HPU: Exotic Acres

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Pet Friendly: Exotic Acres

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hlaoroo wrote:The kangaroos let out a collective groan and begin struggling to sit up.
"Are you guys alright?" Met asked, hoping there weren't any lasting effects.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"I... I think so..."
"What happened?" Geoff, hearing the roos, walks over to check on them, leaving Houston still asleep on the table but breathing pure oxygen to speed his recovery.
"Hi, guys." he says quietly, squatting slowly to be on a level with them and to seem less threatening. The roos unconsciously flinch backwards as he approaches.
"Easy. It's OK. I won't hurt you. You're safe here. You've just had a bit of a fright. That's all. My name's Geoff Kingston and I'm the vet here. Will you let me have a closer look at you? I'd like to listen to your chests with my stethoscope to make sure everything is OK." The JJ's are not quite awake enough to process the barrage of words but they understand the soothing tone the vet is using and gradually they let him approach, although they visibly tense up and they watch the vet closely as he reaches towards them with the other end of the plastic tubes stuck in his ears. They flinch again as he places it on each of their chests in turn but they do acquiesce and allow him to listen to their fast breathing and racing hearts.
"Thank you. You're doing great. You're being very brave." Geoff continues talking to them in the same soothing tone, not really saying anything but doing his best to keep them calm. He also keeps his movements slow and smooth so as not to alarm them again. Unhooking the stethoscope from his ears and hanging it around his neck, he looks back at Met.
"They'll be just fine. They're lucky they were here when it happened otherwise they might not have survived." As Geoff talks to Met, the roos get shakily to their feet and hop slowly towards the lion and away from the human. Seeing this, Geoff opens a back door through which a grassy lawn is visible and stands aside. The roos take the opportunity and bolt out the door, settling onto the grass.
"They'll be safe enough out there. It'll do them good to have the sunlight and grass to help them recover. We can keep an eye on them from here too."

~~@~~
Sue examines the IDs. "Thank you, Mrs. Gilgan." she says as she passes them back.
"Actually, I'll ask you all to stay here for a minute while I check with Geoff to make sure he's happy for you all to come out the back. It's just that we can't afford to spook the kangaroos again." Sue leaves the small group in the waiting area and heads out to check on Geoff and the roos. Seeing that they are gone, she enquires after them and Geoff explains their progress. This pleases Sue so she puts Kimberly's request to Geoff. Geoff readily agrees now that the roos are outside and so Sue heads back out to the waiting area.
"OK. You can come on through and bring the wolves too, Mrs. Gilgan. The kangaroos have gone outside so it should be fine." She leads the way out the back to where Houston is lying prone on the table and Geoff stands with Met.
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Kimberly quietly follows the vets.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Chem follows right after the human, pulling Marro silently along with him.
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Geoff holds out his hand as the lady enters with the two wolves. "You must be Houston's owner. I'm Geoff Kingston, the vet here. Houston is on the table over here. He's had an anaesthetic so I could reset his wing but he should be waking any time now."

Outside, the two kangaroos converse quietly and nervously nibble at the grass.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Houston slightly moves in his sleep.

Kimberly just watches him as she waits for him to wake up. She does however flinch at the sight of the bandage.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Would you like to see his x-rays while we wait for him to come to?" enquires Geoff.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

"Why yes please.... Also I'd like to know how much the expenses are and every bit of detail on how to take care of his wing." She says in a calm manner.
My Personas

