Project Thread: Babylon Gardens World and Peanut Companion

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Project Thread: Babylon Gardens World and Peanut Compani

Post by D-Rock »

Making them split up seems like fighting a room full of big ones would quickly be hectic.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

That's the idea. :twisted:
ALSO! Lucy from Bittersweet Candy Bowl was just announced as a companion here: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -435142838
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And never heard of her, but I feel like I've seen that comic name in a banner for another webcomic. Well, that seems to be how most others discover new ones. Also, regarding the spear, will each one be upgradeable, will each have certain abilities to them, or are they just a progression of strength each time you get one?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

The spears will be special in their own way, and not just an increase in power each time you get one. This way, one is never too much stronger than the other (though it can't be helped that some that you get later on will be stronger than another, not to mention super secret ones or ones you get from secret bosses). For example, the spear from the TK world could give you more HP based on trace's stats, the one from the HP! world could give you more MP because of Peanut's stats, the one from the S&W world could give you more attack because of Cloud's stats, ect.
And as you said, certain spears may have unique abilities or magic spells attached to them. As for upgrading, I might implement that into the game, seeing that I have another game play feature that I won't mention planned. ;)
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I want to guess that weapons also level up as they're used, but I'll wait for the official reveal.
And another question, will the weapons each have their own design, or will they appear the same in the overworld? As in, regardless of what kind of spear is equipped it'll still look like a normal spear. I understand that making all of those different weapon designs would be a lot of work, but I'm just curious.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

At the moment, the weapon's look the same no matter what (except for peanuts). I plan on making sprites for when you equip different weapons, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :)
As for the weapons leveling up, it will not be through the use of the weapon. It will probably go along the lines of the upgrading system.
ImageImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

FYI, Cheetah Kid from my web comic... Cheetah Kid! was re announced with more information AND Bud, Autumn, Tiffany, and Jacob from the web comic Precocious where announced to be in the stoty!
http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -437613851
ImageImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

FYI Mace from the web comic/graphic novel Dreamkeepers was announced to be a companion!
http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -440932733
ImageImageImageImage
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

The new graphics are nice, I like them. I've never really heard of Mace, perhaps I'll check the comic out for some background info.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Did you custom sprite these yourself?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Yep! This is a style of sprites that I created on my own, I felt that the usual 32 x 32 sprites couldn't capture the different art styles of each web comic character (this can be seen best with the shading, eye shapes, and body of the characters).
ImageImageImageImage
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Wow that's amazing.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Yep, that's why each update takes around two weeks :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Which, for a fan made game where your also in education and such is pretty darn good. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

He, is anyone from Strays going to be in this game?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I haven't read the comic, so I cannot be sure. However, since you have brought it to my attention I might take the time to read it. Thank you for your suggestion. :)
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

No problem! :D
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Question regarding the main character; what kind of world will he come from?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Sorry, I can't say much about the main character or their world, as it is a major part to the story. That does not mean that it's so important that it would spoil everything, but I'd like to keep anything that doesn't directly involve the web comic characters to a low.
However, after all the companions are revealed, I will begin to reveal the main character more. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ZeroTheFated

Post by ZeroTheFated »

I love the idea of Housepets being a RPG game. But I have a question. You said that this game would be like a action RPG such as Kingdom Hearts, which is certainly my favorite game series of all time, so that begs the question...the battle system? Are the battles going to be like they are in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories or more turn base much like the Final Fantasy series, with the exception of Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Lighting Returns?

I know I said I had one but something came to mind while I was looking at the recent pics that you had. Are you using RPG maker or another program?
I Am Someone...
Someone who lives...
Someone who loves...
Someone You Can Trust...
I Am That Little Speck of DARKNESS to HELP YOU See Through The Brightest Light...
I Am Your Eternal Friend!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

So far, the gameplay is going to be exactly like kingdom hearts, except top down. I've thought about making it like chain of memories, but that will only be if I can't figure out how to make the combo system work. Now if I can't figure out how to do that, then it will be like Final Fantasy 13. That was the original intention for the battle system of the game, but after I learned that the game making engine I'm using didn't require turn based combat (the 001 Engine), I decided I would work around making it an action RPG.
I personally didn't like the RPG Maker engine when I used it, then again that was just the free trial. I might go back to it one day, but not just yet.
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sounds like Legend of Zelda with Zelda 2 RPG elements.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I haven't played the second game, but I've played a couple of them before. So yeah, one could say that. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Movement in the map is like Zelda, but once a battle starts you go to a side view and have to leave that area before you can move around the map again. It becomes a matter of avoiding every conceivable fight that isn't near a town. Quite unlike most other Zelda games. :lol:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh wow that is different. That sounds very similar to the KH: Chain of Memories combat style. In that case, the game will most likely not be like that. Mainly because you will have either two or three companions with you at once (normally two and on rare occasions three) which would make that combat system very complicated for five reasons:
1) It would be very hard to avoid enemies with more than one person in the party.
2) The screen would become too cluttered and may cause lag.
3) The fights would be too easy, which would mean there would need to be more enemies, which again would cause screen cluttering.
4) Boss fights with very large enemies would become very simplified (for example: The second part of Pete's boss fight on the U&U table).
5) Dynamic/Special boss fights would also be simplified (for example: The boss fight against Trace's evil dragon [I will not say how it is dynamic, just know that it is ;) ]
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I recall some games that had bad lag because of the amount of enemies. It looked cool if you do the right moves, though, like acrobatic techniques, but for the most part it really hurt the experience.

If you can, you should try out Zelda 2. Get it on NES, GBA, or Virtual Console, it was pretty good for what it was, but insanely hard. And almost as cryptic as Castlevania 2. Both are considered the black sheep of their respective franchises.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:So far, the gameplay is going to be exactly like kingdom hearts, except top down. I've thought about making it like chain of memories, but that will only be if I can't figure out how to make the combo system work. Now if I can't figure out how to do that, then it will be like Final Fantasy 13. That was the original intention for the battle system of the game, but after I learned that the game making engine I'm using didn't require turn based combat (the 001 Engine), I decided I would work around making it an action RPG.
I personally didn't like the RPG Maker engine when I used it, then again that was just the free trial. I might go back to it one day, but not just yet.
Wait so will there be a restriction on attacks like they have in Chain of Memories with the cards?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

No, the player can attack as much as they want, their only restriction so far is running out of MP for a certain character. All magic and abilities are learned via leveling up, buying, or being given them.
ImageImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

FYI, Freddy from Huckley's web comic Simon and Freddy was just announced as a companion and Mandy and Fox from their web comic Curtailed where just announced to be Merchants in Project Thread. http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -444157813
ImageImageImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I'm starting to read that comic actually, as people have been talking about it more recently and I have no idea what they are talking about, and I want to read it before I understand everything before reading it. :lol:
About how many characters are in the game now?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

There are seven companions so far. There is one more on the way after this, which would mean 8. And if you iclude the main character, that's 9 party members total. Have fun switching and swatching teams! :D
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, this is very early to ask, but will there be controller support? Playing with a keyboard isn't anywhere near as fun to me as a control, and my reflexes are rather slow as well.

If not, I am aware of programs that can alleviate that.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

From what I can see on the game engine I'm using (001 Engine), you can use a gamepad to play the game. I haven't been able to test it however, because I do not own a gamepad or an XBox controller. (though perhaps the DS3 tool works on this).
Also...

Lilith from the web comic Gaia was just announced as the last main companion (that is from a web comic). AND the main character and actual title will be revealed next week! Even more things and information here: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -449933265
ImageImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

The main character of the game was revealed a few hours ago! Along with some very important info regarding gameplay and the companions! Loads of info HERE: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -451644311
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

What webcomic is he from? Or is an OC just for the game?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

He is an OC.
ImageImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hey guys! sorry for not posting anything on the forums for a while, kinda forgot to :roll: . Anyway, there's a bunch of new concept and other info that was released in the past few weeks, a lot that might interest you guys.
New enemy concept:
Pete's 2nd Form Boss Battle Concept
This is a recent drawing I made to have an idea of how this boss fight would play out. It features Taylor, Peanut, Trace, and King (as a boss exclusive companion) fighting against multiple tricky spells that Pete casts. The fight takes place on the U&U table seen in the "Dog Days of Summer" arc in the Housepets! comic. This fight is probably one of my most anticipated boss fights to make, along with a few others, because of how distinct it is from other boss fights. There is one that still tops this one in my mind... anyway, I plan to get to coloring this soon. Also, some people have made me consider making exclusive companions playable after beating the game so maybe you'll get to play as King.
Taylor in a Sora Costume
As most of you know (or have probably guessed), Thread Bound is heavily inspired by the game Kingdom Hearts. Because of that, I designed a possible costume that resembles Sora's outfit, but in Taylor's palette. Whether or not I put this in the game is not set in stone, nor is the chance of me putting in the keyblade in the drawing in the game as a weapon for Taylor.
Peanut, Cloud, and Lucy's Final Fantasy Costumes
Much like the how I made a KH costume for Taylor, I made some designs for Final Fantasy outfits for some of the party members. The only ones I have drawn are Cloud's Cloud costume (what, expecting a Squall one?), Peanut's Wakka costume, and Lucy's Tifa costume. As I said for the Sora outfit, I am currently unsure if these outfits or weapons will be in the game.
First Cover Art Design
This was one of the first drawings I had made for Thread Bound before I decided to even make the game (about 8 months ago). These where the only characters I had planned for the game: Peanut, Trace, Cloud, Lucy, and Cheetah Kid... shows how many web comic I used to read :P . Fun fact: Peanut and Trace where supposed to be the only companions who could follow you through worlds. They and Taylor where the main three characters (again, you can see the strong influence of KH). Eventually, I decided that that would be unfair to the other web comics so I made them regular companions. ANOTHER FUN FACT: Because I thought of the fairness of web comics, I actually considered making Cheetah Kid a summon since I didn't want to make it seem like I was giving too much priority to my own comic. In replacement of his companion slot, I considered making Eyesight from Stu and Jojo's Housepets! fan comics Housepets! 1X and Eyesight. Eventually I made Cheetah Kid a companion again and made Eyesight a summon cuz that would technicaly be two Housepets! companions. It is very unlikely that this will be the final cover, considering that I've been thinking about other designs for the cover as of recently and there's only six of the main characters on it X3.
Here are the original posts:
http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -458667421
http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -457140462
ImageImageImageImage
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

OH MY GOSH THIS LOOKS FREAKING AWESOME!
I've been too busy with other stuff to check this, but WOAH!
Those enemies look cute AND creepy!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Thank you :D
Yeah, after drawing alot of these I noticed that if one where to fight these things they would be really freaked out. From what I can see while working on the ragdool, their sprites will be even creepier :lol:
Last edited by CHAOKOCartoons on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Yeah, good luck with the game!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.