Housepets! : The Pridelands Discussion Topic

Discuss the comic here
GameCobra

Housepets! : The Pridelands Discussion Topic

Post by GameCobra »

Hello all! Welcome to the Prideland topic.

This was a topic i thought of recently after seeing arcs, teasers and generally important information regarding the story within a story that it would be nice to create what would officially be called the "Pridelands" Topic. It's also of course a juicy part of some discussions and debates for some people and would be nice to have a topic to note and discuss since the Pridelands is for the most part fun to nitpick.

A general sypnosis of what Pridelands is in a 'real world' sense: The books themselves have been estimated to have been out for about 3 years based on Grape's information that she read the first book when she was a kitten. The Prideland series is an all-time favourite of the cat community of Babylon Garden; practically rounding up all cats in the neighbourhood, where most dogs shrug it off as 'just another book' (Feh!). The series at the moment has also released it's supposed first movie as well, promptly being titled after one of it's books "Hunters of The Prideland".

The General fame of the series is a reflection of sorts to other big-time popular media franchizes. Mainly Harry Potter, but can also attribute to some other ones such as Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dungeons and Dragons, World of Warcraft and Transformers. While it's not been stated yet how popular the series is at the moment merchandise-wise, it's presumed since it hit the big screen that it's not far off from being in other media devices as well.

With that being said, the fun part of talking about Pridelands is not only trying to figure it out, but trying to get more insight as to what the series is about. It can have a bigger impact than most people think, and discussing it can be just about as entertaining!

Here's a brief break-down of what was mentioned in the Book:

Characters:
Petir
Parnok
Kurok
Urath
Saso (Deceased)
Gapre (presumed to be fan-made by Grape)
Petir
King Cheetah
Jeijan
Queen Palier
Princess Illaya
Kintobe

Known Species in the series:
Lions
Hyenas
Cheetahs
Dragons (Hinted)

The Tribes:
Dragon Council
Hyenas
Dhier Order
Laughing Face
Spearbearers
The Illuminati
The Final Pride (Possibly Fictatious)

Story Myths and History:
The Prophecy
Social Hierarchy
The Conspiracy
The Marubian Eye

Known Zones/Villages:
Morodia
Deredes
Illystos

Small Tidbits:
The Mask of Fear
The Cape Dog
The Dragon Council's Ward

This section below will give a detailed analysis of what has happened in the world of Pridelands from the Prideland's timeline perspective, based on the books and information provided in the comic.

~~~PRIDELANDS TIMELINE:BEGINNING~~~
Hunters of the Pridelands - Petir discovers a threat and is insisting on waging war with them. It's assumed he's trying to put together a army to combat them called the Final Pride.

Fall of the Pridelands - The Laughing face,a tribe consisting of Hyenas, finds themselves betrayed and attacks Parnok's castle, which is assumed to also be the Spearbearer tribes home. Saso,who was the instigator of the betrayal, is discovered by Parnok and executed. It's also revealed that the Laughing Face are part of a conspiracy.
~~~~PRIDELANDS TIMELINE:FINISH~~~~

Listed Below here are known Books, Actors, Merchandise and interesting Facts based on the Prideland series:

Known Author:
Res (going by his author's name, Miss Auburn)

Known Books:
Hunters of the Pridelands
Glories of the Pridelands
Fall of the Pridelands
Prideland for Imbeciles
Unofficial/Official Pridelands Companion
Hope of the Pridelands

Known "Prideland" Actors:
Abasi Gatamu

Known Movies:
Hunters of the Pridelands
Pridelands 2

Known Merchandise:
Pride RPG
Prideland Halloween Costumes

Interesting Facts:
Adventures of the Pridelands - A Possible short story written by Peanut based on Spot saving Saso from dying. Whether this is the name of one of the books as well is debatable at the moment.
Grape's Fanfiction - It's noted in the Housepet world that Grape has been shown to write fanfiction about the series. Gapre is hinted to be her own character (Gapre = Grape) with a love interest in the series with Petir
Fall of the Pridelands - Page 15 - Noone knows what it is. but it's just. that. amazing.

~~~

As far as Topic Discussion rules go, i'll be personally updating this topic if something is brought to my attention. Any suggestions to improve this topic can be PMed to me if need be or posted!

And as a general rule of thumb:
-No Flaming
-No Trolling
-No Extensive off-topicness. This can vary, but i'll just note when it's going too far off topic =)

~~~

UPDATES - This page will update whenever a new piece of information is made in a comic and i can assure you now will be updated digilantly from now on. i will also add any major updates below here incase something seems a little off

Ex: March 23 2010 ~ My first major update. i added Links to the characters, Tribes and Events, added Tidbits, and added a Timeline-Event Guide.

