2018/01/24 - Rescue Me

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/01/24 - Rescue Me

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/01/24 - Rescue Me]
Title Text: I think we can both agree I know EXACTLY what I'm doing

Well, Tarot, sometimes you have to let a person suffer the consequences if they keep going at it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
ChekeBello

Re: 2018/01/24 - Rescue Me

Post by ChekeBello »

Give Tarot a break, Keene >_>
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

You go Keene! Go and save Breel!
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I like how Tarot is like “I’ve had enough of this, I’m done.”
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Liam

Post by Liam »

It's cute how she still pretends this magic stuff follows any kind of internally consistent rules and Keene couldn't possibly pull that off.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I agree entirely with Keene.

And Rick, I know you're annoyed at us for going on and on about Tarot's character flaws, and I'm sorry, but instead of just going "Alright, I'm washing my hands of this," maybe Tarot should actually be, I don't know, helping Keene now?!
Last edited by leinglo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Yes keene stay there forever :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Keene: I seen the forums!

Tarot: I'm sure you did. *Boots Keene into the realm of the forgotten*

Keene: They believe in meeeeeeeee~ *poof*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh. It just... wanted to take Breel? That's it? I mean that's bad but golly did they dodge a really big bullet there. :?

Also, Keene, the floor is literally LAVA.

leinglo wrote:I agree entirely with Keene.

And Rick, I know you're annoyed at us for going on and on about Tarot's character flaws, and I'm sorry, but instead of just going "Alright, I'm washing my hands of this," maybe Tarot should actually be, I don't know, helping Keene now?!
Feel like you're missing the point of the deadpan stare. She's been doing that this entire comic, no one listened to her. Keene also would not have and did not listen to her or Sabrina about the Mana.
ImageImageImageImage
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Liam wrote:It's cute how she still pretends this magic stuff follows any kind of internally consistent rules and Keene couldn't possibly pull that off.
Tarot has the experience that tells her it's hopeless.

Keene does not.

Tarot is now realising, I think, that this gives Keene a better chance to pull it off than she'd have. He's going into this with a lot more hope than she could.

Sometimes knowing LOSES YOU half the battle...

Sometimes innocence is a shield.
Experience tells what cannot be done,
making a path out of a field
Most of your options are concealed.
Sometimes knowledge is an anchor.
Not free to guess or free to move;
full of doubts and full of rancor,
with optimism a win can be a banker.
Sometimes hope is all you need
and lack of Experience brings it true.
A truth to which Tarot must concede
is, if your doubt is calling? Pay it no heed.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I can't shake this feeling that Tarot did try to warn Keene that something like this would happen.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Liam wrote:It's cute how she still pretends this magic stuff follows any kind of internally consistent rules and Keene couldn't possibly pull that off.
Tarot has the experience that tells her it's hopeless.

Keene does not.

Tarot is now realising, I think, that this gives Keene a better chance to pull it off than she'd have. He's going into this with a lot more hope than she could.
Or she's tired of bothering with a person that's being needlessly difficult so she could care less if he got trapped into nothingness, as it would kill 2 birds with one stone. :lol: (and also a tall dead boi but it's better than everyone ceasing to exist logically)
ImageImageImageImage
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Keene: The least I could do is replace your divot!
So, aside from recognizing that as a golf term, I have no idea what he means in this context. Was that a threat of some kind?

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Gbr23 wrote:I like how Tarot is like “I’ve had enough of this, I’m done.”
Well in a sense, Keene is right. No One knew the risk of the whole World being Swallowed up, aside from Tarot, Sabrina And the Celestials... And I use Sabrina here very loosely, since all I can get is that she hangs around Tarot, who may Or may not have been told her.

...And yet, we see in a previous scene where Sabrina got her tail kicked by what was likely an idle swing from 'Der Forgotten'. Either it was stronger than expected, Or she was unable to prepare since she was told nothing about the Forgotten.

And just because it has the name 'The Forgotten', doesn't mean it's not unknown. It just means it's NAME has been forgotten. That means it would likely have a massive amount of data on it, aside from it's lack of a true name... Data That Tarot knew, but never gave. It's like she expected to swoop in and solve the problem herself... Which I note has always involved her getting physical. The only times she's ever used words to great effect was when she dealt with Spirit Dragon's past self, and That was because she knew her well.
Lienglo wrote:I agree entirely with Keene.

