Lets Play Some Magic

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dusty

Lets Play Some Magic

Post by Dusty »

I'm no where near done yet, but you get the idea :P When I found a Magic Card creator I couldn't resist. Feel free to list other characters and what affects they should have. If we get 249 cards we can release a full set and play House Pets: The Gathering :P

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Dusty on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tiggy

Re: Lets Play Some Magic

Post by Tiggy »

Brilliant!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
valerio

Post by valerio »

this is totally AWESOME.
do you have a link to the site of MTG card creator? Maybe I can come up with something.
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

You know I love these. I still think "Rick's Plot Ideas" should be a Shroud creature :p
I bet you can do something cool with the Dolphins, and also the K-9s should totally work like Soldiers. DOG WEENIE!!! (Edit - As in... White Weenie. Not as in... well, there is obviously no other way to interpret it >_>)
Last edited by sliceofdog on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Heh, I love them :D. Just... what game is that, exactly?
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

sliceofdog wrote: DOG WEENIE!!!
Don't ever say that again :P

Anyway let me get that link though I have a suggestion. Note the series numbers at the very bottom below Rick's name. Those are tied to the set. Give me the image and the effect and I'll add it to the current set so the series numbers and icon stay right.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/magicse ... e/download

Also Alex the game is Magic The Gathering. Its a CCG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_The_Gathering
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Everybody get naked WOO! Card, anyone?:p (Incapacitates creatures on the field for one turn?:>)
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Tobee wrote:Everybody get naked WOO! Card, anyone?:p (Incapacitates creatures on the field for one turn?:>)
Orange Soda Artifact Equipment. Equipped creature gets -2/-2 and doesn't untap during its controllers untap phase.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hm... time for something similar:
[Image
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

fenning

Post by fenning »

Ahh, the 90's. Back when things like Yu-gi-oh and Magic were accepted in society. Hehe, Jk. I like Yu-gi-oh too! Not so strong on Magic, though.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

I bought a pack of yu gi oh cards way back when. I had nobody to play them with so now i use them as bookmarks, throwing cards, and origami!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Alex wrote:Hm... time for something similar:
Ew yu-gi-oh :P Never really cared for it even when it was big. Magic's a little more up my alley :P
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Same as Dusty, I'm not a big fan of YuGiOh. (Or a... small fan)
Magic I do play though. And on that note:

Either 'Broom' as an equipment or 'BROOM TO YOUR FACE!' as an Instant, or both. The first could be +2/+0 to defending creature, the second could destroy attacking creature. Probably red/white.
And 'Keep it PG13' as counter spell, blue/white.
Might I also suggest 'Actually sort of a jerk' as a black enchantment, just +2/+2 target creature or something.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

sliceofdog wrote:Same as Dusty, I'm not a big fan of YuGiOh. (Or a... small fan)
Magic I do play though. And on that note:

Either 'Broom' as an equipment or 'BROOM TO YOUR FACE!' as an Instant, or both. The first could be +2/+0 to defending creature, the second could destroy attacking creature. Probably red/white.
Might I also suggest 'Actually sort of a jerk' as a black enchantment, just +2/+2 target creature or something.
If you could scrounge me up some pics of Pete you'd be my hero :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Alex wrote:Heh, I love them :D. Just... what game is that, exactly?
Magic: The Gathering. The first and still the best trading card game ever. Also the only one where you can trust your cards to be worth anything for longer than a year.

Anyway, nerd alert: Sleet is about to nitpick balance and color assignment. Non-Magic fans are advised not to read further.

