2018/02/16 - Beam Me Up

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2018/02/16 - Beam Me Up

Post by Obbl »

[ Beam Me Up ]

Title Text: captain's log, supplemental, the bridge is suddenly filled with small furry animals. no it's not the tribble thing again

Ominous rumbling
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2018/02/16 - Beam Me Up

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Just as they need him,
Just as Tarot holds the pass;
Just when they need an exit Gate
Just the way to show his class.
The Barkley hero Dallas
returns to the battle fold,
A way to leave the Temple of Doom
A New Hope that never gets old.
Under Babylon’s Five gardens
the fate of the world is played.
The warriors didn’t need him before
but now they’re thankful he stayed.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

The only reason the gang even barely survived the last encounter with the Forgotten is because it was focused on taking Breel away. If the Forgotten has got done with whatever it was going to do with Breel and is on its way back…
…Well, ever hear the phrase “run like the devil himself is behind you?”
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

So it’s going to be just Tarot down there... interesting. I mean yeah, for the safety of everyone else and she’s the only truly capable with magic and stuff. Anyway, good luck Tarot!
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Good luck Tarot. You're going to need it.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

I feel like that wonderful alt-text was waiting to showing up for a long time XD
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh! It's back! Looks like time does flow faster in there. All that searching and getting captured led up to about a few seconds in the mortal world.

And uh, unless Kitsune's gonna actually do anything. Noooot looking great for Tarot. Miiight lose all 3 of em. :?
ImageImageImageImage
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Did anyone of you considered Karishad being one of the omniscient?
ImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

[Elevator music]
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Sharpe Thorne

Post by Sharpe Thorne »

What ever happened to “In case of emergency use stairs”? ;)
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Sharpe Thorne wrote:What ever happened to “In case of emergency use stairs”? ;)
I've always wondered about that. The signs typically say "In Case of Fire, Use Stairs". What if the stairs are on fire?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

huh. the forgotten is coming back.

Innnnteresting.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Don't you love the modesty of an accidental hero? ...and poor Dallas had to battle his way down enduring all that elevator muzak. Sabrina, darlin', sometimes old tech works jes'fine.

But who saves the sorceress? ...are Thomas and Sophie in danger? ...and will Keene make curfew?
Enjoy the weekend, gang. Regards.
Argent

Post by Argent »

TeflonCougar wrote:The signs typically say "In Case of Fire, Use Stairs". What if the stairs are on fire?
No problem, the fire is using the stairs as requested.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Dalas exmachina?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Looks like Dallas will be an unlikely hero and help save the group (minus Keene and Breel of course).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh...wait a minute...I sent the elevator back up..................
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, it's better that you all exit from the temple, Tarot is managing everything, but look like it requires still some time. ;) Doesn't she need Sabrina's help, though? :P No teleporting need! There's right an elevator in front of us, you should have noticed it before. :D
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Wait, can he teleport without a transporter? I don't think he can...

Unless aliens with a transporter are orbiting Earth right now.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

CyberDragon wrote:Wait, can he teleport without a transporter? I don't think he can...

Unless aliens with a transporter are orbiting Earth right now.
if he has a communicator to say "beam us to the entrance" then it doesn't matter if there's no one to actually get the communication, the temple will play that part.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm sensing a remarkable lack of confidence in elevators among the forum members ... or just a riveting revulsion towards muzak.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

And Kitsune is doing... A Fat Loada NOTHING!

Let's face it, the Celestials were pretty much the Millstone/The Load at this point. They did nothing but provide useless info and just acted as Background Props.

Hek, Breel himself was The reason we even had The Forgotten Appear, and has him try and come back to finish what he wanted. Great. :roll: (unlike what The Emoticon is expressing, I am not smiling.)

Frankly, if the Forgotten breaks through, Tarot likely won't even last half of one second. Unless the guys can swap classes, they can't help. No matter how one says that the Forgotten was distracted in taking Breel, I would say that is not the case. You don't need much attention just to swing an arm, after all, and I would say that the Forgotten actually was distracted from taking Breel. Three seconds for an obvious final boss like The Forgotten is a rather long time to do a TPW.

Maybe this is what Eudoant was actually doing. He did this to prevent Keene from stopping Da Forgotten. Don't You think it's strange for him to do all this and basically trap Keene in Hell while Da Forgotten destroys everything just to get another worker? He's basically a Foreman there, so he has to take orders from someone higher up in the ranks.

I mean, even if Tarot closes the Portal, the Milton Ferrets were only motivated by Keene, who is currently trapped in Hell. Without him, it won't be long before the Miltons either end up under Mr Steward or Celia Milton, both whom don't deserve something so pristiege, or would be declared Bankrupt by year's end, since Keene kept them from really absurd spendings. Rock bought a jacket made of diamonds, on the first day of getting their Fortune for Void's Sake! Those things are hard and cold!

