A New Era

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Civilization

A New Era

Post by Civilization »

Just because I wanted to try my hand at writing...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chapter 1: A New Dawn

Bandit was playing with his owner in the backyard. Outlaw was running along side him, their owner chasing them around. "Your not going to get us, we're Bandit and Outlaw" Bandit felt his owner's hands grab him, "Got you." "Let's play again." He heard Outlaw say. Bandit turned and realized he was alone. Everything seemed different and he was scared. Bandit woke up hyperventilating. Outlaw was sitting next to him already awake, "Bad dream." He asked Bandit, "Me too." "It's been two years..." Bandit trailed off remembering the plague that wiped humanity off the face of the Earth. They watched the sun rise through the window of what used to be someone else's home.

"We better go see if we can find some more food." Outlaw said while getting up, "Let's go see what they have at the store." "You think we'll find anything." Bandit asked as they packed their blankets into the duffel bag they had.

They walked down the deserted street and by all the empty homes. "How many people do you think lived here before this mess." Outlaw asked looking around. "Is that really all you can talk about now." Bandit shot back at him. Outlaw and Bandit walked quietly for a few more seconds, "Sorry." They both said to each other. Bandit checked the bag for food, and again saw that there was none. The arrived at the local supermarket a few minutes later, "Food, finally." Outlaw let out as they both walked inside.

Right in front of them was an asleep wolf...
Butch watched the sun rise over the horizon, "Ok, we're burning sunlight now, let's get these houses gutted and get a move on. I don't like being out here longer than we have to be." He looked at his team; two dogs, a cat, a raccoon, and himself the bear. "You know what to do, let's start at this end and work our way down."

They walked up to the first house, Butch removed the door fairly easily allowing his team to get into the house. "Otis and I got the walls!" Rex called out and the two dogs began to cut away at the drywall. "I guess I'll gather the supplies." Cit said and the cat went into the kitchen. "That leaves me to the windows." Coon said and climbed into a windowsill and began to cut away the trim. Butch smiled and began to remove furniture from the house into the yard.

"Looks like we got a visitor." Coon called out, Butch made his way outside to greet this animal. "I'll handle it." Butch said as he walked outside to see a fox standing there. The fox was looking around, "Hey, do you have..." The fox looked at Butch, "Whoa'k I'll be going now." Butch felt bad for the fox, "I'm not going to hurt you." The fox just looked at him. "What do you want." "Food." The fox replied. "We might have some food to spare, come with me." Butch turned around and headed inside, the fox followed continuing to look around.

Otis and Rex were busy cutting out sections of wall and removing the wiring in the wall. Butch handed the fox some granola bars, "Why do this." The fox said as he ate the food. "Well someone has to keep Sanctuary supplied, it is our home." Butch explained as the fox stared at him, "You could join us, all you have to do is help us." The fox looked at the food, then at him. "Ok." The fox finally said.

"Excellent, we'll head there tonight..."
________________________________________________________________________________
The Chinook bounced around a little as it flew through the air. "It's been two years and you still can't fly this thing." Old Yeller said to Alpha, "I'm a dog, we don't fly remember." Alpha said back smiling. "Cujo, how you guys holding up back there?" Old Yeller asked over their radio, "All my military training and Alpha flying scares me like a pup." Cujo joked.

Cujo sat down next to Lassie, "So how you doing?" "Ok, I guess." Lassie replied. "What about Rune?" Cujo asked nodding to the cat near the end of the helicopter. "How should any of us know, he'll never open up, especially since we're all German shepards." "You'll open him up, it's what you do, anyway, where we heading Alpha?" Cujo asked over the radio.

"Some place called Sanctuary..."
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
The-J-Man

Re: A New Era

Post by The-J-Man »

Not bad. But the dialogue could be spaced out so that we know who's talking...just in my opinion
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I agree with J, but everything else seems to be running smoothly.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really do enjoy how this has come out! Its very nice!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Ah yeah! You got it posted, awesome!

Sorry, I should have told you earlier Civil, but yeah, like the others you should space out the dialogue, making it easier to follow who's talking. Sorry, I was too amazed by the overall premise to notice the structure, sorry again, :?
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Glad people actually like this. This is how I write, if it is a problem that effects how enjoyable this story is then I'll go through and give each character a dialogue color.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chapter 2: Some New Friends

Omega did not hear the two ferrets come in, he was to busy sleeping off the party he threw himself last night. He awoke to the sound of shuffling and hushed voices. He rolled over on his back and tried to get back to sleep, except he was too thirsty to try and sleep. "Uh..." He let out.

He felt something climb up onto his chest, that something then lightly tapped the side of his snout. He put his paws to his face and rubbed his eyes, "Lemme alone." He told whatever the something was. He was too tired to make out the sounds the something was saying to the other something, he definitely was not going to get back to sleep now. Next thing he knew he was splashed in the face with water, "Okay, I'm up!" He said and quickly stood up, he felt the something fall off his chest.

He wiped the water off his face and rubbed his eyes some more. When he was sure that he was fully awake he looked down to see a ferret on the floor in front of him and one to the side of him holding a bottle of water. He waited and watched the two ferrets look at each other and back at him. He looked at the water, "So... Can I have that?" He pointed at the water, which the ferret quickly gave him. He drank the rest of the water, "That's better." The ferrets where still quietly looking at him. "So, what do you want?" He asked trying to figure out why the ferrets were being quiet.

The ferrets looked at each other again, the one in front of him finally spoke up, "We're looking for a place called Sanctuary..."
Butch continued to remove what furniture there was in the house. Otis and Rex where still cutting out what wall they could and removing the wiring from the insides. Cit finished her job and was organizing the food and medicine that she found in the house before setting out to the second house. Coon also finished her job and was putting all the glass panels out in the yard. The fox was sitting with Cit and helping her with organizing stuff.

"This is what you guys do?" The fox asked Cit, "Yes, we all have jobs to do to keep Sanctuary running." Cit explained. Coon walked in and overheard the conversation, "This is our job, we do it to stay apart of Sanctuary." The fox looked over to Coon, "You mean you can't just live there." Coon laughed and carried out more window panels outside. "We all have to do our part to make sure Sanctuary stays running smoothly." Cit continued to explain to the fox, "We just happen to collect food, medicine, and general stuff to bring back to Sanctuary." The fox looked dumbfounded at Cit, "Wait, how many animals are at this Sanctuary place?" The fox asked. Coon walked back in, "A lot." Both Cit and Coon said at the same time.

Butch walked back in, "Looks like we are mostly finished in this house, Cit, how much food did we get." "About a bag full, with a little bit of medicine too." Cit told Butch, Coon sat by the door, "You think this will ever become pointless, Sanctuary already has plenty of supplies." Butch looked at Coon, "This will never be pointless because there will always be new animals coming here looking for a home." Coon looked down a little ashamed of what she said. The fox finally spoke up again, "So how does one join Sanctuary?" Butch turned to the fox, "You'll be asked for your name and a few general questions, then you will be assigned a job and shown the home in which you'll live, and finally the rules and what is expected of you will be explained." "What is your name anyways?" Cit asked the fox. The fox went into deep thought, "I don't know, everyone called me Fox, so I guess my name is Fox."

