Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

I said repeatedly in game that there are two groups of hunters in the woods. One that had two hunters, one that had like 5 or 6. The group of 2 was in front of the family while the larger group is behind them.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I must’ve missed that. My bad.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Changing Sana's colour to FF4080 because I find I really can't read bright yellow.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I know there's really no reason to do this now, but I'm bored, so I'm going to write up some details about Angel team.

Archangel: The leader of the team. A member of an alien species known by humans as Saints. (The actual name for them in their own main language sounds similar to saint.) Archangel has the typical flying brick powers up to power tier 6. This includes super strength, super durability, flight, enhanced reflexes, and super speed when flying. All of this is a result of the hostility of the Saints' highly radioactive home planet. In fact, he requires some sort of radioactive material in his diet or he will get sick. Archangel is a good leader, and is well liked and respected by anyone under his leadership. He is calm and respectful of the rest of Angel team, but there is never any questioning who is in charge.

Titan: Angel 2, or Titan, is a behemoth shrouded in mystery. Titan is constantly wearing their heavy armor. Nothing is known about Titan's past or personal life. Their true name, gender, species, even whether they are organic or machine or whatever else is a complete question mark. Titan never speaks, and seems to remain totally stoic in behavior most of the time. Titan is nearly indestructible and has absurd strength. They are also able to amplify the power of weapons they carry. It is implied that Titan's armor isn't for their protection, but rather to limit Titan's power.

Recon: Angel 3, also known as Recon, makes up for her rather small stature by being one of the fastest and most effective lightning bruisers in the Champions. A human Speedster, Recon can reach approximately .5 C (Half the speed of light) in a vacuum environment, though in practice she can't go that high due to drag and the risk of collateral damage. She has the reflexes to match the insane speed, and she is immune to damage from sudden acceleration, meaning she doesn't get hurt when hit by large objects or when landing at terminal velocity. Her armor focuses mostly on energy shields in order to cut down weight, and it can't take too much punishment before it overloads and requires a recharge. Her armor also has the ability to "blink" or teleport her forward a short distance within her line of sight. She can use this to faze through windows, bars, fences, or blocked off areas as long as she can see what is behind the blockage. This blink ability has a maximum range of ten feet.

Gadgeteer: The most recent addition to the team. Angel 4, The Gadgeteer, is a Varanian, a race I've discussed extensively here already. Gadgeteer was originally a civil engineer on Varan, building things to make everyday people stronger and less likely to be killed by the dangerous wildlife and relatively frequent natural disasters. When a local warlord ordered The Gadgeteer to make him stronger, Gadgeteer had only two options. Flee the next time the Beacon patrolled the area, or fight the much larger warlord in a close quarters duel of strength. Knowing he would loose and instantly die at the claws or jaws of the warlord if he fought, Gadgeteer fled. Looking for a job and seeking to make himself stronger, the Gadgeteer joined the Champions and was placed as Angel Team's fourth member.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:Tatiana let out a sign and leaned back into her seat,
i know it's a typo, but that immediately brings to mind a mental image of those 'oh no' 'oops' and 'ouch' signs Wile E. Coyote allways pulls from nowhere.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey guys. As a result of loosing my job, I'm fighting through some depression symptoms. Been sleeping for 11 hours and still feel tired. I don't feel well or in the mood to post right now. I don't know when I will have the motivation again. Could be later today, could end up being longer.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Hoping you feel better soon.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"The Beacon has a population of ten billion." Hivemind said as they walked down the docks. "So actually it has more people than most colonies."
If this is accurate, the ship should have an average population density just shy of being on par with Manhattan island, based on the diameter supplied in the intro text. and that's just that, an average. it would get worse when you deduct the largely-empty spaces like landing and maintenance bays, and utility areas like reactors or life support systems, that typically cant house inhabitants.

accounting for a fifth of the diameter being devoid of civilians, as you've described, effectively every population center would be a mega city, there shouldn't have been room for the suburb the survivors were set up in.
Last edited by Buster on Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yeah, I thought this would raise questions eventually.

The population is officially listed as ten billion. However, that includes every member of a species of insectoids that live in their own isolated districts. This species only grows to be about two inches tall, and the entire species lives on the Beacon because they were going extinct on their own planet. They aren't the only miniature species on the Beacon either.

Corp actually interacted with one of them when he was getting tested. Miniature species like that have a number of districts to themselves, and combined account for a substantial amount of that population, but each individual of those species is still an individual that is included in the population count.

