The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

GameCobra

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by GameCobra »

Managed to watch The Nut job 2 - nutty by nature. Movie had amazing artists for the squirrels and mouse in general. The story in general, however, was unoriginal - animals are getting lazy off, forced back to living in the park/wild again, and said park is being turned into an amusement park. it's a plot you heard plenty of times and the villain is basically montana max and a spoiled elmyra kid. Still, though ~ the animation was very nice. good eyecandy.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just saw Ready Player One, and it was really good.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So I saw Ready Player One today. I have to say I never expected to see the battletoads, a platoon of Spartan IIs, the iron giant, a classic Gundam, and Overwatch team up to take on an army of clones and Mecha Godzilla...

Even in context that scenario sounds absurd.

admittedly, plenty of the cameos also showed up in the trailers, but given i refuse to watch those due to holywood not understanding how spoilers work, they were still a surprise to me.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just saw Avengers Infinity War, and I’m just speechless. It was an awesome movie.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Isle of Dogs is off-beat and fun; the animation is intriguing.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just saw Infinity War, and..... wow. I honestly didn’t think they’d do it. Black Panther, Spider-Man, Nick Fury, every member of the GOTG except for Rocket, everyone from Thor Ragnorok, they’re all dead. The way Peter told Tony he didn’t want to go before he turned to ash especially killed me.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yeah, Infinity War is great, everyone see it.
Legotron123 wrote:everyone from Thor Ragnorok
except Thor
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:yeah, Infinity War is great, everyone see it.
except Thor
Sorry, everyone INTRODUCED in Thor Ragnorok dies.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Legotron123 wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:yeah, Infinity War is great, everyone see it.
except Thor
Sorry, everyone INTRODUCED in Thor Ragnorok dies.
Nah, Joe Russo confirmed that Valkyrie survived. Thor did say that Thanos killed half his people, so we can assume a group escaped, presumably with Valkyrie, and maybe Krog and Miek..
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Incredibles 2 is worth a see. It's not Zootopia but it is fun.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

NHWestoN wrote:Isle of Dogs is off-beat and fun; the animation is intriguing.
"Isle of Dogs" is a magnificent film. When it finished I just wanted to watch the whole thing over again; very, very few new releases can make me feel that way. The animation is spectacularly good, showing just how much stop-motion techniques have moved on since, for example, the early Wallace and Grommit films. There's just so much going on! Definitely one to buy on Bluray in due course, just to admire the levels of detail, artistry and craft achieved by the animators. There's a YouTube video showing how they made the film, and it just about blew my mind. And the themes explored in the film, blended as they are with quirky silliness and pathos in equal measure, are just perfect for a HP! or indeed any furry fan.

After Isle of Dogs I found "Fantastic Mr Fox", and found that I loved that one to bits as well.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is passable entertainment but recycles a lot of Park II and III stuff. There will be another, but I think I can waaaaaaaaait. I just like watching the dinosaurs.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

