Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Everyth

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Eve

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Last two times I tried to join up on a different board and a different chat, I was made to feel like one.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

It's ok being an outsider is like underground or whatever.....
Dissension wrote:That section's historically caused a lot of unnecessary drama. Before the turn of the decade, some mods lobbied Rick to shut it down but Buck promised to fix things.
One time it got so bad they said seth could be a mod. Like who does he know here?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Diss i wanna know more about the dramas! Please tell me! If you can't say anything here, PM please.
It was mostly just people pushing the ratings. That's all but gone now though.
Sleet wrote:It also kinda developed its own "culture" and I worry I'd be kinda like an outsider.
Nah, you wouldn't! Not these days, at least. I guess there is something of a hierarchy simply due to the nature of RPs as they favour more active posters and each RP is directed by one or two people. That said though, they're easy to get into and lots of fun if you're willing and able to put in the effort.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Last two times I tried to join up on a different board and a different chat, I was made to feel like one.
If that ever happens here then please tell a mod straight away and we'll put a stop to it immediately. And if it's a mod causing issues then the globals will fix it and if it's a global then Diss and Rick will kick that person in the pants too. We don't tolerate hazing, harassment or hating here.
Seth wrote:One time it got so bad they said seth could be a mod. Like who does he know here?
Heh. Well, I'm a mod now. What does that tell you? :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Seth wrote:One time it got so bad they said seth could be a mod. Like who does he know here?
Standards have either gotten stricter, looser, or stayed the same.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Seth wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:
Standards have either gotten stricter, looser, or stayed the same.
Either it rains or not. xD
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That reminds me of a shirt my friend got around election time:

"VOTE OR DON'T"
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can tell who former mods are because for the most part, they are the only ones that have titles under their names.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that valerio, Welshy, Keeshah, xhunterko, Roarin, Legotron123, Seth, Karishad Rockstar Raccoon, Captain Pea, 44R0NM10, Tha Housefox, Dylan and Buckdida were mods at some point.

I have no idea what is up with the ☆ rankings though.

Hukley, Stu, CHAOKO and Kouri are banner artists.

Karishad never logs into that account so I guess you could say he's a former mod also.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, "Game Master" titles are for GMs in the RP section. They don't have to do with modship. And not every former mod wanted a title, so some are more well hidden than others ;)
The ☆'s are for forumites who support Rick on his Patreon.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Former staff members include (in order of promotion) Buckdida (global), Ebly (global), Dylan (global), ctcmjh (Roleplaying & Fanfiction [pre-split]), kyderra (The Comic, Fan Projects), Tha Housefox (Roleplaying), CaptainPea (Not the Comic), 44R0NM10 (Roleplaying), RockstarRaccoon (Roleplaying), D-Singer (Roleplaying), and Seth (Roleplaying).

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So what you're saying in the rp board is the problem child :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Obbl wrote:Well, "Game Master" titles are for GMs in the RP section. They don't have to do with modship.
Exactly. The GMs are the people who run the individual RPs. They have no moderator authority or permissions but they do a huge amount of work to keep the roleplaying section running so they have a special rank to thank them for that. :)
Obbl wrote:And not every former mod wanted a title, so some are more well hidden than others ;)
The ☆'s are for forumites who support Rick on his Patreon.
Quite right, quite right.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Karishad never logs into that account so I guess you could say he's a former mod also.
Well, no. Karishad was never a moderator. He's always held administrator status. You're right that he rarely logs on though. He acts more in an advisory capacity behind the scenes.
Seth wrote:So what you're saying in the rp board is the problem child :P
Hmm... More like the unruly dog that just needed the right coercion to behave. :P Once we got some firm leadership things got cleaned up though. Not to say any of the former mods did anything wrong. They're all great people and for the most part they did great jobs. They just had different styles of leadership, and besides that the entire forums was very different in those days.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Karishad never logs into that account so I guess you could say he's a former mod also.
Well, no. Karishad was never a moderator. He's always held administrator status. You're right that he rarely logs on though. He acts more in an advisory capacity behind the scenes.
Karishad was originally going to be the forum moderator, but technical and health issues precluded it. He's got special status for a variety of reasons, but he's administrator 'cause something came up that needed an admin to deal with when I was away. The situation was easily resolved, but isn't something we'll discuss.
Hlaoroo wrote:Hmm... More like the unruly dog that just needed the right coercion to behave. :P Once we got some firm leadership things got cleaned up though. Not to say any of the former mods did anything wrong. They're all great people and for the most part they did great jobs. They just had different styles of leadership, and besides that the entire forums was very different in those days.
Well, six of the former moderators were from Roleplaying or Roleplaying and Fanfiction and two of the ex-global moderators were heavily involved in that set of forums. I wouldn't say it's a result of lacking firm leadership - all of the former moderators were great folks who weren't afraid to act when necessary. Historically, the users of that section have been more likely to push ratings and rules than those who primarily frequent other sections. However, none of the moderators left because they couldn't handle the position. Most became active in offline activities that required sacrificing time here. A few had personality conflicts with users or other staff members. One or two, unfortunately, became inactive and were replaced. (In one instance, a moderator hadn't logged on for a period of one year or posted in excess of two.)

Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I think Diss really would have fit in at BLFC this year - the theme is Compliance.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So most of my keyboard short-circuited so now I have to figure out a way to get used to using Windows again. Especially since its Windows 8.1. So I might be a bit clumsy.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Why does everyone hate on Windows 8 so much? I'll admit I've never used it, but it seems to be the tile interface that most people have a problem with. Not like it's Vista which had (or maybe still has) actual problems.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Douglas Collier

The interface is hard to get used to. Sure there's a regular version of the desktop, but it lacks an easy-to-use and familiar start menu. I had to download one. Also, when you've come expect a semi-professional desktop medium from Microsoft, it's a little disconcerting when they decide to emulate gaming or Apple mobile systems.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I don't like windows 8 because it seems like a rather useless update. All the surface features don't serve a purpose on something that isn't a touchscreen. Desktops are simple and clean, but 10 pages of tiles is apparently better. It just seems useless, like they could've continued to build Windows 7 into the next Windows XP or something, where it lasted for years and years.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Huh. I never knew Kari was intended to be a mod. There you go.

Seems I was mistaken about the RP section though. I got a few things Diss told me mixed up. The past RP mods are all great people and have always done their best and done a good job of modding. What happened was that due to various reasons, as Diss said, basically every mod on the forums became inactive so that the NTC section was the only one being moderated, and then, as the saying goes, when the cats are away the mice will play. With a change of staff and Diss' promotion we got a more active team of staff and the forums were brought back under control. Still, the mice were so bad in that time that, to continue the metaphor, Rick considered bringing in the exterminator. So, my sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended with my previous erroneous statement.
JeffCvt wrote:Why does everyone hate on Windows 8 so much? I'll admit I've never used it, but it seems to be the tile interface that most people have a problem with. Not like it's Vista which had (or maybe still has) actual problems.
Windows 8 does take some getting used to but once you've figured it out it's not so bad. There's definitely a few quirks but you can learn to live with them and none of them are actual problems like in Vista. They're just different ways of doing things. I think it's definitely better on a tablet than it is on a PC but I have a touch-screen laptop so I kind of have the best of both worlds. I do prefer the old style start menu from the older Windowses but I haven't installed it on my computer. I didn't even know that was possible.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Still getting used to it. It is annoying when I accidentally swipe the screen and bring a menu up. Plus I actually have to right-click on the track pad, where as on my Mac, all I had to do was what hold down the control button.

I also haven't used Windows on a laptop in a REAL long time. :/
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Windows 8 tries way to hard to make your experience like their tablet version. The desktop is an app (which makes a lot of computer sense actually, so that's fine), but then they want all the other programs you use to be apps instead of desktop run programs and heavily optimize the functionality and layout with that in mind. Now, I want to run the computer as if it is a desktop, meaning the only "app" I run is the desktop app and every other program is run as a desktop program, but Windows is not optimized to do it like that. However, not being on a tablet, running my desktop programs as apps feels more unwieldy. For example I am used to being able to see all my currently running programs on the bottom toolbar, but with apps it is set up differently and, given I'm not using a tablet, unintuitively. The way to circumvent all the app nonsense is to download the "desktop" version of my programs. However, Windows 8 is not optimized for those, so once downloaded the arrangement of my desktop programs on the app page is hard to navigate and full of bizarre extra cruft (like documentation and licenses), unless I were to pin them to the main "start" app page where I can arrange them as I like. But why would I want to do that for every program I instal?
I think the big issue is just all the little hoops you as the user feel you have to jump through just to use your computer as a desktop. It probably could have been really good if they had made some modifications to make a desktop version of Windows 8 that felt like the standard desktop computer, but they really felt like Windows 8 should run exactly the same on all devices so that people could easily move from device to device with no adjustments. It just doesn't work quite as well on a desktop or laptop.

Another interesting note. I like to set my keyboard to Japanese and turn off the English keyboard because Japanese has Latin letters, Hiragana input, and Katakana input, and while I know the shortcuts for navigating between those three, I don't know a handy shortcut for switching keyboard language outright. Interestingly, on Windows 8, you cannot simply set your main keyboard to a different language. Oh, no. You must set your language preferences. Thus my Windows 8 is set for Japanese language, and all the apps that come standard with Windows 8 are in Japanese (fortunately I do not use these). It also means that the signup page for my Microsoft account (another "feature" I'm not so pleased I was forced to make for one particular program) was all in Japanese. ...I'm only so fluent in Japanese... Had to look up the "legalese" type words :lol:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

If you type what you're looking for on the start screen, it searches. I've never had a problem navigating Windows 8 or 8.1.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Thank you, Diss
That is the single most important feature I have been made aware of :D
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Obbl wrote: It also means that the signup page for my Microsoft account (another "feature" I'm not so pleased I was forced to make for one particular program) was all in Japanese.
That's something I loathe about Windows 8.1. It makes you use your Microsoft/hotmail/windows live email address as your computer username and your email password as your computer password and you can't set it to do otherwise.
Dissension wrote:If you type what you're looking for on the start screen, it searches. I've never had a problem navigating Windows 8 or 8.1.
That's true but you could do that with the start menu in every other version of windows too and I actually find that that search function is really laggy on my version of Windows 8.1. Plus it actually won't find a program unless it's pinned to the start menu. Any other file, yes, sure, but not programs. It's stupid.

