HPU: Applegate OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Mickey

Re: Pet Friendly: Applegate OOC

Post by Mickey »

Sorry! I'm new here and I don't know everything even after reading the instructions. So I fixed what was needed!

Character Name: Mickey Strawters

Color: Light Green. If taken, maroon.

Type: Main character

Species/Breed: Calico cat

Neighbourhood: Applegate

Appearance: Mickey is only about half her owners height, reaching 2'6 feet. Her muzzle, underbelly, tail tip, tuft of hair and ponytail are black. Mickey herself is light brown with lighter brown eyes. She wears a red handkerchief over a deep green leather collar. The red handkerchief means that she brings in the strawberries on the ranch.

Personality: Mickey is a tomboy, to put it simply. She is ruffle and tumble, never hesitating to play fight. She doesn't mind getting dirty, since the scent of strawberries will forever be in her fur. But at the same time, Mickey is also friendly and kind. She cares for her friends and will stand up for those who can't stand for themselves. She'll help out critters in need always, unless she knows somethings up. She was also raised in the country side, giving her a thick country accent and speech.

Just don't make her mad if you vaule your jugular and ribs.

Other notes:

- Strength: 6
- Perception: 5
- Endurance: 6
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 8
- Agility: 4
- Luck: 7
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

alright that light green looks fine.

but I just noticed the age. You sure you want to make her a toddler? that's significantly younger than any of the other pets (most of us are in our 20s in pet years)

also, that puts extra restrictions on your stats resulting in an even lower point value
Hlaoroo wrote:
  • Young characters (less than 3 human years/10.5 animal years) also have their strength and endurance cut in half with the additional rules that those stats cannot be above 7 prior to cutting and intelligence cannot be above 5. Their bodies and minds simply have not had time to develop yet.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

She's not really an adult in animal years nor a toddler. She is somewhere in between, probably go with 2.5 years old in human years then. I don't want her any older than that because she's the youngest on the ranch she's comes from. But I guess, I wouldn't mind the restrictions, it just make her even more unique!
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

the stat restrictions will still be the same, so you'll need to redo your sheet again (just edit the previous post and let me know when you're done)

but she could still be the youngest at 3 human years/10.5 pet years if everyone else is 4/14 or older. then you'd have no extra stat restrictions but she'd still be young, and it would be a little less awkward for all the young adult/teen pets to be hanging out with her (but only a little)

but if you're absolutely sure, then as I said just edit your character sheet's stats to conform to the restrictions and you should be good.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I just made her 3 years old in human years.
My characters!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

then everything seems to be in order.
you can go ahead and make an introductory post, all of the other pets are currently in the music store
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Marine Fox

Post by Marine Fox »

Hello Everyone, Long time no see :) Hope everyone is doing just fine! I apologize that I had suddenly dropped off the face of the earth for quite sometime, Stuff had come up and kept me from being able to be here reliably. But since things have calmed down if ya'll will have me I'd love to come back and join ya'll again. :mrgreen:
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yay , welcome back ^^
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: HPU: Applegate OOC

I've changed the title of the RP to reflect the new Housepets Universe name for the RPs
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

WELP. I suppose it's time I returned. For those who are new here, I play:
Name: Rena Callahan

Species: Shiba Inu (Dog)

Neighborhood: Applegate

-Appearance-
Black back with a tan underbelly that wraps around halfway to her paws. She wears a red collar with a tag shaped like an open book, and a small open-chest jacket during late fall to early spring. She's rather slender, but she's definably in shape. It shows in her tail that she's descended from a pomeranian.

-Personality-
Rena is a Tomboy, and a rather tough one at that. She's fairly even tempered with fair manners, has a very worldly look on her small town life. She'd been around with her owner, who's often considered crazy, since she was old enough to be adopted. Having been raised by her, she's got her same eccentric traits about stuff she enjoys.

-Morality-
Neutral Realist: She'll be nice and let things go only as they seem rational, but once things seem irrational, her foot goes down, and nothing you can do short of physical restraint or injury will stop her.

-Talent-
Hunting: Being a breed of dog actually bread to hunt in mountains, she's a natural at it. She took well to all areas in the field, from tracking, to "bagging", to campsite defense. Her peak areas are tracking and fending off ferals.

Other Notes:
- Rena is a well in shape girl, and likes to keep it like that.
- Rena is not the best gal to have watch something, since she's prone to loosing stuff.
- Rena likes to keep calm as much as possible, but can't help but be even a little eccentric about things she likes.
- Rena is allergic to fish.
- Rena was trained to track things, and loves doing it.