Butch looked at his team, "Okay, looks like we'll stop here and show Fox Sanctuary."
"So how did you learn to fly this Chinook?" Older Yeller asked Alpha. "I read some of the how to books back on the base, why, how did you learn?" Alpha asked back. "Uh, by watching you." They both got quiet realizing that neither of them knew what they were doing. "So, where is this Sanctuary place?" Old Yeller finally broke the silence. "Somewhere in this area." Alpha turned on the Chinook's radio, they listened to some broken radio chatter between Sanctuary and some other place.

Alpha picked up the radio, "Sanctuary, come in Sanctuary." He said trying to sound as formal as possible. "This is Sanctuary, who is this?" A female voice answered. "Military K-9 Unit Books, we are in need of a place to land, and your location." Alpha explained to the voice on the radio. The radio cut to static, "Maybe you scared them off, nice job." Old Yeller joked. Alpha frowned at him and watched the sun cross the sky.

The radio crackled back to life a few minutes later, "This is Military K-9 Unit Sanctuary, what on Earth are you flying, and secondly no." Alpha picked up the radio, "A Chinook, and why?" There was more radio silence, "Do you have a map." The radio voice asked. "Yes." Alpha replied. Old Yeller pulled out a map of the city. "Okay, find the High School near you, the football field should be big enough, I'll come to you." "Okay, Books out." Alpha replied and turned off the radio, "So, can we even land this thing." Old Yeller asked while looking at the map and back out the window. "No, but let's try and crash as softly as possible." Alpha joked, now Old Yeller was frowning at him.

Cujo poked his head into the cockpit, "So are we there yet..."
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Nice chapter! When reading the first one I had a slight issue with differentiating the characters, but with chapter 2 I think I got all them down! I look forward to more, :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think this chapter is better than the previous one! Good job writing it!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Well, I'm surprised people are reading this...
Chapter 3: Reunions

Bandit and Outlaw were walking behind Omega as he lead them down the street. They had cleared the store of still good food and water before heading out to Sanctuary. "So why exactly do you two want to go to Sanctuary?" Omega asked the two ferrets. "Because that's where civilization is." Bandit told the wolf. "But you didn't know where it was, it's dangerous out here, so why chance the trip." Omega wanted to know. "What else could we do, lose hope." Outlaw told him this time. Omega just shrugged at the statement, "Well, what were you doing?" Outlaw asked the wolf. Omega shifted the duffel bag he was holding for the ferrets. "Surviving."

Bandit was watching the sun slowly begin to set on the horizon, "It'll be night soon." Bandit said, "So." Omega replied. "So we've been walking all day, where is this Sanctuary place?" Outlaw asked the wolf. "It's through the," Omega pointed at all the houses, "Suburbs, is it called that?" "I guess." Bandit said, "So how did you find Sanctuary." Outlaw asked the wolf. "Stumbled across it while... Surviving, and I didn't want to be apart of it." "Why?" both ferrets asked at the same time. "I don't know, it just wasn't for me." Omega replied.

As they kept walking the houses in the neighborhoods were starting to appear dismantled and some were just foundations in the ground. "Wow." Bandit let out. They saw a wall down the street, "There is Sanctuary." Omega told the ferrets. As the approached the gate, a raccoon on the wall cried out, "Stop where you are." They all stopped, Bandit and Outlaw in complete aw of the place already; Omega, not so much. Two dogs opened the gate and stepped out, one stood by the gate entrance while the other approached them.

"Welcome to Sanctuary..."
Butch looked at his team, "Okay, we've finished the first two houses and looks like we have enough supplies to start heading back, so let's go home." Each member of the team picked up a bag of food or medicine they had salvaged. Cit and Coon were walking next to Fox, "So you ready to see Sanctuary?" Cit asked Fox. "I don't know, I guess I am." Coon laughed, "You're going to love it there, well, when you're there." Fox was a little reassured by the statement Coon made.

As they walked a long Fox noticed the houses started to appear gutted out or just plain gone. "How long have you guys been working at this." Fox said gesturing to all the gutted houses around them. "About a year and a half, maybe longer." Otis spoke up in front of them. "Wow, how big is this Sanctuary?" Fox asked in aw. "About the size of a small town." Otis answered.

As they continued walking the walls of Sanctuary stood out in a clearing surrounded by a sea of houses. "Wow." Fox was still in aw. "Welcome to Sanctuary." Butch said to Fox. As they approached a dog on the wall waved, Butch waved back. A cat and weasel opened this gate. "Welcome back." The weasel told the group, "Hold on there," The cat said putting a paw on Fox's chest to stop him.

"Let's get you sorted out first..."
The chinook was in the middle of the High School's football field, landing skid marked most of the field. The sun was setting and the group was waiting for someone from Sanctuary to arrive. Alpha and Old Yeller were in the cockpit radioing Sanctuary and looking at their map while Cujo kept watch outside. Lassie and Rune were in the back of the chinook sitting in a rather uncomfortable silence. Off in the distance the sound of a big truck was getting closer.

Alpha and Old Yeller exited the cockpit, "They'll be here soon." Alpha announced. Old Yeller went outside to tell Cujo the news. "Is this really the best thing for us to do?" Lassie asked Alpha. "Of course it is, not like we were doing much before anyway." "Well, what do you think Rune?" Lassie asked. Rune just shrugged, Lassie looked at Alpha, he just shrugged too. Cujo and Old Yeller came in a few seconds later, "There here." Old Yeller told them.

They all walked outside and stood as a group, watching as a military M939 truck pulled up next to the chinook. A golden retriever got out of the driver side and walked up to them. "Military K-9 Unit Sanctuary team leader, just call me Charlie." Charlie held out his paw. "Military K-9 Unit Books, Alpha." Alpha shook Charlie's paw. Charlie looked at the chinook, "You really flew that." "Yes." Alpha replied to Charlie. "Wow." "Well, will you take us to Sanctuary now that you know we are the real deal." Alpha asked the aw struck Charlie. Charlie looked at all of the group, and at Rune with some concern. "Are they all apart of your unit." "Yes, every one of them." Alpha told Charlie. "Okay, you ride up front, your team rides in the back." Charlie told them all and got back into the truck.

Charlie started the truck once he knew everyone was in. Alpha looked at the makeshift setup of the driver seat, Charlie had to sit on some books to see over the wheel and had to have a metal beam attached to the gas and brake pedal to drive. "Well, we have some time, tell me about you and your team." "Okay." Alpha said and began to describe who they were and what they've been doing. As they drove houses began to look more and more deconstructed and even gone. The walls of Sanctuary appeared in the clearing, "Wow." Alpha let out.

"Sanctuary, your new home, you and your team will be a welcomed addition..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Yay, new chapter!