The population density is still high for human-sized species, but it's not as insane as it seems.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well great, now i need to figure out the average bodymass of said population for any numbers at all to be meaningful...

also fun fact, while looking for a refrence point less clunky than "three times this foreign city" i found out that manhattan has three and a half times tokyo's population density. no wonder traffic there is perpetually nightmarish.

also the 'shot has to pass through the outer x miles' logic is only true if the ship is a sphere or relatively close to one. otherwise it incorrectly assumes that all incoming attacks will be side-on, instead of say, flanking the ship from above or below and firing directly at it's center.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I don't understand how that makes a difference. The armor is just as thick above and below the ship. In fact, it wasn't really built with a specific "above" or "below." It's in space. It doesn't need to have an externally defined top or bottom. Up and down is defined inside of the ship.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

because keeping the defenses a consistent thickness, while leaving enough room inside for the city-domes and their necessary support infrastructure inside, while avoiding irregularities that could create defensive blind spots, would make the ship more ball shaped than you'd previously implied. maybe more akin to a stress ball that's being squished than a sphere, but still.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I never really did fully decide on a definite shape for the Beacon. I imagined it as box-like, but not completely box like. The "outer fifty miles" wasn't originally meant to be totally exact from every angle, but it would come close. It was mostly that the outer dimensions of the ship were 500 x 200 x 200 and the interior was 400 x 100 x 100. I imagine for the defensive blind spots, the edges would be rounded out, so it wouldn't be completely box-like so that the corners didn't get in the way. Add on that all sides have the fortifications and many involve guided projectiles and there aren't really any blind spots in the ship's defenses.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

a box eh?

"We are hivemind. Resistance is futile."

alternately,

"alright, who's the wiseguy that spraypainted 'To Heliport' on the side of the ship?!"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

XD

I'm kind of very loosely using the UNSC Infinity as a reference for the general look, except for a LOT bigger and more symmetrical and geometric, I think is the word for it.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So, I'm in a little bit of a bind. The event for the day is done, but some of the side stories and arcs are still going on. I don't want to have a long period of time where people have to wait for everyone else to finish, so I'm going to suggest that any character that finishes their arc and is ready to turn in should hang out in the food court. That should generate enough conversation to allow the other stories to catch up. That sound good?
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Right ho.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

*grumble* unfinished forum posts need autosave... stupid browser...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

June truly is Kolt’s daughter.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

She has traits from someone who's a chronic overeater and someone who can digest anything organic. What'd you expect? :lol:
midnight

Post by midnight »

Name: Mirei Kudou
Codename: Leviathan
Color: Red
Type: Main
Species: Wolf
Powers: imbued with a part of the power of a already dead
star, Junno is capable of control a great amount of cosmic energy, like charge and shoot bursts of cosmic fire, load almost any device and make his claws burn with all his energy to pass through a lot of objects.
He can also charge itself and awaken something called hyper skill. (This Is not a power up.)

Weakness: If he use his skills excessively and for too much time, it will faint.
His energy can be drained.
He can be defeated if attacked from many places at the same time, and after using all his energy, he is vulnerable while his energy re-ignites.
Appearance: All his fur is white, his eyes are purple, and his pupils seem to be delineated with strange red lines.
Personality: He is seen happy almost all the Time, but in reality it hides its stress. Yet he almost see a good future to all the things. He likes to interact with other species.

Other Notes: Some old friends call him battery (his power explain why) He doesn't search for adventure, but help people.
Stats:
-Strength: 5
- Perception: 6
- Endurance: 7
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 5
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 6
- Power: 6

His name is japanese, yeah.
"Do you expect me to write a good reference? How about: Spartans never die, only dissapear in combat"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

A couple of things:

First, I'm going to need more information about his "hyper skill" before I say yes. I need to make sure this skill follows the rules of the game.

Second, how powerful are you expecting his power to be? How much can he charge, how strong are his attacks, that sort of thing. I need to know to see if you gave the Power stat the right number.

Third, this game is a lot faster and more difficult to keep playing than others on this website. Will you be able to post to keep up with the rest of us? We have a lot of characters and a lot of players. I need to know new players understand that this game is something of a commitment before I let them into the game.

I am not trying to be strict. It is just that we have had quite a few people join only to leave when they found out they couldn't keep up with the pace.
-Champion Motto

midnight

Post by midnight »

CyberDragon wrote:I am not trying to be strict. It is just that we have had quite a few people join only to leave when they found out they couldn't keep up with the pace.
I can understand it, so here is:

1)The "hyper skill" is technically the typical adrenaline boost, he becomes a litle more faster, and his reflexes improve, but of course he will get tired really faster. (if this breaks any rule I simply remove this ability.)

2) He can charge for almost a minute, so the resulting impact can destroy 2 if he really concentrates a 3 km town.
(if we put in nerd trems, his attacks can make damage in adamantiun, theoretically.)

