Fighting Game Idea

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Fighting Game Idea

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks for the tips on Sea Fish. Let's see how that goes. Also, I'll try ninja, just in case. I was only really doing palette recolors, not whole costumes.

UPDATE: Got these done.
Peanutfaceset.png
Peanutfaceset.png (31.04 KiB) Viewed 26401 times
I'll post the Ninja one separately once I figure it out. In order, we have;
Normal
Reversed
B&W
Grape
Kade
Parnok
Spot
Ghost
Sea Fish
Hydrant
Gold
Shadow
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I actually do like the ones you created! However, the ones with added patterns would be a bit of a problem. Changing the palette does not involve changing the sprite itself, only the palette. There is a way around that that I have thought of, but it may be a bit difficult to pull off. basically, wherever a pattern would appear on the character, draw it with an obvious color. But when it comes time to convert it into it's palette, fill in the patterns with a color almost identical to their fur, but not exactly so the color can still be considered a separate color. Then I could ideally replace the color correctly when needed.

It does seem that there might be a way around that though considering how alt. palettes are handled, buy I'll have to look into it further when I get home. If my theory is correct, I might even be able to make alt costumes as well so long as I leave some slots open. But again, this is just a theory, I'm probably completely wrong, but there's no harm in trying. :)
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If that were the case, i would request naked Peanut. That's a sprite change :3

These pallets are sweet! I like the extra red on the fish color and the Gold Peanut's retriever-like look. I especially love Spot Peanut's look.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Chaoko, I have little idea what you mean, but all I could take in was that extra patterns wouldn't quite work in the engine as-is. Good luck with however that turns out. If it's impossible, let me know if you want more palettes.

Especially as I wanted Nicole, Rick, and Riley from Savestate to be palettes for Grape, Max, and Tarot, respectively. I've done so in the Photoshopping thread already.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Question: Wouldn't it be unethical to have animals fight each other? :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The original idea was that this was one elaborate Imaginate session. But if it takes place in the Tails of Babylon universe, that opens up a lot more leeway.

EDIT: So, coming up with palette ideas for Grape, using the face sets from Tails of Babylon (a bit tougher to work with than I thought, but workable). Here's the total list right now;

Original
Reversed
B&W
Peanut (or Dayshaun)
Black Cat (or Spike)
Nicole
Stripe
Ghost
Gold
Shadow

Two more. Any ideas?

EDIT 2: Got it!
grapefaceset.png
grapefaceset.png (35.42 KiB) Viewed 26317 times
Original
Reversed
Black & White
Peanut (or Dayshaun)
Nicole
Jasper
Stripe
Ghost
Spike
that lioness from the Pridelands deal, can't remember her name
Gold
Shadow

Had to get a new outline for Grape done for this. How do they look?

EDIT 3: Surprisingly tedious.
Maxfaceset.png
Maxfaceset.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 26306 times
Original
Reversed
Black & White
Bino
Rick (Savestate)
Nutella/Louise
Glitch (GamerCat)
Ghost
Primo
Parnok (Pridelands)
Gold
Shadow

EDIT 4: And now Tarot!
Tarotfaceset.png
Tarotfaceset.png (62.56 KiB) Viewed 26301 times
Original
Reversed
Black & White
Tarot Sandwich
Riley
Dragon
bird from Pridelands
Ghost
Karishad
Satau
Gold
Shadow

Next up will be King.

Edit 5: And now King!
Kingfaceset.png
Kingfaceset.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 26298 times
Original, Reversed, Black & White, Cerberus, Trace, Olive, Pete, Ghost, Bishop, Miles, Gold, Shadow.

Okay, the Shadow one was a little tricky, as King doesn't have a Shadow design yet. I had to make a few guesses. I was also going to do Ace and Rook, but they looked too similar to other designs. Trace was a fun practice of color assignment.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I was messing around and made this.
hpfplogo1.png
hpfplogo1.png (113.38 KiB) Viewed 26294 times
I'm just happy I figured out a method to get the subtitle to look similar to the main logo! Hooray for random plug-ins! Consider this an alpha concept. I still have the layers to make one if a different subtitle is decided upon.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

While I do actually really like this, I feel like I have to mention that that's the jewish star in the middle. Not sure if that makes anyone upset but just throwing it out there in case :lol:
I'm vouching for it cause it looks really cool. :D
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's just a standard hexagram. The Star of David, while it is a six-pointed star, has a very distinct design. I'm sure that this is all that needs to be said on the subject.

