any musicians?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Turkledurk

any musicians?

Post by Turkledurk »

I'm marching my rookie year of drum and bugle corps, and I was curious if any other people here play/sing professionally or semi professionally. I play tuba, and marching battery. I also plan to be a member of the Bluecoats drum corps next summer. (if anyone wants to know what drum corps is, just ask and I can show you... a whole new world) *breaks into a Disney musical number*
Cincinnati Tradition Contrabass 2014
"Hey guys look at the" *(insert what everyone is already looking at here)*!!!
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Re: any musicians?

Post by ArcWolf »

I used to be a band geek!

Tromboooooooone!

I also bought an Ocarina last year.
Just an Arc
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet is rather musically inclined and performs with a couple of St. Louis-area bands. :3

I have no musical talent whatever. *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I used to be in marching band. I never joined a drum corps but I probably could have. I was a pretty great marimbist!

Nowadays I mostly play keyboards, bass and drum set as needed in small-time venues. The band I play in (as well as my church band) I play bass, though just two weeks ago I filled in as the drummer in church, and I play keyboards with my non-church band when we need synth work done that's more complicated than basic piano stuff. I also am trying my paw at producing EDM but it's a slow process. I've still got a ton to learn.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Turkledurk

Post by Turkledurk »

I've thought about playing Bass. I just keep putting it off because I don't have the time, or the money.... I also played trombone once, but it was in 5th grade and I was like 3 feet tall... that didnt help either...
Deske

Post by Deske »

I play the trumpet. I've been in band since 5th grade and marching band since 9th. I'll be a senior. Not taking band this year though, unfortunately it clashes heavily with my schedule. It's sad, but I guess it's necessary. :(
Turkledurk

Post by Turkledurk »

Deske wrote:I play the trumpet. I've been in band since 5th grade and marching band since 9th. I'll be a senior. Not taking band this year though, unfortunately it clashes heavily with my schedule. It's sad, but I guess it's necessary. :(
I'm sorry to hear that. I suppose other people want to do other things.. I want to go to school for music education, so I plan to cadet teach this year (I'm also going to be a senior) there's always stuff like community band or all age drum corps for the future... if you want to continue in your spare time...
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I dabbled a bit with a bass guitar this past year. I haven't picked it up enough since summer started. I need to replace some strings after I donate plasma tomorrow and get some cash. At the height of my bass playing I knew a couple misfits songs and half of smells like teen spirit. So I'm pretty much already a punk legend :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I play trumpet for the marching band, I am currently learning guitar, and I do lead vocals for a mixed-genre band a few friends and I made a while back. (We do a variety of music, including many covers of other bands and some original stuff made by ourselves. We mainly do thrash and death metal)
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Deske

Post by Deske »

Turkledurk wrote: I'm sorry to hear that. I suppose other people want to do other things.. I want to go to school for music education, so I plan to cadet teach this year (I'm also going to be a senior) there's always stuff like community band or all age drum corps for the future... if you want to continue in your spare time...
I know, and if I do ever plan on getting back in, I might just take something like that up. The only problem is if I will have spare time. But that can be worked out later.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

SergeiTheFox wrote:I play trumpet for the marching band, I am currently learning guitar, and I do lead vocals for a mixed-genre band a few friends and I made a while back. (We do a variety of music, including many covers of other bands and some original stuff made by ourselves. We mainly do thrash and death metal)
Dude, that's awesome. How long have you been in the metal band?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I play guitar as well. Played Ukulele once. Is it me or does Rocksmith 2014 don't seem to notice low notes at times?
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Seth wrote:
SergeiTheFox wrote:I play trumpet for the marching band, I am currently learning guitar, and I do lead vocals for a mixed-genre band a few friends and I made a while back. (We do a variety of music, including many covers of other bands and some original stuff made by ourselves. We mainly do thrash and death metal)
Dude, that's awesome. How long have you been in the metal band?
3 years maybe? I was about 12 when I started it and I could sing death metal a lot easier, but it took more of a toll on my voice than I thought it would. We started out covering bands like Slipknot, Scar Symmetry, etc., but now we go more towards Megadeth, Sonata Arctica, and most often power metal bands
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Does being a member of the university choir team as a tenor and eventually a student trainer count? ;p

Besides that, I can play the gambang (wooden xylophone of sorts) in a gamelan ensemble, and tried playing the trombone for extracurricular credit.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
ThatOnePanda
Location: .....um THE MAGICAL LAND OF CANADA.....lol jk I'm from Texas...