Correct me if wrong, but Alpha and Charlie are named after military code right?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Is this why you're called Civilization? Cause if yes then you are clever!
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that Alpha is a military code, but what does Charlie mean?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I know that Alpha is a military code, but what does Charlie mean?
I don't know that much, but I think people went with codenames depending on their names, something like that. Like if your firstname began with A and your last name began with a C you would be "Alpha Charlie", unless I'm mistaken.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Nato's Phonetic Alphabet
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Obbl wrote:Nato's Phonetic Alphabet
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu
So if Fox was ever in the army his name would be Foxtrot Lima? That's funny.
Also, Peanut would be Papa Sierra.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

No, it's just how you say the letters of the alphabet so that they are easily distinguishable. So when you have to spell something out, like the grid number on a map or a license plate number or even someone's name, you can use these words and it won't be confusing which letters you're saying (cause a lot of them sound reeeeally similar). ;)

Well, the story is intriguing so far. I want to know what happened and what's going on now. Do you mind constructive criticism? Or is this just something you want to get out there?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That alphabet thing is actually very confusing. I don't think I would be able to figure it out.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Go ahead and criticize all you want, I could always use some help making this more enjoyable...
Chapter 4: This Small World

Cleo made his way down the hallway looking at all the expensive shiny equipment lining the walls. He checked over them, nothing was different. Two years of being stuck here and all he could notice was how nothing changed. He checked the food supplies next, enough to last another year if he rationed. But what did he have to ration for, he could think of nothing. Cleo rechecked the equipment, still no changes. He finally decided to head over to the computer monitors and turned them on, "Control, you there." He asked.

Control was sitting in the control room with Mo. Control was looking at all the blank computer monitors in the room and then at the back refreshment table. Mo was looking at her, "What's on your mind mouse." "Nothing for now cat." He replied sarcastically. Control got up and grabbed another coffee from the refreshment table. "You really need to lay off that stuff." Mo told her as she sat down. "Why, what good will sleep do." "Well, it could..." Mo was interrupted by Cleo.

Control answered the 'call'. "Yes Cleo, we're here, what do you need?" Control asked. "Nothing, just need to hear a friendly voice." Cleo told them. "What, has space really gotten that boring after two years." Mo joked. "Ha Ha Mo, glad someone can keep a sense of humor after all this time." Cleo said smiling. "So, what are you doing." "Nothing." Control replied to Cleo. "Well, I guess I'll watch the sun set over the horizon before I go to bed." "Okay, good um... rest." Mo joked to Cleo.

After the computer was turned off Control looked at Mo, "I think there's a way to get him back on Earth..."
Virgil was sitting in the Utopia's bridge. Fala walked in, "Anything new to report." He asked Fala. "No, everything is running smoothly." She replied. Virgil got up out of his chair and looked out the window. Down on the deck of the cargo ship were the communal farms and gardens. Around the ship was the docks in which they where located. "Any word from Sanctuary?" He asked Fala while still looking out the window.

"Usual new animal arrival stuff, one of the groups is apart of the military and they have a Chinook now." Fala told him. Virgil turned around, "Well don't they just get all the good stuff." Virgil dismissed Fala, he watched her leave. He turned back to the window and watched the moon rise over the horizon, he didn't feel tired at the moment so he went for a walk. He made sure he took his handheld radio in case anything happened. He walked down the hallways checking on the various animals living in the ship and checking on those still working the generators and maintenance.

He then made his way out onto the deck, checking on all the animals coming in after a long day's work. He looked over the Utopia and then starred out into the ocean. The Utopia was severely low on food and medicine, and he had to come up with a plan to fix that problem. His radio crackled to life, "Utopia, dock here, looks like we have more animals looking to join Utopia." "Well, let them aboard." He told the guard. He watched as a small group made their way onto the Utopia. He greeted the small group of three newcomers and his guard. More mouths to feed Virgil thought to himself.

"Welcome to Utopia..."
A few minutes after everyone's arrival to Sanctuary everyone was guided to the town hall. Baxter walked into the main all to see a fox, wolf, cat, two ferrets, and four dogs. "Okay, this will take awhile, but I'm going to have to interview each of you so we can put you in the most productive job." He looked at the fox, "You first, follow me." He lead the fox into the back room area of the town hall.

Bandit and Outlaw got busy introducing themselves to Alpha and his team. Omega went over and sat next to Rune, they sat in silence but neither one of them cared. Baxter was busy going through the interview with Fox. It was late at night when Baxter finished interviewing all the animals. He was going over them in his head in the back room. Fox seemed interested only in eating and food, but he surprising knew a lot about how to grow and identify food too. Bandit and Outlaw wanted to be apart of civilization, they seemed like they would be good at foraging. Alpha and his team all had military experience, and they had their own helicopter. Omega wasn't looking for anything nor did he really care about anything either, but he had the strength that would be needed. Rune didn't even speak to him, he couldn't even get a read on him, that kind of scared him but Alpha assured him that Rune was apart of his team and it would be best to keep it that way.

Baxter walked out into the main hall a few minutes later, everyone but Rune and Omega were talking to each other. "Okay, I'm going to tell you your jobs and then show you where you are going to be staying." Baxter called them each back into the into the back room and told them their jobs and what they were expected to do. Fox was going to work on the communal farms, the ferrets were going to help the foragers, Alpha and his team were going to be their own unit using that Chinook of theirs to go get harder to find supplies, and Omega was going to help with the construction and expansion of Sanctuary.

After doing that Baxter when back to the group, "Now it's time to show you where you'll be staying..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

New chapter, woot!

Getting really we to the characters now, despite the largish number.
Also, so Cleo is a spaceship? Interesting...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really great job on the story! I like this a lot!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Hope I can keep up this pace...
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chapter 5: New Beginnings

Control sat there looking at Mo, the time on the computer said that it was already early morning. "Are you serious, that plan would kill Cleo!" MO protested after hearing the plan. "It could work though." Control argued. "Is this really the best thing for him or is this what you want." Control just looked at Mo, "It's the best thing for the both of us." She finally replied. They both sat their quietly looking at each other. "Can we at least tell Cleo and see what he thinks?" Control asked defeated. "Sure, let's tell him."

Cleo made his way down the same old hallway, looking at the same equipment he did a few hours ago. He made his way to where the food was kept and grabbed one of those ready to eat meal things. As he ate he went back into the hallway to watch as nothing changed on the equipment monitoring devices. The computer came on, "Cleo, you there?" He heard Control's voice say. He made his way over to the computer, "Yes, I'm here." He told her. For the next few minutes Control told him her plan and Mo made sure to input his argument against doing it. He sat there, two years of being stuck in here and there was finally a way to get back to Earth. "So the plan is to take the station's space shuttle, somehow start it up, and crash land it somewhere on Earth." He asked them to make sure he wasn't hearing things. Control and Mo both looked at each other, "Yes." They both replied.

"Let's do it..."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fala walked into the bridge to find Virgil fast asleep in his chair. "You know, for an otter you sure do sleep like a dog." She said as she walked over and woke him up. Virgil looked up from his chair, "Yeah, and how do you sleep?" "Like how an otter should." She sarcastically replied, "Anyway, just came to wake you up so you could do your captain duties." Fala continued and then left.

Virgil got out of his chair to watch the sun rise, down on the deck there were animals working on the farms. He knew that the food they were growing would not be enough to keep them all fed. He left the bridge and began to check in on all the animals finishing the night shift and all the animals getting up to head off to do their duties. He checked in on the classroom, all the kits and cubs had to take classes on farming, construction, and survival skills. This is what he was working so hard to protect, he made his way to the supply rooms. The guard dog nodded and let him in, they had just enough to go till winter. He left and made his way to the radio room, "Anything?" "Nope, just Sanctuary." The rabbit on radio duty told him. He made his way down to the generator room and desaltification room. The head raccoon told him everything was great. This gave him an idea, he made is way to the deck. Fala was overseeing the farms, she turned to him, "What is it?" She asked as he approached.