Anyway, I can change the subtitle if we decide on an official name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

True, and it's shape is stretched in a way that it just looks like a banner with two points. Plus if anyones offended by it, it's kind of a dumb reason to be offended. It's not even a bad thing :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
RedFoxWizard

Post by RedFoxWizard »

Wow, neat alt colour ideas! I could help you come up with some too if you need. I'm not the best with image editing, but I can at least suggest colour ideas.

Also now that I think of it I wonder if there's a way we can show the player what colour they are choosing and how. Some fighting games show the actual character sprite in the character select so you can see the colours, while sometimes (even within the same game series) there might just be a "3 leading colour" swatch for you to guess with.

Edit: I did download Mugen but I haven't really played with it much.
Ice and fire magic? Does that result in a freezer-burn?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks for the compliment. I'm open to ideas, though for now, let's do one character at a time. I wanna do Zach next. Just know, I want to keep Original (of course), Reversed, Black & White, Ghost, and Gold as standard for all characters. I want to apply Shadow to all characters that have one in Tails of Babylon for now. So, six to seven ideas would be nice. Once I can, as at this moment DA is under maintenance, I'll post a chart that shows who has a Shadow.

I'll also go ahead and do title art for the rest of the subtitles.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I rather see Zach raising the "Round 1" sign up before running for his life :3

And those sprites are awesome so far. keep it up!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Yeah, I'm not sure if ALL of the characters will be playable fighters. Some might just be background characters. Zach I always considered to be one of these characters, because while Peanut doesn't fight either, I couldn't even see him play fighting. The one thing he'd really have going for him is his lucky foot. Him being the one to show the rounds would actually be kind of funny, though a bit tricky to pull of. Still, doable.
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure if ALL of the characters will be playable fighters. Some might just be background characters. Zach I always considered to be one of these characters, because while Peanut doesn't fight either, I couldn't even see him play fighting. The one thing he'd really have going for him is his lucky foot. Him being the one to show the rounds would actually be kind of funny, though a bit tricky to pull of. Still, doable.
The only possible way f or Zach to fight is to go the Phoenix Wright route and fight by not fighting ~ making errors as he fought.

Still, though ~ Zach still doesn't come across as a fighter. A ref at least, but a cowardly ref :3
RedFoxWizard

Post by RedFoxWizard »

GameCobra wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure if ALL of the characters will be playable fighters. Some might just be background characters. Zach I always considered to be one of these characters, because while Peanut doesn't fight either, I couldn't even see him play fighting. The one thing he'd really have going for him is his lucky foot. Him being the one to show the rounds would actually be kind of funny, though a bit tricky to pull of. Still, doable.
The only possible way f or Zach to fight is to go the Phoenix Wright route and fight by not fighting ~ making errors as he fought.

Still, though ~ Zach still doesn't come across as a fighter. A ref at least, but a cowardly ref :3
Given Marvin does more paper things I can see him pulling a Pheonix Wright more than Zach.
Ice and fire magic? Does that result in a freezer-burn?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You don't view Zach as a fighter, yet Daisy is in the character list you posted. :|

To be honest, if once we actually picked up steam and started seriously working on this, we could ask if we can have Karishad be the announcer.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I think Marvin could be the score keeper, considering his work with papers. Zach could potentially fight I think... well, I think he's more likely to fight then Marvin.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

As I mentioned previously, being in the Tails of Babylon universe opens up a lot of leeway for us regarding usable characters.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh, Daisy IS listed. Sorry about that, as I said this was from another list based on another possible story update. I don't intend for her to be playable.

