Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Not A Furry

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,

Post by Not A Furry »

I should put on some pants aswell...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't even wear pants!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Same... xD
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Here's a good discussion topic:

In your opinion, who is the most evil villain in any book, movie, or show?

My vote is Christopher Pelant, from "Bones". He was a sociopathic killer who used hacking skills to get away with murder and temporarily ruin the lives of the main characters of the show on multiple occasions.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Definitely Dr. Evil

It's all in the name.
I only picked him because all other baddies I know commit mass genocide and that's usually it. It gets lame after awhile
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

off the top of my head, probably Emperor Palpatine. worked behind the scenes to start a war. Ordered all the Jedi killed, even had anakin kill the younglings. (though we can see that didn't work out too well what with Obi Wan, Yoda, Ahsoka, and Kannan). Death star blowing up planets, inspiring starkiller base which blew up star systems.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

Star wars, the only television franchise where the future is in the past and half the scenes don't tie up with the previous scene, not to mention cowboy hats. Star Trek for the wooooooooooooooorld!
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's in the past, but in a galaxy far, far away.

That's actually why Darth Vader, Yoda, and Starkiller being in Soul Calibur 4 kinda sorta worked, timeline-wise. The Soul series takes place in the 1500s, right? Now if they can explain how the lightsabers didn't cut through ANYTHING, that'd be great. Maybe Earth materials and people are resistant to the blades? But they're plasma. Vader's introductory scene shows him fighting Mitsurugi, and his saber was held at bay by his katana.

Eh, won't argue too much, it was fun to use those characters.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

D-Rock wrote:It's in the past, but in a galaxy far, far away.

That's actually why Darth Vader, Yoda, and Starkiller being in Soul Calibur 4 kinda sorta worked, timeline-wise. The Soul series takes place in the 1500s, right? Now if they can explain how the lightsabers didn't cut through ANYTHING, that'd be great. Maybe Earth materials and people are resistant to the blades? But they're plasma. Vader's introductory scene shows him fighting Mitsurugi, and his saber was held at bay by his katana.

Eh, won't argue too much, it was fun to use those characters.
I once heard something about Mitsurugi's katana being magic or something and, canonically, the only thing that's supposed to block Vader's saber. Anything else resisting being vaporised by that thing in one hit is just game mechanics keeping things fair and balanced...otherwise Vader, Yoda and Starkiller would just insta-vaporise every opponent in one hit.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Douglas Collier wrote:Here's a good discussion topic:

In your opinion, who is the most evil villain in any book, movie, or show?
Goku, cause he managed to (dub notwithstanding) accidentally pull off masquerading as a hero for DECADES before viewers only just now have started to realize he doesn't care in the slightest about the cause or which side he's on he just wants something to fight. And if that means dooming most of the multiverse for the sake of entering a tournament, so be it.
D-Rock wrote:Now if they can explain how the lightsabers didn't cut through ANYTHING, that'd be great.
Well... there's that substance, Cortosis Weave, that light sabers can't cut. Vader's armor is coated in it, it's why luke's saber just bounces off his shoulder plate in EP.V instead of bisecting him when the kind finally manages to get a hit in.

Only problem is a few of the expanded universe writers were lazy and CW ended up getting described a couple of times in ways suggest it's just Carbon Fiber. WHOOPS! :lol:

So YAY! Starwars physics make no sense! Again!
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Unusuallynamedperson

well I suppose anything makes sense if Homer Simpson can figure out Higgs Boson 14 years before an actual physicist did.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Do we define evil by what's in your heart or also include the potential for harm?

Eric Cartman is a good candidate for most evil, even if being a fat 10-year-old really limits the scope of his potential. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Sleet wrote:Do we define evil by what's in your heart or also include the potential for harm?

Eric Cartman is a good candidate for most evil, even if being a fat 10-year-old really limits the scope of his potential. :P
He took chilli to its logical conclusion.

I think that's the most we can say about him without breaking some forum rules =P
Just an Arc
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It was pretty satisfying all of the ways he got his comeuppance, even if one of them was a nosebleed from a simple slap on the cheek. Didn't make sense, but I'll take it.