3) i connect every day, so i can post almost every day, so dont worry.

I can change the stats if you say so.
"Do you expect me to write a good reference? How about: Spartans never die, only dissapear in combat"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

1) As long as that doesn't boost his main power, it's fine. It would be fine even if it did, but it would mean that the power stat would have to go up.

2) That is much higher than a 6. That is at least a 7 in terms of power. The stat needs to reflect that. In addition, I would feel more comfortable if it took longer than a minute to charge. A minute can be less than a turn, and defeats the point of there being a charge time.

While I would prefer you play around more in other RPs first, your character is approved. I would suggest waiting for the end of the day and joining when we start the next one, simply because this day is winding down to a close.
-Champion Motto

midnight

Post by midnight »

CyberDragon wrote:1) As long as that doesn't boost his main power, it's fine. It would be fine even if it did, but it would mean that the power stat would have to go up.

2) That is much higher than a 6. That is at least a 7 in terms of power. The stat needs to reflect that. In addition, I would feel more comfortable if it took longer than a minute to charge. A minute can be less than a turn, and defeats the point of there being a charge time.

While I would prefer you play around more in other RPs first, your character is approved. I would suggest waiting for the end of the day and joining when we start the next one, simply because this day is winding down to a close.
Ok, then it would be like this: the perception goes down, power goes up:
-Strength: 5
- Perception: 5
- Endurance: 7
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 5
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 6
- Power: 7

