


Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Have you given thought to who you want to publish it?
Publishing will not be easy as you have to draw up contracts, agree on who gets which royalties, and (most importantly) figure out how often you will be able to publish further books/comics. Finding a publisher will be a hard task on its own because publishers go by different terms and conditions so its best to get Rick to come to some kind of arrangement with a publishing agent. Even then there is no guarantee anyone will agree to publish, J. K. Rowling's publishing agent approached 10 publishers and all of them turned her down (I bet they regretted those decisions now). Your taking on a huge task and I hope you succeed.

Added: May I vouch a suggestion? I would advise that you should build a team of writers (from our forum who will take this seriously) because Housepets is rather long for just one person. Then assign each member to one arc at a time for them to use their creativity and passion to write the strips out, then post you back the whole thing for you to then add to the master copy (the one copy you will use to publish), it would be best for Rick to be the editor since this is his creation and therefore he is the only one who can approve of the finished product.
I would like to volunteer to assist, I write as a hobby so I would enjoy working on a project such as this.


Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:56 pm
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 1295
Images: 7
Location: United States of California
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
MilesKingford wrote:
Added: May I vouch a suggestion? I would advise that you should build a team of writers (from our forum who will take this seriously) because Housepets is rather long for just one person. Then assign each member to one arc at a time for them to use their creativity and passion to write the strips out, then post you back the whole thing for you to then add to the master copy (the one copy you will use to publish), it would be best for Rick to be the editor since this is his creation and therefore he is the only one who can approve of the finished product.
I would like to volunteer to assist, I write as a hobby so I would enjoy working on a project such as this.
I feel the same way. I'd be honored to help with this as well, although I don't know if I could pull it off with my current skill level. -_-; I might end up being overly critical of my work.

_________________
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
viewtopic.php?p=131370#p131370
Also:
Image
Image


Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Well first off I don't really care if it gets published or not..it's just something for the fans. I mean if it does, great! Also you have some very good ideas. Altho I think we would have to have more than one chapter per ark depending on the ark and all.

_________________
Image
Image


Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. Sunshine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 5857
Location: The nth plane
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
I have a lot of free time, I'd love to help out.

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage
If you're awesome, you're here.


Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Shyanne wrote:
Well first off I don't really care if it gets published or not..it's just something for the fans. I mean if it does, great! Also you have some very good ideas. Altho I think we would have to have more than one chapter per ark depending on the ark and all.


This is your project so you make the decisions, I was just giving advice, that's all. If you wish to discuss something then please do so. One last thing, you might want to get a new thread purely for the story and leave this one for comments from readers, we would need a thread that excludes posts from anyone who is not a writer so that the story does not break because of our readers posts.


Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 pm
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:40 am
Posts: 146
Location: The twised parallel reality of my own mind, my mind is in Scotland at the moment
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Sounds like an awesome idea, working in elements like Spot the super-dog may be tricky. You'd probably have you focus on the main storyline, although some of the one off strips might be manageable.

If you need volunteers for anything on the project I can lend a hand. Even if the multiple writer thing doesn't happen I can help with proofreading and so-on if you want.

_________________
My Pet Friendly character sheet


Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 pm
Profile
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Adzo wrote:
Sounds like an awesome idea, working in elements like Spot the super-dog may be tricky. You'd probably have you focus on the main storyline, although some of the one off strips might be manageable.

If you need volunteers for anything on the project I can lend a hand. Even if the multiple writer thing doesn't happen I can help with proofreading and so-on if you want.


You will have to see Shyanne about that.


Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 71
Location: Canada, eh?
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
I sent a PM to Shyanne seeing what she wanted to do; as far as I'm aware, the main pressing issue is her free time, and I think we can remedy that rather well.

Adzo wrote:
Sounds like an awesome idea, working in elements like Spot the super-dog may be tricky. You'd probably have you focus on the main storyline, although some of the one off strips might be manageable.

If you need volunteers for anything on the project I can lend a hand. Even if the multiple writer thing doesn't happen I can help with proofreading and so-on if you want.