-Censor is already a white spell, in the form of Silence. That's also generally a white effect, but perhaps "if an opponent tries to cast a spell this turn, counter that spell" would be a more blue way to put it. It costing 1U instead of U is appropriate, since it's still slightly off-color.
-"Rat" is a creature type, not "mouse," which communist mice probably could be included under. Direct destruction is usually more black, but Grape's politics lean towards a variation on anarchy, which is very red, so I'd call it acceptable. :P
-(Evil) Max is kind of weak for the cost, even if he can be expected to be up against other cats. I'd say a 2/2 for 1B would be more useful.
-Grape's ability probably should require tapping. It's just too good as is. I'm also not sure how white she is, but that ability is certainly white and appropriate for Grape.
-Imaginate! can slide because it's more an Unglued-style card. It probably shouldn't be colorless, though. That's more an Eldrazi thing.
-Peanut could just summon a token version of Spot (superdog) card so it doesn't require owning one in order to be of any use.
-She is Protected also already exists as Indestructibility, which costs a lot less. Also there's nothing blue about indestructibility. In fact, Myojin of Seeing Winds is the only indestructible blue permanent in existence and that's just because they made one of every color.
-Spot (superdog) is overpowered, but I assume that's kind of the point. I'm not sure anything with protection from everything really needs first strike. Also, just in case you're not aware of this card, protection from everything has been done. So if you didn't know about that, then congratulations, you just came up with an idea for an ability that Wizards saw as worth printing.
-Tarot seems more blue than white to me. I also don't see why anyone would ever target her with that ability. Perhaps it should be easier to trigger. I'd consider lowering her to a 1/1 and make it trigger whenever she takes damage. Also, Spirit Dragon needs a color. The Spirit Dragon token is pretty funny, actually, since spirit and dragon are both creature types, and when a token does not have a given name, its creature type is considered its name (a 2/2 wolf token would be called "Wolf" unless the spell specifically tells you to call it Voja or something). So the game would automatically name it Spirit Dragon, which coincidentally is actually her name. I just thought that was funny.
-You can only equip your own creatures, yaknow, so Orange Soda would be pretty useless. Or perhaps that's the point? If it is to be actually useful, it can give them haste and cost either 1 or 0 to equip. That sounds like pets-on-orange-soda to me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Sleet wrote:
Alex wrote:Heh, I love them :D. Just... what game is that, exactly?
Magic: The Gathering. The first and still the best trading card game ever. Also the only one where you can trust your cards to be worth anything for longer than a year.

Anyway, nerd alert: Sleet is about to nitpick balance and color assignment. Non-Magic fans are advised not to read further.

-Censor is already a white spell, in the form of Silence. That's also generally a white effect, but perhaps "if an opponent tries to cast a spell this turn, counter that spell" would be a more blue way to put it. It costing 1U instead of U is appropriate, since it's still slightly off-color.
-"Rat" is a creature type, not "mouse," which communist mice probably could be included under. Direct destruction is usually more black, but Grape's politics lean towards a variation on anarchy, which is very red, so I'd call it acceptable. :P
-(Evil) Max is kind of weak for the cost, even if he can be expected to be up against other cats. I'd say a 2/2 for 1B would be more useful.
-Grape's ability probably should require tapping. It's just too good as is. I'm also not sure how white she is, but that ability is certainly white and appropriate for Grape.
-Imaginate! can slide because it's more an Unglued-style card. It probably shouldn't be colorless, though. That's more an Eldrazi thing.
-Peanut could just summon a token version of Spot (superdog) card so it doesn't require owning one in order to be of any use.
-She is Protected also already exists as Indestructibility, which costs a lot less. Also there's nothing blue about indestructibility. In fact, Myojin of Seeing Winds is the only indestructible blue permanent in existence and that's just because they made one of every color.
-Spot (superdog) is overpowered, but I assume that's kind of the point. I'm not sure anything with protection from everything really needs first strike. Also, just in case you're not aware of this card, protection from everything has been done. So if you didn't know about that, then congratulations, you just came up with an idea for an ability that Wizards saw as worth printing.
-Tarot seems more blue than white to me. I also don't see why anyone would ever target her with that ability. Perhaps it should be easier to trigger. I'd consider lowering her to a 1/1 and make it trigger whenever she takes damage. Also, Spirit Dragon needs a color. The Spirit Dragon token is pretty funny, actually, since spirit and dragon are both creature types, and when a token does not have a given name, its creature type is considered its name (a 2/2 wolf token would be called "Wolf" unless the spell specifically tells you to call it Voja or something). So the game would automatically name it Spirit Dragon, which coincidentally is actually her name. I just thought that was funny.
-You can only equip your own creatures, yaknow, so Orange Soda would be pretty useless. Or perhaps that's the point? If it is to be actually useful, it can give them haste and cost either 1 or 0 to equip. That sounds like pets-on-orange-soda to me.
I know that a lot of these spells already exist, and I wasn't trying to balance them xD The reason that Grape's ability isn't tap is because I haven't figured out how to make he Tap symbol yet xD I am fully aware of Progentitus. Imaginate was the first card I made and I thought colorless fit it the best. Peanut's ability calls for a real card because.... I wanted a Spot Card :P I've been playing Magic for about a year so trust me I know the rules. Tarot is going to stay white and Pete's going to be blue since he LOVES bending rules and finding loops holes xD
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

New cards!

