For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2017/09/25 – The Shards Thing Again

Post by D-Rock »

[2017/09/25 - The Shards Thing Again]
Title Text: YES . . . I was . . . RIGHT . . . about that
Yes! You were right about that!
YEEESS . . . I WAS . . . . . RIGHT . . . ABOU

Tarot, maybe try to come up with other euphemisms for the complete eradication of one’s soul.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2017/09/25 – The Shards Thing Again

Post by Gbr23 »

Who was Satau ? Oh Mungo... he's just some dog, you would've liked him
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Love how Peanut has to remind Tarot about one of her own prophecies ~ and it actually requires some serious thought from her to realize she was probably right. :D
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Yes Peanut, she was right.
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

Satau? Probably one of your ancestors.

So Mungo went super hero. Fox went gladiator? Sabrina as a Witch and... Ok what is Tarot?

Did Peanut just mistake a moment where Tarot was Dragon?
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I wonder what the Heavenly Huskies have seen? They seem to like it.

Would someone explain the past to Mungo;
And, for that matter, let Fox in on the secret?
Else you’re going to find how far one can go
without telling of the ancient terms of regret.
Those you left behind, in Satau’s olden time,
have been regenerating down time’s ages,
fighting in war and peace, on both sides of crime;
their destinies laid out like words on pages.
Here and now the story is to be shared;
the hero of long ago lives here once more.
The truth of the matter is a line to repair
but never telling all is always Tarot’s flaw.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

Looks like Fox chose to play the Warrior class. If I don't see someone going barbarian I will mildy perturbed.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Please remind me which prophecy is being referenced.

I vaguely remember it, but I have no idea which arc to look in.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I'm suddenly having trouble figuring out how Keene was expecting this to work out for him (well, now more than usual, at any rate). Which is a bit frustrating because I'm kinda leaning on wanting him to win. Did he honestly expect his team to be able to find and secure the mana pool, when they don't really know what they're looking for, all while Keene sits and watches from a distance? Both Tarot and Sabrina are on site, they've brought far more people loyal to them, they know what they're there for and what they plan to do with it, you'd think this would be important enough for Keene to actually be there to oppose them directly.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

leinglo wrote:I'm suddenly having trouble figuring out how Keene was expecting this to work out for him (well, now more than usual, at any rate). Which is a bit frustrating because I'm kinda leaning on wanting him to win. Did he honestly expect his team to be able to find and secure the mana pool, when they don't really know what they're looking for, all while Keene sits and watches from a distance? Both Tarot and Sabrina are on site, they've brought far more people loyal to them, they know what they're there for and what they plan to do with it, you'd think this would be important enough for Keene to actually be there to oppose them directly.
Who says he isn't? Tarot's team weren't here until they were. Like Kitsune, they may just be 'off-panel'.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Who says he isn't? Tarot's team weren't here until they were. Like Kitsune, they may just be 'off-panel'.
We've seen him back at his mansion, monitoring their progress with the scrying panel, drinking coffee.
Unless Breel can teleport him down to where his team is, it doesn't seem like he actually plans to participate.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Are we implying that Team Nerd is Keene's team? Because they're just the only team we've seen that doesn't have a reason to be actively working against him.

As far as I can tell, he probably put "give me the mana pool" into the contract no one read, and just plans to take it from whoever wins.

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Bandit1990 wrote:Please remind me which prophecy is being referenced.

I vaguely remember it, but I have no idea which arc to look in.
from her first appearance
GameCobra wrote:Love how Peanut has to remind Tarot about one of her own prophecies ~ and it actually requires some serious thought from her to realize she was probably right. :D
actually I'm pretty sure she's covering up that that prophecy was a lie to get Peanut and Grape together with herself and max and eliminate them as possible Dream Sunderers for Pete. or that it was Dragon talking there and she really has no idea.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Wow, that is quite the callback. This is a good repurposing of the prophecy, considering that Tarot was (as I understand it) a last-minute addition to the cast to give Peanut a girlfriend and set the stage for the whole Nerds Arc. Which makes it extremely unlikely that he planned this that far in advance. Also, there is the fact that said prophecy was blatantly about Grape finding out about Peanuts crush eventually anyway.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
John-056

