Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Those weapons look very menacing! Great job on them!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Buster wrote:The weapon you drew for max, from the Monster set, kinda reminds me of this thing.

kinda a 3-way hybrid between a punch-dagger, brass knuckles, and wrist claws.
...oy.

First off, those are really cool-looking things! Max could pull a Vega! Unless one is from Japan, then a Balrog. Still find the name situation interesting. Thinking I should make one of his weapons like that!

Second, about ten minutes after posting the original, I decided to scrap that Monster design, anyway. It just still doesn't "click" with me. Hate when that happens! Not the first time, but still irritating. Don't even think it would be satisfactory to me as a regular weapon. I'll try to come up with something else.

Also, I decided to give the Monster weapons a background, to denote their cursed status. Viper's Vice, I'll try to work in a snake design. Key word being TRY.

EDIT: Think I finally got it! Also, Max's gag weapon. Have two more weapon concepts, posting those later.
Attachments
monsterknuckleconcept.jpg
monsterknuckleconcept.jpg (67.36 KiB) Viewed 16100 times
lilboxerconcept.jpg
lilboxerconcept.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 16100 times
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I still haven't played the Demo, I really should. I love all the weapon concepts that have been made, my favorite is Max's weapon. :D

I like the sprites that have been made as well, they look good.

I haven't listened to any music that has been made since my last post, I should do that. The stuff I listened to in the past was good.

Now I just have to keep up with this thread so I don't have to spend an hour reading through it again. :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Great job on all these weapons! I wish I could draw like that!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, two more concepts, these I hope would work for early in the game.
Here is Cat's Paw Image
And Knuckle Duster Image
Also, thought up this for use as a background for the Monster set Image

I'm aware that sizing will be an issue that'll need correcting soon.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Great job on all these weapons! I wish I could draw like that!
It's all small steps, Dayzee. My earliest stuff really didn't look all too great. I've gotten marginally but noticeably better over the years.

Alright, I'm going to get to coloring these in.

EDIT: Alrighty, now Viper's Vice colored in! I'll go ahead and say it now, it was inspired by the song "Vices like Vipers".
:oops: I honestly didn't feel like shading this. Odd slump.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, D-Rock.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks, Saturn! Also, got the Monster design done for Max!Image

I do have the version without the background, over here http://sta.sh/01bhvees9p8k

So, would you want me to post the versions with the backgrounds, or just the clean ones in the future?

Oh, yeah, song for inspiration was "Monster" by Skillet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjlM_RnsVE

I hoped to catch a sense of uncontrollable power, which is why I think the curse for it works really well.

EDIT:Alright, got Knuckle Duster done. Still trying to get shading like I was shown earlier, still mixed results.
Cat's Paw will be next, and then I need to sketch three more knuckles for Max for a set of 10.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

D-Rock wrote: Oh, yeah, song for inspiration was "Monster" by Skillet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjlM_RnsVE
Hey! Skillet! Comatose and Not Gonna Die Tonight are among my favorite Hard Rock songs.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And Cats Paw!
This was a really simple one, actually. I knew I wanted one styled after a paw, and tried to make it look old. Don't think I managed to capture that part. Okay, now back to sketching his set!
GreatKitsune wrote:
D-Rock wrote: Oh, yeah, song for inspiration was "Monster" by Skillet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjlM_RnsVE
Hey! Skillet! Comatose and Not Gonna Die Tonight are among my favorite Hard Rock songs.
Dude, those are great songs, too! I'll be honest, I thought about trying to come up with something with Good to be Alive and Not Gonna Die Tonight. Those two songs just have a perfect segue that I want to try coming up with a sword design to reflect that. Also, I imagine with the former, we have a hero just relaxing, then at the intro of the second song, suddenly having to face their inner darkness, and instead of trying to simply contain it, they choose the very hard way and fight it.

... :? As I mentioned earlier, my mind can be rather out there. :oops:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Geez those look like they could cause some damage! Nice job!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey guys, I'm back.

Now I just have to read through all the new posts.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Just a quick edit of an alternate tarot.