Plus, the only things we can work with in terms of Zach are his lucky foot and cane, neither of which are used offensively even in tails of babylon besides blinding people or attempting to bok the enemy on the head. :P
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I would add characters from the other game way down the line, but it never hurts to think ahead of time. I say go for it :3
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:once we actually picked up steam and started seriously working on this, we could ask if we can have Karishad be the announcer.
Maybe you could talk him into redubbing all of the 'so-and-so wins' 'round whatever' 'start fighting' and whatever else these games tend to have for canned audio? I mean he's the only cast member who's actually a real person...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Plus, the only things we can work with in terms of Zach are his lucky foot and cane, neither of which are used offensively even in tails of babylon besides blinding people or attempting to bok the enemy on the head. :P
Let me once again bring up Persona 4. There's a character you recruit early in the game who uses fans as weapons. They have terrible attack power, even the end-game ones. You were much better off relying on her fire and healing magic, and she does have a really good magic stat. Another character's weapon is shoes, though these have good attack, and while she wields buff, ice, and healing magic, she doesn't have a good magic stat. Her better skills were her physical specials, which are cast from her health points. Both are viable weapons in Persona 4 Arena.
Buster wrote:
D-Rock wrote:once we actually picked up steam and started seriously working on this, we could ask if we can have Karishad be the announcer.
Maybe you could talk him into redubbing all of the 'so-and-so wins' 'round whatever' 'start fighting' and whatever else these games tend to have for canned audio? I mean he's the only cast member who's actually a real person...
That is what I was pondering. Maybe we can get the Fanimated cast to do voices as well.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Got this for the final boss. Yeah, decided to try out the idea that was suggested here a long while ago. Finally got a use out of my artist mannequin. Honestly, I'm amazed that I managed this. I think it turned out okay.

So, weird idea; so a story mode is only doable on a specific version of MUGEN? Maybe the arcade version could have Barghest as the final boss, while the Saga version would have this guy.

As for the arcade version, maybe the first set of rounds would be against Baskerville, while the second one would be Barghest. Baskerville could be playable, but how about make Barghest unusable by the player?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I admit i gave a little encouragement about it earlier, but now i have some doubts about the jester boss. it just comes out of nowhere. He makes a nice mook, though!

Now fighting the man that speaks in Limericks or the chicken as the final boss... those are ideas. =3
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

...*shudders* I hate those puppet-mannequin things.. But the boss ideas are great...Note to self, never-ever play FNaF2 again..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

GameCobra wrote:I admit i gave a little encouragement about it earlier, but now i have some doubts about the jester boss. it just comes out of nowhere. He makes a nice mook, though!

Now fighting the man that speaks in Limericks or the chicken as the final boss... those are ideas. =3
I think any original character would come out of nowhere, like Nue and Olde and Barghest. Maybe like the suggested Baskerville/Barghest change, this guy could have a sort of "transformation" as the following match.

As for the chicken being playable...
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

D-Rock wrote:That is what I was pondering. Maybe we can get the Fanimated cast to do voices as well.
As the director of HP!F!, if I have anything to say about it we will at least try, and should they not be able to or not want to, I can always just cast someone for the sake of the game, I mean there wouldn't be many lines, mostly just phrases and grunts. :)
Plus, I like to consider all of these fan projects to be apart of the same production team (especially since a lot of us do work on one or the other), it would only make sense.
GameCobra wrote:I admit i gave a little encouragement about it earlier, but now i have some doubts about the jester boss. it just comes out of nowhere. He makes a nice mook, though!

I have to agree, I don't even think I liked the idea when it was first proposed, or at least I was pretty iffy on it. Like Cobra said, it's kinda out of place. Granted, I haven't thought of a main big bad for this games story, I've only really thought about the arcade stories and the expansion updates' stories. One idea I had was that it would be some sort of corruption in the comic's timeline that made everyone super aggressive and dramatic, sparking random fights were they don't belong. Eventually the characters would realize something was wrong and find out that someone was causing this and... fight them from time to time I suppose? A jester would certainly fit this role well though. Wanting to add drama to a story, causing chaos and silly antics, plus we've never seen a human deity in Housepets!. it'd be an interesting change in pace, but would kinda seem weird at first glance. Then again, Joel and possibly Winter from HP1X could be playable in this game so really the human thing isn't that much of an excuse :lol: . We might just wanna change their appearance a bit. Not sure how, but do something to make them seem fitting or so weird that it works. Also, since you mentioned the mannequin I now imagine that they'd move kinda like a marionette or something along those lines, very strangely to put it simple. But again, that's IF we use the jester, which I'm still not completely for.