IMHO, I think that the Spot strips would best be written from the POV of Peanut as he writes and/or draw them. As Peanut says, inventing ideas is easy, but working them into a (cohesive? or was it comprehensive?) storyline is the hard part. The Spot strips themselves, in my vision, would be written in italics or as their own mini-chapters as narrated by Peanut. They would be broken at appropriate intervals by the goings-on of real life, and probably concluded by his finishing with some sort of satisfied or dissatisfied look, depending on his opinion of that particular strip.

It's not 'hard', per se, to do a chapter about a comic in a comic, it just requires a twist of thought to make it work.


Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
See I was thinking of having the normal novel parts be in third person. Then for the spot comics, have them be in first person, as told by Spot. :) Ya Work is a pain right now but I do stick a pot on my head and dance the chicken off in November. (it's a seasonal job) So I dunno..I kinda wanted to at least do the introduction or first ark myself, but aside from that, anyone who wants can work on other, future arks. Just remember, one chapter doesn't have to cover the whole ark.

_________________
Image
Image


Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 am
Posts: 1453
Location: Yesterday
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Here's an idea I had from browsing all these forums.

You could ask the RPers to help you out by playing as the characters from the strip. I read some of it (as I had not found the time to read them all) and a lot of it was quite graphic (as in well-made). It could help a lot with the novelization as the characters themselves would be "from life" and there are way more feedbacks than writing it alone. It will be like an audition, but instead of turning words to actions, actions turn into words (well typed words become printed words to be precise).

Not that I don't trust in the capability of your imagination and ability to write, I'm just giving a suggestion.

_________________
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.


Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:01 am
Profile
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
So are we going to assign someone to write their arc and wait for them to see what they wrote as a measure of ensuring consistence or are we all to be assigned an arc to do, which would be quicker this way?

@ Shyanne - This is your project so you can do whichever arcs you want, I don't think anyone would protest.


Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:41 am
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 am
Posts: 1453
Location: Yesterday
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
MilesKingford wrote:
So are we going to assign someone to write their arc and wait for them to see what they wrote as a measure of ensuring consistence or are we all to be assigned an arc to do, which would be quicker this way?


Was this one for me? Sorry if it isn't.

I was thinking of people autonomously opening a thread for Roleplaying which features an arc. Participants and/or contributors would then roleplay as their selected character, going with the usual quality of descriptions they do. The only restrictions would be that they must be loyal to the comic, but as long as they could do that they could freely add gestures that they feel could further the experience of the reader.

So if I were to do the "first" strip "When Boredom Strikes", it could go like:

A 2D caricature of the plumber named Mario hopped, stomped and smashed Goombas with his hammer inside a 24-inch color CRT while a small brown dog sat across the room, on the green sofa that almost nestled him with its similarly shaded cushions and pillows. As Mario jumped across a bottomless gorge a black pop-up suddenly came up which caused the dog to bounce from his seat. The dog vigorously waved the white rectangular accessory strapped to his wrist, randomly pressing the little clear buttons on the stick, but the notification remained. The dog shifted to his left, his bone tag tinkling as it fell of his chest, reaching for a little brown box. He reached inside and his smile transformed into a small frown as he felt it was empty. The short-hand of the clock above the television set pointed to eight with the longer hand 180 degrees from it, he saw this and his ears dropped as quickly as his lips. He looked left, then right, but the house was silent save for the ticking of the second hand and the hum of the spinning disc inside a white box labelled "Wii".

So after I wrote my opening, which is free writing as seen above since it is not part of the strip, as "Peanut", I could post it and wait for "Grape" to write her (or his) opening. Then after she (as said could be he) posts, I could continue with how Peanut acts in the strip, making up my approach and delivery.

This is also why I called it a reverse-audition, since the writers would follow a script (which is the strip) to turn into a script (wee paradox fun). Sure it would take time, but at least it's a book written by fun.

The only problem I see here is the choice of whose novel is entered into the book and how heavy editing (whether it be one story thread or a mix of multiple threads) would be and the same goes to proofreading (would it become democracy as well?).