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Sure." Geoff brings up the x-rays on the computer and points to the injuries as he explains. "So the wing was broken here and dislocated at the shoulder here. I'd say what's happened is he's hit a light pole or something like that and the wing has folded back on itself. Fortunately it's a clean break so it didn't require surgery. I popped the shoulder back into place and stabilised the break by strapping his wing to his body. With feathers, casts and bandages are a bit awkward so you'll just have to make sure he keeps it as still as possible. If he keeps the wing furled comfortable against his body then it should heal fine. As to costs, I'll have to charge for the x-rays, the anaesthetic and the consultation fee..." Geoff adds it up on the computer and prints out an invoice which he passes to Kimberly before pointing out the total cost.
"As to his care, I'd like to change the bandage probably once weekly. As the swelling goes down we'll need to tighten it to keep the wing nice and still. He should keep the bandage as dry as possible and if you notice any chafing or irritation around the bandage then bring him back in or take him to your regular veterinarian and we or they will see what else can be done. Other than that, I'll send you home with some painkillers which he can have every four to six hours as he needs them. They're also anti-inflammatories so they should help with the swelling and healing too. With breaks, there's really not much you can do other than wait for them to heal. We'll also do some follow-up x-rays in about three weeks time to make sure it's healing as it should. Obviously he's not going to be able to fly for quite a while - it'll take about four to six weeks for the bone to heal and then he'll have to build up the muscles again. We can give you some exercises to help with that when the time comes." Geoff trails off, thinking.
"Ah... I think that's about everything... Do you have any questions or concerns? Oh, I should mention that he'll probably be drowsy from the anaesthetic for the rest of the night so just keep him quiet and if he wants to sleep then he's more than welcome."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

Marro shook his head "I should have foreseen this... I could have... This wouldn't have.... Why did I space out so much... m-maybe had I paid more attention... he wouldn't have flown off... This should have been prevented..." he spoke, mumbling enough for Chem to hear him, his tail tucked low "I'm sorry Houston..."
Pet Friendly:
Zeke Warren RG S-5 P-5 E-5 C-5 I-8 A-9 L-5
69eist

Post by 69eist »

Are you sure there isn't any other way to hasten the process? Houston loves the sky too much to be gone for 6 weeks.

Kimberly starts to pace, being worried about Houston's reaction.

Houston mumbles in his sleep.
My Personas

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Unfortunately not... There is an injection to help cartilage grow but unfortunately that won't help for a broken bone. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure he gets plenty of calcium in his diet. Oh, look, he's mumbling. He must be close to waking up. You can talk to him and pet him if you like. I don't know if he can here you yet but... Also, just be careful because he may be disoriented and confused when he wakes so he might snap or peck at you until he works out where he is and what's happening. That's also a very common reaction to anaesthetics." Deciding that Houston is close enough to being awake, Geoff switches off the oxygen and removes the mask from the bird.

Outside, the two kangaroos gradually browse their way closer to the clinic, discussing the differences between the lawn and the plains grasses that they're used to eating as they go.

Geoff looks out at them briefly and decides they're doing OK.
"You know, Mr. Lion, if you want to go out and talk to the roos you can. They should be fine now and they seem to trust you."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Houston slowly opens his eyes. He could also hear people talking and notices his Mother's voice.

".......Mom......."

Kimberly quickly turns in response.

"Hey sweetie, are you alright?"

Houston pauses for a moment still feeling groggy.
My Personas

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:"You know, Mr. Lion, if you want to go out and talk to the roos you can. They should be fine now and they seem to trust you."
Met nodded and wandered out to the kangaroos.
"You guys alright?" he asked. "Sorry I kind of... scared you."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Hlaoroo wrote:"Unfortunately not... There is an injection to help cartilage grow but unfortunately that won't help for a broken bone. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure he gets plenty of calcium in his diet. Oh, look, he's mumbling. He must be close to waking up. You can talk to him and pet him if you like. I don't know if he can here you yet but... Also, just be careful because he may be disoriented and confused when he wakes so he might snap or peck at you until he works out where he is and what's happening. That's also a very common reaction to anaesthetics." Deciding that Houston is close enough to being awake, Geoff switches off the oxygen and removes the mask from the bird.

Outside, the two kangaroos gradually browse their way closer to the clinic, discussing the differences between the lawn and the plains grasses that they're used to eating as they go.

