Help Me 3D?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JustAThought

Help Me 3D?

Post by JustAThought »

I am just a beginner with 3D modeling, texturing, and animation. Using Blender is great, but it can be difficult to learn the details without having a specific project or goal. To that end, I am looking for some characters to turn three dimensional for practice. Does anyone have any characters that they would like to see made into a 3D model?

If you do, I would ask that you be able to provide pictures of them from the front, back, and side, as well as a few others if convenient.

Also, nothing too complicated, please. I am the next best thing to a toddler with building blocks right now.

For an example, I attached a render of a model I finished not too long ago (do tell if there are any issues viewing it).

Lastly, if you have decent experience with 3d modeling, and especially animation, PM me. I would love to chat.

Thank you for reading.
Attachments
Sad.jpg
Sad.jpg (212.42 KiB) Viewed 19894 times
Buster
Game Master

Re: Help Me 3D?

Post by Buster »

Well, from personal experience, blocky shapes tend to be a lot easier to do than organic ones...

Thinnk a character like this would work? simplified of course. i can have a design for you in a few hours if you want.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

How about McKade? http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=7&t=3504
Ask TheBlasterizer to see if he does let you the use his character.

Also, that's better than anything that I've seen from Epsitec.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Thanks for the quick replies!

Those are pretty good options. I can probably start this weekend. I think yours, Buster, will be great for animation especially. If its not too much trouble, that design would be great.
I am really looking forward to trying out some of the hair tools in Blender, so I may just try McKade this weekend.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Since you said about animation, I'll post cutscenes from Planet Blupi, another game by Epsitec: https://youtu.be/OGfA8kqydOg
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That looks really nice for your first try! Such a nice picture!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

this is probably the only image i have that shows her backplate. never did finish it. also i added a rough sideview of the chest in the corner there.

And here's a more simplified version of the character.

it's mostly the same design, just with a less muted colorscheme, and all of the visible machine parts hidden. however, the collar on this version is different, actually going around instead of blending into the shouldermounts and being replaced by the backplate.
Last edited by Buster on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, Buster!
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

Wow nice model I also work with blender 3D if you like I can teach you some of the things I have learned
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I've been looking to get a 3D model of Douglas for a simple 3D printed figurine or D&D style game piece. Do you think you could make a 3D Doug? Here's a good reference, and the other stuff in my gallery would help get an idea of the back. Also, King is basically identical to Doug, except Doug has shorter headfur in the front - it would definitely be a good idea to use him as a reference: https://www.housepetscomic.com/tag/king/ . Let me know. =3
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That picture is pretty awesome as well Buster!
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

these are my art pages if you see anything you would like to learn to do just ask ^^

https://sketchfab.com/snappyfox/models
http://snappythefox.deviantart.com/
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/snappyfox/
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am a bit interested in seeing more of Ichigo to tell you the truth.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I am a bit interested in seeing more of Ichigo to tell you the truth.
haha well I am working on a higher resolution model
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I mean to learn more about him. :geek:
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I mean to learn more about him. :geek:
I see XP
Foxes unite!!!!!!
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Nice models, snappyfox. What program do you use?
Douglas Collier wrote:I've been looking to get a 3D model of Douglas for a simple 3D printed figurine or D&D style game piece. Do you think you could make a 3D Doug? Here's a good reference, and the other stuff in my gallery would help get an idea of the back. Also, King is basically identical to Doug, except Doug has shorter headfur in the front - it would definitely be a good idea to use him as a reference: https://www.housepetscomic.com/tag/king/ . Let me know. =3
It might take a little while to get to. I just started on James McKade, but I can definitely use the practice, so I will let you know. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Also, I might be able to make a 3D printed figure, if you don't have access to a machine of relevant function. That is an awesome idea!
Douglas Collier

I have access to a 3D printer at my school. If you could send me the file when you're done, that'd be awesome. :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would you be able to use it or do you need permission?
Douglas Collier

Yeah - it's in the school store. You pay for it based on the weight of material used.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

my brother gets discounts to use the 3D printer at the uni in town where I live he is getting a price for my model of snappy
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wish that my schools had been like that.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Readily available 3D printers are still sort of new. This was unheard of when I was little, so I'm amazed at the concept.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Bonabopn

Post by Bonabopn »

JustAThought wrote:I am just a beginner with 3D modeling, texturing, and animation. Using Blender is great, but it can be difficult to learn the details without having a specific project or goal. To that end, I am looking for some characters to turn three dimensional for practice. Does anyone have any characters that they would like to see made into a 3D model?

If you do, I would ask that you be able to provide pictures of them from the front, back, and side, as well as a few others if convenient.

Also, nothing too complicated, please. I am the next best thing to a toddler with building blocks right now.

For an example, I attached a render of a model I finished not too long ago (do tell if there are any issues viewing it).

Lastly, if you have decent experience with 3d modeling, and especially animation, PM me. I would love to chat.

Thank you for reading.
i knew i recognised that character!
that's Loan Shark, isn't it?
"Be who you are, and say what you feel; those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter." - Dr Seuss
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

D-Rock wrote:Readily available 3D printers are still sort of new. This was unheard of when I was little, so I'm amazed at the concept.
I went to a technical high school that has machine technology and graphic arts as offered shops to learn in. This was back in 2007 to 2010. I remember machine shop had a 3D printer but I don't think it was available even if you were in the shop.

My sister is in graphics which has taken over computer technology and business technology (sob!) so they might have a 3D printer but I don't know if it is freely available either.
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Bonabopn wrote: i knew i recognised that character!
that's Loan Shark, isn't it?
Heh. Shhhh.

My little brother was in the inner circle of the Qwuedeviv universe for a while, and did a bit of work on a potential voice over thing for the comics.

Guess which character he was voice acting for.

Also, Status update on McKade rig:
Basic form finished, working on hands, feet, and touch ups. After that, retopo (ugh), rigging, coloring, and fur (optimistically).
Any suggestions?
Unfinished_McKade.jpg
Unfinished_McKade.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 19576 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He looks very nice so far! Great job!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay... that polycount might be an issue. I've always found it a better idea to build low poly first, and then dial it up later after all the basic shapes and proportions are right. otherwise if you need to adjust things you have a ton more to keep track of. especially the hands and feet, it's really easy to mess up proportions on those.
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

Well, I should probably look around the forums a bit more, shouldn't I?
Looking great so far, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Unfortunately, I've never tried 3D rendering, so I don't know of how much help I could be with that aspect.
My DA can be found Here!
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Buster wrote:okay... that polycount might be an issue. I've always found it a better idea to build low poly first, and then dial it up later after all the basic shapes and proportions are right. otherwise if you need to adjust things you have a ton more to keep track of. especially the hands and feet, it's really easy to mess up proportions on those.
At the moment, those polys are just the result of a a subsurf modifier that I am using to help shape it with the sculpting tools. I can still access the original mesh in edit mode, though, now that you point it out, I am probably getting ahead of myself with the detail. My computer is beginning to give me dirty looks.

Thank you for the input.

Do you have any advice on how to smooth the retopology process? I am about to start, and I dread the journey ahead.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

you should add a smooth shader and makes everything stand out better when modeling
like in this https://sketchfab.com/models/fd81494e89 ... ad435b4d37 none of the lines stood out until I set it to smooth also how do you have your arms and legs modeled at the bends such as the elbow and knee
(sorry if I made that sound confusing)

also I didn't notice you asked me what program I use
its blender been using it for 4 years
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

JustAThought wrote:
Buster wrote:okay... that polycount might be an issue. I've always found it a better idea to build low poly first, and then dial it up later after all the basic shapes and proportions are right. otherwise if you need to adjust things you have a ton more to keep track of. especially the hands and feet, it's really easy to mess up proportions on those.
At the moment, those polys are just the result of a a subsurf modifier that I am using to help shape it with the sculpting tools. I can still access the original mesh in edit mode, though, now that you point it out, I am probably getting ahead of myself with the detail. My computer is beginning to give me dirty looks.

Thank you for the input.

Do you have any advice on how to smooth the retopology process? I am about to start, and I dread the journey ahead.
when it comes to smoothing things out, i tended to let maya do it for me then fix the details after, by moving individual vertecies manually, then imply extra levels of detail that aren't actually there via normal maps. there would be certain edges i would have to make sure it recognized as 'hard' beforehand, which usually meant using tools to double them up, but that's because i preferred to work on things meant to look mechanical. things meant to look organic are much less likely to have hard edges.

What's the lowpoly model look like?
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

wanna learn toon shading?
Foxes unite!!!!!!
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Sorry for the delay. College has gotten a bit hectic.
This is the basic mesh. I added another toe to the feet, but it was after applying the subsurf to the mesh on a different version, which I am currently attempting to make a new topology for.

The strategy I am attempting to follow is getting down the basic form, then slowly upping the detail until I get the image I desire. Then, the part that I like the least, but need to practice the most, weaving a new mesh over it by extruding vertices along the mesh surface in a workable pattern.
McKadeBaicMesh.jpg
McKadeBaicMesh.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 19451 times
Also, here is the detailed model that I am attempting to re-skin.
McKadeDetailed.jpg
McKadeDetailed.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 19451 times

The toes are a bit messed up, but I plan on fixing that during the retopology process.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

. . . . .

