ATTENTION! MULTILINGUAL SITE SUPPORT COMING

Because there are many

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

rickgriffin
Site Admin

ATTENTION! MULTILINGUAL SITE SUPPORT COMING

Post by rickgriffin »

Hey guys! Im working on upgrading the site to Wordpress 3 as well as changing out Comicpress for Comic Easel. Among a host of new things I can add, one is multilingual support.

I'm not sure entirely how it will function yet as I still need to figure out the new plugin things, but basically for every post there ought to be a switch that changes it to another language. So! This will not exist without your guys' help, so if you want to help expand the international user base of Housepets, this is what I will need--
  • Your email address. I'll start providing blank version of comics to the people who are volunteering for the translation. As these will be official-but-unprofessional translations they don't need to be any larger than web size (they won't be used for print, only the site)
  • The comic needs to be saved as a PNG in order to retain transparency alpha. Don't add the title or alt text to the image itself. If you're absolutely unable to retain the transparency alpha, that's fine; just make sure that the image has a flat white background instead with no artifacts.
  • The font I use for the comic is Webletterer BB. While it's not required that you use this same font, it will help coherency if you're translating into a language that also uses the Roman alphabet. (or, more likely, the Pro version).
  • You can add "Translated by" next to my name at the bottom of the comic
  • If you want, provide the translated titles for the comics and possibly the alt text.
So, who is up for this?
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
kurowolfe

Re: ATTENTION! MULTILINGUAL SITE SUPPORT COMING

Post by kurowolfe »

I'm up for it, for the Malay/Bahasa Melayu translations!
Maybe this will motivate me to finish up the project that I have started but have never completed before. And I'm sure other Malaysians will appreciate the humor this comic has, though I will need to translate them properly so that the punchline gets through.

I can forsee valerio signing up for Italian too ^^

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i'm in too, for the Bahasa Indonesia translation
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Gren

Post by Gren »

wow, this is great news!

I'll be glad to help with the spanish translations. :D
Until now, I've been translating this comic and reached the arc "dogs days of summer", so you could say I'm halfway. :lol:
I have no problem in save images as PNG, in fact I have been doing this thus far.
About the font, I've been using New Wild Words for correct use of punctuation, because Webletter BB not bring all necessary symbols used in Spanish.
As you say, I have been placing the title and alt text within the image, however I have saved all the PSD so I can easily fix and re-upload.

Of course I am not a biligual speaker, but at least I can promise that I will give my best to keep the translations as accurate as possible, conserve the jokes and give meaning to words or phrases that have no literal translation into Spanish (like the "gasp").
Besides, I have a lot of help of my friends here whenever I get stuck in the translation, so you could say that these translations are made between all.

The first two arcs was made by Profesor Rod and saved as JPG, so I going to have to re-do this two and saved as PNG and incidentally I can use the same font that I've been using in the rest of the comics.

Well, that's all. I hope to be helpful ;)

P.S.: Oh geez, I have been using the fan colored versions, that's going to be a problem?
ImageImage
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Gren wrote: P.S.: Oh geez, I have been using the fan colored versions, that's going to be a problem?
I don't think so, though the changeover might be jarring when jumping between versions; I'd prefer them in their original colors.
Gren

Post by Gren »

rickgriffin wrote:
Gren wrote: P.S.: Oh geez, I have been using the fan colored versions, that's going to be a problem?
I don't think so, though the changeover might be jarring when jumping between versions; I'd prefer them in their original colors.
Okay then, I going to re-do the first eleven arcs, though since I have all the PSD it's going to be really easy (copy-paste you can say :lol: )
ImageImage
miguelsc

Post by miguelsc »

That's great news because it will help rickgriffin many translators. but I think the initial pages are colored well I like to just say that because some people like like me.
I hope my comments do not mind and I say housepets is your best creation. :mrgreen:
miguelsc

Post by miguelsc »

Sorry for the previous mesaje keyboard'm bad writing, what I meant was:
That is great news because it will help translators muchos.rickgriffin But I think the first few pages are colored also like to say that just because some people like like me.
I hope my comments do not mind and I say this is his best creation housepets.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, I'm all for it!
It also means that I'll have to re-work 99% of the stuff so that there is no add-on as I did so far.
But, Rick, for several in-jokes and puns I'll have to pester you so that the new translation will be acceptable (meaning: I'll ask you what do you mean by a certain pun/reference on a need-to-know basis)

my email addy is [email protected]
Gren

Post by Gren »

Hi again, I have a few questions:

1- How we should give you the translated comics? Send it via email or PM you or just posting it in the respective translation topic?

2- The first arcs have white borders around the panels. we should delete it or leave it alone?