SPECIAL
S - 7
P - 4
E - 7
C - 5
I - 5
A - 9
L - 5

Color: #00CD99
Also, Brent, as you'll be playing Nettie by request, I have a request in turn:

Any time it's just Rena and Nettie talking, I'd like to do it either by Skype or Private Messaging in order to avoid obstructing flow of the actual R.P.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

hooray , welcome back Leaf ^^ , looking forward to seeing how Rena would react to the new feral in town ^^
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

... I hope you don't expect candy.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:Also, Brent, as you'll be playing Nettie by request, I have a request in turn:

Any time it's just Rena and Nettie talking, I'd like to do it either by Skype or Private Messaging in order to avoid obstructing flow of the actual R.P.
granted
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Can I make a counter-request then?
Could we have a summary of those times either in the IC or OOC thread just to keep the rest of us in the loop if anything important happens? Cheers.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

It was the idea, Hlaoroo.
Love me right now! Done.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Awesome. :) Just thought I'd make sure. I've never seen anyone doing a forum RP outside of the forums so I was just working out the logistics. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Leafolawl wrote:... I hope you don't expect candy.
oh no don't worry , as long as Rena don't chase Serenade outta town , I'm good :P
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Oh, I did my usual thing and I read back through a ways from the start. Yes, this is a normal thing for me.

For those who want to copy it, I had a system worked out on how to show what the character was doing with its words based on the punctuation surrounding it.

Words colored are used to identify a character using words to define their reactions and feelings, clearly, but I don't put quotation marks around all of them because not all of them are quotes in the common way you think of them.

Words in quotation marks are quite obvious in what they are. Character speech. I know everyone pretty much knows this already, but I figured it'd be a good idea to state this anyways. For completion's sake.

Italicized words symbolize thoughts. In Applegate, I've found there are two types of thoughts.

Simply having italics throughout a thought is something I've found can be confusing when one can project their thoughts without something to help make the two distinct, so I've taken to encompassing internalized thoughts with colons :like this.: Now, this could be a bit confusing, I'll admit, and may look a bit wonky, so if you find something that's different enough from quotation marks and what Valerio and I have come to use, I'd suggest feeling free to share it.

This is where we run into that thing with the common idea of quotes as well. Technically being quotes, quotation marks fit, but the association of quotation marks representing speech leaves the idea of using them awkward since they're not lines meant for anything that's not the character itself. Not knowing any easy to use characters that lack this connotation, I'm still likely to use this— for simplicity's sake.

Words inside less than and greater than symbols <like this> are projected thoughts. They're the thoughts that ghosts will pick up, or send out. I believe this style is derived from the Caporali quotation marks used in Italian works. Somewhat fitting, I believe, that our local Italian is the one who started that trend. These fall under the standard conception of quotes, so it makes sense that the symbols used would be derived from quotation marks of a sort, if you ask me.

Thank you Valerio.

It helps to consolidate ideas, so what better way to do that than to talk about it in the O.o.C. thread?

What does everyone think? Am I just thinking too hard about this, or is it a good idea to help prevent possible confusion using additional visual clues?

... Also, I get bored at 01:00. :lol:
Love me right now! Done.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

That sounds like a good system, Leaf. I usually just write "thought at the ghost" or I'll have the thought directly addressing the ghost to denote projected thoughts as distinct from internal thoughts but your way also sounds handy.

One question though. What do you mean when you talk about using hyphens ( - ) for quotes? Because we have [quote] tags for quoting other users and aside from that I'm not sure what you'd be quoting. Although, if you mean the character is quoting from a movie or a book or something, I usually don't bother denoting that in speech. That's just personal preference though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I mean simply from the player's perspective. Character quotes, as one might call them. Things the character says or thinks is what I'm about.

They are, after all, quotes.

Also that 'hyphen' is an em dash. It's a punctuation mark of similar use to a comma. The general purpose of the em dash is the same as the comma, but they have much different impact.
Leafolawl wrote:Not knowing any easy to use characters that lack this connotation, I'm still likely to use this—for simplicity's sake.
Instead of separating the thought into two different sentences, the em dash is implicit of an attached thought to a sentence that wouldn't be capable of standing on its own if it lacked context. Being part of the sentence, capitalization follows the same rules it would if following a comma, except you don't need to put a space after the punctuation.

To not go on about that, I'll simply say that the em dash there is part of the sentence's punctuation, not an example part of something I did as part of a system.