_________________
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.


Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 am
Profile
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
The question was generally meant for Shyanne but don't worry about. :)

I see what you mean but it would take a very long time to finish the book and some could make mistakes while acting. I would not require any addition assistance with the imagery of the book (I write everything with my own imagination, I don't know what everyone else would prefer but I am fine be left to my own devices) but I would need to know exactly how creative I could be, if something I wrote was a contradiction to what some else writes there would be problems of consistency. Therefore are we to wait for one person to write their arc out so that we would be able to follow from that or are we to all write out our arcs but attempt to keep the creativity at a controlled level to pretent problems from occurring. This was what I meant.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I am anxious to get started XD


Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 am
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Yeah..I dunno what to do. We all have an urge to do this, but I dunno how precise to the comic we would have to be or how creative we could be allowed to be. Obviously we couldn't do a "King and Sasha are a couple, omg!" I think, we should open another thread in the RP forum about this. We come up with a list of the arks. Then if someone wants to do a certain ark. They let me know, and they go to it. Then they give it to me. I will double check to make sure it basically stuck to the main gist of the ark. And then keep it. When I have them in chronological order, I can submit them on the thread, giving credit to who wrote what. I'd say they can submit it themselves, but ppl might submit out of order, since other people write faster than others..By the way..
Hera Ledro wrote:
I sent a PM to Shyanne seeing what SHE wanted to do
..I'm a guy :P

_________________
Image
Image


Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
This arrangement is alright with me, once we have a team of writers organised all that we would need is an editor, as said before we could get Rick to be editor if he wanted to (it would make sense since he is the creator but if he doesn't want then we will have to do the best we can).


Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:07 pm
Mr. Sunshine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 5857
Location: The nth plane
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Shyanne wrote:
Yeah..I dunno what to do. We all have an urge to do this, but I dunno how precise to the comic we would have to be or how creative we could be allowed to be. Obviously we couldn't do a "King and Sasha are a couple, omg!" I think, we should open another thread in the RP forum about this. We come up with a list of the arks. Then if someone wants to do a certain ark. They let me know, and they go to it. Then they give it to me. I will double check to make sure it basically stuck to the main gist of the ark. And then keep it. When I have them in chronological order, I can submit them on the thread, giving credit to who wrote what. I'd say they can submit it themselves, but ppl might submit out of order, since other people write faster than others..By the way..
Hera Ledro wrote:
I sent a PM to Shyanne seeing what SHE wanted to do
..I'm a guy :P

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most would assume that you are a girl for two reasons:
1) Your name - It sound like Cheyanne, which is a feminine name.
2) Your font color - Not many men use the pink font color.

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage
If you're awesome, you're here.


Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Tha Housedog wrote:
Shyanne wrote:
Yeah..I dunno what to do. We all have an urge to do this, but I dunno how precise to the comic we would have to be or how creative we could be allowed to be. Obviously we couldn't do a "King and Sasha are a couple, omg!" I think, we should open another thread in the RP forum about this. We come up with a list of the arks. Then if someone wants to do a certain ark. They let me know, and they go to it. Then they give it to me. I will double check to make sure it basically stuck to the main gist of the ark. And then keep it. When I have them in chronological order, I can submit them on the thread, giving credit to who wrote what. I'd say they can submit it themselves, but ppl might submit out of order, since other people write faster than others..By the way..
Hera Ledro wrote:
I sent a PM to Shyanne seeing what SHE wanted to do
..I'm a guy :P

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most would assume that you are a girl for two reasons:
1) Your name - It sound like Cheyanne, which is a feminine name.
2) Your font color - Not many men use the pink font color.

Hehe it's ok, it doesnt bother me much. :) and pink can be a boys color too!

_________________
Image
Image


Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. Sunshine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 5857
Location: The nth plane
Post Re: Housepets the Novelization..
Not saying that it can't, just that most guys don't use it.

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage
If you're awesome, you're here.


Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  • Advertisement
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.