Though it's interesting that you mention having the Limerick or What Chicken as the villain. So far with thinking of a possible story, I never though of anything that would be as serious and straight forward as Tails of Babylon, and by that I just mean it's a bit more silly but the characters still take it seriously. I mean it would be kinda weird that the villains from ToB would show up again considering how the story ends for said characters (for those who don't keep up with ToB and are just waiting for the release, I won't spoil anything just in case :P ), so really having it make little sense in some areas and do things for the sake of the fun wouldn't be too bad of an idea.
That is in fact a silly possibility to consider, but I'll wait until we come up with a few more ideas to determine where we should go with the main story.

D-Rock wrote: So, weird idea; so a story mode is only doable on a specific version of MUGEN? Maybe the arcade version could have Barghest as the final boss, while the Saga version would have this guy.

As for the arcade version, maybe the first set of rounds would be against Baskerville, while the second one would be Barghest. Baskerville could be playable, but how about make Barghest unusable by the player?
That could be arranged, and kinda what I was figuring. The player would fight their shadow, then Barghest or Nue&Olde, but Barghest makes more sense. I assume most of the main characters in ToB's arcade stories would kinda be on the lines of "Oh no! Barghest is back and doing evil things, better go punch em!", each having their own unique spin or reason for going of course.

Also, whooooo is Baskerville again? Have I been unattentive for too long again? :? I'm gonna assume it's some sort of disguise form for Barghest? I'm not sure that's possible though, at most I imagine it'd be a fight against Baskerville, then a fight against Barghest afterward, but I don't think changing the character mid fight is a thing.
It is possible to do transformations in some way, but they are treated like transforming in DBZ games where it's a move where they transform for a limited time and then revert back once they run out of energy for it. Also in MUGEN the way the script works for some reason makes the character look like their first form when they're grabbed, and then change back, so that's gonna be weird if I decide to add here "Wereot" form as a transformation.

And yes. It is possible to have characters be non-playable. You just have to position their selector off screen or diagonal in the character selection screen with nothing touching it. The only way they would be playable is if you got lucky and get them when you select "Random". This would also be funny for joke characters like What Chicken. :lol:

One last thing, quick update on Peanut. He seems to be a character you need to fight up close and personal with, as his basic attacks and combos don't have too much range. This may be because of his size in comparison to usual characters, he's not too much smaller than Kung Fu man but it's enough to make his reach quite a bit less. If it's possible I'll try to just reduce the knockback so you can land more hits before the enemy is out of range (if that's possible)
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I remember you saying that the engine couldn't do mid-battle character changes. What you said is what I meant, having a full match against one form, next match is their enhanced form. I don't exactly recall the details, but I've played games that sort of went that route.

Tekken 3, defeat Ogre, becomes True Ogre for the final boss (don't recall if it was only one round or not)
Mortal Kombat X, defeat Shinnok, becomes Corrupted Shinnok for the final boss (still haven't played that one yet, so don't know)
Bloody Roar 4, defeat Ryoho and Mana, Ryoho becomes a Dragon for the final boss (again, don't remember if it was one round or not)

MKX is the odd one out. True Ogre and Ryoho the Dragon were unlockable in their respective games, while Corrupted Shinnok is unplayable save for mods.

As for silly vs. serious, dude, I can't recommend at least watching gameplay for the story for Persona 4 Arena enough. Several characters' story modes had choices you could make between matches (usually only one) that affected the outcome. For example, one character is convinced he's in a dream and enjoying the tournament, but at one point the player is given the choice of realizing what's at stake or going along with the "dream." Choosing the latter led to a non-canon sillier ending after defeating the cause of the tournament.

And yeah, Baskerville is the mortal form of Barghest. I made a concept for him, and a couple other NPCs, not too long ago.

PS: Joel possibly being playable? I'd like that, honestly. He could be a moveset clone of King, just with both a MUCH longer range and being a MUCH larger target on the field. Sounds like a high-risk character.

