Undertale

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Mickey

Undertale

Post by Mickey »

This thread is for discussion of the game and inevitable skeleton puns. I have also claimed Papyrus as my skeleson. I hope that doesn't rattle some bones.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Undertale

Post by Sleet »

I just finished it pretty recently! I liked it a lot. The story was great and I love the characters.

Also: Do you want this thread to be a spoiler free-for-all? Or spoiler tag everything?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I am seriously considering getting the game after watching all the Let's Plays. This has the potential to be either the most idealistic or the most horrific game in history, and it all depends on how you play it.

Oh yeah: Goat mom is best mom. :P
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Sleet wrote:I just finished it pretty recently! I liked it a lot. The story was great and I love the characters.

Also: Do you want this thread to be a spoiler free-for-all? Or spoiler tag everything?
Probably spoiler-tag.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

I was waiting for someone to make a thread for this! I love this game so much, in fact it's my second favourite video game of all time. I actually considered putting together a Napstablook costume for halloween tomorrow, but I'm thinking no one will know who it is.
Mickey wrote:This thread is for discussion of the game and inevitable skeleton puns. I have also claimed Papyrus as my skeleson. I hope that doesn't rattle some bones.
As long as you stay away from Sans. Then I might have a bone to pick with you.
*purrs loudly*

IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

So I have heard this game mentioned A LOT around the forums and skype chat so I would like to know what is it about?
Hi Hi Pie
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Plot-wise: Long ago, two races ruled the Earth. HUMANS and MONSTERS. One day, war broke out between the two races. After a long battle, the humans were victorious. They sealed the monsters underground with a magic spell. Many years later... Legends say that those who climb Mount Ebbott never return. Guess what you (the protagonist) just did? It'd be spoiler-tastic to go much further.

Gameplay-wise: It's a mix between an RPG, a visual novel and bullet hell. Why the latter two? When engaging an enemy, you're given various options, and a lot of playing the game a certain way revolves around trying to pick the right actions. As for when an enemy engages you... well that's where the bullet hell begins. You're put in a box, you control a heart and try and evade the enemies' attacks.

Take a pinch of Earthbound, add some internet memes, throw in a whole bunch of feels, shake well and serve. That's Undertale, best as I can put it.

EDIT: This might help. Forewarning, bit of language. Not too much, though.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

game of the year as far as I'm concerned.
I auditioned for a thing voicing it (for most of the male/possibly male characters) but didn't get a part. and now I'll audition for another.
(here's a link for anyone interested in trying)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
TurtleCopter
Location: 1 mile away from "I'll never do anything that stupid again"

Post by TurtleCopter »

This game was pretty good. I think my favorite part was *KILLING EVERYTHING IN THIS POINTLESS WORLD FOR THAT GLORIOUS LOVE AND EXP THAT I CRAVE OH SO MUCH. (•‿•)
It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Enjoy a Bonetrousle! remix.

By the way, since it hasn't been said in this thread in particular...

The soundtrack is amazing~
RP chars:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

of course it was, Toby is primarily a musician I believe. he wrote the music before designing the levels and fights associated with them.
my favorite is dogsong
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

[ Discovering a thread about Undertale fills you with DETERMINATION. ]
[Save?]

found this via tumblr, Skelebros in a nutshell.
https://soundcloud.com/anime_sonicmega/ ... tape-final (spoilers)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It was a great game, indeed. I liked the game for it's NES styled gameplay and it's potential to push a NES game to it's limits on a PC engine. :3

Story-wise, this gave me the same kind of feeling i had when i first started playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Regret for your actions. so that's saying something. X3

That said, i'm hoping to do a full review for the game somewhere around christmas. I have to unfortunately explore every inch of the game before i give a indepth review of it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

GameCobra wrote:I have to unfortunately explore every inch of the game before i give a indepth review of it.
be careful with that. the game remembers what you've done on previous runs and changes itself.