Also, Sleet, how much of South Park have you seen? Cartman has done more than enough to cement himself as an evil kid.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've seen all of it. Even the worst of his worst pales in comparison to some things comic book villains have done. Hence why I say if you count evil by what's in the character's hearts rather than just what they have the potential to do, he's a candidate for the most evil.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Sleet wrote:I've seen all of it.
That's way too much.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

I just wanted to share this here, hope the mods don't mind.
This tool uses your computer's processing power to help research diseases such as Cancer, Alzheimer and Parkinson. It's completely free and you could help a lot of people just by letting it run while your PC is idle.
You can even see a 3d model of the protein you're researching and select a specific disease to reasearch upon.
This could save a lot of lives and it's completely free!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Doubt i could help. My pc is a laptop. I shut it off when it would be idle to maintain battery life.

thats something that's only really practical for a desktop user with a low end to mid range machine. people with portable computing don't leave their hardware on for battery reasons, and people with high end machines probably wouldn't appreciate the (much more noticeable) spike in their power bill from their rig running full tilt when it should be in sleep mode.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Liam wrote:
Sleet wrote:I've seen all of it.
That's way too much.
Nah, I enjoyed it. :3
Unusuallynamedperson

Sleet wrote:Do we define evil by what's in your heart or also include the potential for harm?

I think evil is defined by not what your goal is but why you're trying to reach that goal, nobodies really truly evil but some people are just so far gone that they're classified as such. also Yes watching all of south park is faaaaaar to much south park :P
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I always like to think there has to be some motivation behind someone choosing to be evil...I can never accept people just being evil coz they're evil.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's always a deliberate element to it, yeah. But a lot of the time people's environment and what they've been through can contribute a lot to it!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Do you know what grinds my gears? Streaming.

Streaming takes over one of your favorite channels and quality goes down the drain. I subscribe LPers who put effort into their videos, who record and edit 100% playthroughs or make supplementary sections talking about the history, philosophy, technology featured in the game. But streams are pretty much the opposite of effort, off-the-cuff affairs. You end up with unstructured, rambling commentary that can be incomprehensible if the streamer doesn't include the chat and doesn't read the message he responds to.

Not that adding a chat window is an improvement taken by itself. It's distracting because you become tempted to look at it as to not miss something, and if you're like me and can't easily divert your attention, by trying to catch both game and chat you miss both. Bonus points if the chat races past so quick you would've to pause every few seconds to catch anything or the window is too small too read... But the worst sin of streaming culture is obtrusive pop-ins. We don't need huge graphics AND loud audio clips to inform us someone subscribed to your channel. If that wasn't disruptive enough of the flow of playing/commentating a game, some do the same thing for any kind of notification, enabling trolls to spam pop-ins by giving one Twitch point or what they're called.

I get why so many channels fall prey to streaming. There's a non-negligible financial incentive involved. You receive only so much ad revenue for your videos, but streams are a de facto crowdfunding platform. If viewers gift you so many points, bits, dollars or whatever it adds up. One session could be more lucrative than a video's monthly ad revenue. And then you can upload the stream anyway for further monetization.

I guess every era ends. Just bad it happened to be that of informative, high-quality LPs.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so far only one let's player I watch has started to do streaming instead of edited let's plays videos, and I have only found it mildly annoying. but I guess that's mostly cause I only watch her for unvoiced, dialogue heavy games (Night in the Woods, Undertale, dating sims, etc) so most of the time she's reading dialogue instead of the chat and that's exactly what she'd be doing anyway. I just kinda ignore the pop-up things.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I kinda stopped watching major let's plays. Only one I was subscribed to was Markiplier, but I did check out a couple others. I ultimately stopped those, though. I don't even watch Peanut Butter Gamer or Projared LPs. The worst part was falling off on Team Four Star LPs, because those were hilarious, but I lost interest.

But I'll always remember the Adventures of Dumplin.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

my biggest gripe is LPers who do more than one playthrough of the same game.

A) unless it has branching endings, the game often doesn't have much new to offer at that point, move on to a new game already.
B) They know what they're doing now so schadenfreude is no longer in play. A good half of the entertainment comes from seeing if they'll recover from their own screw-ups, or glitches/wierdness they didn't know could happen, move on to a new game already.
C) they're more likely to ramble about something stupid when they know what's coming and need to pay less attention to the game, move on to a new game already.

