Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

69eist

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by 69eist »

I'm going to have so much fun in this RP. Cyber, can characters break the fourth wall here?
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm going to say no. It breaks the immersion of the RP and a lot of people feel it pulls them out of the story. Cleverly leaning against the fourth wall is fine if you can do it without sounding clumsy, forced, or obvious.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Deske

Post by Deske »

CyberDragon wrote:I'm going to say no. It breaks the immersion of the RP and a lot of people feel it pulls them out of the story. Cleverly leaning against the fourth wall is fine if you can do it without sounding clumsy, forced, or obvious.
*A shouted "Thank you!" Is heard from across the room*
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait, does that include my tendency to do narrator commentary of my character's mental state?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ok, so originally I was going to have this be the start of the boss fight, but I decided that the post was too long. As such I'm giving a turn to question the necromancer before the boss fight actually starts. Present your theories and questions, and see how close you guys were to guessing what was going on.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Buster wrote:wait, does that include my tendency to do narrator commentary of my character's mental state?
I don't think so. Your character isn't saying it to the players.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yeah, the narrator commentary Buster does is fine. Just no having the character doing blatant 4th wall breaking.

Edit: A wild World Eater appears! Boss fight time!
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like we're just the audience for wolf-boy over there right now?

Most of our party is brawlers and gunners, and right now both are useless, cause you can't safely shoot in the direction of either weak point without either hitting the summoner or causing a friendly fire accident, and nobody's dumb enough to get in that thinks mouth to knock out the summoner hand to hand.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I didn't want to be the one to say it. But, yes, a little.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Lycan has a plan. It is one of many plans going on right now. There was a way earlier that Ulrich could have gotten to the necromancer. It's just some actions that needed to happen didn't happen quite fast enough. Though that thing can still happen without the Lycan's help. There is one weak spot that can still be hit without hitting either The Necromancer or The Lycan. Hitting it should open the serpent's mouth. In addition, there are three characters capable of dealing enough direct damage to any part of the serpent to get it to release The Necromancer. Anyone with an offensive power that is 6 or above would be able to with a full powered shot. If the two sonic characters combined their power that would work, but it would mean Jenny would reveal her power. Pallet's fox fire would be powerful enough, as would a full powered kinetic blast from Tatiana. It isn't an easy boss, but it is possible. A close range power shot to the eye, a high power shot to the upper body, either one would do something. Heck, Kol's plan to get on the head and hit the eyes, a red capsule placed under a scale, even Jenny's plan of talking him down would work if she got to a position where he could hear her. He is in way over his head and his fear is starting to overshadow the hatred that fuels the serpent. These bosses are going to require quick out of the box thinking and problem solving. They are not going to beat themselves.
-Champion Motto

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Pardon, a bit busy this week. Sorry if my posts seem off. It's hard to squeeze in time everyday.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No problem. I think the team has this pretty much handled. Shouldn't be much longer now.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Baically she's facing in so she's going to swing her arm backwards to get him out and use the impetus to throw herself. She may dislocate a shoulder.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Good to know. Rika is on standby.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Always good to have a healer on the team.

Edit: I've made a minor change to the rules. Defensive powers for PC characters are now no longer impacted by the power limiter.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

[Replacing...]
Last edited by Deske on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Seems like your colors are broken a little there Deske, but yes your character is approved.

I literally just pulled The Necromancer's name out of nowhere. I just decided it was a common name for an average guy. You will often find that the "villains" are just like this guy. Normal people who got any number of the problems of the world dumped on them until their own demons took over and they snapped. I don't do stereotypical villains often. Things are a bit more complex than that. Even Odium is not an evil for the sake of being evil. It doesn't have a will of it's own unless it has an avatar, basically a person who has the will and potential to go with the motivation the aspect provides. That's just the nature of the beast, almost it's job. "Normally it's harmless" but it has the potential to corrupt the people who feel it and lead them to do horrible things without thinking, especially when the person considers that hatred to be right or justified.