"Fala, I need you to call together a ship meeting, tonight..."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Butch looked down at the two ferrets that were assigned to his group last night. "Okay, so you are apart of my team now." They were all walking down the road to the place they where yesterday. "I'm Butch, that's Otis, Rex, Coon, and Cit." He pointed to each of them as he said their names. "Well, I'm Bandit and that's Outlaw." Bandit told the group. Coon walked next to the ferrets, "Ironic eh, come to Sanctuary for a place to stay only to be sent out everyday to supply it." "Oh relax Coon, we still have a place to sleep every night and we get plenty of food." Cit scolded Coon.

They arrived at the neighborhood they where at yesterday. "Same jobs as yesterday, let's pick up where we left off." Butch told the group as they began to walk to the next house. "Bandit, Outlaw, you two just help Cit and Coon with their job." Butch added. Bandit joined Cit in gathering supplies while Outlaw helped Coon remove the windows. Otis and Rex continued their job of removing the drywall to get any wiring that could be salvaged.

By noon Bandit and Cit had finished gathering all the could be salvaged and bagged the food and medicine. They started to help Coon and Outlaw remove the windows. "You were a big help you two." Cit said to the ferrets. "Thanks." Bandit replied. "Yeah, at this rate we'll be done here and sent to another house." Coon said. Overhead the sound of a helicopter got louder as it passed by, "Wonder where they are heading." Outlaw said after the sound of the helicopter dissipated. They had finished gathering all the window panels into the yard, "Let's go see if Otis and Rex need help?" Cit told the ferrets, "What about Butch?" Outlaw asked. "Butch never needs help." Coon said as he walked by them into the house.

Old Yeller looked at Alpha, "So, where are we heading?" "The hospital..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The Hospitals always have the best supplies, I read it in a documentary, I think I was called DayZ.
So was Cleo sent into space before or after the humans died out?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This story is really starting to get interesting! Nice job!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Well, I can't post on the weekends, so enjoy...
Chapter 6: Challenges...

Cleo was suited up in his astronaut suit. He checked the oxygen supply, so far it looked like it would last. He made his way out of the space station, the space shuttle would be located a little ways from the station. "This is crazy, this is crazy." He kept repeating as he made his way along the hull of the station. Once he got as close as he could to the space shuttle he tied himself onto one of the handlebars on the side of the station. "This is crazy." Cleo told himself as he pushed off the hull of the station and slowly through the void of space. As he slowly kept drifting to the shuttle he untied himself from his safety harness, this was his one and only shot.

Control and Mo were sitting in dead silence waiting for Cleo to contact them. It had only been about five minutes since Cleo said he was going to attempt the plan and Control already drank two cups of coffee. Mo was pacing back and forth on the table in front of her. To them it seemed like an eternity has passed since this plan started. "I made it." Cleo told them over the radio, they both let out a sigh of relief. A few more seconds passed before Cleo came back on, "Um, I can get the shuttle started, but I'll have no control over how I land." Control ran out of the room and came back with some maps. "You think you can control what location you crash at?" Control asked Cleo. "Maybe, why?" Cleo asked back, "If your going to crash I want you to crash as close to us as possible." Control joked.

"Let's get this over with..." Cleo said and fired up the engines.
Virgil walked back and forth in front of his group. "Okay, winter is coming soon and we need to vote on the next course of action." He paused as the group went through a general quick conversation. "We have three options; we can stay, we can leave, or we can join Sanctuary" Virgil continued once they were done. The last option stirred up more conversations, "Would they accept us?" One of the animals in the group asked. "Yes, now I'm going to take a vote, please raise your hand to the option you want to take." Virgil said and told them the options again, he counted the votes up at the end of each option. The vote turned out the the majority of animals wanted to stay.

"Well, looks like we will be staying here another year." Virgil dismissed the group, he made his way back to the bridge. When Fala came in a few minutes later Virgil was in his chair with his face in his paws. He looked up at her, "Fala, good timing, can you go down to the radio room and let them know that I am coming." Fala nodded and left, Virgil made his way down to the deck and watched the moon rise. Fala came out a few minutes later, "They know you are coming." "Good, you are in charge while I'm gone." Virgil told her. Virgil made his way down to the docks to begin his journey to Sanctuary.

"I so hope this trade agreement works." Virgil said to himself...
Shepard and Soap where sitting in the hospital's mess hall. "So what do we have for food?" Soap asked looking at the pile sitting on the table in front of them. "How much can a skunk eat? Never mind." Shepard began to dig through the pile, "Some chips, peanuts, cookies." They both sat back and looked at the food, "This sucks." Soap finally let out after a few seconds. "Well, what can we do about it?" Shepard asked, Soap looked over at the two crossbows they had on the other table, "We could leave." Soap told the cat. "Where would we go?" "Well..." Soap was cut off by the sound of an approaching helicopter. They looked at each other, the sound came right over them, "ROOF!" They both shouted. They both grabbed a crossbow and headed for the roof.

"Let's hope this works better than last time." Alpha said as they prepared to land. "What, the landing or this hospital having supplies?" Old Yeller joked. The Chinook hit the landing pad hard, bounced up and landed again. Alpha turned the helicopter off, and then they both headed to the back of the helicopter. "You really got to work on your landings." Cujo said as soon as they were both out in the cargo area of the Chinook. "You want to try flying that piece of machinery." Alpha teased. They started walking to the doors when they busted opened. There was a skunk and a cat, and both of them were aiming crossbows at him and his team. Alpha's training kicked in and he charged the skunk. He grabbed the crossbow, forced it out of the skunks hand, and kicked him down. He pointed it at the cat, "Drop it." The cat complied.

Soap sprayed the dog as he was kicked over and hit the ground. The dog that kicked him dropped the crossbow and tried to hold his nose. "Oh man that stinks." The dog whined. "Well, why did you charge me!" Soap shot back, "You were pointing weapons at us." The dog said back, the newcomers were all trying to cover their noses. "Mistakes were made on both sides, let's just be calm and call it even." Shepard told all of them. "Sure, but who are you and what are you two doing here?" The lead dog asked. Soap got back up and dusted himself off. "I'm Soap, that's Shepard. We have nowhere else to go." "Oh, well, I'm Alpha, that's Old Yeller, Cujo, Lassie, and Rune."

Cujo looked at Alpha, "You really stink, argh." He looked at Shepard, "That smell doesn't bother you." Shepard looked at Cujo, "No, I can't smell, come on, let's get inside." "Maybe you should stay outside." Cujo joked to Alpha. "Deal with it." Alpha said and smiled at Cujo. "So what are you doing here?" Soap asked the group as they went downstairs. "Looking for supplies." Alpha told them. Soap noticed that the newcomers were having a hard time dealing with the smell, "I'm uh... Sorry I sprayed you." "It's not a problem." "Yes it is!" Cujo interrupted Alpha. "Cujo, I will rub this stink all over you." Cujo backed to the back of the group, "So, where you from?" Shepard asked.

"Sanctuary..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

So much suspense! Okay maybe not award winning suspense, but suspense nonetheless.