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I don't even like Magic and I think it's cool.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Alright Edited my first post with the most up to date set. Has some tweaks in it as well as some new cards.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Heh, I also want to try something similar some day, too bad I don't play Magic. I play Yu-gi-oh though!

Zach needs an effect for Marvin too, like gaining 2000 DEF.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

If any of you all have suggestions or cards you've made feel free to post them or PM them too me :P
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Reminds me of Pokemon cards. >:|
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Reminds me of Pokemon cards. >:|
Magic is much better than Pokemon cards :p
And even if it wasn't, Dusty's going for quite a humorous approach to it anyway, so it shouldn't matter.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Land destruction in green? :O
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Sleet wrote:Land destruction in green? :O
I take it you've never been up against a Green land destroy deck. You are very lucky indeed v_v

Step 1: Get creatures you can tap for mana.
Step 2: Lull friend into false sense of security by having way too much mana and nothing useful.
Step 3: Bring out Realm Razor (When it enters the field, it removes ALL land from the game)
Step 4: Tap creatures for mana while no one else can play anything
Step 5: win

So... so evil! ><
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Sleet wrote:Land destruction in green? :O
I saw 2 green cards with haste okay, I don't know what to believe in this world D:

Any who, a few new cards going up in a sec :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Haste is becoming more green, whereas killing lands is directly opposite to green!

...Then again, we have Hornet Sting now, so I don't even know what to believe anymore. *sobs*
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

cards up

:D
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Maybe I should make a new card for each strip as a running theme....

Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

ImageImage
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

XD Nice Kyderra. Also, that's a pretty good idea Dusty, although I'm not sure every strip will provide a good enough base for a card. We'll see where it goes from here. Speaking of, I noticed we're getting way more whites and blues than anything else, which made me start thinking of cards for other colours.

The Wolves would have to be green, I think. There can be Miles, Lucretia, Daryl and the cubs, as well as probably just a 'Pack member' generic wolf. Not really got an idea what each can have though, I find green creatures quite boring XD

Raw Meat - Artifact, equiptment; When equipped creature attacks, allied wolf creatures attacking that turn gain +1/+1. When equipped creature defends, allied wolf creatures defending that turn gain +1/+1. (Cost - 1, R, G)

Our Life Sucks - Enchantment; Wolf creatures controlled by target player gain -2/-2 unless target player controls a non-wolf creature. (2, B, B) (With B being Black, not Blue :p )

Bucket Seat - Instant; Target Creature gains Haste and +0/-1 for a turn (R) (From these comics https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/12/17/lame-joke-83/ and https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/12/ ... s-edition/)

Officer Bill - Creature; At the beginning of each turn, you may have Officer Bill become Wolf or K-9 in addition to other types until the end of turn. (Probably blue/white, but I just wanted to suggest that ability ^_^)

Raccoon - Creature; Whenever Raccoon deals damage to a player, you may draw a card. 2/3. (2, B, U (With U being short for Blue for some silly reason))

Mouse Naming Convention - Sorcery; Tap all Mouse creatures controlled by Target Player (2, U, U) Kicker; Creatures do not untap next turn (1, U, U)

Adopted into the Program - Instant; Whenever a creature would be sent to the graveyard from anywhere, you may take it into your hand (No idea how much these cards tend to cost, so I'll let Dusty sort that out. I was thinking Green/White though)

Can't think of much more specifics, but there should be Celia and Thomas Milton as black or red/black creatures. Oh, and I also imagine Kevin (K-9) as being a pure white but having a red ability, probably tap to deal two damage to target creature or something.

