Housepets the Novelization..

Discuss the comic here
Shyanne

Housepets the Novelization..

Post by Shyanne »

Well I talked to Rick a lil while ago and I think in the near future I'm gonna attempt this. If I don't get fired first from my job, I'll be on unemployment this winter, as it is a seasonal job. So I may try this. My plan is to take every strip existing of Housepets, and novelize it. Write it out as a book. A couple of paragraphs per strip or whatever may be needed. I'm just posting this to let you all know. ^^
FlintTheSquirrel

Re: Housepets the Novelization..

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I am sort of confused, do you mean as in you will write about the true meaning of each strip and how they relate with different parts and later actions? How they add to the characters charm and how they act?
Sorry about this. I ask a lot of questions
Last edited by FlintTheSquirrel on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

In a way, maybe I'll post an example here soon, I haven't started working on it yet. But it would be like instead of housepets the comic, it'd be like reading Housepets the book. I'd try to capture each characters uniqueness while basically sticking to the strips.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Oh interesting! How would the random strips flow together though?
Kaido

Post by Kaido »

Ooo, I'm looking forward to this! Good luck, Shyanne!

"FlintTheSquirrel cries for Kaido. He is the only one who understood me not understanding things. :("
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Typhon wrote:Oh interesting! How would the random strips flow together though?
well that is why there'd have to be some extra info to flesh it out in between..
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Good luck Shyanne.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

Very interesting idea. Are you planning on taking this on yourself, or do you think group effort would make it easier?
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Well I think a group effort would be best actually. :) A book made by Housepets fans, based off the comic strip. :)
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

Cool :D If that's the case, would you mind if I joined in? Would you be working via strip chapters or arc chapters?
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Shyanne, that's awesome. That's a great idea. So is this book is going to be based on the HP universe and its characters or are you just going to create every chapter of the book using the arcs?
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Everything that is in the book will be based off the arcs. :) Like I said, it may take a while to do, but i hope to finish it eventually. :)
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Shyanne wrote:Everything that is in the book will be based off the arcs. :) Like I said, it may take a while to do, but i hope to finish it eventually. :)
Take as many creative liberties as you can.
King and Sasha have poppius
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

ctcmjh wrote:
Shyanne wrote:Everything that is in the book will be based off the arcs. :) Like I said, it may take a while to do, but i hope to finish it eventually. :)
Take as many creative liberties as you can.
King and Sasha have poppius
haha well i dont know if I should skew so far from the comic that much, altho I might be tempted to lol
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

But how are the chapters gonna be? Is each chapter going to cover an arc, or are we doing one strip per chapter?
Treth

Post by Treth »

Oooooo! That would be awesome!
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Hera Ledro wrote:But how are the chapters gonna be? Is each chapter going to cover an arc, or are we doing one strip per chapter?
I'm thinking that each strip would be close in size to a chapter. Now there would be extra stuff added inbetween the strips to flesh it out. But there is too much info in each ark to cover one chapter..
Anthroguy101

We've heard so many claims of expanding horizons

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Unlike the Radio Show and TV series, this is actually going to happen, right? And where can we get updates and/or previews?
Karl

Post by Karl »

I think it's a good idea. Some people like to read a book because they can get their own imagination of some events in it.

Good luck on your novelization : ).
I'm a bookworm!
Shyanne

Re: We've heard so many claims of expanding horizons

Post by Shyanne »

Anthroguy101 wrote:Unlike the Radio Show and TV series, this is actually going to happen, right? And where can we get updates and/or previews?
It may take awhile to get some free time to work on it. I'll get to it tho ;)
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Karlos wrote:I think it's a good idea. Some people like to read a book because they can get their own imagination of some events in it.

ai second these words ;)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
Karlos wrote:I think it's a good idea. Some people like to read a book because they can get their own imagination of some events in it.

ai second these words ;)
"Mr. President, I second the motion!"
Let's see if anybody gets this. :roll:
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Have you given thought to who you want to publish it?
Publishing will not be easy as you have to draw up contracts, agree on who gets which royalties, and (most importantly) figure out how often you will be able to publish further books/comics. Finding a publisher will be a hard task on its own because publishers go by different terms and conditions so its best to get Rick to come to some kind of arrangement with a publishing agent. Even then there is no guarantee anyone will agree to publish, J. K. Rowling's publishing agent approached 10 publishers and all of them turned her down (I bet they regretted those decisions now). Your taking on a huge task and I hope you succeed.