In other news bino may be a while. every time I scale him down to sprite-size he winds up looking like a deformed peanut from the front...
Attachments
peanut sheet1.png
peanut sheet1.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 15944 times
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, Buster.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dayzee, have you happened to check up on how damaging regular brass knuckles are? There's a reason they're illegal in many places. Which reminds me, how exactly are we going to justify Max having those? Eh, overthinking it, I think.

Glad you're back, SuperStar. Any new ideas in the meantime?

Strange how much difference a simple color change can have on a sprite. Tarot's looking pretty good. And about Bino's sprite, how exactly do you go about making them? I'm curious, is all.

And finished in Max's gag weapon, the Li'l Boxer!
I'll be honest, I nearly forgot about it! And never knew how much I disliked coils before this.

Well, NOW back to sketching.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Finally got my laptop working again, but now I'm having software issues. ...It may be a while.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote: Glad you're back, SuperStar. Any new ideas in the meantime?
Eh, sadly not that much. I didn't want to think to hard on anything without letting you guys in on it. Though I did think about something. What's Bailey gonna fight with?
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

SuperStar wrote:
D-Rock wrote: Glad you're back, SuperStar. Any new ideas in the meantime?
Eh, sadly not that much. I didn't want to think to hard on anything without letting you guys in on it. Though I did think about something. What's Bailey gonna fight with?
Facepunches. We've seen their lethality. :lol:
Hello, low order beings!

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

What's Bino's move set? Or have we not gotten there yet?
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, I'm not sure Bailey can fight with just facepunchs. I mean, you can't exactly equip those, and we already have Max using knuckles. (Also, Bailey's legendary weapon should be a big broadsword, like what she had while she was the White Crusader.)

Bino's weapon? Well, one idea is that he uses balls like Peanut, but his stats are more tank-like.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Kind of thought that Bailey would use broadswords at some point. As for her starter weapon, before she gets back her blades, how about a bat? Maybe Sabrina could also use twin staffs?

Bailey's face punch could always be a TP based move, like how Grape has yarn and fanfics.

If he ends up using balls, would Bino share Peanut's weapons, or should he have his own set? Or since we've seen him use sticks, how about he ends up using short swords (granted, it was only once, but I think we're really reaching out for all the characters)? Ooh, his joke weapon could be said stick, and call it "Failed Test"!

All I can think of at the moment, let's see what else comes up.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

How about either boomerangs or a bolas? Bino, despite his size, seems to have a good arm, as shown in these strips.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That sounds like it could be a good idea. If its one thing that Bino is good at, its throwing stuff. Especially fits!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, we got swords, balls, and throwing items for Bino's weapon suggestions. What does everyone else feel?

I did hear a song that I felt worked uncannily well with Bino, had a sword in mind, but let's finalize his weapon type first. Who knows, I may be able to work it into other types (I mean, already doing that with Vices like Vipers and Monster).

Song was "Butcher's Mouth" by Emery.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait... what if bino doesn't have a fixed weapon type. each tier is a different weapon entirely, which he's only kinda average with. it fits when you think about it; bino tries to be the best at everything, he wouldn't want someone else being better than him with a weapon, even if it is their specialty.

like level 1 is his ball (copying peanut), 2 is the stick (copying fox), 3 he has a mop and seems to bee copying grape's style, etc. and his abilities are the classic blue mage set, he's copying enemy attacks.

Also his joke weapon should be named "stale pizza", causes his attack to be replaced with a self-targeted TP boost (that has a random chance of KO-ing him) instead, and the description says "Ever been mauled by a Tiger? That's why you don't steal his lunch."

then for tier 9(cursed), & 10, he has an actual weapon of his own.

As for max having the knuckles, have his first set be named "Lil' Toughguy" look kinda off, and the description says they're plastic. then he gets the real ones as the 'game' begins.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I like that idea about Max, but I'm not seen keen on Bino quite yet. What you guys think?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Liking the justification for the knuckles. Let's go with that!
Not sure on that type of deal with Bino, myself. We'd still need a "true" weapon type for Vipers Vice, Monster, and his ultimate. I'm biased towards blades, which is why I want to hear everyone else's views.