... I've been hanging out with a college English major for awhile.
Love me right now! Done.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah, I see what you mean. Given that you were talking about different punctuation marks, I completely misread your sentence and didn't realise you em-dashed to punctuate rather than using it as yet another sign. :oops: My bad.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

personally I just use the italics without any surrounding punctuation for any thoughts then, like Roo, use a framing phrase to indicate to whom the thought is directed, such as "___ thought to him/herself" or "___ thought to ____".
I understand your system, but it can become confusing for anyone not familiar with the system. For instance, I had no idea that Val only used the <> to surround projected as opposed to internal thoughts. I just thought he used them for all thoughts.

You're system isn't bad, and could be included in neighborhood rules along with the underlined or bold text for NPCs if you wanted everyone to use the same system, but I'll stick with my way.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

It's not simply directed thoughts he uses it for. The idea for using them as such came from my noticing Valerio uses them.

Besides, it's only an idea. I'd encourage everyone to stick with what they're used to. We're meant to read the posts to know what they say, so of course it's first and foremost that it's worded to say as such. Caution spawned the system originally if I remember correctly, to help with reading a little more accurately by way of visual aid.
Love me right now! Done.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Although, I'm pretty certain, unless it's otherwise stated in their skill set, that every day pets just can't think to one another whenever they want. ;)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

xhunterko wrote:Although, I'm pretty certain, unless it's otherwise stated in their skill set, that every day pets just can't think to one another whenever they want. ;)
Yeah. I'm pretty positive that that's the way it is.

Mickey and Hyper, it's great to see you two enjoying the RP so much, but do you think you could please slow down a little to give others a chance to enjoy it too? Cheers. :)

I'm just waiting for Leaf before I post again, if anyone is waiting for me.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Sure, Mr. Roo!
My characters!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

sorry for the low post rate recently guys , I'm in the middle of an internship now so everything is a tiny bit hectic , that , and I'm kinda unable to decide whether to have Serenade come and help calm Lyn down , or wait for Duke and/or Rena to reply first ^^"
ascdren

Post by ascdren »

Erm hi,

Was just wondering if their where any open slots in the RP as I have an Idea for a character and feel applegate would be the perfect place for him.
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Hey there guys! Guess who's back and willing to rejoin!
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

both of you can submit character sheets here for approval whenever you can.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

The Moon Howler wrote:Hey there guys! Guess who's back and willing to rejoin!
Moon Howler ! welcome back ! it's been so long ! :D
The Moon Howler

Yes, yes it was, serence. But I am back and ready to rock and roll!
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

My RP Characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

hooray ! :D
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

The Moon Howler wrote:Hey there guys! Guess who's back and willing to rejoin!
Is it Spongebob? It's gotta be Spongebob right?

Jk. XD
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
The Moon Howler

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:both of you can submit character sheets here for approval whenever you can.
Character sheet wanted - character sheet submitted. May the awesomeness begin!

Name: Martin

Neighborhood: ...

Species: East-European Shepherd / gray wolf

Backstory:
Adventurer in heart, Martin lived his life the best he could, once he was still a pet. But those time were very short for this unfortunate pup.
At the age of 4 (pet) he was left all alone, due to various circumstances (including his owner’s demise). He wandered aimlessly for a while until he met a wise old wolf mystic, who took him under his wing for a while. During that time and after the old wolf found the pup’s affinity to magic, he taught young Martin a good deal about magic. The pup learned eagerly, finding new reason to go on.
Sadly, after about an year (human) The old wolf told Martin that it was his (the wolf’s) time to become one with the forest and sent the young male to another mystic, giving him a magical scroll that would help him in his studies. From that point on, Martin visited several other mystics, magicians and priests in order to become an adept in the arts – and each of them put something in the scroll to help the young male on his journey.
However, fate had more in store with him - during the time with his last teacher (17 pet), he ended up in a fight with a group of demons. When things looked grim, his teacher broken and defeated and a more-powerful demon grabbing his right arm (and scarring him for life), a Coyote dressed in magician vest, top hat and mantle in black and purple and wielding a sword (made of crystal) interfered and defeated the demons singlehandedly.
The stranger only presented himself as a demon hunter aiding allies. Sadly he was too late for the master, but at least he managed to stop the demon scarring magic on Martin (to where it is now), isolating it and giving him a magical runed bandage to wrap around the scar in order to hide it. The young half-wolf also received a special scroll tube to keep his scroll safe (which the demon hunter updated on his own) and a special necklace (a small diamond on a piece of silver chain), as well as instructions on how to avoid demonic attention from now on.
From that moment on, Martin traveled around the country, avoiding big cities, joining various small festivities in order to gain some money with cheap trickery and magician tricks, which he spent in small towns to get food and/or materials (if such were present). In his travels he ended up fighting a crazed voodoo-shaman from whom he took another necklace (with teeth on it).
His latest destination ended up being the small community called Applegate, where he decided to take some rest or even eventually settle if the conditions allow it.