Added: May I vouch a suggestion? I would advise that you should build a team of writers (from our forum who will take this seriously) because Housepets is rather long for just one person. Then assign each member to one arc at a time for them to use their creativity and passion to write the strips out, then post you back the whole thing for you to then add to the master copy (the one copy you will use to publish), it would be best for Rick to be the editor since this is his creation and therefore he is the only one who can approve of the finished product.
I would like to volunteer to assist, I write as a hobby so I would enjoy working on a project such as this.
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

MilesKingford wrote:Added: May I vouch a suggestion? I would advise that you should build a team of writers (from our forum who will take this seriously) because Housepets is rather long for just one person. Then assign each member to one arc at a time for them to use their creativity and passion to write the strips out, then post you back the whole thing for you to then add to the master copy (the one copy you will use to publish), it would be best for Rick to be the editor since this is his creation and therefore he is the only one who can approve of the finished product.
I would like to volunteer to assist, I write as a hobby so I would enjoy working on a project such as this.
I feel the same way. I'd be honored to help with this as well, although I don't know if I could pull it off with my current skill level. -_-; I might end up being overly critical of my work.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Well first off I don't really care if it gets published or not..it's just something for the fans. I mean if it does, great! Also you have some very good ideas. Altho I think we would have to have more than one chapter per ark depending on the ark and all.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I have a lot of free time, I'd love to help out.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Shyanne wrote:Well first off I don't really care if it gets published or not..it's just something for the fans. I mean if it does, great! Also you have some very good ideas. Altho I think we would have to have more than one chapter per ark depending on the ark and all.
This is your project so you make the decisions, I was just giving advice, that's all. If you wish to discuss something then please do so. One last thing, you might want to get a new thread purely for the story and leave this one for comments from readers, we would need a thread that excludes posts from anyone who is not a writer so that the story does not break because of our readers posts.
Adzo
Location: The twised parallel reality of my own mind, my mind is in Scotland at the moment

Post by Adzo »

Sounds like an awesome idea, working in elements like Spot the super-dog may be tricky. You'd probably have you focus on the main storyline, although some of the one off strips might be manageable.

If you need volunteers for anything on the project I can lend a hand. Even if the multiple writer thing doesn't happen I can help with proofreading and so-on if you want.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Adzo wrote:Sounds like an awesome idea, working in elements like Spot the super-dog may be tricky. You'd probably have you focus on the main storyline, although some of the one off strips might be manageable.

If you need volunteers for anything on the project I can lend a hand. Even if the multiple writer thing doesn't happen I can help with proofreading and so-on if you want.
You will have to see Shyanne about that.
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

I sent a PM to Shyanne seeing what she wanted to do; as far as I'm aware, the main pressing issue is her free time, and I think we can remedy that rather well.
Adzo wrote:Sounds like an awesome idea, working in elements like Spot the super-dog may be tricky. You'd probably have you focus on the main storyline, although some of the one off strips might be manageable.

IMHO, I think that the Spot strips would best be written from the POV of Peanut as he writes and/or draw them. As Peanut says, inventing ideas is easy, but working them into a (cohesive? or was it comprehensive?) storyline is the hard part. The Spot strips themselves, in my vision, would be written in italics or as their own mini-chapters as narrated by Peanut. They would be broken at appropriate intervals by the goings-on of real life, and probably concluded by his finishing with some sort of satisfied or dissatisfied look, depending on his opinion of that particular strip.

It's not 'hard', per se, to do a chapter about a comic in a comic, it just requires a twist of thought to make it work.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

See I was thinking of having the normal novel parts be in third person. Then for the spot comics, have them be in first person, as told by Spot. :) Ya Work is a pain right now but I do stick a pot on my head and dance the chicken off in November. (it's a seasonal job) So I dunno..I kinda wanted to at least do the introduction or first ark myself, but aside from that, anyone who wants can work on other, future arks. Just remember, one chapter doesn't have to cover the whole ark.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Here's an idea I had from browsing all these forums.

You could ask the RPers to help you out by playing as the characters from the strip. I read some of it (as I had not found the time to read them all) and a lot of it was quite graphic (as in well-made). It could help a lot with the novelization as the characters themselves would be "from life" and there are way more feedbacks than writing it alone. It will be like an audition, but instead of turning words to actions, actions turn into words (well typed words become printed words to be precise).

Not that I don't trust in the capability of your imagination and ability to write, I'm just giving a suggestion.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

So are we going to assign someone to write their arc and wait for them to see what they wrote as a measure of ensuring consistence or are we all to be assigned an arc to do, which would be quicker this way?

@ Shyanne - This is your project so you can do whichever arcs you want, I don't think anyone would protest.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

MilesKingford wrote:So are we going to assign someone to write their arc and wait for them to see what they wrote as a measure of ensuring consistence or are we all to be assigned an arc to do, which would be quicker this way?
Was this one for me? Sorry if it isn't.

I was thinking of people autonomously opening a thread for Roleplaying which features an arc. Participants and/or contributors would then roleplay as their selected character, going with the usual quality of descriptions they do. The only restrictions would be that they must be loyal to the comic, but as long as they could do that they could freely add gestures that they feel could further the experience of the reader.