If you play a bad run after a good end run the character dialogs are different, and if you play a good end run after a bad end run you don't get the normal good ending. Dieing or reloading at certain points triggers special dialogs. Resetting a good end run also changes the dialogs for subsequent good and neutral runs. also there's a secret area you can only enter after a good end run, but only if you've never died, ever, And another hidden room that you need to dodge the credits to get into, (i haven't gotten into either, i don't even know where the 2nd one is, so I can't confirm whether or not they're rumors) and two bonus bosses that only appear under certain conditions.

Making certain permutations impossible to get after a certain point, unless you wipe your saves and uninstall.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Aye. i'm aware of it. I'm also tempted to just do a early review instead and just chalking up my experiences from what i learned instead of doing a wholesome experience review. Might go with the early review option instead.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:of course it was, Toby is primarily a musician I believe. he wrote the music before designing the levels and fights associated with them.
my favorite is dogsong
Annoying Dog and Temmie are great characters. <3

I really like the music that plays in Toriel's house. So comforting yet sad...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
himeakira

Post by himeakira »

I really want to buy the game but does someone know if it is going to be on ps4 or any console??? D:
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Doubt it. Certain gameplay elements would be hard to replicate on a console fashion. It was also more or less a one man development job.
Buster wrote:found this via tumblr, Skelebros in a nutshell.
My headcanon!Sans sounds a bit different, but by god that Papyrus is amazing.
RP chars:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

himeakira wrote:I really want to buy the game but does someone know if it is going to be on ps4 or any console??? D:
Why would it need to be? Pretty much everybody has a computer, the game is single-player, and it's not so demanding on a computer that it'd shut out people who don't have fancy gaming computers.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

So, I had a listen at some of the game's OSTs.

Wow.

It's been a while since I've heard a game soundtrack that is as diverse and rich as this one. The emotion employed in each of the songs really shone through to me, so it makes them very enjoyable.

I don't intend to ever play the game, ever, after seeing some spoilers and how the game requires a very large amount of emotional investment and how it manipulates your emotions, but at least I get to enjoy the songs as they are. I'll probably gonna buy the soundtrack from Toby's Bandcamp as a tip for the amazing compositions.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

if you don't plan to ever play, I'd recommend watching playthroughs. see someone else get emotionally invested instead of you. though I suppose there'd still be some level of emotional investment on your part.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

Buster wrote:found this via tumblr, Skelebros in a nutshell.
This is amazing, my life is now complete.
*purrs loudly*

Oblivious Adobo

Post by Oblivious Adobo »

Sleet wrote:
himeakira wrote:I really want to buy the game but does someone know if it is going to be on ps4 or any console??? D:
Why would it need to be? Pretty much everybody has a computer, the game is single-player, and it's not so demanding on a computer that it'd shut out people who don't have fancy gaming computers.
While I also don't think it needs to be on a home console, wouldn't it be awesome if you could play it on the 3ds? I'd love to have this game on a portable handheld.
I'm like a ninja; only loud and annoying.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:if you don't plan to ever play, I'd recommend watching playthroughs. see someone else get emotionally invested instead of you. though I suppose there'd still be some level of emotional investment on your part.
Pretty much, yeah. So no playthroughs either. I'm an easily influenced otter =w=

I did spoil myself and watched the final parts of the game though. Welp, even that I had a hard time recovering from, so that's a good indicator of how naive I am xD

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And that's without going through the whole game and growing attached to the characters.

I teared up during the final battle. T_T The idea of a final boss begging you to die because they know if you win you'll put the game down and they'll never see you again is heartbreaking.
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

Sleet wrote:And that's without going through the whole game and growing attached to the characters.

I teared up during the final battle. T_T The idea of a final boss begging you to die because they know if you win you'll put the game down and they'll never see you again is heartbreaking.
Might want to put a spoiler tag on that last part, but yeah, that scene actually made me cry when I played it the first time. So far it's the only video game to actually make me cry, although other games have come close.
*purrs loudly*

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

If you believe a spoiler tag is necessary, please do not quote the part in question. It's not even necessary to quote the post immediately before yours - it's assumed you're replying to that one anyway.