Post by John-056 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Love how Peanut has to remind Tarot about one of her own prophecies ~ and it actually requires some serious thought from her to realize she was probably right. :D
actually I'm pretty sure she's covering up that that prophecy was a lie to get Peanut and Grape together with herself and max and eliminate them as possible Dream Sunderers for Pete. or that it was Dragon talking there and she really has no idea.
Actually, I think she was well aware she was lying, since Tarot is well aware of what Dragon Says when she's in control, as shown here:

Since It was a fleeting moment, the Prophecy I mean, one meant to hide the truth, she didn't bother to remember it. Peanut, however, had thought she was being truthful and believed it, so he remembered that whole 'Prophecy'. She's averting her eyes in the final panel, and her dialogue shows she's playing along with it. A sort of, 'Sure, let's go with that'.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Frank

Post by Frank »

I will never be able to hear "shards" in a fantasy setting and not think "Inuyasha"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

Frank wrote:I will never be able to hear "shards" in a fantasy setting and not think "Inuyasha"
Worm for me.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Wait... the mouse-over text was totally a Homestar Runner reference. You can't fool me, dood. XD
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Argent wrote:I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Imagine each piece of your soul taking separate vacations
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Ok, now I really think Rick will end the comic soon. Because in the classic story telling, the end should refer to the beginning.
ImageImage
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

MX682XM wrote:Ok, now I really think Rick will end the comic soon. Because in the classic story telling, the end should refer to the beginning.
I don't think so, there's a bunch of unexplored characters like Rex, Marvin and Terrance who haven't got their own arcs yet.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

MX682XM wrote:Ok, now I really think Rick will end the comic soon. Because in the classic story telling, the end should refer to the beginning.
I asked him in the tigerdile stream whether he was ending it with this arc and he said he wasn't
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

YES! I guess that settles it. Now can people stop contributing to my anxiety by talking about the end of the comic?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yes, that's cheating, but if you risk your life walking on that puzzle, then... :P Right, the main goal of this adventure is prevent Keene to reach that source of power. Eheh, good question, Mungo. :D Good to have pointed that, Maxwell. Ok, unfortunately it's not possible to do that, Tarot, but maybe now you're all much closer to the mana pool. The puzzle is behind you. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Rick doesn't look like he's ending the comic anytime soon. He's just blowing up the temple cleaning up loose ends. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CanzetYote wrote:
I don't think so, there's a bunch of unexplored characters like Rex, Marvin and Terrance who haven't got their own arcs yet.
Well just because characters haven't been explored doesn't mean it's not ending, lots of stories don't explore every side character.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No, but...
Not A Furry wrote:
I asked him in the tigerdile stream whether he was ending it with this arc and he said he wasn't
Rick explicitly stating that he isn't going to end the comic with this arc does.
-Champion Motto

MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

CyberDragon wrote:YES! I guess that settles it. Now can people stop contributing to my anxiety by talking about the end of the comic?
I became a fan of HP not too long ago. I don't want that it ends too.
ImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

Just how did that rumor get started anyway? I didn't see anything in the comic itself that would suggest it.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fan speculation. There were a couple parts of this arc that were kind of ending-esque. Lots of things were coming full circle. Res was finishing the Pridelands series and some people speculated that it was intended as a parallel to the comic as a whole. So many old characters showing up gave the feeling of one of those lineups at the end of plays. And the purpose of the arc seemed to be to resolve the loose threads of what has honestly turned into a major part of Housepets, which is the story of the celestials.

Anyway, the comic is not ending with this arc, so all it was was speculation. It seems Rick still has plans and the comic is still going strong.
-Champion Motto

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, but, lots of things are coming full circle pretty much solely within the Cosmic Arc. We're referring back to the beginning of the Cosmic Arc, wrapping up loose ends with the Cosmic Arc, and everything ending like is pretty much related to the Cosmic Arc. So, it would make sense for this to be the final arc in the Cosmic Celestial Whatever-ma-jingle, but this comic has more to it than just that. :roll:

Rufus is really good at standing just off panel. He must have been practicing. :lol:
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yep, it's kind of easy to forget that there is more than the Cosmic superarc. :P

I kid. That's just a really big part that seems to be ending. There is much more the comic has to offer though, and who knows what will get started after this.
-Champion Motto

Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Hey, is this meeting of characters the first time that we've seen Fox in the same room with Sabrina or Fido since Fido's declaration of love for Sabby? Or am I forgetting something...