Geoff looks out at them briefly and decides they're doing OK.
"You know, Mr. Lion, if you want to go out and talk to the roos you can. They should be fine now and they seem to trust you."
"Could I go talk to them too?" Namine asked.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Sure. Just go slow and don't spook them, OK?" Geoff turns back to Houston.
"Welcome back to the land of the living. How do you feel?" he asks the bird.

~!~!~!~
Jake swallows his mouthful of grass. "That... That was you? All we know is the human yelled and then we got stuck and there was anther loud noise and then... nothing..."
"I... I think we're alright... We're nor really sure what happened though... Did we get tranquillised again?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

"Thank you." Namine said, walking out to where the kangaroos were. "Is everything fine?" she asked.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"We... think so..."
"We're just... not quite sure what just happened..."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

"Apparently, you have something that messed up your heartbeat when you got scared, and you just passed out," Met explained. "I should have tried to calm you down instead of startling you out of the doorway. I'm sorry."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
69eist

Post by 69eist »

Houston tries to move his wing but then remembers it's in a cast. He decides to stay quiet.
My Personas

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"It's okay. You weren't to know."
"I wonder what it was. It's never happened before..."
"Are we still on for video games and fireworks?"

~~~~~~
"Like I said, he's probably a bit groggy. Sore too, I would imagine. Would you like anything to eat or drink Houston? Are you awake enough to talk yet?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Houston just looks away. Kimberly then sits beside him and rubs the back of his head. Houston then digs his head into his Mother's lap.
My Personas

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:"It's okay. You weren't to know."
"I wonder what it was. It's never happened before..."
"Are we still on for video games and fireworks?"
"Definitely video games, but... maybe we should ask the vet if fireworks are a good idea after what just happened," Met answered
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"That... might be a good idea."
"Are they really as loud as in the movies?"

------
"I think you two have a bit of catching up to do. I'll give you a few moments alone together while I check on my other patients." Geoff collects his stethoscope and heads for the door, motioning for the wolves to follow.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Chem nods as he is ushered out, putting a comforting hand on Marro's shoulder as they leave.

Ref Ref!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:"That... might be a good idea."
"Are they really as loud as in the movies?"
"They're louder, actually," Met said. "And you can feel them vibrating your chest."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Awesome!" exclaims Joey. He then falls silent as the vet approaches.
Geoff had been standing in the doorway, observing the roos, checking for anything abnormal in their movements and posture as one scratches himself and the other stretches himself upwards, trying to see over the fence as a car roars by on the other side. Emerging slowly and carefully from the doorway, he approaches the roos from the side so that a) they can't kick him and b) they can bolt if they so choose.
"Hey, guys. How are you feeling now? Would you mind if I take a look at you? I'd like to listen to your chests again to make sure you're OK after your little scare earlier." He keeps his tone even and gentle. The roos watch him carefully and glance briefly to Met for guidance.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Houston just cries in his Mother's lap and stays quiet despite the sobs. Kimberly was about to say something but decides to keep quiet and let the Falcon vent out his feelings.
My Personas

WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

Marro gives Chem a soft smile, his tail gently brushing his legs as it wags slowly "I think I said I'd get us something to eat, you... still up for it Chem?" he asked, giving Chem a friendly, and somewhat affectionate nuzzle to the shoulder
Pet Friendly:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The roos unfortunately hear that statement, and recognising the wolves as being similar to the dingoes back home, bolt. Clearing the fence in a single bound, they head down the street a few hundred metres before stopping as they realise they're not being pursued.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

As soon as Houston calms down a little, Kimberly calls the doctor.

Um excuse me Dr., is Houston cleared to leave?
My Personas

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:The roos unfortunately hear that statement, and recognising the wolves as being similar to the dingoes back home, bolt. Clearing the fence in a single bound, they head down the street a few hundred metres before stopping as they realise they're not being pursued.
Met was surprised when they started running, then sighed and said "I'll go get them."
he walked sfter the two, figuring that running after them probably wouldn't help much.

wehn he caught up to them, he asked "Why'd you guys run?"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Geoff asks Met to bring the roos back to the clinic if he can and then heads back to answer Kimberly's question.
"Well, that depends on Houston. How's he doing? How awake is he?" Entering the clinic, he walks to where the bird is still sitting on the table.
"How are you feeling, Houston? Are you awake enough to talk yet?" He watches the falcon closely, examining him for alertness and responsiveness to his surroundings.