Frankly, unless the Teams manage to figure out a way to help Tarot hold back the Forgotten, without getting flattened, Tarot would either be trapped in the Temple, likely by Draining all the Mana and locking herself in another Realm for all eternity, or she dies failing to stop the Forgotten. The only solution I see right now, is to exit the temple and quickly create/buy new hats before reentering it. Paper bag crew would be the quickest, and they better pick wisely... And Frankly, there was No mention of 'Class Locking' through out the Temple Crashers arcs. None at all. That basically means if they reenter the temple again, but as a different class, they can swap class... And Frankly, they NEED to do that.

Peanut was good as Puzzle master, but only against Puzzles. We never saw how he was in Combat, if he even fought at all. Grape had made for a terrible Ninja, since she apparently forgot she has hidden weapons, a trait of a Ninja, and seemed to be incredibly rigid at times. Res was a good heavy hitter, but without a medic, healer or any Support in general, he was only good if the battle ended quickly...

...Which in the case of the Forgotten, they can only try to distract, Which would require thinking like Dallas, which was to think outside the genre. That was something that Pete encouraged, since Bailey was basically a Space Marine, and frankly, Satau was basically a Sentinel from Mass Effect 2 onwards combined with Green Lantern, and that was from the ever so rigid Spirit Dragon!

At this point, going as anything one can think up would be good, an example being supportive classes that can nullify select target powers to allow certain beings to actually fight or for Tarot to not be suddenly interrupted in her Mana Drainage, while at The same time, allowing them to assist in protective abilities to protect their teammates from The Forgotten's powers/attacks. Squeak is a healer, but has No other power. Her Rezzing Spell was useful, but offered No protection from whatever attack/careless arm swing that Forgotten used, while having Ranged Offensive Classes that deal high Damage at a high attack rate and Tanky defensive Classes that can use protective powers... All of which, would require alternate Genres... Or mixing genres.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

John, I think you take this way to seriously. I completely understand you concerns, but without flaws you couldn't make any jokes. I actually have a theory, that Rick has his next 20 stirps basically done in his head, with jokes and wrong decisions of the characters.

Another point is, that you can look at this characters as young teenagers, not knowing how to play correctly and not taking this stuff too seriously. Rick is trying to fit the story to the characters.

Last but not least: Kitsune. Kitsune knows how this story will end, so he basically already know what he will do. So when he doesn't do anything, he knows that this won't end up bad. At least that's how it is theoretically. While I'm writing this, I've come up with a new theory: What if Kitsune can't actually see what is going on in Pete's temple and has to be there personally to monitor everything. After all, from what it look like, the inside of the Temple is a kind of another dimension, probably Pete's personal one, that he were able to change at will, without using his power since it was limited in the game. Remember Dragon's snow-white space in the Gallifrax arc with one door to a personal room? I can imagine the inside of Pete's temple being just behind another door like this. And it would be just logical, that this dimension couldn't be accessed by other, no matter what level, celestial.
And since this room is personal, Kitsune can't foresee what will happen there nor his actions in there, but he was able to see, that when he does not participate, no one gets out again, but when he participates, all or the most will come out again of the temple after a decent time.
Taking this theory as a basic for all celestials, the angels are probably just avatars for the higher celestials like Bahamut to actually see what is going on in there.

I hope you can understand my way of thinking, I usually have issues in explaining my thoughts.
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I think your writing is perfectly lucid, MX.

My impression...which is hardly authoritative...is that the Celestials, like terrestrial, live in a hierarchy which partly determined their powers. Breel, Rufus, Spring, Summer and others are former mortals who have "died and gone to Heaven." Above them are what Sabrina calls "those of Heaven" like Pete and Dragon who have genuine cosmic powers that are limited primarily by stronger Celestials, by gaps (maybe big gaps) in their knowledge and experience, and by emotional immaturity. They are sometimes called "demi-gods." Above them are others like Cerberus and Great Kitsune who are wiser, more experienced, more committed to order in the universes, and...at least in Cerberus's case...have "day jobs". Bahamut, especially as we've seen in King/Joel arcs, stands above the rest of the Heavenly order although he is apparently be holding to a Higher higher power. They seem to be autonomous beings rather than avatars.

Great Kitsune is modeled after the japanese Kami, the nine-tailed fox spirit. Like leprechaun, kitsune are often tricksters, teachers of insights, and good-humored but they can also be dangerous to mortals, even deadly. Our Kitsune likes pets, treats them according to the Principle of Intrinsic Benevolence (that is, somebody learns something and nobody dies), and flits in and out of their lives with a kind of intrigued bemusement. That said, his intrusions often seem more impediments, more "wanton sport", than helpful or instructive. King, for example, finds him more intimidating than protective.