Would be neat for someone to be a mimic character, though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind seeing Bino as a mimic character if he doesn't have a weapon of his own.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well, so far we have a throwing weapon fighter(ball), two different kinds of polearm wielders (broom & staff), a caster (book), a fighter (shovels/swords), a Paladin (blunt weapons/swords), a brawler/dualwielder (Knuckles/small blades), a caster/dualwielder (Rods/wands), (and possibly a plain brawler in Kevin. what would work there, gloves? like Red XIII, it counts as their weapon even though they don't actually use one, for progression's sake.) and... whatever the heck Sasha's purses qualify her as.

What style would fill a niche that isn't already there? or what would compliment the existing styles? with the original plan of him and peanut both using balls, i figured the easiest way to differentiate em would be having one pitch the ball baseball style, the other like a soccer ball... but that was more just me not liking the idea of carbon-copy characters.

Like D-rock my own personal bias are coming into play here; I don't like the idea of multiple overly similar characters. at all. so i don't want to go back to the ball thing, nor do i want to give him any kind of sword...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, a thing about Bino using a ball is that he probably wouldn't be in the party the same time as Peanut, but I know what you mean.

Wouldn't Kevin use a baton?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Axes/Hammers or clubs for Bino?

Superstar, what about a tonfa for Kevin, since he is a cop?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Axes/Hammers or clubs for Bino?

Superstar, what about a tonfa for Kevin, since he is a cop?
Baton, Tonfa, both cop things right?

Axes and Hammers... HRM. We don't have someone like that yet. But how could we justify Bino using them?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dang it, I can't! :(

All we have regarding weapons are a stick and a ball for Bino. Or he could be a summoner and rely on members of the GODC or the animals he met in the forest. Maybe a whistle?

You know, haven't designed tonfas before, though now that I think about it, they seem more suited for Ralph or Fido, and I liked the old idea of Fido using a gun with rubber bullets to start. But there's nothing in the comic concerning that. 1X! did, though.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Dang it, I can't! :(

All we have regarding weapons are a stick and a ball for Bino. Or he could be a summoner and rely on members of the GODC or the animals he met in the forest. Maybe a whistle?

You know, haven't designed tonfas before, though now that I think about it, they seem more suited for Ralph or Fido, and I liked the old idea of Fido using a gun with rubber bullets to start. But there's nothing in the comic concerning that. 1X! did, though.
Ralph could use a tonfa, Kevin a baton, and Fido could use a gun. They haven't been shown using these in the comics, but it's justified because they're all cop related weapons.

Bino! Why do you have to be so hard!?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I was also leaning toward daggers for Bino. This is because most thief classes have them.
My characters!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Mickey wrote:I was also leaning toward daggers for Bino. This is because most thief classes have them.
OH MY GOSH! I just remembered something that I did think of while the internet was out!

JOEY! I thought something out for JOEY. Sorry to bring it up now while talking about Bino, but the talk of daggers just reminded me of it! I had this idea where Joey would be sort of a Rogue class, using daggers and being very speedy but low defenses. My justification? LARPing gear, :P
But hey, maybe the Rogue class suits Bino better.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I honestly like the idea of Bino being a mimic-esque fighter, but I can see how that would be hard to program.
Joey's LARPing thing sounds perfect though, he would ABSOLUTELY do that in this situation! :lol:
Also sorry for not posting for a while, had some technical difficulties. I'll be doin more things I need to do for this project now that everythings up and running again. :)
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Thought someone was missing, :D
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i would have had joey using obscure firearm-style anime weapons, making him the party's gunner, justified as cosplay props at first, but ending up with some kind of transforming rifle battle axe laser thing that looks like it belongs in RWBY but is entirely origional.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Buster wrote: Like D-rock my own personal bias are coming into play here; I don't like the idea of multiple overly similar characters. at all. so i don't want to go back to the ball thing, nor do i want to give him any kind of sword...
We could try catnip-related weapons. Or maybe a cannon that shoots mailman pinatas.

EDIT:
Buster wrote: i would have had joey using obscure firearm-style anime weapons, making him the party's gunner, justified as cosplay props at first, but ending up with some kind of transforming rifle battle axe laser thing that looks like it belongs in RWBY but is entirely origional.
Maybe a gunsword?

Also, Tarot should eventually upgrade to "digital" (green) weapons like she just did in the comic.
Hello, low order beings!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What would you recommend for a digital weapon then?