I would also like to re-post my earlier suggestions in case they were missed, because I was rather proud of them :p

"Either 'Broom' as an equipment or 'BROOM TO YOUR FACE!' as an Instant, or both. The first could be +2/+0 to defending creature, the second could destroy attacking creature. Probably red/white.
Might I also suggest 'Actually sort of a jerk' as a black enchantment, just +2/+2 target creature or something."
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Has anybody made a Pokemon version yet?
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Kyderra wrote:ImageImage
Bloody brilliant!

sliceofdog wrote:XD Nice Kyderra. Also, that's a pretty good idea Dusty, although I'm not sure every strip will provide a good enough base for a card. We'll see where it goes from here. Speaking of, I noticed we're getting way more whites and blues than anything else, which made me start thinking of cards for other colours.

The Wolves would have to be green, I think. There can be Miles, Lucretia, Daryl and the cubs, as well as probably just a 'Pack member' generic wolf. Not really got an idea what each can have though, I find green creatures quite boring XD

Raw Meat - Artifact, equiptment; When equipped creature attacks, allied wolf creatures attacking that turn gain +1/+1. When equipped creature defends, allied wolf creatures defending that turn gain +1/+1. (Cost - 1, R, G)

Our Life Sucks - Enchantment; Wolf creatures controlled by target player gain -2/-2 unless target player controls a non-wolf creature. (2, B, B) (With B being Black, not Blue :p )

Bucket Seat - Instant; Target Creature gains Haste and +0/-1 for a turn (R) (From these comics https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/12/17/lame-joke-83/ and https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/12/ ... s-edition/)

Officer Bill - Creature; At the beginning of each turn, you may have Officer Bill become Wolf or K-9 in addition to other types until the end of turn. (Probably blue/white, but I just wanted to suggest that ability ^_^)

Raccoon - Creature; Whenever Raccoon deals damage to a player, you may draw a card. 2/3. (2, B, U (With U being short for Blue for some silly reason))

Mouse Naming Convention - Sorcery; Tap all Mouse creatures controlled by Target Player (2, U, U) Kicker; Creatures do not untap next turn (1, U, U)

Adopted into the Program - Instant; Whenever a creature would be sent to the graveyard from anywhere, you may take it into your hand (No idea how much these cards tend to cost, so I'll let Dusty sort that out. I was thinking Green/White though)

Can't think of much more specifics, but there should be Celia and Thomas Milton as black or red/black creatures. Oh, and I also imagine Kevin (K-9) as being a pure white but having a red ability, probably tap to deal two damage to target creature or something.

I would also like to re-post my earlier suggestions in case they were missed, because I was rather proud of them :p

"Either 'Broom' as an equipment or 'BROOM TO YOUR FACE!' as an Instant, or both. The first could be +2/+0 to defending creature, the second could destroy attacking creature. Probably red/white.
Might I also suggest 'Actually sort of a jerk' as a black enchantment, just +2/+2 target creature or something."
Some good ideas, but Adopted into a Program is actually very Black spell effect xD I know it doesn't fit the context but for the effect thats a black card.
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Wow, I'm actually a bit surprised at the number of MtG players here. These cards are all quite clever. :D MtG FTW
Where can I get that paw symbol for the set's icon?
EDIT = Cards updated. Please let me know what you think.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I sketched the Pawprint in the editor, I think it exports as a bitmap and if so I think I can post it. Or I can do like Kyderra's and simplu cut the image out and remake the card xD

Easter Egg hunt is a very red effect, but since we already have a card that destroys all lands I'd suggest changing the white to Red and make it "destroy target land." Also for watch wolves I'd almost say give them flash so they can be played at any time. And maybe I'm missing something but the tap effect seems redundant, since its a legendary creature only one can be on the battlefield at a time per the "legend rule". Maybe give it flash and "when this creature enters the battlefield it gains reach and is indestructible until the end of turn."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Only in Babylon Gardens do the wolves watch the ferrets. Also it isn't necessary to say that the new ones come into play untapped; when spells aren't cast they will always be untapped unless stated otherwise. And recently "comes into play" was changed into "enters the battlefield." EDIT: Apparently I noticed something that subtle but didn't realize that you made the card legendary. It shouldn't be legendary, since not only does it not refer to a specific person/animal, but when it summons its friend, they would both go to the graveyard because of the legend rule. EDIT NUMERO TWO: Making it indestructible will do nothing, since not only is the legend rule constantly applied, rather than just when a permanent comes into play, and the legend rule is not a destroy effect anyway. Konda wouldn't care about the legend rule if it worked any other way.