PPS: A corruption causing random fights to erupt? Ok, I'll admit that I liked Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (don't judge me, I like what I like), though that would need more fleshing out.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

How about Winter from Housepets 1X as a final boss?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Winter was planned to probably be the final boss of the 1X update. Though that depends on if and how Stu and Jojo would allow us to go about making some sort of satisfying ending to that story for the sake of the game :P
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, as Zach is still up in the air, I decided to do a Fox set.
foxfaceset.png
foxfaceset.png (55.18 KiB) Viewed 26070 times
Normal
Reversed
Black and White
Fenrir (Hearts of the Selfless)
Rook
Bailey
Great Kitsune
Ghost
Daisy
Lime Sherbet
Gold
Shadow

You know, in hindsight I should have left the bandanna yellow in the Bailey color, as it's way too easy to mistake them like this, even if they get unique poses.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nick job D-Rock.

As for Zach, why not have him fight like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWAUsEzt-bE
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

:shock:

...I have no idea what I just saw.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Saturn381 wrote:As for Zach, why not have him fight like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWAUsEzt-bE
I'll uh... I'll pass on that one. And again, pretty convinced at this point that he will not be a playable character in this game.

Also D-Rock, I highly recommend you DONT rely so heavily on adding extra fur patterns and lines for these palettes. I mentioned before it might be possible, but with the way I'm making the sprites I don't think even my theory would work. Plus, they're literally alternate palettes. They do not work like skins, you just flip around the colors. That is how palette swaps work. I didn't notice you'd made so many of these already. Some of these could probably be used, but some could only have the color changes and probably wont look too good. :|
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Carp, and here I was hoping that your plan would allow these. So let's see which ones I need to simplify, switch out, or rework'

Peanut
Kade
Parnok
Sea Fish
Grape
Peanut/Dayshaun
Nicole
Spike
Max
Bino
Rick
Glitch
Parnok
Primo
Tarot
bird
King
Cerberus
Olive
Pete
Bishop
Miles
Fox
Daisy

Determined this from either the need for added patterns or that a lot of them share have sections that share a color and would likely interfere giving them their own. Do I have this list correct as to what I need to rework?

...and am I correct in assuming that you didn't see what I had earlier because I edited a post as opposed to writing a new one?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Made corrections.
Simplified Kade, Sea Fish, and altered Parnok Sandwich.
Simplified Kade, Sea Fish, and altered Parnok Sandwich.
Peanutfacesetcorrect.png (29.84 KiB) Viewed 25970 times
Greatly simplified Nicole, fixed Jasper, Spike, Stripe, and Princess Ilaya, replaced Peanut with Diana 1X.
Greatly simplified Nicole, fixed Jasper, Spike, Stripe, and Princess Ilaya, replaced Peanut with Diana 1X.
grapefacesetcorrected.png (34.17 KiB) Viewed 25970 times
Simplified Rick, altered Glitch, replaced lion with Ptah, replaced Bino with Eyesight 1X, fixed Primo.
Simplified Rick, altered Glitch, replaced lion with Ptah, replaced Bino with Eyesight 1X, fixed Primo.
Maxfacesetcorrected.png (32.59 KiB) Viewed 25970 times
Altered Karishad, simplified Jeijan
Altered Karishad, simplified Jeijan
Tarotfacesetcorrected.png (62.27 KiB) Viewed 25970 times
Altered Cerberus, Trace, Olive and Pete, replaced Bishop with Rockstar Hawk, replaced Miles with Joel.
Altered Cerberus, Trace, Olive and Pete, replaced Bishop with Rockstar Hawk, replaced Miles with Joel.
Kingfacesetcorrected.png (49.21 KiB) Viewed 25970 times
Slightly altered Bailey, altered Daisy.
Slightly altered Bailey, altered Daisy.
foxfacesetcorrected.png (55.33 KiB) Viewed 25970 times
Alright, how're these?
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

7th Grape is missing the fish.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That's because Stripe doesn't have a tag as far as I can see. I didn't bother to add it back in when correcting palettes.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Got Bino done.
binofaceset.png
binofaceset.png (27.05 KiB) Viewed 25871 times
Original
Reversed
Black and White
Duchess
Bruno
Oliver (Savestate)
Green-Eyed Monster
Ghost
Freddy (Simon and Freddy)
Tiger
Gold
Shadow