While many folks finished the game, many others (including your humble forum administrator) have not. Please don't ruin their experiences.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I love the music in the game. I love to dance to Megalovania and Bonetrousle. But my favorite has to be Your Best Nightmare for one reason and one reason only.

That sinister laugh scares my brother awake and it is hilarious.
My characters!
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

Just started playing, and I love it! I haven't laughed this hard at a game in a long time...
My DA can be found Here!
Dr_Yay

Post by Dr_Yay »

[Genocide Run spoilers?]
I've played through all of the endings (not counting all the different variations on the neutral ending), and after I finished the neutral ending I was actually looking forward to playing the Genocide route, because I was curious just how different everything would be.Turns out, it was pretty disappointing imo since there's only 2 battles that are any challenge at all, and they are WAY too challenging. Besides that it was also very annoying grinding for enemies to slaughter.
Twitter- @Luna_Blaster
Skype- Dr_Yay
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My assumption in these kinds of threads is usually that people who don't want spoilers know better than to go into them. *giggles* But sorry if I spoiled anybody! D:
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

Just finished the game, and if anyone went through the pacifist route and did not go back through the ENTIRE game to talk to everybody after opening up the barrier, then I would HIGHLY SUGGEST DOING SO. Even more feels happen.

One of the best games that I have ever played, to be honest.
My DA can be found Here!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I did the true pacifist route to start. I'm re-doing it to get stuff I missed before. For example, I wanted to totally see through the "concert" with Shyren, and see if I could improve my time fighting Mettaton EX even more. I'm right now saved right before the Neutral battle with Asgore.

If you know how the battle goes, the battle with Photoshop Flowey (that's the official in-game name of "Omega" or "God" Flowey) is actually pretty easy. You just have to be patient and, of course, stay determined.

For the record, I only befriended Papyrus before the Asgore fight this time, because I wanted to get the letter to Alphys right after befriending Undyne this time around.

I don't think I could ever do a genocide run.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I already seen the videos of what it's like. However, as much as i hate the genocide run, i think watching enough videos convinced me i should be playing the run. Watching videos of it is just cheating. Uuuuuugh. This game suckered me. =(
Dr_Yay

Post by Dr_Yay »

Heh, that reminds me... there's a line Flowey says near the end of the Genocide route that makes fun of people watching it instead of playing, I wonder just how many people did actually do that :p
Twitter- @Luna_Blaster
Skype- Dr_Yay
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I may have to do that. I'm having trouble against Undyne and I'm told that if she's this hard for me, then I'm gonna have a bad time later.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Undyne the Undying, or just Undyne? I never did Genocide, so I can't speak to the difficulty outside of watching videos of the fights. On Pacifist, I actually didn't have any trouble with Undyne, got through first time. Papyrus, Asgore, and Flowey got me once each, but it was Mettaton that was by far the hardest for me.
RP chars:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I finished true pacifist like a month ago, I'm stuck in the Genocide run.

pacifist run everything was easy. I let Papyrus get me 3 times cause I'd already seen that that had no negative effects in youtube playthroughs.
so the one that gave me the biggest problem was probably Muffet but not much.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Yeah, I just ate one of the spider pastries that I'd got in the ruins the first time I took damage. I'd heard about the trick, wanted to see it for myself. Sure enough, it worked.
RP chars:
Dr_Yay

Post by Dr_Yay »

CosmicCoyote wrote:Yeah, I just ate one of the spider pastries that I'd got in the ruins the first time I took damage. I'd heard about the trick, wanted to see it for myself. Sure enough, it worked.
If you really want to grind for enough money with the Cloudy Glasses trick you can also buy from Muffets stand and the battle won't even start at all :P
Twitter- @Luna_Blaster
Skype- Dr_Yay