3- Sometimes I do explanatory notes in the edges of the strips (especially when I keep the original concept, like "yarn ball" etc), so my question is, since you want clean edges, there's some place where you can add these notes? I dunno, below the title for example?

4- I been translating the bonuses comics and the introduction comics. These going to be used in the webpage too?

5- you have planned translate all the text, buttons and titles arcs of the webpage? I can help with that too
ImageImage
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Well right now it might still be a while. I thought it had already been implemented but apparently it's only on the cusp of proper implementation.

The idea is to have the user select a language and then it remain persistent until they select another language, or jump over to English if the current language is not available for a given comic. WPML (Wordpress Multilingual) does not apparently automatically categorize navigation by language; it will jump between languages no matter what they are in the order they are posted, not based on what order the "base language" is in.

There's an almost fix for this, which is to group all languages into their own categories, but it's kind of clunky. Right now I'm also trying to determine if a server-side fix for this will work, which will only return lists of posts so long as they're in the selected language OR English.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Gren wrote:Hi again, I have a few questions:

1- How we should give you the translated comics? Send it via email or PM you or just posting it in the respective translation topic?
I'll be putting together a mailing list sort of thing when I'm ready
2- The first arcs have white borders around the panels. we should delete it or leave it alone?
It's fine if it stays, getting rid of it would leave jagged edges

3- Sometimes I do explanatory notes in the edges of the strips (especially when I keep the original concept, like "yarn ball" etc), so my question is, since you want clean edges, there's some place where you can add these notes? I dunno, below the title for example?
Translation notes are fine, put them where you feel appropriate, ideally away from the artwork.

4- I been translating the bonuses comics and the introduction comics. These going to be used in the webpage too?
I don't think I'll be doing that, just getting the archives arranged is the task for now.

5- you have planned translate all the text, buttons and titles arcs of the webpage? I can help with that too
As far as I can tell, all texts can be translated including titles and alt texts. I might be able to change the nav buttons to their respective languages. If I need anything else translated I'll ask for it either here or over the mailing list.
valerio

Post by valerio »

awesome!
Gren

Post by Gren »

thanks for replying

It's a shame it can't be done right now, but I'll be looking forward eagerly :D
ImageImage
Philip-Soh

Post by Philip-Soh »

I'm up for it! for the Korean translations! Thanks for MULTILINGUAL SITE SUPPORT!

[email protected] / [email protected]
Last edited by Philip-Soh on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Not Copycat and Not Bad-Second!
My Korean Translation Topic is Not duplication!
I was Translate Housepets to Korean since 2008.

Korean Translation in my Blog - Here
Korean Translation in Forum - Here
DeviantArt Account - Here
FurAffinity Account - Here
valerio

Post by valerio »

Dreamingcat

Post by Dreamingcat »

that's great, it'll be easier advertising if there's an official multilingual site
and i'm up to the Traditional Chinese translations:)

[email protected]
yanmaoption

Post by yanmaoption »

Just saw this and decided not to lurk for the first time. This is great news. I've been sitting on my Thai translation for a long time; never put them on the strips or posted them online before. I've translated up to Down at the Farm arc with a few exceptions and I hope to bring it to the recent ones. This announcement really motivates me to do that.

Here's my email. [email protected]
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

here's my email too [email protected]
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

I'm up to Portuguese Brasilian translations.

I'm so excited about this news. I can't wait to see this thing happen.

Like Gren said, my translations are in Halfway too. There's some strips that I didn't translated yet and I did a huge pause in the translations, but I'll try to correct that.

Here's my e-mail: [email protected]
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

I have a question:

When you said,
rickgriffin wrote:[*]You can add "Translated by" next to my name at the bottom of the comic
Then we have to put "Translated by" in English or in the translated language?
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
kryote

Post by kryote »

I think for month, I would like to up to the Traditional Chinese translations,too. OWO
[email protected]
Lumen

Post by Lumen »

I'm up for translations in Spanish.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

I don't know if this topic is still up to date... but if yes: I'm up to German translations :)

Here's my e-mail: [email protected]
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Hi, guys. I want to remove my application to translate to Portuguese Brasilian. I'm quitting of translating the comic.

In this post, explain why:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 68#p437168

A good day to you.
Thialyth

Post by Thialyth »

...so, where is the translations page?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

As of yet, multilingual support has not been implemented. I believe the update did not offer quite as much as Rick initially thought it would. Thus we are still using this section of the forums to host translations. There are a few active translations here, and many that have been abandoned. Feel free to add your mark if you choose ;)
ds-al-coda

Post by ds-al-coda »

yanmaoption wrote:Just saw this and decided not to lurk for the first time. This is great news. I've been sitting on my Thai translation for a long time; never put them on the strips or posted them online before. I've translated up to Down at the Farm arc with a few exceptions and I hope to bring it to the recent ones. This announcement really motivates me to do that.