I notice a lot of people like saying "Sanctuary..."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe that is the secret password in the story.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 7: ...And Solutions

Cleo felt the shuttle continue to speed up as it passed through the layers of the atmosphere. He watched as fire started to engulf the front of the shuttle. "This is crazy!" He shouted to himself again. He tried to keep the shuttle steady but without any fuel it was proven difficult, and it had no way of slowing down. The most he could do was make the shuttle go parallel to the ground, and it wasn't helping much. He needed to see the ground so he pointed the nose down, as the shuttle sped up he aimed for the highway. "Come on, come on!" He didn't realize he was shouting at the controls, the shuttle slammed into the highway. Cleo was thrown into the control panel, then back again as the shuttle skid along the highway slamming into every car and truck on the highway. The shuttle barrel rolled and landed right side up after the long crash down the freeway. Cleo got up, his whole body was killing him, he took a few steps forward before blacking out and collapsing.

Control was driving as fast as the jeep could go. She had to sit as close to the steering wheel as possible while balancing a piece of metal on her foot to keep the jeep going. She was pressing the metal post into the gas petal as far as it could go while driving around other vehicles on the freeway. Mo was on her shoulder yelling at her to slow down, but she was to busy watching the smoke rise from where the shuttle crashed up ahead. "Slow down!" Mo's voice finally got through to her. "No!" She shouted back and pressed down on the post harder. She finally had to slam the brakes once they got to the crashed shuttle. Control got out of the jeep and ran to the shuttle, the shuttle's door was missing so she climbed in. Cleo was laying on the floor, she ran up to him, "Cleo!"

He was looking straight up, "Hey Control, Mo, gravity sucks..."
Butch and his team were finished with two more houses in the neighborhood. He looked at the now rising moon, "Okay, let's pack it up and head home." Everyone grabbed a bag of food and other salvaged supplies. "Yeah, now we get to go home just to be sent back here tomorrow." Coon said. "Why can't you ever be happy?" Cit told him. "I don't know." Coon shot back. Outlaw looked back down the road and saw a figure walking towards them, "Who is that?" He asked the group. Butch turned around to get a better look, "Oh, that's Virgil, leader of Utopia." He waved, and Virgil waved back as he approached. Virgil finally made it to them, "I thought I'd never make it in time." He smiled and they all continued walking.

Bandit and Outlaw were busy bombarding Virgil with questions about Utopia, Virgil was polite and responded to every question. As they approached the gates, the same weasel and cat opened the gate. Butch waved to the dog as they walked through, "Let Baxter know that Virgil is here." The weasel nodded and ran off. "Well, it was nice seeing you but we have to unload these supplies." Butch nodded to Virgil and lead his team off to the depot. Virgil noted the amount of food they brought in.

Virgil only had to wait a few minutes before Baxter came out, "Welcome to Sanctuary Virgil." Baxter called out with his paws up in the air in a celebratory fashion. Virgil turned to face Baxter, "Baxter." They shook paws once they were near each other. "What brings you here my friend?" Baxter asked, "I need to discuss a trade agreement with you." Virgil's tone remained neutral. Baxter quickly shifted to a neutral tone himself, "Follow me." Baxter lead him to the same back room that he did his interviews in.

"What do you have in mind..."
Shepard and Soap finished bringing out all the supplies they had collected from the hospital. Alpha was sitting alone waiting for his team to tell him that they were good to go. Shepard and Soap made their way to Alpha, "So can we come with you, to this Sanctuary?" Soap asked. "Sure, just don't spray any more animals." Alpha joked, "By the way, this will wash out?" Alpha smelt himself and gagged. "It should with a tomato bath." Shepard said as Soap looked away ashamed. "So why did you have those weapons?" Alpha asked nodding to the crossbow. "Too many late night horror movies." Shepard replied, "Besides, they made us feel safe."

Old Yeller walked into the mess hall, "Okay, we are good to go, and Alpha you really stink." "Oh ha ha, let's go." Alpha said as he got up and headed for the staircase. Cujo was sitting outside the helicopter, as Alpha walked by he held his nose, "This is going to be a long trip." He joked. Alpha turned to Soap, "Can you spray him and save me the trouble of rubbing against him." Cujo ran inside the Chinook, Soap looked horrified at Alpha, "Only kidding." Alpha said as they got into the helicopter.

Alpha walked into the cockpit, "Not a word." He told Old Yeller. Cujo sat across form Soap, "So you're not going to spray me, right?" "Cujo, come on, why can't you just be nice." Lassie lectured Cujo. "Okay, sorry." Cujo told Soap. "So you really can't smell?" Lassie asked Shepard, "Nope." "You guys make the perfect team." Lassie shoved Cujo playfully. "You guys always play around?" Soap asked them. "Well sure, how did you make it through this mess?" Cujo asked a little more seriously this time. Shepard looked at Soap, "He has a point."

Old Yeller pointed at the heavy rising smoke over near the highway, "What's that..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Is it okay if I silently ship Cleo and Control? It could be called Cleontrol...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I personally think that Clontrol sounds like it would be better.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Heh, what people can come up with...
Chapter 8: Coming Together

Control was sitting against the wall next to Cleo, Mo was sitting on Cleo's space suit. "I missed you Cleo." Control told him. Cleo was still laying on the floor looking up at the roof, "I missed you too." He said. "Think you'll be able to sit up?" Mo asked him. "No, over two years in space did it's number on me." He sounded more sad now. Cleo tried to get up but his body didn't give him much, "So what do we do now?" Cleo asked after giving up again. "What can we do?" Control replied. Cleo wiggled around in his suit some more, "Help me outta this suit." Mo climbed off Cleo as Control began to take off the space suit. A few minutes later Cleo was sitting limp against the wall next to Control. "A dog, a cat, and a mouse all sitting together in a spaceship, what we must look like." Mo jested. "Still haven't, what's that." He interrupted himself as the sound of a helicopter neared.

Control got up, "You two stay here." She said as she left, "Be careful." Cleo said as he tried to get up. Cleo and Mo listened to the sound of the helicopter land, a few minutes later two more dogs came in and helped Cleo up. They carried him to a Chinook, once inside they strapped him to a seat. Control sat next to him with Mo on her shoulder. They looked around to see a skunk, two more cats, and the two dogs that helped Cleo into here. As the Chinook took off they all introduced themselves, "So you where in space this whole time?" Shepard asked Cleo, "Yes." "What's space like?" Cujo asked right after Cleo's response. "Big and lonely." Cleo was able to turn his head and look at Control. "How long have you two known each other?" Lassie asked them. "We all knew each other before this happened." Control said to her. "That must have been an interesting start to a friendship." Cujo sorta joked, Cleo laughed, and Cujo was for once caught off guard. "So, where are we heading?" Cleo asked.

"Sanctuary..."
Butch and his team finished offloading the supplies they gathered at the depot. "Ready to see where we all stay for a full night now?" Butch asked the ferrets. "Yes!" They both replied. They walked over to the houses, they stopped in front of one, "This one is ours." Butch said as they all went inside. "It's two bedrooms and one bathroom, with this being our living slash kitchen room." Butch said, "That one is mine, that one is Otis and Rex's, and that couch is Cit and Coon's." Butch pointed to both bedrooms and the couch as he said them. "Sorry, but it looks like you'll still be stuck on the floor for awhile." "It's okay." Bandit said as Otis handed them some blankets. Bandit and Outlaw placed the blankets out on the floor under the window next to the front door.