Well said. Keene is willing to fix a mistake caused by three of them, those being Tarot, Breel and Keene himself, and just because Keene points out the fact that Tarot should have given them the info right from the begining rather than act all Cryptic, she gives up!?
Or she's tired of bothering with a person that's being needlessly difficult so she could care less if he got trapped into nothingness, as it would kill 2 birds with one stone. :lol: (and also a tall dead boi but it's better than everyone ceasing to exist logically)
Uhhh... Big Problem. That would mean having the Milton Furrets without their main head. As much As Keene is unlikable, he's been the sole reason Babylon Gardens can keep itself the way it is. Lana doesn't have enough of a Role to actually show her 'Stuff' and I suspect she lacks the Drive of Continuing Henry Milton's Dream of Pet/Human Unification.

His Methods are Questionable, yes, but he's relatively speaking the sane One of the Ferrets, Lana being the only other, and the One who was reason The Wolves got a degree of Citizenship, where they would otherwise be shot after a while of people screaming.

Also, that would mean The Miltons would have been Declared Bankrupt long ago, Or be tricked into loosing their inheritance to Thomas and Celia, who As we've seen, could care less of any pet or persons, and would constantly cut costs to make sure they have money. As much As I want to trust Lana, I find I can't really, since Lana doesn't have enough appearances and I can't Even tell If she has The same drive As Keene to carry out The Dream.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Bandit1990 wrote:
So, aside from recognizing that as a golf term, I have no idea what he means in this context. Was that a threat of some kind?
Divot is a hole left after a swing. It's filled in for the next guy so they don't have to play on a "damaged" green. Basically, what I can tell is that Keene is saying that he'll fix the problem Tarot made, basically placing the blame for this on her.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

ChekeBello wrote:Give Tarot a break, Keene >_>
Why? Keene's exactly right. She didn't tell anyone anything useful. Just expected them to do what she said based on because I said so.
leinglo wrote:maybe Tarot should actually be, I don't know, helping Keene now?!
This.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:She's been doing that this entire comic, no one listened to her.
The only thing she's been doing is demanding people do what she said and providing zero reasons why they should.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

For the love of all that is good and beautiful in this world can we please stop talking about how terrible of a person Tarot and/or Keene is/are and how many mistakes he/she/they have made and instead talk about how a terrifying goat monster took Breel into the place of nothingness and how awesome it will be to see the rescue attempt! Just... wow! I am only reading the comments at this point because I feel a responsibility to do so as a mod! Can you imagine how it must feel to other readers? Let it go, people! There's plenty of blame to be had and plenty of forgiveness that could be offered. I don't personally care anymore which character you give those to.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

John-056 wrote:Uhhh... Big Problem. That would mean having the Milton Furrets without their main head. As much As Keene is unlikable, he's been the sole reason Babylon Gardens can keep itself the way it is. Lana doesn't have enough of a Role to actually show her 'Stuff' and I suspect she lacks the Drive of Continuing Henry Milton's Dream of Pet/Human Unification.

His Methods are Questionable, yes, but he's relatively speaking the sane One of the Ferrets, Lana being the only other, and the One who was reason The Wolves got a degree of Citizenship, where they would otherwise be shot after a while of people screaming.

Also, that would mean The Miltons would have been Declared Bankrupt long ago, Or be tricked into loosing their inheritance to Thomas and Celia, who As we've seen, could care less of any pet or persons, and would constantly cut costs to make sure they have money. As much As I want to trust Lana, I find I can't really, since Lana doesn't have enough appearances and I can't Even tell If she has The same drive As Keene to carry out The Dream.
Never said Tarot was being rational. I'm saying that Tarot's reaction is pretty realistic, especially for someone who really only ever thinks of otherworldly stuff and apparently used to just be a stray traveling for Dragon. She also has literally never met Breel up until this very point. :P

ALSO they should actually be considered kind of lucky that, instead of immediately pulling the world into nothing, The Forgotten only pulled Breel into nothing and walked off. 1 life (er, afterlife) over 7billion+ lives is, as grim as it sounds, quite reasonable ^^;

Also also also, Comedy.

Argent wrote:The only thing she's been doing is demanding people do what she said and providing zero reasons why they should.
"Don't do that! The world's gonna end!"

"Why?"

"Cause the world will be pulled into nothingness!"

"What do you mean nothingness?"

"It will become NOTHING!"

"Okay yes but what do you mean nothing!?"

"NOTHING!"

"SO WHATS THE PROBLEM?!"

Not exactly an easy or believable conversation to have :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

D-Rock wrote:
Bandit1990 wrote:
Divot is a hole left after a swing. It's filled in for the next guy so they don't have to play on a "damaged" green. Basically, what I can tell is that Keene is saying that he'll fix the problem Tarot made, basically placing the blame for this on her.
And that's really the only part of Keene's statement I'd object to, as this isn't Tarot's divot, specifically. This isn't entirely Tarot's fault. But, she does have her fair share of responsibility, and now with Breel's soul on the line, and with Keene ready to jump in to try and save him, Tarot needs to be backing Keene up, not backing out because she's frustrated.
Obbl wrote:For the love of all that is good and beautiful in this world can we please stop talking about how terrible of a person Tarot and/or Keene is/are and how many mistakes he/she/they have made and instead talk about how a terrifying goat monster took Breel into the place of nothingness and how awesome it will be to see the rescue attempt! Just... wow! I am only reading the comments at this point because I feel a responsibility to do so as a mod! Can you imagine how it must feel to other readers? Let it go, people! There's plenty of blame to be had and plenty of forgiveness that could be offered. I don't personally care anymore which character you give those to.
[points at the comic page, innocent expression on face] Keene started it this time!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

And we now turn to the "Is Keene gonna actually save him?" discussion piece, the actually important discussion piece here :lol:

I'm banking on no, I'd honestly rather him not somehow hero his way through this. I don't even see a way he can succeed, I feel like it's gonna end up being a scenario where he tries his best and proves to Breel he actually cares (thought that counts eh?) but then get saved by Kitsune or Bahamut. Nice lesson, also a bit more realistic of an outcome and could make for a silly bit or two.

I mean, rationally speaking I don't think Breel SHOULD be saved since this is better than the Forgotten taking all of existance, but Breel didn't really SELF sacrifice himself so it doesn't quite feel right. It's not like Breel said "DON'T follow me" :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I'm banking on no, I'd honestly rather him not somehow hero his way through this. I don't even see a way he can succeed, I feel like it's gonna end up being a scenario where he tries his best and proves to Breel he actually cares (thought that counts eh?) but then get saved by Kitsune or Bahamut. Nice lesson, also a bit more realistic of an outcome and could make for a silly bit or two.
I don't know, as Welsh pointed out, Keene isn't constrained by what is or isn't possible where celestial/infernal/supernatural matters are concerned, and in the crazy way this stuff works that may yet give him some manner of fighting chance. But for the most part, I think you are right in that he cannot succeed on his own. Keene needs help.

Speaking of which, where are Kitsune and the other celestial guides anyway?
Arch3t3ct

Post by Arch3t3ct »

Obbl wrote:For the love of all that is good and beautiful in this world can we please stop talking about how terrible of a person Tarot and/or Keene is/are and how many mistakes he/she/they have made and instead talk about how a terrifying goat monster took Breel into the place of nothingness and how awesome it will be to see the rescue attempt! Just... wow! I am only reading the comments at this point because I feel a responsibility to do so as a mod! Can you imagine how it must feel to other readers? Let it go, people! There's plenty of blame to be had and plenty of forgiveness that could be offered. I don't personally care anymore which character you give those to.
Someone give this man an award. :lol:
Like, I know this whole issue has been brought up before, but this is the first time I've seen someone go as far as making a completely off-topic comment about it. Ill just say this real fast since I'm a little late in this reply. Some characters in this comic have flaws. Some of their flaws get better or worse over-time as the comic continues. You may not like a character at all because of their flaws and/or you disagree with their motives, and there's nothing wrong with that. But constantly ragging on them in the comic discussions is a little harsh. There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving an opinion as this is a comic discussion, but people go to extreme detail and go way off topic over what's happening in the actual strip in these discussions just to explain why they don't like a character. Yes, some make valid points about the character's flaws. But other readers who like these characters also browse these forums and don't like constantly reading negative and/or violent comments towards their favorite characters, such as "Keene should throw Tarot at the Forgotten beast because she never explained anything" (actual previous comment). That's just unnecessary. It's time to stop. In the end, I think we can all come to agree with the fact that this is a comic made to entertain us, and does a real good job at it.
(Okay, enough of my rant. Being "off topic" myself, so I should stop :lol: )
celtcath74

Post by celtcath74 »

well, Keene sure has his work cut out for him.
ieperen3039

Post by ieperen3039 »

I doubt the Celestials can open a portal to the Forgotten dimension without paying some price for it.
Still though, what others pointed out as well, it is probably going to be a Deux Ex Machina. and hopefully an EPIC one

Maybe unrelated, but Maxwell has not been seen since he read the scroll. Just like Rick has Forgotten to draw him...
Argent

Post by Argent »

The problem is that this is exactly on topic, it's exactly what Keene is saying, and Keene is exactly correct. Tarot should be helping, at least providing Keene with amulets and other mystical tools, not just going "meh" and quoting the Evil Overlord list at him.

I'm hoping for Peanut to shame her into joining the upcoming expedition. He's the only one she (briefly) pays attention to.

Like "OK, we still have most of the Mana here, let's get you all decked out in mystic armor (blip), with talking swords (blip yakkety yak) and magical flying motorcycles (blip) and amulets of protection (blip) and wands (blip) and a bag of holding (blip bloop) (blip) (blip) and camel barding (blip)".

Why do we need camel barding?

For those two!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's always "relevant". That doesn't mean people have to drag in their opinions on Tarot as a person again and again and again and again.
In your post, you're even going out of your way to include "tone" in your writing to color our reading of your words so that there is no doubt of the negative feelings. I've been putting up with this being at the least a plurality of the comments for basically the run of this arc (since about the time Tarot entered the picture...) I'm tired.

I ask that people take a moment of time when composing a post to remove their personal judgements on the characters themselves.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

You're absolutely right :) We should focus on the situation at hand!
Go Keene! Save Breel!!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Alright, gang! New mission! We're all going to He-l....!"
Peanut, curb your enthusiasm....
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

I'm gonna be the one to say it, since a lot of folks here have lost sight of the fact that: Yes, mistakes were made. (I have my own personal opinion on the matter but I am reluctant to share it based on the amount of vitriol in the comments section lately.) But whether you agree with Tarot, Keene, neither, or both, it's telling that people are getting extremely emotional about the comic, and that the writing resonates with us so deeply that it's sparking such colorful, heated debate.

Can we please take a moment for thank Rick for all of his hard work on this arc? It probably isn't easy treading the line between serious plot line and comedic tension and release, and I just don't want to lose sight of the fact that a LOT of amazing work has gone into the writing and drawing of the strips lately. Have you seen the amount of (digital) ink on each page?
Last edited by rourkie on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

rourkie wrote:Can we please take a moment for thank Rick for all of his hard work on this arc?
Agreed! Thank you Rick!
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hear, hear, and Bravo, rourkie and CyberDragon !! Thanks to Rick for a cavalcade of jaw-dropping art and a complex, challenging rollercoaster of a yarn !!

... and perhaps, to echo Obbi, we might be a little gentler with the characters...and each other. I shuddered at today's episode, too, and for Breel's apparent fate. But...then...there is the next panel and Friday's comin'!

Regards
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

I would share my thoughts more in depth but I see there's been quite enough of that already, so I'll just leave it at Keene didn't look before he leaped and is trying to shift the blame, or so it looks to me.

But a thanks to Rick for giving us this engaging and dramatic, while still humorous arc!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

You can do it, Keene! And if not, there’s a very small army of angels to help! :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:I would share my thoughts more in depth but I see there's been quite enough of that already, so I'll just leave it at Keene didn't look before he leaped and is trying to shift the blame, or so it looks to me.

But a thanks to Rick for giving us this engaging and dramatic, while still humorous arc!
I agree with the first one. I completly agree.

I also want to agree with the second one, because I really like where this is going. I also enjoyed the arc with Sasha, Fox, and Mungo. It really, REALLY shows how far this webcomic has come. It went from small little arcs, which just showed the day to day life of the pets, to long arcs in which there is more to it, than it seems in the beginning and how the pets do their best to overcome powers greater than themselves and even if they have help from someone or something else, they still struggle to do their best.
Also I have to mention the humour never feels out of place (at least to me), which helps to prevent to make the stories too one-sided. It makes everything more lively, and colorful.
There isn't any character in this, there I would say "I don't like him/her, he/she should be scratched from the comic".
I really enjoy the whole thing :mrgreen:
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's nice see Keene suddenly worried about Breel, there's still some good heart in that ferret... :) Ah, Tarot, we know that's really dangerous, but Keene has a point saying so, since tractably you never explained how that could happen. ;) Eheheh, Tarot is now so annoyed to don't care of him. :P Well, good luck, Keene! :D I hope the other angels will really do something, too.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

It's a shame it had to be Keene that did it, but FINALLY someone calls out Tarot on being one of the least helpful characters in the comic. She really does drive me up a wall sometimes.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ryusuta wrote:It's a shame it had to be Keene that did it, but FINALLY someone calls out Tarot on being one of the least helpful characters in the comic. She really does drive me up a wall sometimes.
I'm sure that's going to make her more helpful after this arc.

I'm actually curious how they will get out of this one, though. I highly doubt Keene is going to save Breel. And that hat didn't help the others =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

In Operation Chaos, Steven Matuchek and Ginny Greylock invaded hell with a werewolf, a witch, a black cat, and two spirits from heaven.

They've got a weretiger, two witches, two black cats (and a purple one), three spirits from heaven, a barbarian, a Star Trek officer, and a couple of wizards. Piece of cake.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

..... but ...... there's Karishad .....
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:They've got a weretiger, two witches, two black cats (and a purple one), three spirits from heaven, a barbarian, a Star Trek officer, and a couple of wizards. Piece of cake.
One Black Cat appears to have changed places with Keene - so, possibly, is in the Ferrets bed - and the Star Trek Lieutenant 'Dallas' Barkley was sent home by Qarishad.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)