Roleplaying Forums Main Out-Of-Character Thread

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Deske

Re: Roleplaying Forums Main Out-Of-Character Thread

Post by Deske »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:What do you need it for? If it's just the internet and some light programming, you only need a cheap one. If you're gaming or program intensive, you'll need to go higher. Also be aware of the ones that say they have 32gb storage. It sounds a lot. But that's INCLUDING the Operating system and all the drivers. you could well end up with 5gb of memory or less on the computer and you may have to buy cloud storage for the rest. Older Windows 10, 8.1 and 7's all have bigger hard drives built in.
You're thinking of tablets with a keyboard connected. I'd highly recommend steering clear of those. Unnecessary and you can get more for the same amount of money. Even a low tier Dell has a TB of space. For instance, this Lenovo IdeaPad has Windows 10, 1TB of space and enough power to run a browser and some programs for under $400.
Buster wrote:if you're on a budget, Look for a model thats a year or two out of date, it's specs wont be ideal but will still be reasonable compared to it's current version, and it'll cost you half as much. also, laptops should NOT be used for things that require a lot of rendering and physics calculation, (3d modeling programs, higher end AAA games) as they're often too small to house dedicated supplemental computation hardware or adequate cooling systems. The ones that aren't cost $2-4k, for hardware that would have been $1-2k had you just ordered desktop parts and put it together yourself, because miniaturization without loss of function is expensive.
That's also fairly inaccurate. With the release of nVidias newest series of graphics cards they did away with the whole 'mobile' platform. Prices have actually gone down quite a bit.

If you're on a budget stick to what you can afford. You can get a terabyte of space for under $500 if you stick with lower end Dells and Lenovos.
If you've got the cash to spare, you can get a capable gaming laptop for under $1300 if you get a mid tier Asus, MSi or another company like Gigabyte or CyberPowerPC. Capable meaning, an i7, a GTX 1060 and enough space for larger games.
An example would be the Asus FX502VM which has an i7, a GTX 1060, a 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD for $1120.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I know the ideapad well. I bought last year's model a couple of months ago for £260 Inc. Insurance.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Deske wrote:An example would be the Asus FX502VM which has an i7, a GTX 1060, a 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD for $1120.
which specific i7 they vary wildly from single core to 10 core and all over the spectrum of speeds and features, how much vram does the 1060 have, how much ram does the machine itself have, what type and speed of ram, what are the specs for it's cooling performance, and what effect does said cooling have on battery life? cause, you cant determine if it's equivalent from broad generalizations, and equivalent specs aren't actually equivalent if the machine is automatically under-clocking/throttling itself to keep from overheating.

as for smaller parts no longer costing significantly more for the same results, that has to be a recent thing, cause that wasn't the case when i was parts shopping 6 months ago.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

7700HQ more than likely. I find it humorous that you would mention a single core i7, which I've never heard of, and a 10 core which obviously wouldn't be within the price range. If you're just trying to poke holes in my solutions, please try harder. Anyway, 6GB for a 1060, probably 16GB which is enough for normal gaming and usage, DDR4, speed is inconsequential when not using AMDs Ryzen series because Intel processors don't benefit from faster ram. Obviously cooling isn't going to be the best because it's a laptop. But considering the fact that the nVidia 10-series has less or similar TDP for more power than the 9-series, cooling effectiveness has improved. It's not cooling that has an effect on battery life it's how much power is used by the components. In fact, if it gets hot enough to throttle itself battery usage would probably go down simply because it would be using less power in order to moderate it's temperatures. In any case it should be obvious that the upgraded graphics card is going to be better than the old series. It would be a stupid idea to try and get a model that's outdated because you'd get less performance for the price you paid. You can practically determine equivalency across a broad spectrum with such a generalization because unlike desktops, laptops are built in relatively the same manner with the same basic components. It's only when you start getting into obnoxious price ranges where you run into fancy tech such as mechanical keyboards and dual SLI cards which is unnecessary for general gaming. As far as I know there aren't 40 different versions of graphics cards for laptops like there are for desktops. So Yes they are generally all equivalent or at least in the same range. If you want to go ahead and spend over 2K on the same specs you can get for under 1500, just for your need for unnecessary cooling wants which are just that, unnecessary.

As for your comments on smaller parts no longer costing significantly more for the same results, I don't know what you're referring to. All I said was that the cost of laptops have gone down greatly so your comment on the cost being $2-4K for a laptop with adequate cooling for gaming was wrong, which it is unless you want to go really high, in which case it'd be better to just build a desktop, but that's not what were talking about.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Deske wrote:Obviously cooling isn't going to be the best because it's a laptop.
Which was my entire point.
Deske wrote:It's not cooling that has an effect on battery life it's how much power is used by the components.
fans draw power, the fans having to ramp up their RPM to compensate for more heat effects battery life. This is not throttling.
Deske wrote:using less power in order to moderate it's temperatures.
This is throttling, and will reduce computation speeds and performance under load.
Deske wrote:In any case it should be obvious that the upgraded graphics card is going to be better than the old series. It would be a stupid idea to try and get a model that's outdated because you'd get less performance for the price you paid. You can practically determine equivalence across a broad spectrum with such a generalization because unlike desktops, laptops are built in relatively the same manner with the same basic components. It's only when you start getting into obnoxious price ranges where you run into fancy tech such as mechanical keyboards and dual SLI cards which is unnecessary for general gaming.
and this entire section appears to be based on a false assumption. I wasn't saying to go with the previous generation because it was better, i was saying to do it because it was dirt-cheap since nobody wants them now that the new shiny thing is out, (75%off sales triggered by non-existent demand are your friend) and the spec difference doesn't matter because you shouldn't be using a laptop for things that need high specs at all, because cooling problems inherent to being a laptop mean they cant always deliver.

Actually, the majority of this argument seems to be based around that misconception...

also the bit about equivalence was laptop vs desktop, not laptop vs laptop, and SLI is a scam cause it doesn't even work right half the time.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

If cooling is your main point then recommending previous gen is a bad idea. Newer gens produce less heat thus requiring less energy expenditure on cooling.
I'm pretty sure this is a fallacy but all of the times I've used a laptop to game, I've never had a problem with them underperforming. Maybe because I expected it because it was a laptop. Maybe because the components in a laptop have higher thermal limits. For example most desktop CPUs throttle at 85C. All of the laptops I've had were fine until 100C.

I don't think Roo is a gamer. Maybe he should just go with a thinkpad.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I play minecraft and very, very occasionally Second Life. Other than that it would just be internet, movie watching and word processing that I use it for. So I don't need anything too flash. And I'd prefer nothing too expensive but I can go to $1500AUD or so, I think.

Historically I've used Dell and they've been okay. I've heard good things about Lenovo though. Anyone have any experience with them?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if I'm going to use it for anything productive, i typically build it myself.
if i just need something portable for messing around, there's no one brand i'd pick over another, i go for whichever one is considered overstock/obsolete for the sake of discounts. cause getting what would have been a $1500 computer for $300, that works fine as long as i don't try to load something resource intensive like Maya on it, is great.

besides, if it breaks, that's why i own a soldering iron and a multimeter.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

....You are considerably more hardcore than I thought Buster.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

more like 'too cheap to replace what i can haphazardly jury-rig'.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

*pokes my head back in*

I might be able to come back later this month!
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yay,
hope everthing is working out fine for ya mickey
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Hlaoroo wrote:I play minecraft and very, very occasionally Second Life. Other than that it would just be internet, movie watching and word processing that I use it for. So I don't need anything too flash. And I'd prefer nothing too expensive but I can go to $1500AUD or so, I think.

Historically I've used Dell and they've been okay. I've heard good things about Lenovo though. Anyone have any experience with them?
I would NOT get a Lenovo. When shopping for a new laptop a bit ago I came across nothing but negative after negative review of Lenovo's. As them being unreliable, battery suckers, and in general poor quality.