I think you guys did well on your first boss. It was a somewhat average boss. Not the hardest you will ever face, but it wasn't a standard tutorial boss either.
-Champion Motto

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

CyberDragon wrote:You will often find that the "villains" are just like this guy. Normal people who got any number of the problems of the world dumped on them until their own demons took over and they snapped.
Or, as a certain iconic villain would put it, “All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.”
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Nice quote. This is along the same lines, though I feel it's especially important to show some humanity in the villain. If there is no humanity in the villain, they are seen purely as the bad guy. The person seeing them doesn't see how they could become like them. A humanized villain is a cautionary tale. By being able to sympathize with the flaws of the villain and seeing how those flaws grow to consume them, people will hopefully look more at their own flaws and try to fix or control them.

Now my execution of this... That still could use some work.

Edit: Wellll... the above is true in most cases, especially concerning arcs with Odium. I have made some rogues that are designed to be more mysterious and intimidating with very little humanity if anything is known about them at all. It really depends on what I'm using them for.
-Champion Motto

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Can you give me a day or two to get back to this? I'm exhausted.
My Personas

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I can't stop the rp, but if you need a break we can consider your characters' actions implied until you get back. They will simply follow the group on a sort of autopilot. Is that alright with you?
-Champion Motto

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Of course. You have permission to use Ballad for any sound related jokes.
My Personas

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Thanks, 69eist.

Also, I edited my last post. I realized that everyone was probably waiting on me to explicitly prompt them, so I put some more stuff in. There is now stuff to react to.

EDIT: In addition, I'm letting most of you guys describe the apartments your characters live in. Probably best to keep things somewhat simple, as the characters are still recruits and probably wouldn't be living in large penthouses like The Lycan does, seeing as he's a higher ranking and more experienced Champion. They can still have basically whatever you want in it.
-Champion Motto

69eist

Post by 69eist »

What did I miss these past few days?
My Personas

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The necromancer was scared into giving up his revenge, the Serpent was defeated, everyone got back to the headquarters, and now they are going to their apartments to clean up. I suggest reading the most recent 10-20 posts to get a general idea of what is going on.

Woo! Page 10! We have passed Zootopia!
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So... because i didn't feel like spending 20 min rephrasing this as in-character commentary...
Okay, now i'm picturing Kol ranting because the system messed up and put a hot-tub where the spring would be...
typically they're about 50m-100m beneath the surface, where the temperature is stable around 0*c year round. The main chamber is round, with the entrance on one side, and the other chambers arranged around the perimeter. there will be 4 or 8 doorways, evenly spaced connecting them. Always 4 or 8, it's a superstition thing.

the chamber opposite the entrance is almost always lined with glacial ice, and used to store food.

the doorways don't have doors, instead there will be furs hanging in a curtain like manner. the doors are also not squared off, they will be a single smooth arch. The floor would appear to be blue-green hexagonal tiles at first glance, but it's actually cultivated crystal containing a mix of diamagnetic metalloids, which naturally grows into a uniform, level surface, and is easy to clean (this may be difficult to recreate, as a ship will have a very different magnetic field than a planet, so the natural orientation might be off). The walls are bowed slightly outward, and are a single unbroken surface of hand-chiseled bedrock. Often with generations of carvings etched into the surfaces by family who previously lived there. at the center of the room is a depression with benches around it in a ring shape, and a spring in the middle perpetually filling and draining the depression.the springs aren't built, the home is dug around them when ever they're found, and the watter never freezes due to it's high metal content changing it's freezing point. evidence of this can be seen in the yellow-orange residue that tends to build up around the edges of the carved basin.

about halfway between the center of the room and the walls are eight support columns some of which will have railings between them. As for furniture, they use bone the way we use wood. there is a LOT of ivory furniture. Some of it quite clearly Rhoui bones. See, there's kind of a tradition that when you die, after the wilds of the surface have claimed your flesh, the bones should be carved into items that are presented as gifts to your living descendants or closest friends. They don't bury their dead, or preserve their bodies in any way. In fact it's seen as wrong to do so. It's part of why the catacombs bothered her so much.
I instead spent several hours making a 3d model that isn't even done yet.