Post by ThatOnePanda »

I'm in marching band right now XD

I play the Euphonium ....aka the baritone

Only girl in my section
~Rawr....I'm a Panda~
My Rp Characters
Turkledurk

Post by Turkledurk »

kurowolfe wrote:Does being a member of the university choir team as a tenor and eventually a student trainer count? ;p
Yes!
SergeiTheFox wrote:3 years maybe? I was about 12 when I started it and I could sing death metal a lot easier, but it took more of a toll on my voice than I thought it would. We started out covering bands like Slipknot, Scar Symmetry, etc., but now we go more towards Megadeth, Sonata Arctica, and most often power metal bands
I'm sorry I have no idea what you're talking about XD. maybe someday I'll understand!...
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Turkledurk wrote:
kurowolfe wrote:Does being a member of the university choir team as a tenor and eventually a student trainer count? ;p
Yes!
SergeiTheFox wrote:3 years maybe? I was about 12 when I started it and I could sing death metal a lot easier, but it took more of a toll on my voice than I thought it would. We started out covering bands like Slipknot, Scar Symmetry, etc., but now we go more towards Megadeth, Sonata Arctica, and most often power metal bands
I'm sorry I have no idea what you're talking about XD. maybe someday I'll understand!...
Seth asked me a few posts up how long I had been in a metal band
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

Turkledurk

Post by Turkledurk »

SergeiTheFox wrote:Seth asked me a few posts up how long I had been in a metal band
Sorry XD, what I meant was I know nothing about the genres of music you're discussing, I suppose I should broaden my horizons and listen to some of this someday...
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sergei your band sounds cool and I'm jealous :p
Turkledurk wrote:
SergeiTheFox wrote:Seth asked me a few posts up how long I had been in a metal band
Sorry XD, what I meant was I know nothing about the genres of music you're discussing, I suppose I should broaden my horizons and listen to some of this someday...
That's a good way to look at music. I wish I would have realized that earlier in life. I spent way too many years with a narrow musical taste. But lately I've been more open minded. I've been getting pretty into musicals this summer because I work with a theatre major. I never thought that would happen. Progress I guess....
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was in a progressive rock/funk rock trio that could only jam. None of us could write songs, so we got frustrated and broke up. It was sad. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Who needs to write songs when you're too busy progging?
Just an Arc
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Honestly, being in a band isn't as great as some think it to be. Yes, it is fun, but it is also taxing on your body (well, only if you aren't the drummer :lol: ). One of the necessities of heavy metal is head banging and that can hurt after doing it for a long time. It has been very taxing on my voice too. I used to be able to sing some stuff by Queen and Europe, but it got a lot harder after nearly a year of almost non-stop death metal/thrash coverings. I actually had to stop singing for about a month because when I wasn't using the voice I use for the songs I had done that year, little to no sound would come out of my mouth
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, damaging your vocal chords is never a good idea. You might get that looked into.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I did get it looked into. I was told that I shouldn't sing or speak much for about two weeks to let my vocal chords rest and to make sure I wouldn't cause any permanent damage to them. That is why I took a month off from the band. The excessive death metal was back in 2012 though and I got the diagnosis in early 2013. Since then, we have been doing mainly power metal instead of death metal
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'm an out-of-practise saxophonist. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I'm a Barbershop Tenor/Baritone (depending on what's needed) and I play French Horn for my church. :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ArcWolf wrote:Who needs to write songs when you're too busy progging?
It's not exactly the type of music that can be played on the fly without writing.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

I know a couple of King Crimson songs were improvised.

Starless and Bible Black was actually just an edit of an improvisation.

Weather Report used similar philosophies when improvising, though they would be more Jazz Rock than prog.

The Mars Volta also does a lot of improvising, though that's almost always on the verge of jamming.
Just an Arc
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not interested in playing anything like Moonchild. :P Weather Report is straight-up fusion. And The Mars Volta still writes, they just also improvise.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Well yeah, but a lot of their jams became songs.
The most famous example being Abortion: the Other White Meat.

I'm just sayin' it's possible.
Just an Arc
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

But to turn jams into songs, you must first be able to write.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I'm gonna have to side with Sleet on that one. Without being able to write, you basically have nonsense with with some background noise
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Oooooh.
Got me there.
Just an Arc
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I was in a piano class for 3 years, haven't been since summer started though. I still know how to play it.

I was also in a voice class for 2 years, so I can sing too.
Deske

Post by Deske »

dtlux1 wrote:I was in a piano class for 3 years, haven't been since summer started though. I still know how to play it.

I was also in a voice class for 2 years, so I can sing too.
I took piano lessons for a few years, maybe 3 to 5...I don't really remember. I really really liked it, but then something happened and it just started becoming a chore, I got frustrated really easily with it. It wasn't fun anymore. I quit maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I still don't know what to feel about that decision.
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

I played piano for a year, guitar for a year, an awkward moment trying to learn trumpet, trombone for 4 years, and now I'm playing ukulele for a year and still going. I also like to sing and to rock out with kazoos.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I've played alto saxophone for the past ten years. I'm way out of practise though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Father used to be in a band playing drums before I was born and he also played bass. My sister plays a guitar.

I have no musical talent whatsoever.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I used to play the cornet and the baritone. Haven't played since middle school, though. :(
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So a couple days ago my band leader dissolved the band. And I don't know why. :/