"Do you mind if we go for a walk?" Bandit asked the group. "Not at all, go enjoy yourselves." Butch told them. Bandit and Outlaw went for a walk through Sanctuary, as they went by the farms Fox spotted them and ran over, "Hey guys!" Fox said and waved as he ran to them, "How was your first day here." Fox asked once he got to them. "Uneventful how was yours." Outlaw told him. "The same, well, what are you doing?" Fox replied. "Exploring, might see if we can find Omega, want to join us?" Bandit asked him. "Sure." Fox said and they all continued walking. They began to talk about their new friends and what they have to do and other random stuff. They finally found Omega working alone in another housing area.

"Hey Omega!" Bandit called out once they saw him. Omega waved and continued to work on the house. "What are you doing here?" Omega asked as they got closer. "Looking for you." Fox said cheerfully. "Oh, well you found me, now what are you going to do?" He kept working. "Well, do you need help?" Bandit asked him. "Sure, hand me those boards." Omega pointed to the wood boards on the ground. Bandit and Outlaw began to pick up the boards and handing them to Omega, Fox was helping hold the board in place as they worked. "What are you working on, and why are you still working." Outlaw asked after a few minutes. "What else can I do." Omega replied.

In the distance was the sound of a helicopter getting closer.
Virgil and Baxter sat across each other at the table. "We have decided to stay for winter, and we need food." Virgil started out, "So would you be willing to trade?" Baxter sat back in his chair, "What do you have that we need?" "Water." Virgil said and leaned forward, "I know you can't be finding enough to keep those farms watered and your thirst quenched at the same time." Baxter crossed his arms, "And you do." "I have the entire ocean on my side." Virgil said smugly, "And all we need is food." Baxter still sat back in his chair, "And how do we deliver these supplies back and forth?"

"You have military trucks and, from what I hear now, a helicopter." Baxter uncrossed his arms and leaned forward, "That would not be fair for us, you'll have to do better." Virgil thought about this for a few seconds, "We'll give you the gas needed to deliver these supplies." Baxter looked him in the eyes, "I want a little extra gas, so we can get more supplies for this agreement." "But, but..." Virgil glanced around, "Fine." They both shook each others paws and got up. They both walked out into the night air, as Virgil began to leave Baxter called out, "It was nice seeing you, come back anytime." Baxter turned around as the gate closed, he had to check on something.

He arrived at the depot, he looked at the guard, "How much food can we spare..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

"I missed you Cleo."
"I missed you too."
Clontrol!!! okay I'll stop now.

Nice chapter, :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This chapter really came out very great! Nice job!
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

You two give me the motivation to just keep on writing...
Chapter 9: Agreements

Charlie sat next to his truck as he watched the Chinook land on the football field. Rune was the first one out carrying some boxes, he nodded a the cat passed, he still couldn't get a read on that cat. Alpha and Old Yeller got out next, Old Yeller walked by carrying more boxes while Alpha walked up to him. "How it... Oh man you stink Alpha." Charlie tried to hold his nose but that was one strong smell. He noticed a skunk and another cat carrying more boxes to the back of the truck. Alpha nodded to them, "A little misunderstanding with Soap and Shepard here." They nodded to Charlie as their names were mentioned. Charlie then noticed Cujo and Lassie carrying another dog to the truck. "That's Cleo, just got back from his prison sentence in space." Cleo smiled as they passed by. Control and Mo were the last two out and were following the dogs. "Then we found Control and Mo here with Cleo." "Well it sounds like quit the story." Charle said as they got into the truck.

Once everyone else was in Charlie started the truck and started to drive to Sanctuary. Both Charlie and Alpha had to roll down the windows after three seconds of being in the cab of the truck. "So what happened out there?" Charlie asked. Alpha went through the whole story of the hospital and the finding of the crash site. "Well, isn't that something for a first day." Charlie said after a few seconds pause. They pulled through the gate's of Sanctuary.

"Welcome back..."
Baxter watched as the military truck pulled through the gate and up to the depot. Alpha and Charlie got out and went up to him. "Argh, Alpha what happened?" Baxter said as soon as he smelled Alpha. "Skunk, can I go get a bath?" Alpha pointed to the depot, Baxter knew what he meant, "Yes, the guard will definitively give you some cans of tomato soup." Alpha walked into the depot. Baxter and Charlie walked around to the back of the truck, they began to help the others out. "Old Yeller, you and your team collect the boxes and bring them into the depot." Alpha's team quickly picked up all the boxes and headed off. "Cleo, that dog, is going to need some help." Charlie went on to explain what Alpha had told him with the help of the rest of the group. "Okay, well, we have an empty house, you will all stay there together for now." Baxter said as he and Charlie helped Cleo out of the truck.

They slowly made their way to the house. "It isn't much but it's your home now." Baxter said as he opened the front door. Baxter and Charlie helped Cleo onto the couch. "I'll be back here first thing in the morning with your new jobs and duties." Baxter said to them, they all nodded in agreement. Baxter walked to the door, "Oh, and welcome to Sanctuary." He said and left. "Night." Charlie said as he closed the door behind him. "I'm going to go check on the wall." Charlie told Baxter as he walked off. Baxter decided to go check on Alpha and his team and headed off for their house. He knocked on their door once he arrived. Lassie opened the door and let him in. "Thank you." He made sure to say as he walked in.

"So hows Alpha?" He asked, everyone was already sitting in the living room. "He's becoming one with the tomato right now." Cujo jested to himself. "I will get Soap to spray you!" Alpha shouted from the bathroom. "Well, that's part of the reason I'm here, I what to hear what happened and what do you think of the newcomers?" Baxter told them. He listened as they told them what happened and what they think of each of the newcomers. "Thank you." He said after they were done and he left.

He had a lot to think about and needed some rest.
Virgil spent most of the night walking, a familiar guard greeted him at the docks. "Hey Virgil, how it go?" The guard asked, "Good, how much gasoline do we have?" The guard looked puzzled at him, "Well, we still have that oil tanker, it's still pretty full." "Good, and good night." Virgil said to the guard as he headed off to the Utopia. Once he was on the Utopia he made his way straight to their desaltification room, The lead raccoon looked up from his chair at him, "What is it Virgil?" "How much fresh water can we produce a day?" Virgil asked. The raccoon looked back at their machines, "Enough to keep our farms and population watered with extra to go around, why?" "We need to trade it for food with Sanctuary, so start saving that extra water." Virgil told the raccoon as he left, "Okay." The raccoon said.

Virgil headed up to the bridge, Fala was sitting there waiting for him. "Anything happen while I was gone?" Fala looked up a little startled but relaxed when she saw Virgil, "No, everything was running smoothly while you were gone." Virgil walked over the the windows and looked out to the deck. "So, what happened at Sanctuary?" Fala asked. "It was decided that we would give them water and gas for them to give us food and transportation." Private made his way over to his chair, Fala got out of it, and he sat down. "Oh." She said, to him it sounded a little more down than usual, "Yeah, but it is what we are going to have to do since we are staying the winter." Fala looked at him.