Personality:
Currently, Martin is relatively talkative, though he lacked for a short time after his owner’s demise. When in public, he usually acts as the well-mannered gentle-dog(/wolf/wolfdog?). When in act, his behavior on stage is just as flawless as that of every other magician.
He’s usually calm and well balanced when it comes to expressing himself, especially to people.
With his line of work, he learned how to be nice and polite to strangers and clients as well as to never judge others hastily.
He used to sing well and play on guitars and piano, but never did it ever since his encounter with the demons.

Appearance:
He has the fur-pattern of an East European shepherd, yet his body is one of a wolf. He’s around 1,65 m high (5 ft 5). His mane is black.
His left is sky-blue and his right one is red (due to the demon scarring). He wears a black leather eye-patch above the red eye.
His right ear is slightly scarred as well, but that does not interfere with his hearing. On his left ear, he has 3 silver earrings.
A few luck charms, beads and feathers hang from his mane. On his neck he carries the small diamond on a silver chain and another necklace made out various canines, connected by a thin but strong (probably enchanted) rope.
On his right hand (from the wrist to the elbow) he carries a bandage, covered in runes that he never takes off in public.
He usually wears a brown leather vest (no zipper/buttons) with a lot of pockets (filled with all kinds of things, including a wallet) and chants and wards inscribed all over it.
When he's to go on stage, he wears a sleeveless white shirt and a black magician vest, which he always keeps in pristine condition.
He also carries a backpack in which he keeps food (long-lasting stuff only. Water included), camp equipment (small 1-man tent, camping mat, sleeping bag), soap and some other stuff to keep his personal hygiene on a good level*, a scroll tube and various ingredients, as well as an enchanted magic tomahawk to protect himself with.

Strengths and Weaknesses:
S - very trustworthy and loyal friend, once you earn his respect
W - very protective over his past; Sometime his accent can look like Jamaican; Too headstrong at moments.

Other notes:
=> He's skilled in the art of surviving
=> He has a small first aid kit as well as a few healing salves
=> He’s training in a few forms of armed and unarmed combat from an ancient, almost forgotten (yet effective) battle-style aside from his still going magic studies.
=> He can play on guitars and piano and can also sing, but haven't been doing it for a while.
=> The magical scroll now serves as his teacher. Martin knows what they put in it and can ask the scroll to show what he wants to learn/practice.**

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
Strength - 7
Perception - 5
Endurance - 6
Charisma - 6
Intelligence - 7
Agility - 6
Luck – 5

Color - #8000FF if possible

* Specifically for you, Leafy
* Yes, that includes both magical studies and combat teachings
EDIT: Changed to comply with the restrictions.
Last edited by The Moon Howler on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

My RP Characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

anyone have any objections to or suggestions for this character?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well, the neighbourhood is Applegate, not BPS for a start. :P

Overall it looks like a good character. The only thing I'm unsure about is the level of magic. I know in the past you've wanted to limit the magic here somewhat, Brent, so it just depends how much you want to allow. That's up to you as GM though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Moon Howler

Hlaoroo wrote:Well, the neighbourhood is Applegate, not BPS for a start. :P

Overall it looks like a good character. The only thing I'm unsure about is the level of magic. I know in the past you've wanted to limit the magic here somewhat, Brent, so it just depends how much you want to allow. That's up to you as GM though.
I think I have to step in here and explain - the fact that he's able to wield magic doesn't mean he'll be constantly throwing fire-balls or summoning minions and familiars left and right for the kicks. The way I see him, he'll be that slightly secretive guy who know how to mix herbs and other stuff into useful salves , concoctions and powders (a.k.a a herbalist), likes to experiment with alchemy and knows about and may at some occasions use little magic, but knows his boundaries.
I my last discussion with Brent before posting the ch.sheet, I told him that unless forced in some way, Martin will usually go with his entertainment magic (carnival magicians and such) gig in public.

Also, about the "demonic scarred hand" and the "red eye", those are merely a would and the result from the said wound (or is it?). As seen in the appearance, he hides both.

My RP Characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I understand.. But the fact is, he's capable of far more than the average pet with a few weak innate abilities. Still, if Brent's happy then I am. :) It might be fun to have a pet who can hold his own against the ghosts. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

oh I see you've decided to rejoin us with a new character instead of returning to the brothers
Anyway , he seems like an interesting character to me , so I guess I have no objection :)
wonder how he would react when he eventually meets Serenade :)