Lets Play Some Magic

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

lightwolf21

Re: Lets Play Some Magic

Post by lightwolf21 »

Sleet wrote:If you replace "criminal" with "rogue" for Watchwolves then it'll actually do something. Also, Pitfall is Terminate exactly.
Fixed by adding criminal creature type in Conspirators. Should PETA and Criminals be put together in some sort of "bad-guy like" faction or creature type?
Lol @ terminate, I really had no idea that was a real card, I just guessed on the effect and colors.
It seems like it would be relatively easy to get enough cards together for a set (there's enough art in the comics). The difficult part would be balancing them.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

lightwolf21 wrote:
Sleet wrote:If you replace "criminal" with "rogue" for Watchwolves then it'll actually do something. Also, Pitfall is Terminate exactly.
Fixed by adding criminal creature type in Conspirators. Should PETA and Criminals be put together in some sort of "bad-guy like" faction or creature type?
Lol @ terminate, I really had no idea that was a real card, I just guessed on the effect and colors.
It seems like it would be relatively easy to get enough cards together for a set (there's enough art in the comics). The difficult part would be balancing them.
well at least 20 or so of the cards in a set are lands so we need 229 xD
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It can also be a small set.

Also, designing a set has a lot more to it than just designing a number of cards. Mark Rosewater wrote an interesting article on it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
BillTheSetite

Post by BillTheSetite »

To be honest, I'd be more interested in using these to make alternate arts for cards I already have. Fanmade cards are often OP, and seeing a 1GG do what I'd usually see a 4GG do makes me cry inside, playful or not. But that's just me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Balancing isn't as easy as it seems. People who play a lot get a feel for how far an amount of mana should go, but it's easy to forget that not everyone has seen/played with enough cards to realize that a 5/5 for 2G is not OK.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
BillTheSetite

Post by BillTheSetite »

Oh, I know. Hence why I like Altered Art rather than customs. :P
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I can't say that magic does not have it share of OP cards.
infinity loops anyone? (in my elf deck)
Image + Image + Image
I'll turn my deck around now, k tnx

I have seen cards that do the exact same thing as one i already have but for 2 mana's cheaper and from a new edition.
...no i will NOT buy it because of that reason.
Last edited by Kyderra on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
BillTheSetite

Post by BillTheSetite »

You mean like M10's Megrim into M11's Lilliana's Caress? I would care more if Standard were either what we currently call Extended or what we currently call Legacy.

But sets rotate out. You sell your old cards to buy new ones if you compete in Standard, or you use the fact that you have new, cheaper versions as a way to play multiples of the same cards.

One of the cheapest decks that has actually placed within the Top 8 at a National Tournament takes Megrim and Lilliana's Caress and puts them into the same deck; Sure, you don't NEED the Megrims, but having 8 of a card changes the strategy that much more.

Of course, I'm not a Grognard, so I am not afraid to move and advance with the times. I'm not a fan of Extended or Legacy.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kyderra wrote:I have seen cards that do the exact same thing as one i already have but for 2 mana's cheaper and from a new edition.
...no i will NOT buy it because of that reason.
That's not because cards in general are getting better. It's because they reevaluate the worth of certain types of cards and effects, leading to some being more powerful and others becoming less powerful. They have said that they never want an entire card type to be worthless, so they shift the balance around. Creatures and auras have gotten noticeably stronger because they were too weak in the first place; creatureless decks were always big in tournaments and no one in tournaments ever played (beneficial) auras except possibly Rancor. They thought that was stupid so they have been readjusting card power over time. That is why we see things like Garruk's Companion instead of Grizzly Bears and Hyena Umbra instead of Lance. On the other side of things, we have Cancel instead of Counterspell and Mind Rot instead of Hymn to Tourach. Some things are stronger than they used to be, but cards in general have not gotten stronger over time. At least not significantly. If something is made strictly better than an old card, that just means that the old card was almost never used.
BillTheSetite

Post by BillTheSetite »

Just a suggestion: instead of using the official Magic website, I usually prefer to use http://magiccards.info/ because you can syntax search, search by subtype or supertype, search by legal edition, etc.

Not really relative, but I figured I should at least bring it up.

And while we're on the subject, is there anyone who plays MTGO/MODO, the official online program for Magic? Or perhaps even Duels of the Planeswalkers (on Steam, since my 360 is in storage)? I know I've talked about it on IRC with some folks, but I think getting together and playing some magic would be fun. And if we can get eight people, we could either pitch in the twelve bucks for a draft set on MTGO, or get Magic Workstation and either use Netdraft or another website that lets you draft online that I will edit the name of into this post at a later date when I find it.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

BillTheSetite wrote:Just a suggestion: instead of using the official Magic website, I usually prefer to use http://magiccards.info/ because you can syntax search, search by subtype or supertype, search by legal edition, etc.

Not really relative, but I figured I should at least bring it up.

And while we're on the subject, is there anyone who plays MTGO/MODO, the official online program for Magic? Or perhaps even Duels of the Planeswalkers (on Steam, since my 360 is in storage)? I know I've talked about it on IRC with some folks, but I think getting together and playing some magic would be fun. And if we can get eight people, we could either pitch in the twelve bucks for a draft set on MTGO, or get Magic Workstation and either use Netdraft or another website that lets you draft online that I will edit the name of into this post at a later date when I find it.
I personally use Lackey CCG but it would be really hard to draft like that xD Also I haven't forgotten about this just been a little busy. You all can feel free to post more cards and Idea and I'll get to work on making some of these. Slice I might need your help for some pictures XD.

Also Recursive Joke: Counter Target Spell.
BillTheSetite

Post by BillTheSetite »

Actually, if LackeyCCG had M11 cards in it, or technically really any set in it (Though I'd prefer standard), ccgdecks.com has a way to do online drafts and sealed packs, and if we use MWS exports the deck as a Magic Workstation file (though if we used Lackey CCG we could probably just search for the cards). We'd have to run on the honor system, sure, but I trust everyone to do so correctly. :P
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Alright if you want your cards added I suggest you post a zip file with the saved Magic Set data so I can add them to the series without having to crop pictures :)
Gizmo36

Post by Gizmo36 »

hey...... for the housepets cards, someone should make a "BROOM TO YOUR FACE!" card
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

And it maybe will need a card relative to: "Sonata for my boyfriend who, if he EVER REGIFTS ME AGAIN, will wake up with his ears stapled to his eyeballs...In D minor" JaJaJa :D
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I see no reason why a clearly dead topic from last year was bumped.

Locked.