And the charging time increases ( to use his maximum power) at least 7 minutes.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That works. Again, I suggest waiting until the start of the next day to introduce your character.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m not going to lie, I’m very curious as to what Epsilon is going to do now that she’s off the Beacon. Given what little I remember about her personality, I could see her becoming some sort of mercenary.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Finally remembered to put Hannabelles' part in.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey, guys. There was a little something I was working on in a different forum today, so my post is probably going to come tomorrow. sorry about that...
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hey, remember this thing I said I’d work on for the giant robots the Kill Rangers would have? Well I’d completely forgotten about it over the past few weeks (or months), just like I’m sure most of you have. Still, I finally finished it, so whether or not you actually still want it, here’s what I’ve come up with for the not-Zords and not-Megazords the Kill Rangers would have (I’m going to call them Zoids and Hyperzoids respectively). Each Ranger has a theme for their Zoids, either based on something from their profiles, or just something I made up. Each one also forms a particular part of the Hyperzoids, Blue always forms the waist and legs, Yellow and Black always form the left and right arms respectively, Red always forms the chest, and Pink always forms the head. Each Zoid also has its own unique Finisher, and the Finishers themselves are a bit more gruesome than normal Tokusatsu Finishers, since Celican culture seems to glorify violence. I also made most of the Zoids ripoffs of vehicles from other franchise, because most of what I’ve read about the Kill Rangers makes it seem like the writers aren’t exactly afraid to ripoff more popular works. Now that I’ve got all that stuff out of the way, let’s get to my ideas for the Zoids!
*Red’s Zoids:
Theme: Military
-Jeep Zoid
A heavily armored Jeep (similar in style to Combiner Wars Swindle) with a turret on top that becomes a pistol for the combined form. Forms the Alphex HyperZoid when used as the torso. Grants the use of the “Rapid-Fire Fury” Finisher, where the HyperZoid holds the pistol up to the monsters head and fires six shots in five seconds.
-Tank Zoid
A Tank that looks like a sci-fi version of an Abrams, with the turret forming the upper chest of the combined mode. Forms the Lambdos HyperZoid when used as the torso. Grants the use of the “High Pressure Puncture” Finisher, where the gun of the tank charges up before firing a shot that spears straight through the monster (this is frequently edited in other cultures to only show the shot hitting the monster, not going through it).
-Missile Zoid
A futuristic looking mobile artillery platform (rather resembling a M270 MLRS), with the missile rack splitting to form shoulder launchers for the combined mode. Forms the Omeguz HyperZoid when used as the torso. Grants the use of the “Mighty Missle Massacre” Finisher, where the HyperZoid fires wave after wave of missiles to destroy the monster.
*Blue’s Zoids
Theme: Spacecraft
-Shuttle Zoid
A heavily weaponized futuristic space shuttle, with the thrusters forming the feet of the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Thuster Dive” Finisher, where the HyperZoid flys up into the air, then drops down to kick the monster in the face.
-Zoom Zoid
A sci-fi version of the F-117A Nighthawk, with the the nosecone forming the feet of the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Bombardment Blitz” where the HyperZoid pulls a bunch of grenades out of hammerspace and chucks them at the monster.
-Soar Zoid
A futuristic version of the BAC Concorde, with the nosecone forming a spear and the wings forming the legs for the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Super Spear Slam” Finisher, where the HyperZoid flies above the monster, points the spear down in a pogo-stick like position, and then just lands on the poor sod.
*Yellow’s Zoids
Theme: Polar vehicles
-Halftrack Zoid
A polar halftrack baring a resemblance to PCC Icepick, with the wheels forming the shoulder of the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Freezing Shatter” Finisher, where the HyperZoid freezes the monster with a blast of cold from it’s left hand, then shatters it with a roundhouse kick.
-Sub Zoid
A submarine that looks suspiciously similar to the Sub Driver Zord, complete with the fist folding out of the back of the sub. Grants the use of the “Typhoon Tumble” Finisher, where the HyperZoid puts its hands together like it’s trying to do the last part of the Kamehameha, and shoots out a massive whirlpool that crushes the monster.
-Snow Zoid
A snowmobile with the seat replaced with some sort of cockpit, with the treads folding inside out to make a chainsaw arm for the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Chainsaw Slash” Finisher, where the HyperZoid cuts the monster in half lengthwise using the chainsaw (this is another Finisher that gets edited in other markets).
*Black’s Zoids
Theme: Construction vehicles
-Dump Zoid
A futuristic looking dump truck, with the bed forming a shield and the grill forming a fist for the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Bouncing Bed Bisection” Finisher, where the HyperZoid knocks the monster on it’s back, shoves the edge of the shield/truck bed into its gut, and then jumps up and down on it until the force cuts the monster in half (yet another Finisher that gets edited in other markets).
-Mix Zoid
A obvious black colored ripoff of the Cement Driver Zord, complete with the mixer opening up to reveal a cannon. Grants the use of the “Plasma Punisher” Finisher, where the HyperZoid kicks the monster into space, then charges up a laser that, when fired, looks like the Final Flash from DBZ.
-Wreck Zoid
A futuristic looking truss crane with a wrecking ball instead of a hook, with the treads forming the shoulder joint of the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Wrecking Bash” Finisher, where the HyperZoid spins around and repeatedly bashing the monster with wrecking ball, before launching it into space.
*Pink’s Zoids
Theme: Emergency vehicles
-Siren Zoid
A futuristic looking ambulance, with the back splitting vertically to form the face of the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Anti-healing Ashpile” Finisher, where the HyperZoid drains the life of the monster until it ages into a pile of ash.
-Cruiser Zoid
A futuristic looking police cruiser, with the headlights forming the top of the head of the combined mode. Grants the use of the “Vehicular Mayhem” Finisher, where the HyperZoid splits into its component Zoids, runs over the monster, then reforms on the other side.
-Heli Zoid
A surprisingly old fashioned (for the year 3050) helicopter, with the blades forming the head crest of the combined mode. Allows the use of the “Hurricane Cannon” Finisher, where the HyperZoid bends over forwards, the blades unfold back to how they are in vechicle mode, then it uses those blades to send a huge blast of wind at the monster.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hmm... You know, with the last zoid's name, I was expecting a finisher with a bit more intimidation than a big gust of wind. :P
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

*looks at last Zoid*
OH MY GOD SPELLCHECK, QUIT RUINING MY POSTS.
Fixed.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

(some executive somewhere)
sales of the wave one zoids merchandise are down, find a way to make them relevant again.

but the wave two and three completely out class-

Then combine them or something. make that 'Z-15 Formation' thing that one intern was yammering about when you were doing the pre-season designs.

you mean the intern you fired six months ago for being ridiculous and wasting money, after berating him in front of everyone because 'making the props for combining all fifteen machines would kill the budget'?

Yeah him. get him back.

what about the budget?

What about it? It's fine where it is. just do it.

. . . . .
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

:D

Anyway, I've noticed we are starting to hit an end-of-day dip in activity. I'm thinking we should start wrapping things up.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well I know what the kids are going to be watching... Wowzers, that was a lot of work, Lego!
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m not entirely sure, but I think Kolt might be the most experienced member of the group at 17 years, and he’s only really been working for two days.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

He means more specifically the people who have been with the Champions the longest have only been there for three days.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

as tempting as june hanging out with jaken some more is, i've already got the other two at good stopping points and i think CD is getting bored...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

A bit. Most people are winding down their stories or addressing others. A good chunk of the characters have ended their days. Only two people were really addressing a character of mine this time, so there wasn't a whole lot for me to reply to. I would like to start the next day soon. This paragraph is very choppy and disorganized. I'm kind of tired. It's past midnight and I feel kinda bleh...
-Champion Motto