Name one flaw of your favorite characters

Discuss the comic here
Saturn381

Name one flaw of your favorite characters

Post by Saturn381 »

Now here's something I think could be fun. Name one thing of your favorite characters in Housepets that you do not like. I'll start.

Grape sometimes comes off a little too selfish.

Also just to clarify, this thread is not trying to criticize Rick's work. Like I said, this is just for fun.
Last edited by Saturn381 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buster
Game Master

Re: Name one flaw of your favorite characters

Post by Buster »

Dragon.

Overly manipulative, but in a stealthy way rather than her brother's more overt methods.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Fox is too loyal, if you get my meaning. I mean backing someone up just because you've been friends with them although you don't approve of what they're doing.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Peanut is a little too air-headed at times. (most recent example being inciting the rage of a Sabrecat)

of course it's what makes him funny and he still has his bright moments, so I don't want it to change :P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, Peanut sometimes comes off as dense. I love the guy, but you were told at least twice that Dragon and Tarot were different entities before Gallifrax. At least he came off as sincere over how bad he felt about that when confronted...FOR THE THIRD TIME!

And such as when they showed up in the past, Peanut just doesn't seem to get certain things.

I guess I want to say, he's knowledgeable, but he's not entirely sensible.

Oh, carp, I just realized another reason I like him, he's a bit like me.

I might be able to come up with something for everyone, but this is for favorite character :P
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

D-Rock wrote:Oh, carp, I just realized another reason I like him, he's a bit like me.
that's exactly why I like him, too. right down to the imaginating (sans the paper bag hats).

though I'm not sure I share his character flaw.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Kevin seems a bit dumb and is only good for tackling and lifting weights and having a one-track mind. Its a wonder that Sevin had lasted this long since even though Sasha is a bit scatterbrained, she has some hidden depths. Kevin needs some depths also. I like the way dryideabat writes for him in our fanfic.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Bino exists.

Seriously, Bino is too focused on power.

But that just makes him more like me! And you love me!
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Grape lets her emotions cloud her judgement so easily.

But that's also why i love her :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I start to don't like Maxwell, who shares something with me, when he becomes too much dork, boaster and prig. He doesn't neither try to be funny at that... :P
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

Saturn381 wrote:Also just to clarify, this thread is not trying to criticize Rick's work. Like I said, this is just for fun.
Well, it is often a sign of a bad writer to have characters without any flaws, so pointing out the flaws of the protagonists is not pointing out the flaws of the writer. So long as the characters remain likable(some writers, Rick Griffin thankfully NOT among them, have taken the "flawed hero" thing way too far and created "heroes" who are just as evil as the villains), flaws make the protagonists more realistic, relateable, and funny.
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well you know he really is able to do that and also give characters hidden depths so he definitely is an exemplary writer.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

King has the mouth of a sailor.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That's one of the things I love about him though! XD
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

Tarot's too stubborn with her pride, and thus never truly open with her feelings. And as we just witnessed tonight, after bottling up for such a very long time, my goodness can she ever pop.

*hugs a plush pompom* There, there...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Pete is probably a little too humble and reserved for his own good.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...sir, that does remind me that for the brief moments we saw them outside of the context of the game, Pete and Dragon are really the equivalent of children. Both are manipulative, but once it was over, we saw the fear of the unknown that is usually seen in younger people.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Well, I mean... they are, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of teenagers.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I imagine that Tarot is thisclose to a nervous breakdown.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Kevin seems a bit dumb and is only good for tackling and lifting weights and having a one-track mind. Its a wonder that Sevin had lasted this long since even though Sasha is a bit scatterbrained, she has some hidden depths. Kevin needs some depths also. I like the way dryideabat writes for him in our fanfic.
Well to be fair in "The case of the aztec gold" he was able to figure out how that teleportation spell works and that helped them to arrest the thieves. Also maybe I'm reading too much into it, but he seems very comfortable wearing women's clothing so maybe that is a hint for a hidden depth? :mrgreen:
Still I must admit he is a little bit too narcissistic, but maybe it will change thanks to his relationship with Sasha.

Otherwise..well..Max should work a little bit on his self esteem sometimes, but otherwise there isn't much too say about it :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tarot doesn't do enough that isn't plot advancement.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Sleet wrote:Tarot doesn't do enough that isn't plot advancement.
That's probably part of why she's so cranky.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If she's so angry about that all of the time, maybe she should take it up with Rick.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Okay, I'm changing mine to 'has no taste in hats' given I'm pretty sure Dragon made that ugly thing.
Really glad those went out of style thousands of years ago.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They might be in style in the time period they are in now though.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

1. Tarot has always the same face expression (without counting the imageniate arcs) it didn't change until the halloween special when she was with karishad Scaredy Cats (in this one, she is shown happy instead of his regular expression) , and it didn't do often until the BC 5000 arcs.