I WOULD recommend what I have though. It's an Acer Aspire E1-572-6497. This little machine plays Minecraft, Runescape, and supposedly Wow very well. Even though the keyboard gave out on me (only certain keys) after 4 years it's still been a lovely machine. And with 6G (there's Terabytes now though the model may have changed) I've never once ran out of memory. Highly recommended. As for cost, I think, maybe $700-$800? I don't remember. There were better versions that cost more but I wasn't gonna spend THAT much on a laptop, heh. Good luck!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I got a HP All-In-One. Works well and I'm pleased with it so far!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Hp is a good brand. Welcome back! ^^
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Name: SRP: Lounging around

Premise: Welcome to the Dimensional Lounge, a place outside of space and time, where you can hang out and do whatever. that front door of ours goes anywhere, any time. all you need to do is think about being here, open a door, any door, and you're here. when you want to go home, open it from this side and it'll take you where you need to be. Though to keep the local deities off my case you won't remember being here when you're not here.

There are tables for card games, pool, plenty of other distractions. we've got a huge tv, a stage for those who like to entertain, a dance floor for the more skilled in footwork, there are rooms upstairs if you need somewhere to rest, and I just finished putting in some classic arcade machines. all free of charge. And if you're thirsty, or want something from the kitchen, I'm always behind the counter. (like, literally, always. I might look like a normal ferret, but I'm an immortal machine. I don't exactly get tired or need breaks.) Don't need a menu here, if it exists, we've got it. if it doesn't exist... well we probably still have it, multiverse and all.

My personal character will be an entity called Remnant. Rem for short. He's a technorganic shape-shifter that prefers the form of a Ferret. He also owns and runs the place. he is for all intents and purposes an npc, but he's the only one of my characters who will always be there.

If a character is idle for long enough, it will be assumed they had to leave for one reason or another and will need to re-enter via the door to continue. this is mostly to prevent the thread from completely stalling out if one person can't post, as can be an issue elsewhere.

Intended players: Any

Requests: With the exception of rem, Existing characters only. Nothing that happens here is canon to other threads. Shenanigans are encouraged.
Anyone interested?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sounds like fun Buster! I'll need to dig through my collection of characters to find a good one to use.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

That sounds real interesting, a cool change of pace.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Sounds like fun.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

That sounds kinda interesting. I might bring some of my abandoned characters in to have a drink or two. Maybe even my first character, Jack from Snow Tunnels. His campaign never got an actual ending (the GM gave up after the mods got on his case over something minor, don’t remember all the details), so maybe I can finally get him back home.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
dusk

Post by dusk »

*Raises Paw* I'd enjoy joining.
As I gaze upon the stars, I realize how much I will miss this world.

20-23-5-14-20-25 25-5-1-18-19 8-5 4-9-4 14-15-20 18-5-20-21-18-14,

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

and that's five... OOC thread incoming.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'd go but all my RP's are still listed 'active'
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

And that's stopping you... because...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Are you suggesting a 'crosstime' type cafe/bar?

(It's a strip where characters from Carry On, Freefall, 21st Century Fox and others all pop in.)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That seems to be the idea.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Cool. Oh, you've got some rust there, Cyber...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Are you suggesting a 'crosstime' type cafe/bar?

(It's a strip where characters from Carry On, Freefall, 21st Century Fox and others all pop in.)
in a way, though it's actually derived from Moxzors', from the old CRFH forum's RP area.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Buster wrote:
Name: SRP: Lounging around

Premise: Welcome to the Dimensional Lounge, a place outside of space and time, where you can hang out and do whatever. that front door of ours goes anywhere, any time. all you need to do is think about being here, open a door, any door, and you're here. when you want to go home, open it from this side and it'll take you where you need to be. Though to keep the local deities off my case you won't remember being here when you're not here.

There are tables for card games, pool, plenty of other distractions. we've got a huge tv, a stage for those who like to entertain, a dance floor for the more skilled in footwork, there are rooms upstairs if you need somewhere to rest, and I just finished putting in some classic arcade machines. all free of charge. And if you're thirsty, or want something from the kitchen, I'm always behind the counter. (like, literally, always. I might look like a normal ferret, but I'm an immortal machine. I don't exactly get tired or need breaks.) Don't need a menu here, if it exists, we've got it. if it doesn't exist... well we probably still have it, multiverse and all.