"Okay, so long as we don't go without one thing for another..."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Realistically if Cleo didn't do much exercise up there for 2 years, his bones are really gonna messed up for quite a bit. But you know, that's just me thinking; realistically.
Wait, I all the sudden forgot, is Virgil an otter?
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Chapter 10: Settling In

Butch walked into his home after visiting Baxter to hear if they had any new duties. Everyone was in the living room eating oatmeal. "Once you're done eating we will be heading out to continue salvage operations in the surrounding area." Coon looked at Butch, "Since when has it been any different?" Butch just shook his head. Once they were done eating they made their way to another part of the nearby neighborhood. They watched as the sun rose over the horizon, "Okay, same routine, let's start with this house and work our way down. "Well, how do you like Sanctuary so far?" Cit asked the two ferrets once they were inside working away. "How would they know, they've been there for two nights." Coon scoffed. Cit glared at Coon, "It's just like civilization, live to work and work to live." Outlaw joked. They all let out a muffled laugh.

Since Cit and Bandit had the fastest job they finished collecting the food and medicine, they decided to head over to the next house. "So what do you think of Sanctuary?" Bandit asked Cit as they made their way through the kitchen. "It's great, Coon might be a grumpy animal about it but she likes being there too." Cit said as she made her way up to the cabinets to see if there was still any good food. Meanwhile Coon and Outlaw were working on the windows, "What do you think of Sanctuary?" Outlaw asked Coon as they removed another panel of glass. "It's okay, I just don't like being outside of it everyday keeping those that get to stay inside the walls supplied." "It's not like thy have it easy, they have to do stuff too to keep Sanctuary running." Otis said overhearing the conversation. "Well, why did you show up here?" Coon asked Outlaw. "Bandit, my kithood friend, wanted to come and we need each other." "Oh, keep telling yourself that." Coon said as they got back to work.

They had a long days work ahead of them...
Charlie sat by his truck watching as some animals loaded some boxes of food into the back. Baxter had explained the situation between Utopia and Sanctuary and it was his new duty to deliver the supplies. Once the truck was loaded up with some boxes he said goodbye to the animals and closed up the back of the truck. Once everything was secure he got into the front and rolled down the windows, Alpha's smell was still lingering in the front. He drove past Butch and where his team was, Butch waved, and Charlie made sure to wave back. It was a short drive to Utopia and he saw that Virgil and a few others were waiting for him.

He pulled up next to the group, "Hey Charlie." Virgil said as he got out. "Virgil." Charlie said as they shook paws. They both walked around to the back of the truck. Charlie opened the back and showed Virgil the boxes of food. "So do you have your half of the deal." Charlie asked as the went back to the group. "Yes." Virgil nodded to the group of animals, some made their way to the back of the truck while a few started to take five gallon containers of water and gasoline cans out of a shipping container nearby. They watched while the animals offloaded and loaded the supplies. "What do you think of this trade agreement?" Virgil said and looked at Charlie, "I don't know, I think it's a good thing that we can work together instead of fight over this stuff though." Virgil looked at Charlie but stayed quiet, they continued to watch the animals work.

Once the animals were done Charlie closed up the back and after getting into the front and saying goodbye to Virgil he started to drive back to Sanctuary. He passed by Butch again, and they waved to each other. He pulled into Sanctuary, Baxter and the same group of animals that loaded his truck were waiting for him. Baxter walked up to him, "So how'd go?" "Fine, we now have water and gasoline." Charlie said as he opened up the back. "Good, looks like this will be your new weekly assignment." Baxter said to him as he walked off. Charlie waited until the animals were done unloading the truck before he closed it up again.

He had some time to kill before he had to go get Alpha and his team...
Alpha and his team were heading deep into the heart of the city. "So today we get to see downtown." Old Yeller joked to Alpha. "Yeah, let's see if we can find a place to land and see the sights." Alpha joked back. "And try to land better this time, you stink at... No, you just stink." Alpha frowned, "I'm never gonna lose that reputation I'm I." He said as he shook his head with a smile. As the Chinook made it's way over the city Alpha and Old Yeller looked for a place to land. Old Yeller pointed out the window, "How about there." Alpha looked and saw the landing pad on top of some television news station, "Good enough." They lowered the Chinook and tried to land, this time they landed hard but did not bounce or skid. "Better." Old Yeller said as he looked at Alpha clutching the controls.

Alpha and his team made their way down the building with no problems. Cujo however had to make a joke on every news thing they saw on their way through. Once they where on the main street they looked around, everything was eerily quiet. They made their way down the center of the road passed all the parked vehicles and blowing trash. They looked at each of the buildings, "We're gonna have to search one." Cujo said with a little fear in his voice. "What's the matter, to many late night horror movies." Alpha joked. Cujo just stayed quiet, Lassie pointed to one of the buildings, "Let's check out that one." They all looked at it.

"Sure, why not..."
Baxter was now walking besides Bersi to the newest newcomers house. He knocked on the door, Control answered and let them in. Everyone was sitting around the living room table enjoying their morning oatmeal. "Everyone, this is Bersi, our er... vet." The rabbit waved to the group as Baxter mentioned her name. "Hi." Was all Bersi was able to say. "As a said last night you will have to work for Sanctuary to stay here." Baxter looked at each of them, "Shepard and Soap, you will now be helping Bersi here, and Control and Mo, you'll be helping out in our communications room." They all nodded as he told them what they were to do, "Cleo, you'll have the honor of being able to try and get better." Baxter said to Cleo, he was still stuck sitting back against the couch. "Well, Bersi here will tell you what you have to do, Control and Mo, will you come with me." Control picked up Mo and put him on her shoulder and followed Baxter, "I'll be back Cleo." Control said as she left.

Baxter lead Control to their communication room, which was really just a glorified one room building with some radio equipment in it. "Hi, I'm Vex." A fox said as soon as Control made her way into the room. "Well hi, I'm Control and this is Mo." Control said pointing to herself and then Mo. "I'll let you get acquainted." Baxter said as he left. Control sat down in the only other chair in the room, she let Mo onto the table. Vex went through what they had to do and got to know each other further.

Meanwhile Bersi was introducing herself to Shepard, Soap, and Cleo. "Well, can you move anything at all?" Bersi asked Cleo, he looked at her, "The only thing I can move well is my mouth and head." Bersi frowned, "We have a wheelchair that might work." "Well, I least I'll be less of a burden to move." Cleo laughed at himself. Bersi turned to Shepard and Soap, "I guess I should show you the clinic, I'll be back with a wheelchair." She said as she began to lead her two new helpers out the door. "Do you know anything about veterinary stuff?" She asked them as they walked, "No, not really." Shepard said. "Oh well, I guess you'll have to learn fast because you apparently have that reputation about you now." They arrived at the clinic, it consisted of a front desk, back area, and a side storage room. "I think I have some veterinary books back there, I'll bring this wheelchair to Cleo." Bersi said as she left them there.