EnterEleysium is absolutely terrible for this, worst of any of the channels I've watched past or present.

though second biggest would be chanels that mix content types. Don't try to be a Vlog, and a review chanel, and a gaming chanel, and some other random thing, at the same time. It just clutters up my subscription list with junk I don't care about.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:though second biggest would be chanels that mix content types. Don't try to be a Vlog, and a review chanel, and a gaming chanel, and some other random thing, at the same time. It just clutters up my subscription list with junk I don't care about.
that's why a lot of people split into secondary channels for their other stuff.

also i like sometimes like when they ramble about stuff not related to the game, it's what I go to Game Grumps for. but in story centric games i like them to at least pay attention when cutscenes come up.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just generally don't watch any of them. :P Most of those types have annoying personalities and make things more about themselves than the game.

I will admit Dunkey's pretty cool at least.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

yeah, finding ones who's cometary stays relevant to the game can be hard.the more linear and story driven the game the more important it is that they stay on topic. on the other hand games that are closer to the open sandbox end of that spectrum i have no problem with the persona being the driving force, as long as they don't have a facecam or behave like a juvenile moron like, well, all ten of the biggest names in Letsplays... and half of the runners up... and the veritable army of clones of said ten most popular...

what the heck makes that behavior so popular anyway? you're basically acting like that one semi-annoying comic relief character every sitcom has (Ie: Joey), but with no comparatively normal people to play off of. it shouldn't work as a solo act...
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

How did we go from talking about our favorite villains to let's players? :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Chats tend to do that. That's kind of their nature. Talk things up with friends, by the time you're done, you've gone through maybe four or five topics.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Saturn381 wrote:How did we go from talking about our favorite villains to let's players? :P
That constitutes a subject change? I didn't think those two topics were different enough to count.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

there is an xbox channel that does a few lets plays. they seem pretty funny and just have fun (their spin off channel had them playing skyrim as a kajhit or however its spelt. the cat race, anyway, they meowed the dragonborn theme, it was funny). I dont really like lets players or streamers much anymore.

as for villains...
maybe khan from star trek?
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

khajiit.
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

I used to watch Achievement Hunter/LetsPlay videos. I didn't really lose interest or anything, just kinda got lazy.

Speaking of LetsPlays, did anyone here ever wanna make those? Or have already made them? If you have, what games did you ever wanna make videos of? I always wanted to give it a go, but I lack the proper computer/recording software/equipment to do so.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

ShadowLightning wrote:I always wanted to give it a go, but I lack the proper computer/recording software/equipment to do so.
can't help with the equipment or the computer but OBS is a free screen capture software. I'm using it to capture some gameplay for an AMV I want to make. though the game runs a bit laggy with it running.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

equipment will always be the biggest hurdle there. Any computer that can play the games can record them, and there's plenty of good, free, recording programs out there, but the ram needed to record and play at the same time on one machine without a capture card almost guarantees you'll need to choose between between software lag and upgrading a part or two, same for audio, a computer's built in mic might be cheaper, but you're loosing audio quality by using it.

either way it's a toss up between lower quality output, or spending the $ to upgrade your equipment.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

ShadowLightning wrote:I used to watch Achievement Hunter/LetsPlay videos. I didn't really lose interest or anything, just kinda got lazy.
Yeah, their let's plays are just so LOOOOOONG and kind of boring nowadays. I only really follow that lot for the Animated Adventures and RWBY now. :/
ShadowLightning wrote:Speaking of LetsPlays, did anyone here ever wanna make those? Or have already made them? If you have, what games did you ever wanna make videos of? I always wanted to give it a go, but I lack the proper computer/recording software/equipment to do so.
I'd like to be a let's player, yeah...there's a few games I wanna play through for Youtube's enjoyment...some I've grown up playing...others I've played a few times but haven't quite managed to 100%...and some I haven't even played at all yet for one reason or another.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Buster wrote:yeah, finding ones who's cometary stays relevant to the game can be hard.the more linear and story driven the game the more important it is that they stay on topic. on the other hand games that are closer to the open sandbox end of that spectrum i have no problem with the persona being the driving force, as long as they don't have a facecam or behave like a juvenile moron like, well, all ten of the biggest names in Letsplays... and half of the runners up... and the veritable army of clones of said ten most popular...

what the heck makes that behavior so popular anyway? you're basically acting like that one semi-annoying comic relief character every sitcom has (Ie: Joey), but with no comparatively normal people to play off of. it shouldn't work as a solo act...
Have you seen 13-year-old boys hang out? They like loud noises, silly voices, and scatological/sexual humor.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I've been avoiding 13 year olds since I stopped being one, so basically just before the 90s ended.

which was also the around the point I decided maybe wearing colors other than black might be not be as awful an idea as I previously thought (Purple is an awesome color). those two things may or may not be related.