My suggestion for the Easter egg hunt to make it more different:

"Tap any number of creatures. Each player sacrifices that many lands and you draw that many cards."
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

I'm not 100% sure about the Legendary rule, and I don't think that the ability on Watch Wolves is particularly good, but I'm pretty sure it would work. First of all, it says tap and sacrifice, so when the second watch wolves comes into play, it would be the only one. Secondly, the reason it specifies that the second comes into play untapped is because the card is supposed to come into play tapped. It's an overly confusing card at the moment, I think, and not really worth the complication, but I do think it works.

Oh, and also, can Sourceries have Flash? Because if so I think Plot Twist should be a Sourcery. With the effect being continuous, it seems that would be more fitting.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

sliceofdog wrote:I'm not 100% sure about the Legendary rule, and I don't think that the ability on Watch Wolves is particularly good, but I'm pretty sure it would work. First of all, it says tap and sacrifice, so when the second watch wolves comes into play, it would be the only one. Secondly, the reason it specifies that the second comes into play untapped is because the card is supposed to come into play tapped. It's an overly confusing card at the moment, I think, and not really worth the complication, but I do think it works.

Oh, and also, can Sourceries have Flash? Because if so I think Plot Twist should be a Sourcery. With the effect being continuous, it seems that would be more fitting.
I didn't even notice the sacrifice effect. The legend rule would not get in the way in that situation. I think it should be shuffled into the library rather than sacrificed, though.

Sorceries can't have flash because that would make them instants. If it's going to be an instant, it would need to last until the end of turn. If it's going to be permanent, it should be a creature aura with flash.
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Sleet wrote:Only in Babylon Gardens do the wolves watch the ferrets. Also it isn't necessary to say that the new ones come into play untapped; when spells aren't cast they will always be untapped unless stated otherwise. And recently "comes into play" was changed into "enters the battlefield." EDIT: Apparently I noticed something that subtle but didn't realize that you made the card legendary. It shouldn't be legendary, since not only does it not refer to a specific person/animal, but when it summons its friend, they would both go to the graveyard because of the legend rule. EDIT NUMERO TWO: Making it indestructible will do nothing, since not only is the legend rule constantly applied, rather than just when a permanent comes into play, and the legend rule is not a destroy effect anyway. Konda wouldn't care about the legend rule if it worked any other way.

My suggestion for the Easter egg hunt to make it more different:

"Tap any number of creatures. Each player sacrifices that many lands and you draw that many cards."
I love that quote much more than mine, I'm going to update it later tonight. I'm also going to change a few things because Legendary cards are more specific than the one I'm using. As for the color on Annual Easter Egg hunt, even though destroy lands is a red effect, Armageddon is a white card with that exact same mana cost and effect. As for the suggestion for Annual Easter Egg Hunt, that seems too overpowered, but I'll try to find a good balance. Thanks for the comments, I'll work on some more cards.
Dusty wrote:I sketched the Pawprint in the editor, I think it exports as a bitmap and if so I think I can post it. Or I can do like Kyderra's and simplu cut the image out and remake the card xD

Easter Egg hunt is a very red effect, but since we already have a card that destroys all lands I'd suggest changing the white to Red and make it "destroy target land." Also for watch wolves I'd almost say give them flash so they can be played at any time. And maybe I'm missing something but the tap effect seems redundant, since its a legendary creature only one can be on the battlefield at a time per the "legend rule". Maybe give it flash and "when this creature enters the battlefield it gains reach and is indestructible until the end of turn."
I didn't see the card that destroys all the lands, which one is it? Also, for the paw, maybe you could save the *.mse-symbol file and email it as a zip file attachment.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you replace "criminal" with "rogue" for Watchwolves then it'll actually do something. Also, Pitfall is Terminate exactly.