The Win 8 start menu is badly organised too. In previous versions things were just in alphabetical order but in Win 8 they're sorted into type of app and then alphabetical order and then programs in alphabetical order. So you have to work out whether the thing you want to use is designated as an app or a program and then make sure it hasn't been filed under the type of program instead of just in order. That's why the search function is so handy.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I will try to deal with it. At least I have a computer so that is good. I'm getting it fixed on Thursday.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Douglas Collier wrote:The interface is hard to get used to. Sure there's a regular version of the desktop, but it lacks an easy-to-use and familiar start menu. I had to download one. Also, when you've come expect a semi-professional desktop medium from Microsoft, it's a little disconcerting when they decide to emulate gaming or Apple mobile systems.
It was actually based loosely on XBOX's OS.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Still getting used to it. It is annoying when I accidentally swipe the screen and bring a menu up. Plus I actually have to right-click on the track pad, where as on my Mac, all I had to do was what hold down the control button.

I also haven't used Windows on a laptop in a REAL long time. :/
You can also tap with two fingers.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So, being home for the summer I've used windows 8 some because my parents desktop computer has it and I think I can see what it's going for but as of right now it just seems needlessly complicated. Maybe in a while I'll be used to it and it'll be more convenient but I don't know if it's user friendly enough for people to put in the effort to get over the initial frustration and get used to it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My mom got a laptop with Windows 8 and it's super frustrating to help her operate her computer when I don't even think it makes sense. <.<

Also, Firefox had been dragging so much for me, that I have, regrettably, tried Chrome out. I don't think I like it as much, but at least my computer can run it effectively...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

Sleet wrote:My mom got a laptop with Windows 8 and it's super frustrating to help her operate her computer when I don't even think it makes sense. <.<

Also, Firefox had been dragging so much for me, that I have, regrettably, tried Chrome out. I don't think I like it as much, but at least my computer can run it effectively...
if you ever need help with Windows 8, you can talk to me. i've been using it and 8.1 for years.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:Also, Firefox had been dragging so much for me, that I have, regrettably, tried Chrome out. I don't think I like it as much, but at least my computer can run it effectively...
my dad, brother, and I all had the same problem sometime in Winter. we've all been using Chrome since.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I only use Firefox 30% of the time. I actually like how Safari works.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote: tried Chrome out.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: we've all been using Chrome since.
Being the local Chrome-maniac, I approve of this. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Chrome is kind of the best. Even if it is skynet.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Douglas Collier

Meh, Chrome takes too long to load for me. Even IE is faster. :roll:
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Always used Firefox in years on my PC, and have never got bad troubles except very few crashes. Chrome is crashing too much times on my brother's PC, instead.
Douglas Collier wrote:Meh, Chrome takes too long to load for me. Even IE is faster. :roll:
The same is with me on my brother's PC. Firefox's loading time is between them, and there are plugins in it. Chrome and Firefox tend to occupy lot of RAM memory.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

On my other computer however, I used Internet Explorer so I technically only use Firefox as a backup so I really just stick to IE and Safari. If I had to choose between them I would choose Safari.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Douglas Collier wrote:Meh, Chrome takes too long to load for me. Even IE is faster. :roll:
Not safer though. At least, not older versions of it. I can't speak for the past 2 years.
It was actually IE that let a bunch of stuff on my computer back when it had Windows. I was literally running quick scans of my computer every week and would find like, a dozen issues every time. After I switched to Chrome, I went an entire month without running any scans then ran a FULL scan (difference being a quick scan was 10 minuets and full was an hour) and found nothing. I have no doubt that whatever crippled my computer's ability to use an antivirus was let on when I was using IE.

(For those who don't know, I use Ubuntu [Linux]. This is because my copy of Windows got a virus that prevented me not from using an antivirus, but from downloading one. This became a problem when Norton went through a MAJOR update that made it more or less re-install itself, and of course it was unable to install. I'm sure I could have fixed it, but I just used it as an excuse to buy a new hard drive and use Linux.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Douglas Collier

Diss's name is showing up orange for me. Has he been promoted to demigod? :shock:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Should be goldish more than orange. I couldn't remember what my unique rank color was, it was either this or electric blue.

I can't really be promoted any higher than what I currently am.

Civilization

Post by Civilization »

What made you want to change the color?
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Douglas Collier

Ok, gold. Maybe orangish gold.