EDIT: Correction

2. Shasha's personality is confusing, it's like she has two personalities (when she is with King or she is alone she seems to be more intelligent and more worried, but when she is with other dogs, she is silly and less worried)
Last edited by tsMKG on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

According to Rick, Sasha might be more intelligent than she lets on.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Sasha is more intelligent. She knew that Bino was regifting her and she was able to play the little piano.
On the other hand for what should she use her brain? Career? She has no job and doesn't need one. I think the reason why she comes off as dumb is because she has her own logic and misunderstands some things.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe if she was with someone who was smarter *coughcoughcoughFoxciughcoughcough*, her intellect would show through a bit more. And if Kevin was with someone who enjoyed to work out as much as he did or even more, he might get so tired out that he would have t use his brain why he recovers! :P

Don't question comic logic folks. :P
valerio

Post by valerio »

Kingy needs to be more dog, sometimes, but his inner dualism can be the funniest thing ever, especially during Bailey's pregnancy.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, you have to cut him some slack on that, born and raised human means he'll be holding onto human tendencies and instincts for a while, if not for the rest of his life. He won't get the benefits of dog instinct. Everything about that he would have to learn as he goes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How many years has he been a dog? It would take maybe a few more years from now for him to pick up on his dog habits.

I wanna see him sniff a butt.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:How many years has he been a dog? It would take maybe a few more years from now for him to pick up on his dog habits.

I wanna see him sniff a butt.
well, we didn't see it as drawn, but he did in the bonus story "All the King's Men", in the HP volume 2. Funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well unless somebody posts it online, I've got nothing.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well unless somebody posts it online, I've got nothing.
*waves fingers hypnotically* buy the book, buy the book, buy the booOOOOk....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that's not happening.

Maybe one day I can see it illustrated. Maybe for the 50th anniversary special.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Other flaw: Grape boyfriend confusion (this is even stated on HP!1X )

Seriously, for me I think that Grape's BF is Maxwell but a lot of HP! fans still think that her BF is Peanut. Even if he is her brother :|

If you don't believe me, here's an evidence:

http://0-b.deviantart.com/art/Kittenpuppies-189888865

And another flaw: Fox's fur color is odd. There's a pink tint in the brighter part of the fur.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Another flaw: Tarot from the beginning to 2012 felt kinda bland to me. Even though she was Peanut's girlfriend and Dragon's avatar, she just wasn't that interesting. Thankfully starting in 2013, that seems to change and now she's more interesting than ever.
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

tsMKG wrote:Other flaw: Grape boyfriend confusion (this is even stated on HP!1X )

Seriously, for me I think that Grape's BF is Maxwell but a lot of HP! fans still think that her BF is Peanut. Even if he is her brother :|

If you don't believe me, here's an evidence:

And another flaw: Fox's fur color is odd. There's a pink tint in the brighter part of the fur.
See, the problem here is that you're referring to fanworks that depicted this "boyfriend confusion"

Grape has always had whimsicle crushes on beefy boys since several years ago--that's just kinda her thing. For several years, there has literally been nothing in the actual comic implying that Peanut and Grape are considered an item. She's clearly commited to Maxwell.

I feel I may come off as an overzealous Grapewell shipper when it comes to discussions like these, but when it comes to talking about the official side of Housepets, it's silly to place these opinions as definite--as in I wouldn't really call this a personality flaw for Grape. At all. Like ever.
tsMKG wrote: If you don't believe me, here's an evidence:

And again, you're referring to more fanart. That's just it--it's something for fans to go off with in their own little world. Let them do that if they want, every fandom's gonna have their noncanon ships.

How about we instead just say that Grape's whimsicle crushes are a flaw? That seems to hold a brighter candle to the discussion, and even though Max recently said he's cool with it, hmmmm...I still feel like he's not completely cool with it, but what do I know.

EDIT: Also you can't really say there is "boyfriend confusion" after this happened. I'm pretty sure our four lovely fluffies know who's dating who

Anywho, as for Fox's fur...I don't really see the pink tint, and the colours on some of the pages have always been a bit odd--whether it was lighting in the comic world, or just a messed up upload. Again, I don't think this is a flaw, and more like criticism towards the comic itself...
Saturn381 wrote:Another flaw: Tarot from the beginning to 2012 felt kinda bland to me. Even though she was Peanut's girlfriend and Dragon's avatar, she just wasn't that interesting. Thankfully starting in 2013, that seems to change and now she's more interesting than ever.
You're pretty darn right on this. Though even back then, I still found Tarot to be interesting, quirky, and definitely very cute :3
But I do adore her much more now that she has a little more 'tude to her--really brings more life to her character.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Officially, Grapewell and Tarnut are canon. However, I have a feeling that when Rick decides to call it a day on the comic, we might get Grapenut together as a couple.