April 7,2010 - Changed the topic discussion rules. anything prideland related can be discussed here now!
Last edited by GameCobra on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 32 times in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sinder

Re: Housepets! : The Pridelands Discussion Topic

Post by Sinder »

"Petir" is a character native to the series, but "Gapre" is almost certainly an invention of Grape's.
ImageImage
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Good call. never noticed that. *edit!*
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Is laughing face not affiliated with the hyenas?
But I kind of lose track at this time of day.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Grape asks Max if he believes the hyenas are affiliated with the Dhier Order; Max replies he read on the Internet that the Order and Laughing Face are the same thing.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Hey, cool, for being tired I was pretty much right. Yeah, since Grape asked about their affiliation and then Max replied with someone seemingly unrelated - like she asked about hyenas and the dhier order and he talked about laughing face and the dhier order - would suggest that the hyenas and laughing face (and according to the internet, the dhier order too) are the same thing.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

One must wonder though what part of the Internet Max gets his sources <3
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Max reads housepetscomic.com

oh god
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sinder wrote:Max reads housepetscomic.com

oh god
If he does I want him to post here.

MAX, SHOW THYSELF.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Looks like you caught me guys.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:Looks like you caught me guys.
Oh man, we are way too good at this.
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

I can't decide if these forums' degree of overanalysis is really impressive or kinda sad. o_o
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

you're just a panther what do you know he's PART OF THE ORDER GET HIM
ImageImage
ImageImage
Alex

Post by Alex »

D.Z. wrote:I can't decide if these forums' degree of overanalysis is really impressive or kinda sad. o_o
We over-analyze the comic for fun. It's not like we really believe that there is such a world IRL.

Anyway, I doubt that Gapre is a character created by Grape. Just sayin'.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

valerio

Post by valerio »

if there wasn't some analyzing and overanalyzing, it'd mean there would be no interest, and that would mean that Rick made a dull comic.
So it's not sad. It's fun. :lol:
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

The fact that the character is a Mary Sue whom the hero falls in love with at first sight and who is an anagram of her own name notwithstanding.

STOP LOOKING OVER MY SHOULDER :oops:
ImageImage
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Every girl's dream...
you're just a panther what do you know he's PART OF THE ORDER GET HIM
Get the chainsaw!
Last edited by GameCobra on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I like how Rick specifically had Petir mentioned in the movie. xD It's almost like he's saying "All right, enough speculation; IT'S NOT PEANUT!"

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

D.Z. wrote:I can't decide if these forums' degree of overanalysis is really impressive or kinda sad. o_o
I've secretly always wanted this topic, because I want Rick to actually write Pridelands. I'm not analyzing it very hard, myself.
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

Oh, I'm just teasing. :p I'd err on "impressive".
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Man, can't believe i missed that on the arc. XD

turns out the whole arc "Fall of the Pridelands" is the name of the book. it's on the poster behind Max after he gets mauled to death @_@

I always thought the name of the arc meant something else, like introducing Peanut to the series.

Also included Page 15. because as every Prideland fan knows...

It's Just...That...Awesome...
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

........I think I just got an idea for my next fanfic. Unless the implications in this post get me mauled alongside D.Z. :shock:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Updated the Topic to now include actors.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Updated the Merchandise page. Truth be told, it's hard to tell if it's just regular Tiger costumes or Merchandise, but i'm going with the idea it's Prideland costumes.

Also, any theories on whom Grape/Maxwell are dressed as? Strong guess is that Maxwell is dressed as Petir. Grape is probably Petir's wife/girlfriend/secret admirer of some sort, or her fanmade Gapre <.< >.>
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

It's not at all possible that those costumes are just Simba and Nala from Lion King?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Seeing how dogs are for All Dogs Go To Heaven, and how cats are for Pridelands, it's safe to assume it's Pridelands at this point.

It's possible that it's also Simba and Nala, honestly, but the way things are with Pridelands, it's very unlikely that they could be dressed up as another Lion couple from another Lion-like series, unless they REALLY wanted to hint their romantic relationship on halloween.

PS: Also went to check up on some old comics and noticed another poster that hints who Grape is! Right Here!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

GameCobra wrote:PS: Also went to check up on some old comics and noticed another poster that hints who Grape is! Right Here!
....On the one hand, that seems like a stretch, but on the other hand, that's what makes it seem all the more viable........
drat
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

I'm still confused about the actor Abasi Gatamu. Grape's letter seems to suggest he's not an actual feline - but why would they have humans acting like hyenas and lions and such when the actual lions/hyenas/whatever are fully capable of doing so? Are laws so strict that a director couldn't get a lion to play the part of a lion in a movie or were the creators just too cheap to hire the real thing?
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
caesalson

Post by caesalson »