Just watched A Quiet Place, basically it was what happens when you wake up too early and spend the next few hours trying not to wake up your family members. The movie was good, but the kids got really annoying, mostly because their characters were ridiculously incompetent. The acting was really good, despite only having five or six characters throughout the entire movie. The creature design was interesting and the jump scares were well placed through out the film. Definitely the most well done thing this movie did was how it had a feeling of suspense and a form of nervousness that lasted the entire length of the film.
Allons-y
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So "The Meg" isn't about the red-capped daughter in "Family Guy"... Just another fish story... sigh.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just got out of seeing A Star is Born, and it was great!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saw Halloween 2018. I really,really liked it. Highly recommend seeing it in theaters. The sound and music in theaters gives this movie a great mood to sit you in for the scares and decides to give it a good taste of humor between the horrors going on, which is a very refreshing thing. Old 80's humor was bad - this new humor is great.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just got out of Bohemian Rhapsody, and it was great!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So the Bumblebee movie just got rated by the MPAA (PG13 as always), and there’s something missing from it that showed up in previous ratings for Transformers films. It doesn’t have the “language, and some innuendo”, and “some crude and sexual material, and brief drug material” bits, which seems to suggest it’s going to have a lot less toilet humor and a lot less sexualization. And speaking as a Transformers fan, THANK GOD!!! You have no idea how tiring that got.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it doesn't have all of that, wouldn't the rating be lower than usual?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed, Saturn! The missus and I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" this afternoon. Actually, it begins with a lot of humor and increasingly becomes more melancholy and then very dark as Mercury's life and afflictions spiral out of control. The ending, however, is triumphant and exhilarating. Plus, you get a lot of Queen music throughout. Good flick.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If it doesn't have all of that, wouldn't the rating be lower than usual?
Not if it has a lot of action. And considering one of the trailers shows Blitzwing slamming Bumblebee into the side of a mountain, and then dragging him up, I think it’s safe to say that the action is going to be pretty intense in this one. Plus, the smaller cast of robots means the action is going to be much more coherent, which is another problem with the previous films.
Also, I saw Bohemian on Sunday, LOVED IT. Never actually heard “The Show Must Go On” before hearing it play over the credits.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Legotron123 wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:If it doesn't have all of that, wouldn't the rating be lower than usual?
Not if it has a lot of action. And considering one of the trailers shows Bliztwing slamming Bumblebee into the side of a mountain, and then dragging him up, I think it’s safe to say that the action is going to be pretty intense in this one. Plus, the smaller cast of robots means the action is going to be much more coherent, which is another problem with the previous films.
Also, I saw Bohemian on Sunday, LOVED IT. Never actually heard “The Show Must Go On” before hearing it play over the credits.
I don’t think I’m alone in saying it will be nice seeing what a non Bey director can do with Transformers... I really hope it doesn’t underperform just because we didn’t pander to China like the other movies did. I dislike how they impact movie making
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just got out of a fathom events screening of Castle in the Sky, and it was great.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Saw Into the Spiderverse today.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hawkfang42 wrote:Saw Into the Spiderverse today.
I saw that on Saturday too! I really liked it a lot, especially the art style.

Although I got a bit disoriented because we bought tickets for the standard showing and the theater accidentally played the 3D version. I told the staff after the movie was over and they said that I should have let them know sooner... apparently it's just a simple switch-style setting on their projector that they could have easily fixed without interrupting the movie. Something to note for if that ever happens again. :roll:
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

My brother, cousin and I went to see Spiderverse today, and we thought it was awesome! Great fight scenes, really good humor, and got rather emotional at times.

And that post-credits scene was great!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just got out of the Bumblebee movie. Can’t make a long post since I’m on my phone, but I will say that David Willis was right when he said it’s nice to leave a Transformers film without a vague sense of shame.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet". Visually amazing, vivid, and remarkably diverse, it's funny, satirical, and sometimes moving. Perhaps a bit long and, at times, a touch schmaltzy, but overall very enjoyable. Those of you more into the Internet and gaming than I am will probably catch more of the little side jokes and cameos. There's a lot of Disney self-mockery, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its always nice when a company can make in fun of itself.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Saw The Darkest Minds yesterday, great movie.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Going to see Aquaman in theaters today. I do hope it is great!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Into the Spider-verse is awesome, definitely see it.
Aquaman was fun, see it if you like superhero movies.
Mary Poppins Returns was great, see it if you liked the original.

also its weird Julie Andrews was in one of these and not the one you'd expect
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

From being where the hills have eyes to voicing a giant squid monster, Julie Andrews sure can be versatile.

Also, "The Sound of Music" is my favorite movie.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Saw Mary Poppins Returns and enjoyed it much. Particularly enjoyed that animation scenes used the old early 60's style of the original (or 101 Dalmations, if you prefer). The Music Hall scene is particularly delightful and slam-bang, although it segues into a nightmare that's just okay and a bit of a bring-down.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse yesterday and I just got of seeing Mary Poppins Returns today. Both films were great!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I watched those "Scary Stories..." trailers online and they were strange and strangely compelling. Scary movies have always been a guilty pleasure of mine but I get scared super easily which is why I don't watch them. But trailers peeked my curiosity since I never really read the books. I'm curious how the movie is going to turn out because the trailers were so brief but enough to make me want more so they succeeded in what they were supposed to do. Urban legends have always been a fascination of mine from "The Hook Man" to other more disturbing ones.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Took in "Legos 2". It was fun, not quite as nutsy as the first version, but still good.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Any movie that has a Legos version is gonna be a bit quirky. It just depends on how much it will be since it will vary from movie to movie.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Anyone else see Endgame yet? I saw it on Saturday, and I’m still super emotional about literally everything that happened in the third act.

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’m going tomorrow. I feel like everyone, including fictional characters, has seen it except me.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.