My personal character will be an entity called Remnant. Rem for short. He's a technorganic shape-shifter that prefers the form of a Ferret. He also owns and runs the place. he is for all intents and purposes an npc, but he's the only one of my characters who will always be there.

If a character is idle for long enough, it will be assumed they had to leave for one reason or another and will need to re-enter via the door to continue. this is mostly to prevent the thread from completely stalling out if one person can't post, as can be an issue elsewhere.

Intended players: Any

Requests: With the exception of rem, Existing characters only. Nothing that happens here is canon to other threads. Shenanigans are encouraged.
Anyone interested?

OH good! Funnily enough I was thinking of a similar idea with the exact same concept. Now I don't have to do it I suppose! Will consider looking into joining.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

this idea's been suggested before, but no one took the initiative to run it. I'm in, I have Flynn left over from a couple SRPs that didn't pan out.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'm going out of town for the weekend. I may get time to get on tomorrow but otherwise I'll be back Monday at the latest.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so... um, i noticed only cyber and brent actually picked out characters once the OOC was up...

did i do something wrong with the setup?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

just a little bit , a link here to that OOC would be easier to notify everyone
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Announcement to fellow Sunset and Blue Peak players:

Firefox just updated to FirefoxQuantum. Yea!

Oh wait, it just broke the plug in I was using to browse this site unobtrusively to the network I'm using so I don't get griped at or banned! Oh no!

But basically, I have to do something different in my posting behavior until that plug in gets acclimated to the new Firefox. And before you ask, no, I can't just switch browsers because it is affected in the other browsers too. So what am I doing? Thankfully, I have a phone, and am using it's data. Which is NOT unlimited. So I have to watch what I use and how much it takes to post. So if it seems like a while before I post it's cause I'm testing the idea and don't know how much it takes to post here. So if I seem slower then usual, that's why.

Good news, I can still post. Bad news, it may be a while.

Thought I'd let you all know.

(And I like it better with no images, sigh.)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks for the heads-up, xhunter. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Arcedfuse

Post by Arcedfuse »

Name- Nathan Nown

Type- Main

species- mutt

age- 6 yrs old/ 24 dog yrs

neighborhood- looking

Appearance- A uniform russet coat aside from his scruff and two front paws in which share a white coloring,

Personality- Nathan is an over-thinker who strives to improve himself with each interaction although his lack of detailed memory and slow tempo can rub some people the wrong way. He isn't very particular neither is he very impressionable he typically doesn't start a conversation or does so in an odd way, however he loves a good conversation and is very accepting and understanding, maybe too much so. His self-conscious can be crippling in most cases as although he doesn't try to impress anyone he validates himself through others

Notes- Nathan was the only boy out of six sisters, being the forth one born in the first litter and tacking on three more girls. They were raised to turn towards each other before anyone else. Nathan subjected himself to helping his mom study for med school by pretending to be one of her students while he tried to absorb what she was putting out in spite of forgetting some of the more minute teachings. Things were made hard when they had been separated upon the death of their male owner's wife, however. Nathan was the only one to remain to comfort his owner after his second to youngest sister drowned in a frozen lake and his other sisters had been adopted by a man in Wyoming and a couple in Georgia due to tight purses. Nathan's dad is now deciding to move as they concurred on the fact that they didn't like what their neighborhood was slowly becoming. Also nathan isn't a fan of cliches as much as he knows they happen, and cares not to express that he likes experiencing them. Also, Also (because i don't know how to tie this together smoothly) he was born with an ear infection that made it partially deaf in the left ear as well as making it extremely painful to tamper with.

S=6/ P=7/ E=4/ C=4/ I=8/ A=6/ L=4 (leaving two to spare intentionally)
Please... Call me Ab ;)

And these are my stats

Nathan: S=7/ P=5/ E=4/C=4/ I=8/ A=6/ L=4
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

My Broadband has gone a bit intermittent right now. Engineer will come see on Wed but, if I'm quiet between now and then, you know why.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey guys. I know there are a lot of RPs that I need to take my turn in, but my trip has me completely drained. I won't be able to post until tomorrow. But come tomorrow, I will post in all the ones I can.
-Champion Motto