Indagare wrote:I'm still confused about the actor Abasi Gatamu. Grape's letter seems to suggest he's not an actual feline - but why would they have humans acting like hyenas and lions and such when the actual lions/hyenas/whatever are fully capable of doing so? Are laws so strict that a director couldn't get a lion to play the part of a lion in a movie or were the creators just too cheap to hire the real thing?
Oh, I couldn't make sense of Grape's letter, thanks. That actually makes sense!
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Rick has said before that wild animals have no legal rights; the only ones we've seen so far are zoo animals who were kept under close supervision (just look at how people reacted to Miles). Making a fantasy film with genuine exotic animals in the starring roles would probably be extremely difficult unless they had been trained their whole lives. You also have to worry about other factors, like actors' rights and guild memberships, union representation, to say nothing of pay.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Sinder wrote:Rick has said before that wild animals have no legal rights; the only ones we've seen so far are zoo animals who were kept under close supervision (just look at how people reacted to Miles). Making a fantasy film with genuine exotic animals in the starring roles would probably be extremely difficult unless they had been trained their whole lives. You also have to worry about other factors, like actors' rights and guild memberships, union representation, to say nothing of pay.
Hmm...this reminds me of a Topic that we talked about a while ago...*searches for Topic*
Make Pasta not war.
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

Sinder wrote:Rick has said before that wild animals have no legal rights; the only ones we've seen so far are zoo animals who were kept under close supervision (just look at how people reacted to Miles). Making a fantasy film with genuine exotic animals in the starring roles would probably be extremely difficult unless they had been trained their whole lives. You also have to worry about other factors, like actors' rights and guild memberships, union representation, to say nothing of pay.
Well I do understand this, to a degree, but I still have a lot of trouble with the concept that there are fully sentient beings running around who have, from all appearances, not bothered to struggle for equal rights and freedoms (not to mention lands and territory). I just don't quite get how humans got into the position they are now. I know ASPCA is working on animal rights and that there have been land-mark cases (such as Fido cited for being able to Mirandize Joel), but everything seems... off somehow.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
caesalson

Post by caesalson »

Well, whenever you create a universe too different from our own, there's always going to be a logical hole somewhere.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

When I started this comic I knew there were going to be some rather obvious points that I'd have to gloss over in order to make the setting work. After all, the point was to have the animals walk upright and talk but still be in pretty much the same position. I actually think one issue that makes even less sense is that the animals seem to develop speech and tool-using skills before humans do.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

those dinosaurs could see the meteor coming, you know

they knew what was going to happen and they were powerless to stop it
ImageImage
ImageImage
caesalson

Post by caesalson »

Here's an idea: all such logical holes can be solved by saying all the animals kept their intelligence a secret as a part of a vast conspiracy, then a few decades ago someone screwed up.
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

caesalson wrote:Here's an idea: all such logical holes can be solved by saying all the animals kept their intelligence a secret as a part of a vast conspiracy.
Why so long?
caesalson

Post by caesalson »

I dunno. It wasn't a serious suggestion.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

I think that there's two basic types of stories/environments in fiction - the ones, that are designed basically without any logical or plot holes, everything is explained, everything fits and everything makes sense, so their beauty is in their reality - complexity and plenty of fictive theories explaining various fictive things (like Stargate (Atlantis), where authors like to explain everything - they explain how hyper-techno-stuff works, like stargates themselves, or even seers - although Dr. McKay first complaints, that it's impossible because quantum physics brings randomness and thus it's not possible to calculate with all variables the future, because universe is not deterministic, later he admits, that it may be possible to determine possible futures and they discover, that seer has abnormally developed brain). The price for this is, that some interesting plot developments/situations are not possible, because they would create plot holes or would be against the laws of physics and such.

The other type is not so strict, so it allow plot and logical holes, just for the sake of interesting situations and plot developments. For example, look at Simpsons - if they were more strict, Homer would be dead several times because of his injuries. But they just omit this and make a fun of his accidents. Or even my favorite Doctor Who - they do not explain things much and there's plenty of logical nonsenses - like in "The Journey's End", when the stars are going out (because of reality bomb) - if would take thousands, even millions of years for people on the Earth to see stars going out on the sky, since the light travels years to Earth (well, 4.3 years for the closest star (except sun)). And there's plenty more. But if authors tried to stick with strict physic rules, it would destroy a whole bunch of potential plots.

In these types, you should just sit and watch the fun, but not question everything to absurdity. I believe that Housepets are in this second category, so it's really ok for some things to not make sense. If you wanted them to make sense, it would most probably degrade the "magic" of the Housepets world. I think that you should learn to just ignore these holes and thus, not ruin all the fun from the comic, film, TV series or whatever you watch. I learned that too, although I'm still very big fan of the fiction from the first category, because I like a lot when there's plenty of fictional technical info, about how fictional things work, but I do not limit myself only to this type of fiction.
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Looking into a comic too much can ruin it sometimes if looked into way too much.

but before i point out this topic is going far off-topic so much, i wanted to point out to rick that sometimes the simplest problem can be fixed with the simplest solution in my opinion in these cases, but that's just me @_@