~~~~~
"You heard the dingos!"
"They were planning to eat us!"
"Did they follow you?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

"Huh?" Met asked puzzled. "I think they were wolves... and just cause they're hungry doesn't mean they'll eat you. They're pet wolves, they probably haven't hunted a day in their lives," he explained. "I mean, I don't go killing zebras whenever I want a snack, I just go to a restaurant."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
69eist

Post by 69eist »

"...I'm awake...."

Kimberly lifts Houston onto her lap.
My Personas

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Geoff decides that the bird should be fine to go home so he prints off two information sheets - one about anaesthetic aftercare and one about caring for broken bones and hands them to Kimberly along with the pain medications for Houston.
"He should be fine to go home. Here's some information and his medications. It basically says what I've already told you but it's handy for reference. I'd recommend that you either take Houston to your regular vet or bring him back here in a week's time so we can make sure the bone is healing and that there are no problems caused by the bandage. He'll probably need the dressing changed by then anyway as the swelling will go down. It's probably a good idea to put some ice on the wing as soon as you get home too as that'll also help with the pain and swelling. After that, you should have him checked every two to three weeks until he's healed to change the bandage and make sure all is in order. If you want to do that here, Sue can book it in for you, otherwise you can feel free to use your regular veterinarian. He'll probably need some physio to build up the wing muscles again once he's healed too but we can work that out closer to the date. For now, keep the wing as still as possible so it can heal. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask or to bring him back in again. Also, if the swelling doesn't reduce in a few days or if you notice any bleeding or foul smells around the bandage then bring him back in straight away. Is there anything else we can help you with while you're here?"

~~###~~
"Well... they're like dingos..."
Jake sighs, suddenly feeling very lost, confused, overwhelmed and homesick and he sits down hard on the ground. "It's all so different here! I don't know what I'm doing anymore! I don't understand any of it! I want to go home!" Though he tries, he's unable to stop a tear rolling down his cheek. Joey realises that he feels the same way and he too sits next to his brother, looking glum and struggling with his emotions.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:"Well... they're like dingos..."
Jake sighs, suddenly feeling very lost, confused, overwhelmed and homesick and he sits down hard on the ground. "It's all so different here! I don't know what I'm doing anymore! I don't understand any of it! I want to go home!" Though he tries, he's unable to stop a tear rolling down his cheek. Joey realises that he feels the same way and he too sits next to his brother, looking glum and struggling with his emotions.
"I can't say I know how you feel," Met said. "I was born in captivity, so this life is all I've ever known. But since your owner isn't likely to let you go home any time soon, I can try to help make your life here more enjoyable."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

WolvenPaw15 wrote:Marro gives Chem a soft smile, his tail gently brushing his legs as it wags slowly "I think I said I'd get us something to eat, you... still up for it Chem?" he asked, giving Chem a friendly, and somewhat affectionate nuzzle to the shoulder
Chem nodded.
"Sounds good." The wolf says, smiling back. Looking back for a moment, Chem wonders if they should stay a bit longer and see how Houston is doing.

Ref Ref!
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Namine had spaced out when the kangaroos ran off. She had stayed behind and saw the two wolves that had come with Houston's mom. She walked up to them. "Hi. I'm Namine." she greeted.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

Marro looks to Chem "Look, Houston is with his mom... It will be a while before he is let out... Even though we wanna go back and check on him, without his mom being on this side with us... the doctor's won't let us... we're not related... I promise... We will go check on him at his place later... uhm... as soon as we find out where that is" he took Chem's paw into his, squeezing and not letting go this time
Pet Friendly: