2017/10/30 - Puts The “Fun” In Imagination

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2017/10/30 - Puts The “Fun” In Imagination

Post by D-Rock »

[2017/10/30 - Puts The “Fun” In Imagination]
Title Text: in other words it's not the kind of fun where you feel a sense of accomplishment having overcome great odds, you just win or you die

You know, the kind of stuff that you REALLY don't want to figure out as you go.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2017/10/30 - Puts The “Fun” In Imagination

Post by Saturn381 »

Isn't magic and supernatural kinda the same as imagination? :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saturn381 wrote:Isn't magic and supernatural kinda the same as imagination? :P
It is from the artist's perspective. to the people playing it it depends on how they were taught to use it.

Tarot, your collar is slipping in the third panel =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

It’s okay Tarot, not everyone has the same level of creativity!
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

So Tarot's upbringing emphasized applying rigid logic, control, and practicality to forces that are inherently chaotic and unpredictable.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Bandit1990 wrote:So Tarot's upbringing emphasized applying rigid logic, control, and practicality to forces that are inherently chaotic and unpredictable.
Ever try to summon a being from the deepest depths of Tartarus? There's a lot of specific steps involved to keep it from actually going wild.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Bandit1990 wrote:So Tarot's upbringing emphasized applying rigid logic, control, and practicality to forces that are inherently chaotic and unpredictable.
Like Peanut!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Wait a minute, Tarot was raised to deal with magic and the supernatural? Just what kind of insane puppyhood did she have?
Come to think of it, beyond her bond with Dragon, have any real details about Tarot's past ever been brought up?
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

Can someone post that gif of Spongebob saying "Imagination" on here? I don't know how and am ashamed because of it.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs..."
you'll be Sabrina, my son.

It’s not fair if it’s not yours!
Comes the cry from the others.
All of whom have their flaws
and bicker like familial brothers.
Sabrina’s the only cool head there,
arbitrating the chaos around.
With wizards, warriors and axe guys
her judgement’s still just sound.
Fox holes Tarots’ mean guff
as Sabrina takes a swipe.
Though, considering she’s in a rush,
will Tarot just stand and gripe?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
John-056

Post by John-056 »

leinglo wrote:Wait a minute, Tarot was raised to deal with magic and the supernatural? Just what kind of insane puppyhood did she have?
Come to think of it, beyond her bond with Dragon, have any real details about Tarot's past ever been brought up?
That's something I've been questioning for quite a long while ever since the We're Snowed In! Arc. I personally want to see more backstory on Tarot, since she's got pretty much no real development and seems to be going a bit backwards since Dragon Became Mortal... Wait, scratch that, since she made Peanut make those Choices during THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL~ *WEWAAAHHHHH~ DUM-DUMMA-DUM DUM-DUMMA-Da-DUNNN, DUMMA-DA-Dun-DUNNNN~*

(That's the Doctor Who theme I was trying to pull off, you know, the one before Matt Smith took over as the Doctor.)
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ah, but can Peanut solve all the puzzles automatically? (And is the temple all puzzles?) Or did he really just get a high "intelligence score"?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

Saturn381 wrote:Isn't magic and supernatural kinda the same as imagination? :P
When they're real, they're just as practical as chemistry or accounting.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ohhh learning a bit about Tarots backstory. Something I don't think we have ever even touched before this strip.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I always assumed we never saw her owner because she was a physical embodiment of dragon, just like the old man was pete.
she was probably recruited straight from the breeders as a however-many-weeks-old pup.
it would also explain why she lives with Sabrina these days. no dragon = no house.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Timon64

Post by Timon64 »

Oh man Tarot was raised this way?, :shock: she didn't choose to pursue the mystic lifestyle? I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that she must have had quite the sad puppyhood, interesting as all heck but sad nonetheless. I mean not having much of an imagination kinda speaks for itself now that I think about it. :( Also my appreciation for all her times in the Imaginate! arks have grown Tenfold (sees Tarot's adorble smiles with paperbag over head) Make that Hundredfold. :D Man that much more craving her backstory ark! 8-) I'm surprised curious Peanut has never asked her about it yet. Also those nerds....can they please shut it already? This isn't your little board game breh :lol:
Last edited by Timon64 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
....Count on it!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I think we see the problem with Tarot in the fact that she sees magic(k) and the supernatural as practicalities. That would also explain why they had so many issues with using her as a holodeck when she had the power: she took many things to literally.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

While Peanut may lack fighting skills, he's absolutely OP as far as puzzles are concerned. Also, I think Sabrina might be a little secretly nerdy herself as she knows who Spock is.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The guys are complaining.

They're roleplaying in a live action killzone.

If, in a company crossover, Arcade's murderworld turned up in Gotham when Batman's on the moon, these guys would complain if Riddler wanted to help them out.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Wait.... So if that's the case he really could have written DM on the hat?

Also.... Kitsune made a cameo appearance but that seems like it didn't amount to much. Was he just taking a moment to mess with everyone? And why hasn't team nerd noticed that a suddenly added member is now missing?
Image Image
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Adoring Fan wrote:Also.... Kitsune made a cameo appearance but that seems like it didn't amount to much. Was he just taking a moment to mess with everyone? And why hasn't team nerd noticed that a suddenly added member is now missing?
Kitsune's always there, he's just conveniently off panel and avoiding the eyes of the others. I mean he literally explained what he was doing directly to the audience, not why, but what. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

This 'imagination' thing kinda reminds me of LEGO Universe and how imagination was one of its central themes.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, Sabrina, they were talking about a pretty nonsense thing. What do they want now? ;) Eheh, Mr. Dalmatian. :P I see, Squeak... That's right for a good and fair playing of the D&D game, but the temple allowed to realize that brilliant idea by Peanut, so... Indeed, Tarot, for the temple doesn't matter if it's fun or not. Ahah, you're right, Sabrina. :D Tarot actually sucks with imagination and fantasy, which are best with Peanut; she focuses more on those practicalities (but well, they're not so real and normal, though). :) But, do you have those qualities, Sabrina? :P
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Adoring Fan wrote:Wait.... So if that's the case he really could have written DM on the hat?

Also.... Kitsune made a cameo appearance but that seems like it didn't amount to much. Was he just taking a moment to mess with everyone? And why hasn't team nerd noticed that a suddenly added member is now missing?
I just wanna know where Rufus went.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

CanzetYote wrote:
Adoring Fan wrote:Wait.... So if that's the case he really could have written DM on the hat?

I just wanna know where Rufus went.
We just saw him at the camp! Come on guys! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... a catty little payback from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice", eh, Sabrina? Just saying thanks for ordering me to jump in front of Mungo the Mongrel Mountain, Tarot, while you smack the sauce out of Sasha...
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

John-056 wrote:
leinglo wrote:I personally want to see more backstory on Tarot, since she's got pretty much no real development and seems to be going a bit backwards since Dragon Became Mortal... Wait, scratch that, since she made Peanut make those Choices during THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL~
IMHO, on the contrary, I think Tarot has been getting more development since the game ended. That is to say, perhaps it is backwards, and she was already getting a little shakey/sassy/snappy since, indeed, Galifrax. but in a way in which she can only go up from here as the comic goes on and she learns to cope with being a little more ordinary. Since the beginning, Tarot has always had a strong, unwavering, self-composed front where she doesn't let anything get past her, but now we're seeing more of her vulnerabilities, ability-wise and emotionally (like her outburst in the 5000 BC arc), making her a more believeable and relatable character: a pragmatic person who only wants everything to be orderly, getting frustrated when losing that control because no one else is willing to listen to logic. Man, how I relate to that.

Needless to say, it always makes me happy to see more Tarot.

EDIT: also it's amusing to know that Tarot lacks imagination, which is heavily in contrast to Peanut's ever-flowing imagination.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

RemonyRavine wrote:
John-056 wrote:I personally want to see more backstory on Tarot, since she's got pretty much no real development and seems to be going a bit backwards since Dragon Became Mortal... Wait, scratch that, since she made Peanut make those Choices during THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL~
IMHO, on the contrary, I think Tarot has been getting more development since the game ended. That is to say, perhaps it is backwards, and she was already getting a little shaky/sassy/snappy since, indeed, Gallifrax. but in a way in which she can only go up from here as the comic goes on and she learns to cope with being a little more ordinary. Since the beginning, Tarot has always had a strong, unwavering, self-composed front where she doesn't let anything get past her, but now we're seeing more of her vulnerabilities, ability-wise and emotionally (like her outburst in the 5000 BC arc), making her a more believeable and relatable character: a pragmatic person who only wants everything to be orderly, getting frustrated when losing that control because no one else is willing to listen to logic. Man, how I relate to that.

Needless to say, it always makes me happy to see more Tarot.

EDIT: also it's amusing to know that Tarot lacks imagination, which is heavily in contrast to Peanut's ever-flowing imagination.
Well, Tarot never was ordinary to begin with. She may have lost the Psychic bond, but she's still got power. She just needs to build it up close to what it was back when she had the Bond with Peanut. Pragmatic? That may be so, but sometimes, it feels like she just views much of her 'Friends' as Pawns in a Chessgame.

And getting Frustrated? Sure we all get that, but sometimes it feels like she blows it too far out of proportion at times. And even then, Tarot's been shown to be disconnected at times from other people, including her own Boyfriend, who goes out of his way to be a good boyfriend, and she barely even acknowledges him.

Frankly, I hope she gets a proper backstory. I can't really sympathize with her if I don't even know what her past was like. I mean, she's just throwing out Vague words here and there to try and give some poor telling of her past... Which just feels like throwaways. I mean, the Fact that her imagination Sucks kinda tells us that she may actually not be fit to be a leader, since you need a good imagination to think on your feet.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I love how you so firmly draw basically the exact opposite conclusion from me with such frequency. And you state it like you very confidently believe everyone will agree, and yet I just don't. It gives me such an interesting look into a different mind ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Diff'rent views ... Just part of the "Fun" of visiting Babylon Gardens. ...And backstories are always intriguing.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Oh, yes, indeed! I'd love more backstory on literally everyone :D
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Obbl wrote:I love how you so firmly draw basically the exact opposite conclusion from me with such frequency. And you state it like you very confidently believe everyone will agree, and yet I just don't. It gives me such an interesting look into a different mind ;)
Uhhh... If you're talking to me, It's actually not that frequent. And I don't believe anyone would agree with what I write, I just had this unbearable itch to write down SOMETHING on the subject related to the comic, and I feel uncomfortable otherwise. As for it being the Opposite, it's likely just random chance... Or as you said, different minds.

If you were talking to someone else, ignore the above.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yep, talking to you. And it's a lot more frequent than I write. 's what makes it so interesting :D
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Just realized something. Tarot said she was 'Raised into Magicks and the Supernatural', or at least, the Technical parts of it, since those two subjects as a whole require imagination, something that Mortals would teach about to children/Kittens/Puppies/Kits/Cubs.

Does that mean that Tarot was literally raised from birth by Dragon to be a 'Perfect' avatar, to follow what she says with rarely a question? Rather disturbing if that is the case, since it would basically mean that Tarot was only a Willing Avatar, because she didn't know any better.

Going further on that Theory, her Controlling and Bossy Attitute is likely a leftover from Dragon, who's been known for self-contradiction and hiding truths to forward her own agendas.

Once again, not evil, in case anyone jumps on me for that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Tarot, like so many of the BGarden community, have so much mystery in their background. We know little about the origins of her relationship to Dragon but it might indeed have come very early in life if not puppyhood. The image of Dragon latching on to her from birth is chilling. Perhaps, as a young dog, introverted, alone, and interested in magic, Tarot succumbed to Dragon's entitlements of power and wisdom. Ultimately, as we saw in the final showdown, mortals can ultimately defy even demi-gods and get away with it.

For Tarot, there are innumerable and draining burdens, emotional, personal, and professional. First, the strains of dealing with immature, manipulative beings like Pete and Dragon. There's as well the challenge of trying to be humble and nurturing with unobstructed mortals when all of them ... even Sabrina ... are such dolts and blockheads. They don't appreciate the air of superiority and the hint of dementia (like Grape says on meeting Tarot for the first time, "...the girl's completely insane!"). But it's not so much arrogance perhaps as a lonely sense of responsibility, that Tarot .... like Faust ... is reserved and intimidated by the powers swirling around her.

Even with Sabrina and Peanut, you sense an emotional distancing. With Sabrina, Tarot probably follows the old practice of maintaining the ancient practice of the teacher keeping a certain aloofness with students and apprentices. Sabrina seems, with occasional displays of irritation or hurt, to accept this as the price of learning. Indeed, at times, they are genuinely friendly, but never quite warm, more close associates in a common venture than actual friends. They certainly aren't King/Joel and Fox.

Similarly, I don't see much affection between her and Peanut. (Full disclosure: writer is something of a "Grapenut".) There have been a couple of amusing episodes, such as Rick's little tease on the "Lady and the Tramp Spaghetti Smooch", and I love those moments when his characters treat each other with tenderness in the lunacy of their lives. What I miss are the examples of genuine passion we've seen with King and Bailey or Fido and Sabrina. In the Eggtjan arc, when Tarot breaks down from exhaustion and a sense of failure, the episode where Peanut comforts her is surprisingly tender and moving - but that's partly because we almost never see them as a caring couple. More often, Tarot comes off as hectoring and controlling, more a parent with a child. I keep thinking of the old "Jesus Christ Superstar" ballad, "I don't know how to love him" when I watch Tarot with our hero. I'm reminded, too, of how Peanut and Grape struggle to define their love for each other and settle for a kind of tentativenes instead of, say, what Fido and Sabrina have boldly seized. So, Tarot is, for me, for now, something of a tragic, hurting figure (not unlike Fox).

Let me close kind. Remember when Tarot and Sabrina come home from Australia. They open the door and Fido flings himself on his beloved with an enraptured "SABY !!". They fall to the ground and much smoochies mark their reunion. Total opposite, Peanut welcomes Tarot with s disappointingly restrained affection and, when Tarot points out the contrast, he defends himself by noting that he wagged his tail. Karishad Fox then jumps out, give Tarot a warm and cruising embrace, and his affection totally unfazed by Tarot's stiff and rather brusque reaction. In later episodes, we see these two interacting and what is different here - Tarot is just simply, seriously HAPPY! She clearly delights in the fox's company, and it is Karishad who holds her aloft to catch the bride's bouquet at Bailey's wedding.

Now, please understand. I am NOT "shipping" Tarot and Karishad (although Karishad really does seem to find her intriguing)! What these episodes reveal, however, is something sublime and - because this IS Housepets! world - tenderly hilarious. Tarot, whatever her emotional impediments, can feel JOY ! And that's part of why I read this saga. These characters are hilarious, creative, wondrously drawn, and very, very real.

Regards
Last edited by D-Rock on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Removing innapropriate references.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

John-056 wrote:Does that mean that Tarot was literally raised from birth by Dragon
Most likely raised by Dragon's previous avatar since power can accumulate over generations of avatars (which seems to imply less a physical genealogy and more a passing the torch concept).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Which, projecting back to Satau, is an alarming progeny of avatars ... and then stops with Tarot and/or Sabrina.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yep, 150 avatars (+Sabrina who was still the apprentice)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hmmmmmm.... Small, pointless sidebar. Wonder if Sabrina's attraction to Fido echoes a particular part of her magical predilections or that's just Sabrina's own charming character?