YAY PRIORITIES!
Attachments
3d.png
3d.png (127.04 KiB) Viewed 23782 times
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So that seems like it would take up... quite a bit more space than what Hivemind has to work with. The rooms are made with programmable matter, they don't have any spacial distortion properties. Then again, I don't really have much of a sense of scale for this. The apartments are about the size of fairly high end apartments (only in my experience a lot more comfortable and clean), but not the size of a full house.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

just because the full size version looks a particular way doesn't mean it cant be scaled down a bit. you asked what was typical where she's from, and a place that doesn't have enough people for proper cities isn't going to build apartments.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Darken the walls like stone, hang first where doorways would exist, overlay the floor with stone, create furniture out of faux bones and furs with cushioning because "Welcome to the future." How rustic.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Really should have put more in Jennys' bio.

She's from Colony 14, a well known science specific colony that carried out a lot of unlicensed genetic experiments on lower species. It's why she has such a massive downer on uncontrolled sciences. She believes in the soul as something that can only be given by God. Her creators were not gods and she will NEVER acknowledge them as such, therefore she does not believe she possesses a soul. Therefore there can be no rebirth so she intends to have people remember her for her deeds.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Oh boy mah fav!

Were they reorganizing GTAC - CATG pairs or were they doing glorified breeding? Genetics is such a general word.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Deske wrote:Oh boy mah fav!

Were they reorganizing GTAC - CATG pairs or were they doing glorified breeding? Genetics is such a general word.
But not one I know too much about. To put it simply they were creating life through generations. Oft times as cheaply as they could.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, if they wanted the most control over their results, they could engineer the embryos and then implant them into surrogates artificially rendered comatose and forcibly altered to have 'ideal' gestation conditions.

efficent, compact, and about as morally dubious as it gets.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:well, if they wanted the most control over their results, they could engineer the embryos and then implant them into surrogates artificially rendered comatose and forcibly altered to have 'ideal' gestation conditions.

efficent, compact, and about as morally dubious as it gets.
That one'll do.

Earth wouldn't have known about it for years, of course. An efficient colony is one they don't need to keep an eye on, after all.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

also, if they wanted to do things cheaply, going by information I've found about livestock (lab animal breeding info is less readily available), having an efficient way of disposing of the animals that are unusable, and cutting corners on food seem to be the most effective ways to keep costs down... which at least with cows and chickens in some countries leads to using the disposed of animals or unusable parts of animals to stretch the feed supply... (apparently that's how mad cow disease spreads)

that leads to some unfortunate implications if applied to sapients...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The champions would have wrecked the place and glassed what was left if they saw something like that happening to sapients.

That might be a too dark for the tone this RP usually takes.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hey guys. I wrote up some characters for this RP, and while I didn't plan on using them unless Steelhaven went under, I kinda fell in love with them. I already got them approved by CD (albeit in the context of "what if I joined BOH"), so now I just need to post them here and wait to get the go ahead.

Character Name: Kolt Lasser

Codename: Kitsune (shares it with Quint)

Color: This one.

Type: Hero

Species/Breed: Canidae Dolor

Neighborhood: Beacon Of Hope

Powers: Kolt has relatively high powered telekinesis, as part of a rare genetic deviance in his species biology. He can use it to fly, lift objects, create force fields in a variety of shapes and sizes, and enhance his physical strikes. It's mostly (though not entirely) based on line of sight though, and it can fail if he gets distracted. He also has mildly enhanced physical and mental capabilities as long as Quint is in his head.

Weakness: Since his powers are part of his biology, they draw upon the same calories that fuel the rest of his bodily functions. While something like moving a tv remote requires basically nothing, heavier objects require a lot more energy, and multitasking (say, flying and generating a force field) drains him twice as much as the normal cost of those two combined). This drain is made even worse by the fact that Quint also drains nutrients from him in order to feed. As a result, he has to eat a lot of high calorie foods in order to remain at full power. He also carries energy bars with him to help refuel on the battle field, but those take a few minutes to digest, so if he expends his fuel source, he's out of the fight for at least 5 to 10 minutes.

Appearance: Kolt resembles a tall anthropomorphic fox. He's mainly silver in color, with red markings scattered across his body, and has dark blue eyes. He tends to be a little bit chubby, since he needs the fat to fuel his powers, though he can be skinnier if he's pushed their limits a bit.

