Recipe Suggestions For An Unhealthy Doug

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Douglas Collier

Recipe Suggestions For An Unhealthy Doug

Post by Douglas Collier »

So, I was at the hospital for chest pains and one of my tests showed that I have high cholesterol - as a result, I need to make some changes to my diet.

I was wondering if anyone could give me healthy (preferably simple to prepare) recipe ideas. Below are some criteria the recipes would have to follow:

- Non-alcoholic recipes, please
- My favorite foods are Italian and Mexican - use this as a guideline =3

Likes/Dislikes

Vegetables

Likes: spinach, tomatoes (I know, it's technically a fruit), cabbage, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, pinto beans (refried beans are my favorite), pumpkin, potatoes (more of a starch than a veggie), sweet potatoes, and (sometimes) corn, avocado.

Willing to try: broccoli (if cheese is involved), butternut squash, olives (in a casserole), arugula

Dislikes: celery, peas, asparagus, cucumbers, lettuce, seaweed

Fruits

Willing to try: bananas, grapes, peaches

Dislikes: grapefruit, strawberries (too many seeds)

Proteins

Likes: Chicken, beef, pork, lamb, eggs (omelette preferred), peanuts, walnuts, pinto beans, white beans

Willing to try: Other types of nuts, black beans

Dislikes: gamey meat (tastes like the animal had bad gas), turkey, fish/seafood (and any other meat where the best compliment you can give it is that it doesn't taste like either itself or its habitat), ofal (internal organs)

Grains

Like or willing to try just about anything, except rye bread; would prefer not to eat bread filled with nuts and whole grains and twigs - you know what I mean. I particularly like angel hair pasta.

Dairy

Dairy products are my passion! Alas, this is the item I must cut back on the most. :(
But if I can have it, I like: mozzarella cheese, vanilla yogurt (and any other yogurts that don't have chunks in them), milk, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese. Willing to try goat cheese or other healthier substitutes.

Thanks all!
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Re: Recipe Suggestions For An Unhealthy Doug

Post by D-Rock »

...try this, but this would help a lot more if I knew the cholesterol level of what I'm about to suggest. It's probably the healthiest thing I serve at work.

"Powerhouse Salad"

Sliced acorn squash, tossed in a mix of olive oil, cinnamon, sugar (omit that if you want) and pepper, roast in a 350 F oven for about 8 minutes.

Slice up some avocado to go with it.

Take kale and arugula, mix with pomegranate seeds, pecans, and a vinaigrette of your choice.

Kale tends to be bitter and arugula has a bit of a peppery taste to it. I'd imagine that if neither of those sound appealing, go with spinach.

The dressing I use at work is a pomegranate-ginger dressing, made in the most cheater way possible; one cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup pomegranate puree about an ounce of ginger, tablespoon Dijon mustard, put in blender and slowly add one cup salad oil while it's going. Add honey to taste, as the Dijon is pretty strong.

Mine at work tend to look like this.
untitled.png
untitled.png (84.72 KiB) Viewed 12232 times
If you want protein, I commonly get the request for a grilled chicken breast, and one time seared tuna.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I was under the impression that beef, eggs, and pretty much any kind of cheese were problematic for people with high cholesterol...
Surprised those are on your list.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Douglas Collier

Ooh, D-Rock, that sounds good! I have very little experience with salads - this might break in that hesitation.
Buster wrote:I was under the impression that beef, eggs, and pretty much any kind of cheese were problematic for people with high cholesterol...
Well, I'll consider them a treat and eat them in smaller quantities.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I'm a simple guy, so I just chop up an assortment of veggies (apparently varying colors gives you a better range of nutrition) and fry 'em up in a frying pan with a little oil until they're tender. Then I rub some salt on a chicken breast and chop that up and throw it in. You can pretty much top this with whatever sauce you want and eat with whatever grains or sides you want. I'm in Japan so I make a Teriyaki and throw it all on rice. :D Easy, delicious, healthy.
I consider fruit a pretty good dessert. Plus it adds some fiber (which hopefully helps counteract all the rice I'm suddenly eating >_> )
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

For some reason the first thing to pop in my head was kimchi. In case you don't know, it's a kind of Korean fermented cabbage dish. I know, it sounds bad, but it's actually spicy and amazing. Also, it apparently can help lower cholesterol levels.

I could actually eat this stuff all day (It would hurt to do so because, well, spicy). And I normally hate vegetables! I don't know a recipe for it, so you might want to look it up.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Douglas Collier

That might just be a perfect way to get me to eat vegetables. ^^
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Follow anything the Mediterranean diet says to eat. ;) Dishes with pasta and tomato, legumes (I really like lentils), and vegetables (as soups) all seasoned with extra-virgin olive oil are the best. :P ;)
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Adding to Cesco's suggestion of a mediterranean diet, if you don't know how to combine the ingredients try making paella, the recipe is basically saffron (Tho people usually use food colouring) and whatever you have lying around, which means you can throw in preety much anything and it will taste awesome.

Also try gazpacho
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thing about saffron is that it's really expensive. You can probably find imitation extract, though.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

The "original" paella is suppossed to have it, but as you say it's too expensive for most people so they just use a bit of food colouring instead. I just wanted to point that out.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Buster wrote:I was under the impression that beef, eggs, and pretty much any kind of cheese were problematic for people with high cholesterol...
Well, I'll consider them a treat and eat them in smaller quantities.
Yeah, probably a good idea.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Douglas, I would recommend green tea. The antioxidants in the tea will help flush out toxins and clean out your system. A couple cups a day will gelp lower your cholesterol. It's a little bitter on its own but a little honey and/or lemon in it goes a long way. If not then water is always a good choice.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
Douglas Collier

My religion discourages the consumption of strong drinks, which have been defined to mean coffee and most teas. However, herbal teas are ok - I've heard good things about pomegranate tea. Maybe I'll give that a shot.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I've seen this a while ago, made it a few time since then and love it, sweet and sour cabbage with bacon and bratwurst.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

doesn't something with bacon and processed meat in it kinda not work at all for the whole 'low cholesterol' thing though?
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Buster wrote:doesn't something with bacon and processed meat in it kinda not work at all for the whole 'low cholesterol' thing though?
Well... okay...
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

Oh I hadnt seen this before, something here may be helpful.

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/arti ... sterol.php
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Doug, you start with the right attitude - emphasize what you can eat. Being vegetarian, I eat a lot of salads and, thereby, a lot of green leafies. Mediterranean diets are good (watch out for weight gain if you get too frisky with olive oil). Peppers are wonderful not only for food value, but they're colorful - for holidays, that's important because you don't have the "feast of roast Beast" hulking in the center. So you go for lots of variety instead of the big dominant meat-thing. Indian, Middle Eastern, I like Kim-chi dishes, too, but they are an acquired taste.

Watch your sodium though. Sodium gets into so many dishes. Experiment with different spices.
Meat is still okay, but eat less of it, baked rather than fried, white over red, and practice portion control.

And once - every two weeks, say ... Have one meal that let's you eat anything! In moderation, natch....
Regards.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

I found this while searching up low cholesterol recipes: Garden Vegetable Soup http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... pe-1915670

Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster