Housepets! Animated! Central Development Thread

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Housepets! webshow, anyone?

Post by D-Rock »

No problem, man. Family comes first. None of us will fault your for helping to take care of them.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

MrNeonShot wrote:Hey guys.
I'm 17 now, and my dad's in his 50's. I don't have a job or a drivers license, and my dad has been working a full job and a part time job to cover 4 kids.
So, I need to start applying my time to start helping out with bills and stuff (as a personal choice). This means that I'm most likely not going to have time to work on this project. Sorry, I know I was the only animator who was going to help, but I just don't think I have the time to work on this anymore. Especially if I was going to be the only artist and animator.

I'll help in whatever way I can, but I'm just going to have to drop out of the project now.
I wish you luck on your future endeavors on this project and I hope you find a replacement animator soon.
That's fine. Sorry to see you go, but I understand.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
EDIT: Know what, I don't wanna see this project fall. If ya can't do it right now buddy, I'll fill in for ya! I can take a brake on some game projects for a bit and work on animating. You're making some sacrifices, it's only fair that I should too. Maybe one day you'll be able to start animating for the project again :D . So if it's okay with you and the others, I'd like to fill in for Neon, at least until he has the time to come back (if he can).
That would be great, chaoko! Animating won't start until recording is finshed and I've put together the sound, tho.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

That gives me some time to prepare and practice animating some more. It's been a while since I've made an animation, and maybe I can pick up some new techniques. :)

As a demonstration on what the animation style might be, I drew up a character sheet for Peanut:

ImageImageImageImage
Czukay

Post by Czukay »

Nice, Chaoko. Hope that everything continues to work out well, and best of luck to MrNeonShot for finding a job and getting his DL.
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Wow Chaoko! That's pretty good, like amazing!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, Chaoko!
Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

MrNeonShot wrote:Hey guys.
I'm 17 now, and my dad's in his 50's. I don't have a job or a drivers license, and my dad has been working a full job and a part time job to cover 4 kids.
So, I need to start applying my time to start helping out with bills and stuff (as a personal choice). This means that I'm most likely not going to have time to work on this project. Sorry, I know I was the only animator who was going to help, but I just don't think I have the time to work on this anymore. Especially if I was going to be the only artist and animator.

I'll help in whatever way I can, but I'm just going to have to drop out of the project now.
I wish you luck on your future endeavors on this project and I hope you find a replacement animator soon.
Sorry to see you go, but I understand. Family is important after all. I hope things work out for you and we can get you back on the show someday down the road.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:That gives me some time to prepare and practice animating some more. It's been a while since I've made an animation, and maybe I can pick up some new techniques. :)

As a demonstration on what the animation style might be, I drew up a character sheet for Peanut:

Bam! CHAOKO's here to save the day. That looks awesome and t's a great look for the show. Can't wait to see it in motion. :D
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

@everyone: Thanks for understanding! I'll try to help in any way I can with the time I have.

@HI: Well, Chaoko is the author of a superhero comic :D
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Great job on this sketches Chaoko! They look very nice!
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I refuse to allow this topic to stagnate! Very good for early concept sketches, Chaoko. :)
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Any news on the voice polls?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Douglas Collier wrote:Any news on the voice polls?
I'm leaving submissions open while the first arc is being recorded. It will probably remain this way for a week or 2.
Hello, low order beings!

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh we're in the recording phase? Sweet! Glad things are coming along! :D
ImageImageImageImage
Czukay

Post by Czukay »

Oooh, I can't wait til The Game... Ooooh, I just lost, but anyway, I'll get some lines!
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Czukay wrote:Oooh, I can't wait til The Game... Ooooh, I just lost
How do you think I'm gonna feel? I'll have to re-listen to you guys saying it over and over! CONSTANTLY loosing the game. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Though seriously, you'd think that I would have submitted an audition by now...

As much as I would like to at least try, I can't bring myself to do it.

Let's see if I can force it, though.
Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

Speaking of the game (and awkward transitions), to prove I'm still alive and to post something to this thread.

Here's the first two strips of...HP! ARC 2: THE GAME

In script format of course.
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Now we just need some Mario Kart Wii sound effects...
and BIRDS.
ImageImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Mario Kart Wii sounds effects would definitely make the show 20 times more better. Lets shove it in!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

First off, the constant interruptions were pretty funny!

Second, see if this has the game sounds you need.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

So I did that one thing again where I draw a character with mouth movements:
So after I drew Peanut's reference sheet, I didn't think I'd need to draw one for Grape. When I finally decided to draw it last night, I was so thankful that I did because I realized that I've NEVER drawn Grape before. Like, I drew Shadow Grape but that doesn't really count as "Grape". I had to change a lot of things in the middle of drawing this because I realized that I was doing it wrong. I didn't notice how drastically different the feline character anatomy was in Housepets! (mainly in their face and muzzle).
Anyway, it wasn't as hard as I once thought it would be once I got the gist of it. I was afraid that having her be physically mistakable for a guy while still keeping a female-esque figure would be hard due to how I normally draw, but it came out petty neutral in the end.

I don't think I need to draw any more reference sheets like these for the characters at the moment. Peanut and Grape are pretty good examples of all the character's anatomies, namely for the dogs and cats. Even in this, Peanut and Grape's mouth movements didn't differ TOO much, so really all I probably need to do is draw different characters in different poses. I may still ink and color these though, it's important to keep a good palette and pen size in mind.
ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, Chaoko!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Great jobs on the pictures Chaoko! The images of Grape really came out well and I love how you posed the mouths!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, I'd say you captured her androgyny rather well.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:So I did that one thing again where I draw a character with mouth movements:
So after I drew Peanut's reference sheet, I didn't think I'd need to draw one for Grape. When I finally decided to draw it last night, I was so thankful that I did because I realized that I've NEVER drawn Grape before. Like, I drew Shadow Grape but that doesn't really count as "Grape". I had to change a lot of things in the middle of drawing this because I realized that I was doing it wrong. I didn't notice how drastically different the feline character anatomy was in Housepets! (mainly in their face and muzzle).
Anyway, it wasn't as hard as I once thought it would be once I got the gist of it. I was afraid that having her be physically mistakable for a guy while still keeping a female-esque figure would be hard due to how I normally draw, but it came out petty neutral in the end.

I don't think I need to draw any more reference sheets like these for the characters at the moment. Peanut and Grape are pretty good examples of all the character's anatomies, namely for the dogs and cats. Even in this, Peanut and Grape's mouth movements didn't differ TOO much, so really all I probably need to do is draw different characters in different poses. I may still ink and color these though, it's important to keep a good palette and pen size in mind.
Based on that reasoning, I think Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich will probably be difficult when the time comes.
Hello, low order beings!

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I've drawn and animated Mr.Sandwich before, though it certainly wasn't easy drawing a human character in the Housepets! style. Plus I have to figure out how to only show part of their face so that will be fun. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We could put their faces in. We did get to see their faces just that once.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I've drawn and animated Mr.Sandwich before, though it certainly wasn't easy drawing a human character in the Housepets! style. Plus I have to figure out how to only show part of their face so that will be fun. :lol:
Draw the whole scene and crop it in post?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Buster has a good point. Only possible issue I can foresee are the strips where their faces are hidden behind text bubbles. That should be an interesting workaround.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Buster has a good point. Only possible issue I can foresee are the strips where their faces are hidden behind text bubbles. That should be an interesting workaround.
Maybe they could just be given odd shadows over their faces, like in a sinister shadow? I know it would be weird, but it might be our only option.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Or convenient camera angles. Maybe in the Sinister Shadow arc, in scenes where we could see their faces in shadow, instead make the vantage point from outside the truck, from the front, at an angle that the roof obscures their face.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:We could put their faces in. We did get to see their faces just that once.
Buster wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I've drawn and animated Mr.Sandwich before, though it certainly wasn't easy drawing a human character in the Housepets! style. Plus I have to figure out how to only show part of their face so that will be fun. :lol:
Draw the whole scene and crop it in post?
D-Rock wrote:Buster has a good point. Only possible issue I can foresee are the strips where their faces are hidden behind text bubbles. That should be an interesting workaround.
That's true Amazee, though I was trying to avoid that to keep the consistency/running gag of the comic. However if it's too much of a hassle I may consider doing that (and probably will honestly).

Also a good idea Buster. By drawing the whole thing I can decide how and where to position the characters and then decide if hiding their face is a good idea or not.

And I'll just have to get creative with those scenes by placing things so they obscure their face or adjust the camera angles.

By the way, when and if we ever get around to where Karishad is introduced, how are we gonna go about his voice? Are we gonna have the real life Karishad voice him or... :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

If it's possible, I'd say keep their faces obscured like they were in the comics. It was really significant when we finally saw a face in the form of Joel.

You know, that kept popping up in my head since the casting call was made. It would probably be better for Karishad to voice his own character, IF he wants to. I'm sure this is another moment where we could simply ask him.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Another possibility is just to not show Mr. or Mrs. Sandwichs' faces at all. In the new series of Peter Rabbit the only time you ever see Mr. MacGregor's face is in a crudely drawn picture by Cottontail. Aside from that the camera just shows from his neck and below. So that could also work.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

On the matter of Karishad's voice, yeah, I would say get the real one if he wants to. If he doesn't, or is busy, maybe we could hold auditions then let Karishad himself choose which one.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind getting him to voice his character. It would be great exposure for him and I would just LOVE to hear how he sounds in real life.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'd be fine with asking Kari to try to play himself. but remember that despite what he may want, he is not in fact an anthropomorphic fox and his voice may not match the character design at all.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...what would an anthropomorphic fox sound like?

One thing I'm liking about this project is the fact that it'll give voices to everyone. Only male voices in my head for the pets is some variant of Sean Astin or Haley Joel Osment.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

speaking of voices, it would be hilarious if we somehow scrounged together enough to hire Jon St. John (Duke Nukem's voice actor) for Bill Lindberg.

How much do you think the dozen or so lines of dialogue he has would cost?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:speaking of voices, it would be hilarious if we somehow scrounged together enough to hire Jon St. John (Duke Nukem's voice actor) for Bill Lindberg.

How much do you think the dozen or so lines of dialogue he has would cost?
Well, except there's the fact that Rick says he sounds like Patrick Warbuton.