Here's my email. [email protected]
Is this guy still around? If not, I'd like to take over for Thai translations, hehe.

If you need my email address, it's [email protected]
translation thread here
tumblr here

i've been away for too long, expect something soon.
raphathunderwolf

Post by raphathunderwolf »

Hi good afternoon, my name is Raphael, i began to read your comic does little time and enjoyed already much, i was wondering if i could translate the comic of English for the language Portuguese Brazilian because i live in Brazil then i wanted to translate this comic for many of the people can follow your comic, because from what I've seen so has this comic in certain forums more is not in accordance with the order of your comics, some randomly i wanted to translate them according to your website. Therefore when I was following the Mctwisp was translating the comic after a while he had to stop of translating so I wanted to resuming the translation of this comic because I was reading it, but after that I saw that were missing many arcs I ended up think that I could translate so I would be very happy if you allowing of continuing your comic. Thank you for listening, I hope to translate this comic housepets ^^. Hope your reply anxiously.

Here's my email: [email protected]
valerio

Post by valerio »

raphathunderwolf wrote:Hi good afternoon, my name is Raphael, i began to read your comic does little time and enjoyed already much, i was wondering if i could translate the comic of English for the language Portuguese Brazilian because i live in Brazil then i wanted to translate this comic for many of the people can follow your comic, because from what I've seen so has this comic in certain forums more is not in accordance with the order of your comics, some randomly i wanted to translate them according to your website. Therefore when I was following the Mctwisp was translating the comic after a while he had to stop of translating so I wanted to resuming the translation of this comic because I was reading it, but after that I saw that were missing many arcs I ended up think that I could translate so I would be very happy if you allowing of continuing your comic. Thank you for listening, I hope to translate this comic housepets ^^. Hope your reply anxiously.

Here's my email: [email protected]
Hello!
If you want to follow a more precise order, which includes the guest strips and the fancomics as well, please go to my own translations thread
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=2987
it should help you getting yourself organized^^
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hello Raphael,

You are more than welcome to continue the translation :D
Hope to see you around
raphathunderwolf

Thank valerio more I already have already separated into folders each comic theme of many thanks for your help I had already organized around the theme, I was wondering if I can put the comic translated into a forum for others to see this comic . wanted to know if I have the allowing so I can put in another forum thank you.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Do you mean that you want to open another thread on this forum for the translations? Then I would suggest continuing on the thread where Mctwisp left off. I can help make accommodations if necessary. ;)
Or
Do you mean that you want to put the translations on a different forum? This is fine provided Rick is fully attributed on his comics ;)
raphathunderwolf

Yes, the comic in general is with the name of Rick underneath like the original so I was doing the order also of Rick website then wanted to know if I can even put in another forum thank you. And thank you for the answer quickly because I was looking for the Rick by sending messages to more than 1 week and was not having return.
raphathunderwolf

Hi, good afternoon I came back here to ask which would be the best font for use in the comic translation, I know this question at this point of the championship but I'm translating the comic with the comic sans font has some problem? And which other type of font that you recommend, because I searched on the internet the font weblettererbb is paid and to download the quality of the font is bad so wanted to know which another font you recommend. Thanks a lot
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hi again!
The Spanish forum uses the free version of Webletterer BB for most of the translation. They use Komika Hands for letters with accents. I have also used the free version of Webletterer BB, and I didn't notice any issues with the quality. If you can't find a download with good quality for Webletterer BB, I think Komika Hands is a good substitute.
raphathunderwolf

Good afternoon another thing I wanted to know how does I do for receive the comic with empty talk so I can translate them? would be much better and would save time I manages to come translate much more fast too. Thank you and sorry for asking so many questions.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You should have to apologize for asking too many questions. Knowledge is power and you can only gain that by questioning everything!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

No need to apologize. I enjoy helping. It's why I'm a moderator :D

Currently the only way to get the comics without text would be for Rick to send them to you directly. That would be extra work for him. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to remove the text, and I know that can be a nuisance, but I hope you can bear with it. We do have some comic strips with no words here, and in particular, it has most of the Spot (superdog) comics which are hardest to remove the text from. If you have a comic strip that is hard for you to remove the text from, let us know in that thread, and someone will probably make it in a day or two. ;)
raphathunderwolf

Hi again, thank you for this help this already will greatly facilitate the translation, something that would be perfect if it had all arcs Spot because of the hard work so that it can remove all lines and after redo the lines and translate. Well I said I wanted to put the comic in one fórum but really thought best create a blog a while ago I've been translating certain comic arcs the blog link is this: https://www.housepetscomicbr.blogspot.com.br/
if they want to take a look okay. Many thanks again.