So if I were to do the "first" strip "When Boredom Strikes", it could go like:

A 2D caricature of the plumber named Mario hopped, stomped and smashed Goombas with his hammer inside a 24-inch color CRT while a small brown dog sat across the room, on the green sofa that almost nestled him with its similarly shaded cushions and pillows. As Mario jumped across a bottomless gorge a black pop-up suddenly came up which caused the dog to bounce from his seat. The dog vigorously waved the white rectangular accessory strapped to his wrist, randomly pressing the little clear buttons on the stick, but the notification remained. The dog shifted to his left, his bone tag tinkling as it fell of his chest, reaching for a little brown box. He reached inside and his smile transformed into a small frown as he felt it was empty. The short-hand of the clock above the television set pointed to eight with the longer hand 180 degrees from it, he saw this and his ears dropped as quickly as his lips. He looked left, then right, but the house was silent save for the ticking of the second hand and the hum of the spinning disc inside a white box labelled "Wii".

So after I wrote my opening, which is free writing as seen above since it is not part of the strip, as "Peanut", I could post it and wait for "Grape" to write her (or his) opening. Then after she (as said could be he) posts, I could continue with how Peanut acts in the strip, making up my approach and delivery.

This is also why I called it a reverse-audition, since the writers would follow a script (which is the strip) to turn into a script (wee paradox fun). Sure it would take time, but at least it's a book written by fun.

The only problem I see here is the choice of whose novel is entered into the book and how heavy editing (whether it be one story thread or a mix of multiple threads) would be and the same goes to proofreading (would it become democracy as well?).
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

The question was generally meant for Shyanne but don't worry about. :)

I see what you mean but it would take a very long time to finish the book and some could make mistakes while acting. I would not require any addition assistance with the imagery of the book (I write everything with my own imagination, I don't know what everyone else would prefer but I am fine be left to my own devices) but I would need to know exactly how creative I could be, if something I wrote was a contradiction to what some else writes there would be problems of consistency. Therefore are we to wait for one person to write their arc out so that we would be able to follow from that or are we to all write out our arcs but attempt to keep the creativity at a controlled level to pretent problems from occurring. This was what I meant.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I am anxious to get started XD
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Yeah..I dunno what to do. We all have an urge to do this, but I dunno how precise to the comic we would have to be or how creative we could be allowed to be. Obviously we couldn't do a "King and Sasha are a couple, omg!" I think, we should open another thread in the RP forum about this. We come up with a list of the arks. Then if someone wants to do a certain ark. They let me know, and they go to it. Then they give it to me. I will double check to make sure it basically stuck to the main gist of the ark. And then keep it. When I have them in chronological order, I can submit them on the thread, giving credit to who wrote what. I'd say they can submit it themselves, but ppl might submit out of order, since other people write faster than others..By the way..
Hera Ledro wrote:I sent a PM to Shyanne seeing what SHE wanted to do
..I'm a guy :P
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

This arrangement is alright with me, once we have a team of writers organised all that we would need is an editor, as said before we could get Rick to be editor if he wanted to (it would make sense since he is the creator but if he doesn't want then we will have to do the best we can).
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Shyanne wrote:Yeah..I dunno what to do. We all have an urge to do this, but I dunno how precise to the comic we would have to be or how creative we could be allowed to be. Obviously we couldn't do a "King and Sasha are a couple, omg!" I think, we should open another thread in the RP forum about this. We come up with a list of the arks. Then if someone wants to do a certain ark. They let me know, and they go to it. Then they give it to me. I will double check to make sure it basically stuck to the main gist of the ark. And then keep it. When I have them in chronological order, I can submit them on the thread, giving credit to who wrote what. I'd say they can submit it themselves, but ppl might submit out of order, since other people write faster than others..By the way..
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most would assume that you are a girl for two reasons:
1) Your name - It sound like Cheyanne, which is a feminine name.
2) Your font color - Not many men use the pink font color.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Shyanne wrote:Yeah..I dunno what to do. We all have an urge to do this, but I dunno how precise to the comic we would have to be or how creative we could be allowed to be. Obviously we couldn't do a "King and Sasha are a couple, omg!" I think, we should open another thread in the RP forum about this. We come up with a list of the arks. Then if someone wants to do a certain ark. They let me know, and they go to it. Then they give it to me. I will double check to make sure it basically stuck to the main gist of the ark. And then keep it. When I have them in chronological order, I can submit them on the thread, giving credit to who wrote what. I'd say they can submit it themselves, but ppl might submit out of order, since other people write faster than others..By the way..
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most would assume that you are a girl for two reasons:
1) Your name - It sound like Cheyanne, which is a feminine name.
2) Your font color - Not many men use the pink font color.
Hehe it's ok, it doesnt bother me much. :) and pink can be a boys color too!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Not saying that it can't, just that most guys don't use it.