The sun continued to cross the sky...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hm, this chapter seemed longer than usual. :D

Now we have a doctor, :D
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Yeah, I won't be able to keep that up...
Chapter 11: Routine

Butch and his team spent most of the day working, today they had made record pace and they were able to clear out three houses. Butch watched the sun start to set, then he looked down to his team, "Looks like tonight we'll have a celebration for this achievement." Everyone smiled at the idea, "Maybe some extra rations tonight..." Butch paused and looked up thoughtfully, "And maybe we start late tomorrow." Now the group was all excited, they each picked up some bags of supplies and headed back to Sanctuary. "I told you your a great help." Cit said as she walked by the ferrets. "Yeah, well thank you." Bandit said back. "We've only celebrated a few times like this, you're lucky to experience one." Coon told the ferrets next. "Should that be a bad or good thing then?" Outlaw looked inquisitively at Coon, he shrugged and kept walking.

As they approached Sanctuary again the dog on the wall waved, Butch waved back. As they went through the gate Baxter was waiting for them, "Ah, there you are." Baxter walked over and intercepted Butch. Butch gave his bags to Rex, "Go on without me, I'll meet you at home." Rex took the bags and nodded, leading the group onward. "Wonder what that's about." Bandit said as he looked over his shoulder. "I don't know, but it looks like we just lost that party." Coon said. "Oh relax, it couldn't be that bad." Cit said playfully punching the raccoon in the arm. Once they dropped off the supplies they headed home, they all sat around the living room trying to make small talk. Butch came in a few minutes later, he appeared distracted but when he looked at his group he smiled.

"Okay, what does everyone want..."
Charlie made his patrol around the walled perimeter, checking on the guards. He knew that they served no purpose really, nor even if they did they probably wouldn't be good at it. But Baxter made it a point that they had to look secure and civilized, it helped maintain the peace. As always all the guards reported nothing wrong, no newcomers, and were fine. After he did that he watched the sun start to set, he still had some time before he had to go wait for Alpha and his team at their makeshift landing pad. He wondered around until he came across the farms, they were nothing more to him than just a very large community garden with some young trees. Fox spotted him and came over, "What do you want?" Fox said smiling. Charlie shook his paw, "Nothing, how's your stay here been, Fox, right." "Yes, call me Fox, and good, half the animals here barely know what they are doing but they're a friendly bunch." Fox looked over the field at all the others working. "Apparently thanks to me, we will be able to get more out of what land you have." Charlie looked at Fox, remembering the trade agreement, "That's really good, well see you later." Charlie patted the fox on the back.

He made his way over to the depot, Omega was leaving carrying more building supplies. "Hey, Omega right." Charlie called out to the wolf. Omega stopped, "Yes." "Well, I'm Charlie and I was just wondering how you like it here?" Omega looked at the dog, "Ah, okay, I guess it's better than what I had before." "Well, do you enjoy what you do?" Charlie tried to keep the conversation going. Omega looked at the pile of wooden planks he was carrying, "It's a job, someone has to do it." Omega turned and walked off. Charlie let him, no point in trying to further that conversation. He made his way over to his truck. He got in and began to drive off to the high school.

He was pretty sure it would be a long night again...
Soap and Shepard were in the clinic looking over some veterinary books. Soap looked up from his book, "Why do you think we got put here?" Shepard kept reading for a few seconds before looking up, "Probably because they found us in a hospital." "Yeah but..." Soap paused, "Why complain, we have a home now and food, the faster we learn this, the better." They both keep on reading, neither one of them were sure what they were suppose to be learning. They had been at this all day waiting for Bersi to return, after a little while more they both began to look around the room.

Cleo was sitting in the wheelchair Bersi brought back to him, it took them awhile but Bersi was able to get Cleo in the wheelchair. Cleo was still unable to move much of his body well so he sat limp in the chair. "Well, just try to exercise your arms for now, it will take a very long time." Cleo looked at Bersi, "Yeah, doesn't that suck." He smiled to himself, Bersi looked puzzled at him, wondering how such an creature could be so down on themselves and finding joy in it. "Well, I'll come by everyday to help you with the exercises, I'm pretty sure Control will be happy to push you around though." Cleo still sat there smiling to himself, "Thank you for the wheelchair, but it is getting late and you have Soap and Shepard to deal with." Bersi walked to the door, "Yeah, well good night." She closed the door and walked off to the clinic. Bersi arrived at the clinic to find Soap and Shepard looking around the room, "Sorry about the time delay, if you want you can go home, I'll try and teach you some stuff tomorrow." She apologetically at them as they left, "No need to be sorry." Soap said as he walked by her and left.

Control and Mo were lazily staring at the radios, Vix turned to them, "Night shift will be here soon." Mo was laying on the table, "This is what you do all day?" Vix looked down at the mouse, "Yep, some days are more interesting than others but..." The fox trailed off, Control looked at her, "It's an okay job, it's no better than what we did before coming here." "Yeah but we had Cleo contacting us." Mo complained, "Well here we have Utopia contacting us." Control said to Mo, he just sighed. Vix looked uncomfortable, "Don't mind us, you'll get used to it." She smiled at the fox. Two animals appeared in the doorway, they got up to make room for the newcomers. Control took Mo and followed Vix out, "Well, see you tomorrow." Vix said waving and walking off.

Now they all got to head home for their first time in over two years...
Alpha and his team headed down the stairs of yet another buildings basement. "We've been at this all day and we still haven't found anything." Cujo complained as they reached the bottom of the staircase. "Oh, what happened to the scared dog this morning." Alpha teased him. "He died of boredom." Old Yeller laughed a little, "Yeah, I thought down town was suppose to be fun." Old Yeller continued the jesting. "Maybe the night life will be more fun in this area." Alpha said, "Now come on, let's look around." Like most of the other buildings they explored this one was quite large. Alpha and Old Yeller began to look through all of the boxes stored here while Lassie and Cujo did the same on the other side of the room. Rune made his way to the back looking around. Rune quickly walked back to Alpha waving at him to come with him. Alpha noticed and called everyone over, they were standing in front of a sealed metal door that had an electric lock which was dead. "Hmm, could be something valuable in there, Rune, can you get it open?" Alpha asked Rune and he watched the cat walked up to the electric lock, after some fiddling with it and other mechanical stuff the dogs couldn't figure out, Rune stepped back and nodded to the door. "Cujo, help me get it open." Alpha and Cujo each took a side of the door and began to pull. After a few seconds of struggling against the door it finally cracked, Old Yeller and Lassie stepped in and helped push each door as they pulled. Once the door was opened they all looked at Rune panting, Rune was just staring in shock at whatever was in the room, they all turned their heads to see what he was looking at and froze.

They were looking into the eyes of four humans standing in the room...
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

You've got a lot of characters here, and it's a bit confusing at times, but I'm finding myself really wanting to find out more about each team of animals. You're obviously doing something right ;)
There's a lot of (for example) "Cleo did this. Cleo did that. Bersi got Cleo in the wheelchair. Cleo laughed." This can get a bit repetitive sounding, which is why people tend to try finding other ways of describing things or breaking actions apart more with other descriptions to avoid the "He did. She did. We did. They did." feel.
Writing can be a bit of a time investment, and I'd much rather see this story continue than bog you down with extra things to think about if it'll cause you to put it down (you've already got a lot to keep track of). So this is just food for thought if you notice and want to work on improving your technique :)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Humans are here now, :o
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This newest installment is very gripping! Nice job on it!