And John has a point - GK could probably end it all happily with a snap of his foxy fingers but he'd rather watch the gang risk and blunder. Of course, if he did do that, there's no adventure, is there?

And what role will/can he play in redeeming the catastrophes Keene and Breel (or Thomas and Sophie) seem entangled in?

Regards.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

NHWestoN wrote: They seem to be autonomous beings rather than avatars.
That's an example of my having issues explaining my thoughts. I don't see the former mortals as classic avatars. I think they are independent, but they have a job to do. The question is, which. My assumption is, that they are just the eyes for higher up celestials.
I understood Breels sentence "It's not a haunting per se..." that Breel and the others are officially just on a haunting mission, but why should 4 known celestials come back to earth for a simultaneous haunting, just before a Pete's temple get raided? I assume it has something more to it.
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

As Breel goes on to say "Certain matters of Celestial gravity simply cannot be handled by mortals." So Breel's here to help. When Tarot and Sabrina call on Fox to draft him for their team, they find him in "snuggle city" with Spring and Summer. The Celestial beauties confirm to Fox ghat this is one of those "end of the world" things. Rufus just kind shows up with Peanut and Grape's team and, after some banter above Rufus being really dead, he stays on. Strangely, no one asks Rufus the obvious question...what are you doing here? So he just kinda ambles quietly alone two steps behind Peanut's bunch.

....and, as several readers have noted, the four haven't contributed much to solving the quest...but the quest ain't over.

Regards.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Well, this does not intefere with my theory.

But talking about this made me think of: What if Keene's mom was sent down instead of Breel? I guess this would have not caused this mess, with the Pandemorium, or would have Keene screamed at his own mother? And if he did, would have the Forgotten appeared, or not? (Rhetorical questions are excluded from my 'No question policy) I mean after all it didn't seemed like Keenes mom was forgotten.

This gave me an idea of how Breel became forgotten, but I have to get all canon facts first and figure a way out to make it sound logical.
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Some more fun reflections, MX. IT appears "the forgot" is hovering on the edge of entering the Temple. So what has it done to Breel? And if "No one is from here", well, Eudoant', that seems about to change...will the Pandemonians try to stop the creature? Or are we about to find out why the Celedtials came along besides smirking bemusement....

Regards and a pleasant evening....
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Ok, this theory is basically based on assuptions, but theese are based on things we know already.

Breel was unloved and not wanted in his mortal life. I assume he has some homosexual behavior. This made him unwanted and something to worry about for his parents. He had probably trouble finding friends because of this. This lead to a depression, which made him jump in front of a train.
Since there are no worries in heaven, his parents kinda forgot about him. Without anyone from earth remembering him, he bacame kind of forgotten.
But at some point Keene appeared and accepted him as he is. Since Keene webt back to earth, Breel had finally a friend from there.This could be the reason, why it was so devestating for Breel to hear Keene denying his help.

Keenes Mom onn the other hand would not be counted as forgotten, since Keene remembered her. Cerebus said, that you can choice how you look lije. When Keene met his mother, his body changed probably because his jounger memories flooded him.
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Interesting reflections, MX...

Breel's mortal life is difficult to reconstruct. I'm not convinced that he died as a result of being hit by a train; I don't think his off-handed remark to Simon that a train wouldn't hurt him anymore clearly and conclusively meant a train killed him. He certainly seemed happy in Heaven with his massage operation.

However, unhappy memories do seem to persist on paradise. Joel/King's encounter with his mother certainly was unpleasant enough. Keene's conversation with his mother hinted of tensions and unresolved issues between them ... and also that Heaven has a way of unsnarling those lingering hurts (like pie). And, as you noted, Keene seems to become a kit again in his mother's arms, even shrinking physically a little.

So, all in all, Breel seemed quite cheery with his heavenly life before running into Keene. His attraction to the ferret seems to be a blend of feelings ... protective, adventurous, curiosity, and a bit of an emotional crush (which may or may not be reciprocated by Keene).

I am unclear how the Celestials got involved in the mana quest. Did they involve themselves on their own intuition or were they chosen and commissioned by a "higher authority". Breel makes clear to Keene that he's here to help but also to insure mortals don't crash the cosmos. Summer and Spring tell Fox the same thing, and Tarot (if not Sabrina) seems to have foreknowledge of their involvement. So it seems reasonable that Breel would assume Keene understands his good intentions ... and Keene doesn't!

I always took Breel for a tender-hearted soul, but I thought he might show more emotional resilience than he did and become so devastated that easily. You'd have thought whoever assigned him (Kitsune?) would have known how vulnerable Keene was and what his dolorous tear would unleash. Shouldn't a sterner soul been chosen to escort someone as over-eager and obtuse as Keene? But I'm thinking with mortal logic, eh?

I guess we'll see. Thanks for your thoughts.
Regards.