Personality: Kolt is rather laid back fellow. He has a hard time taking things seriously, and those who don't know him very well tend to accuse him for being lazy. While that is true to some extent, he's still a very heroic person, and is willing to give it his all to save those in need.

Other notes:
-He doesn't keep his relationship with Quint a secret, but he isn't exactly in a hurry to let everyone know. If asked, he'll tell you about it, but otherwise he won't bring it up.
-Before he joined the Champions, Kolt was part of another superhero team on his home planet, a group called the Magni. When the BOH stopped by his planet he decided to join them, in order to see more sights and save more people. His teammates threw a goodbye party for him and Quint, and he still calls them on a weekly basis.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 5 (7 when hosting Quint)
- Perception: 6 (9 when hosting Quint)
- Endurance: 5 (7 when hosting Quint
- Charisma: 6 (8 when hosting Quint)
- Intelligence: 7 (9 when hosting Quint)
- Agility: 6 (8 when hosting Quint)
- Luck: 7 (9 when hosting Quint)
- Power: 6

Character Name: Quint

Codename: Kitsune (shares it with Kolt)

Color: This one.

Type: Hero

Species/Breed: Genetically Engineered Symbiote

Neighborhood: Beacon Of Hope

Powers: Quint was illegally designed by a biotech company to enhance the body and mind of his hosts. He crawls in through the ear until he reaches their brain, and then basically soaks into it. While he's inside, he slightly drains the nutrients from their body, and in exchange he secretes a chemical that enhances their mind and body. He also gained the ability to take over the bodies of host, leaving them in a state where they can only watch as their body moves on its own, though it's much much easier to do this in a willing host. He can also read their thoughts and memories, which he currently uses to remind Kolt of things he's forgotten.

Weakness: While he's not in a host, Quint is deaf, immobile, and practically blind. He can only see about one foot around him using a mild psychic sensing power that his creators gave him. In addition, if he spends too much time in a hosts body, the two start to merge physically and mental, to the point where the two are indistinguishable, and can't be separated. While this was fine when his creators planned on him being an empty husk with no mind of its own, this isn't so good when he's his own person. As a result, he has to leave Kolts body every night in order to de-synch.

Appearance: Quint resembles an oversized slug, reddish pink in color and 8 inches in length.

Personality: If Kolt is the lazy goofball of the two, then Quint is the snarky straight man. He's fairly amoral, and the only people he cares about are himself and Kolt. He helps the fox with his heroism because despite all their differences, he really does like Kolt, and considers him a good friend. Not that he'll ever admit that.

Other notes:
-The way his power works from a meta perspective is that in exchange for not using all the available stat points, the unused stat points go to Kolt while they're connected.
-Quint first met Kolt when his team raided the company that made him. Quint managed to escape when the battle shattered his containment tube, and preceded to try to take over Kolt, who had been knocked out earlier in the fight. However, Kolts mental powers made him significantly harder to control than the people he'd controlled before, and the two had a mental battle inside Kolts head. Neither was able to beat the other, and they ultimately settled on a compromise. The two of them would share control, and work as partners. While Kolt's teammates weren't initially okay with this, they grew to accept Quint, and eventually declared him to be part of the team.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 2
- Perception: 2
- Endurance: 2
- Charisma: 7
- Intelligence: 7
- Agility: 2
- Luck: 7
- Power: 4
Last edited by Legotron123 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

A couple things, Lego. First, you mentioned in our conversation that there were a couple things keeping Quint from having the ability to take over just anyone's mind, such as him needing the cooperation of his host, and his personal connection with Kolt. So that others know this I'd like you to add that to Quint's sheet. I would also say that Kolt's powers are more of a 6 on the scale as they are potent and versatile. Sorry I didn't mention this before.

Then you'd just need to choose colors and then you can join if you want.

Also, Deske, if you wanted to introduce your second character now that things are calm, you can.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Crap, knew I was forgetting something. I'll fix that now. EDIT: That better?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That's better. Thanks Lego.
-Champion Motto