Uh...
I would never have built the face neck or chest like that.
Okay, your methodology of how to do this is seems to be the opposite of how i was taught to...

For one thing, i always use a blinn-shaded preview and soft edges, not a constant shaded one or hard edges, unless something is supposed to be rigid or pointy. It's easier to spot errors in the shape when it looks smooth regardless of polycount.

I build the model right from the start from a basic primitive i extrude additional vertices's from, shaping them by manually moving individual verticies. If the first pass of the model has anywhere near that many verticies on any one part, I screwed it up. Second pass is just telling the program to smooth it, (which typicaly quadrouples the polycount, hence why I wanted it low before) and fixing any mistakes that crop up from that, sometimes more than once depending on the level of detail needed in the final render. then Rig, Test in a few poses, then do the normals, materials, and textures (I suck at texturing).
That's it, no multiple builds and I don't use subsurfs or sculpting tools at all...

I'm not sure what good my advice would do under these circumstances. since we have seemingly incompatible methods.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

its looking good I like the ears better than what i've done on any of mine
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey I think that it has come out really nicely so far!
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Buster wrote: For one thing, i always use a blinn-shaded preview and soft edges, not a constant shaded one or hard edges, unless something is supposed to be rigid or pointy. It's easier to spot errors in the shape when it looks smooth regardless of polycount.
I am admittedly uncertain of how this can be done in Blender. None of the tutorials I have seen made reference to it.
Buster wrote: I build the model right from the start from a basic primitive i extrude additional vertices's from, shaping them by manually moving individual verticies.
I technically started that way, but I could use some more discipline with keeping the number of polys low in the beginning.
Buster wrote: Second pass is just telling the program to smooth it, (which typicaly quadrouples the polycount, hence why I wanted it low before) and fixing any mistakes that crop up from that, sometimes more than once depending on the level of detail needed in the final render. then Rig, Test in a few poses, then do the normals, materials, and textures
That does make a lot of sense. The only workflow I have ever seen thus far in Blender is to make the basic shape with editing tools, then use a subsurf modifier and up the resolution as you make changes and add details with the sculpting. Once you are satisfied with the look, you tediously apply a new topology over it, then work on rigging, materials, and texture. The method you speak of does sound better, and I will definitely give it a try on the next build. Do you know of any tutorials that might help?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

JustAThought wrote: I am admittedly uncertain of how this can be done in Blender. None of the tutorials I have seen made reference to it.
I've never liked blender. I've always found it clunky compared to any of the programs school trained my on. (Rhino3D in highschool, Maya & Zbrush at NSCC) I'll download a copy and see if I can come up with a workaround for you though.
JustAThought wrote: I technically started that way, but I could use some more discipline with keeping the number of polys low in the beginning.
To be fair, you are doing this completely differently so for all i know that's a necessity of that method.
JustAThought wrote: That does make a lot of sense. The only workflow I have ever seen thus far in Blender is to make the basic shape with editing tools, then use a subsurf modifier and up the resolution as you make changes and add details with the sculpting. Once you are satisfied with the look, you tediously apply a new topology over it, then work on rigging, materials, and texture. The method you speak of does sound better, and I will definitely give it a try on the next build. Do you know of any tutorials that might help?
I think the difference here is i was taught by a trio of former animators at a school, where as most blender users are self taught. people who are making it up as they go will sometimes come up with great ideas, other times they come up with inefficient roundabouts methods because they don't know the alternative exists... given this one requires building the model twice, i would guess it's the later in this case.
JustAThought

Post by JustAThought »

Buster wrote: People who are making it up as they go will sometimes come up with great ideas, other times they come up with inefficient roundabouts methods because they don't know the alternative exists... given this one requires building the model twice, i would guess it's the later in this case.
You might be right. I could technically learn using the free three year student's license offered by Autodesk on Maya (by the way, a great deal if you are looking for something to learn with, or use for personal reasons), but I like the fact that Blender is open source. If I started doing commissions for monetary compensation at some point in the future, I really would rather not worry about the legality of profiting from the software I learned to use, and there is no chance I could ever afford to purchase the subscription to the full version of Maya.

Clunky, though it may be
You'll find it's worth it for me
To fight and struggle in a great battle
To herd the cats instead of the cattle
To use a program now brand new
To spend an hour and then find two
For through this hardship the secrets reveal
The pattern behind the fruit that I peel
A smoothie for me! Ha! what a goal!
But hard work is required to give the Blender a soul.

Also, I am almost finished with the new topology for the model. Very soon, I will be texturing and furrifying, and the updates will look interesting.