EDIT: Oh never mind, Sabby's already given Fox a talking-to
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Obbl wrote:Yeah, but, lots of things are coming full circle pretty much solely within the Cosmic Arc. We're referring back to the beginning of the Cosmic Arc, wrapping up loose ends with the Cosmic Arc, and everything ending like is pretty much related to the Cosmic Arc. So, it would make sense for this to be the final arc in the Cosmic Celestial Whatever-ma-jingle, but this comic has more to it than just that. :roll:

Rufus is really good at standing just off panel. He must have been practicing. :lol:
I doubt It'd be the end of EVERYTHING related to Cosmic Arc, since the Celestials have always been around as a part of the back story. I doubt this is the last we'd see of the Supernatural, and I REALLY doubt it's the End of Housepets. It's kinda a pet peeve for me, since it's basically like how everyone keeps going on about 'Half-Life 3 Confirmed' and blah blah blargh.

However, whatever's to come is likely a Game Changer, and not in the D&D or U&U sense. Something big's coming at the end in my opinion, but I can't really figure it out. I mean, I wonder what's to come at the end of the Arc? I feel that while the Mana's to be Secured, I doubt it would end with the Temple being Destroyed... Or going 'Pop' into nothingness. The former is Cool, and the Latter feels like Celestial Work, but the latter would feel ridiculous. The former... More awesome, but there better be a reason, which for Pete, would be that it 'Felt Awesome', but he's not around to say it or even know what's happening.

Funny thing is, Tarot's Lie at the start of this whole Cosmic Mess, kinda comes full circle where she reveals that it was the Mana being abandoned and abused that would cause the same Apocalypse Scenario as she said, and as much as Pete wanted to win, he had a degree of responsibility with his Cosmic power, something Keene THINKS and ACTS like he has, but actually doesn't.

However, that brings in a disturbing thought... What would happen if Tarot and Sabrina get tempted by the fact that they'd get their powers back if they take the Mana? Or, as referred to in a previous comment, that Team Nerd do, if they return from the Void? If they don't end up destroying themselves from gaining such power, they may go berserk with it... Which actually scares me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

there is one way i can think of that would avert all of it going one place without destroying the temple. however it would require some being equal parts selfless and shortsighted.

Wish for it to be shared with every pet everywhere.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Buster wrote:there is one way i can think of that would avert all of it going one place without destroying the temple. however it would require some being equal parts selfless and shortsighted.

Wish for it to be shared with every pet everywhere.
Only one capable of doing so, is Peanut... And Sasha, but she's not around, and making her appear to make such a wish without any prior foreshadowing is basically a Deus Ex Machina. Daisy... I'm not so sure after the Cop Arc.

I mean, we haven't seen her since she revealed that she truly was intelligent and was only pretending to be stupid. It... Kinda worries me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

How much mana would that be per pet?

One mana (manum?) is about the size of an egg. Say 50 cc. The mana bowl looks like about 4 foot across and shaped like half an egg. So, maybe, 7 million cc or about 150,000 manas. Divided among a billion dogs and cats (525 million dogs according to Psychology Today, and as many cats, rounded down), that's not much mana (many manas?) for each. What can you do with 0.00015 manas?

I'd call that a symbolic win for Keene and an effective win for Tarot. Everyone's happy!
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Especially since most pets would have no idea what it is or what to do with it.

The only concrete instruction we've seen for how to use mana is "Don't try eating it, that never ends well"

Considering that Keene held on to his for years, he was either deliberately saving it or he never figured it out.

Argent

Post by Argent »

The next morning:

"Man, it's like every pet in the world just magically got perfect fur."

"Weird, eh?"