people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Iceheart

Re: 2014/01/15 - J'accuse!

Post by Iceheart »

Peanut just smiles like he's saying "Yes I did!"
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

Double ear horns and an angst cloud in addition to the regular joke? I'm liking this arc thus far :D

I didn't even notice at first because they blend in with his fur, but Marvin may be hitting the orange soda harder than Max!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

But for Peanut, it was Tuesday.

And what an inconvenient place for the record to need turning, isn't it?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And now their crimes are full listed,
so the game we see has finally begun.
Squeak has never had such an audience
and now knows overacting to be fun.

Grape is feeling angst and shame
under a cloud that Tarot may have made.
Peanut, however, doesn't dwell on blame -
he knows how his character's played.

Sabrina's having fun being double deaf
as Bailey feels the sickest of chills,
Maxwell considers the lack of a future
and Marvin drinks to beat all ills.

Ten furry Indians, about to play the game
Following the night, will any be the same?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

link text wrote:[ Readers, you are responsible for... ]
In my defense, that orphanage attacked me.

I like how the two of them realise they are both there for killing someone while drunk.

And I'm a bit embarrased for not foreseeing that Peanut would one day flip out, change his name, and go on a killing spree in an undisclosed place on eastern Africa.
Last edited by Silly Zealot on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Crux

Post by Crux »

I didn't expect Peanut would be THAT sadistic :P

haha, all these crimes! never thought these 'Housepets' would be so felonious :lol:

All this makes me want to buy the book :mrgreen:
Despite What You've been told... I once had a soul.
Left somewhere behind...
~~Avatar by MrAxolatte~!!
valerio

Post by valerio »

The murderer is...JATA! :twisted:
Muninn

Post by Muninn »

valerio wrote:The murderer is...JATA! :twisted:
Thanks for the vision of Jata doing Imaginate with one of those bags on his head. Best image I've had all day :lol:

Also, Peanut looks adorable here, even if he is like "yep, I did it"
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

Crux wrote:All this makes me want to buy the book :mrgreen:
In response to this arc, I checked this, and some of Agatha Christie's other works, out from a local library.
The Vicar

Post by The Vicar »

Iceheart wrote:Peanut just smiles like he's saying "Yes I did!"
In the novel, the characters' reactions were, IIRC:

General MacArthur: "We're all doomed... it's fate... I've come to this island to die... but that's okay because it's just too hard to live with the things I've done. You too. You just don't know it yet." (And he wonders why he isn't invited to many parties!) (Seriously, earlier in the book he mentally complains about a lack of social life. Well, no wonder.)

Emily Brent: "I did nothing wrong. I merely kicked my maid out of the house because she got pregnant, just like any Christian should. It's not my fault if she went and drowned herself because she had no other prospects whatsoever, lower-class people should be happy to live sexless and impoverished lives as servants to rich people like me -- they only have themselves to blame if they go and have sex and it causes problems." (That's a fairly mild spoiler; if you know much about Victorian attitudes on religion and the servant class, you knew right away approximately what Ms. Brent had done. But technically it isn't made explicit until later in the book.)

Dr. Armstrong: "What? How did anyone find out that I did that? Crap."

Marsdon: "Well, if people don't want me to run over them while I'm driving around drunk, then they shouldn't cross roads. Besides, after killing them, I had to pay a fine which was almost 1/20 the price of my car!" (*Drinks martini*)

Vera Claythorne: "No! No! I didn't do it! It wasn't my fault! No! No! No!" (The book and at least one of the movies disagree about whether she was really guilty or not. In the book, yes, she's guilty all right.)

Justice Wargrave: "I could tell Edward Seaton was guilty just by looking at him. So what if I loaded the directions to the jury so that they more or less had to find him guilty? Getting people who I could tell were guilty hung was my job."

Philip Lombard: "Whoa, looks like this party is more dangerous than I thought. Better keep an eye on everyone. And I'll just hold on to that gun I secretly brought even though guns in this era in Britain are extremely unusual and certainly not typical luggage to a weekend house party, and hope nobody noticed that the name I've been using wasn't the one on the record."

William Blore: "!@#$, I thought I got away with that! I did get away with that! I need to figure out who it was, and stop them fast."

Thomas Rogers (the butler): "Oh no oh no oh no how did anyone actually find out about that... oh, yes, it's time to serve the roast." (Seriously, Rogers is the perfect butler, even if it's implied he is also a murderer.)

Ethel Rogers (the cook): "Mrs. Brady?! Aaieee!" (*faints*)
Muninn

Post by Muninn »

Hedronal wrote:
In response to this arc, I checked this, and some of Agatha Christie's other works, out from a local library.
This is the awesomeness that is Rick Griffen. Not only does he make this great comic, but he's getting people into classic literature as well. Rick is da man
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Clearly that's the voice of Earl Sandwich on that track. He knows you all been naughty pets.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I love how these things are set up, and Christie was a genius. Of all the copies, none has matched the original book, and the ending... it was great. Just wonderful.

If you are interested in Christie, read her spy novels! Tommy and Tuppence are neat characters.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Muninn wrote:
Thanks for the vision of Jata doing Imaginate with one of those bags on his head. Best image I've had all day
And then Jata inflates his head, exploding the bag when he's accused.
ZhangJC

Post by ZhangJC »

Anybody notice that Peanut has the role of Philip Lombard and Grape as Vera Clayton. In the novel, they're both the last two characters to be alive, aside from Judge Wargrave of course.

I see what you did there, Peanut <=< :P
Last edited by ZhangJC on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

copper wrote:I love how these things are set up, and Christie was a genius. Of all the copies, none has matched the original book, and the ending... it was great. Just wonderful.
Apparently a low-budget Russian movie adaptation was the closest to the book.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
valerio

Post by valerio »

Argent wrote:
copper wrote:I love how these things are set up, and Christie was a genius. Of all the copies, none has matched the original book, and the ending... it was great. Just wonderful.
Apparently a low-budget Russian movie adaptation was the closest to the book.
The ultimate Imaginate: WAR AND PEACE, featuring PB&J Theatre Company vs. the GODC House of Production! 8-)
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Just got my copy. :lol:
Muninn wrote:Also, Peanut looks adorable here, even if he is like "yep, I did it"
It looks more like "And? Does that matter anyhow?"
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

That wasn't very nice of mister Owen to interrupt their little sing-song session!
ZhangJC wrote:In the novel, they're both the last two characters to be alive, aside from Judge Wargrave of course.
Gaah! Spoiler tags please!

By the way guys, do you think it'd be better if I read the book now, rather than after this arc finishes? I fear that I may be missing out on some subtle inside jokes.

Also, how long is this novel? If I'm gonna read it, I'd have to do so during my (very limited amount of) free time, and I'm just curious whether I can finish the book before the arc ends? I am not gifted with Peanut's power of super speed reading lul :D

Diss Edit: Please use spoiler tags when quoting people you think should have used spoiler tags!
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

I'm just curious about that cloud, where did they get a cloud with that good of quality?
Maybe Tarot is using some of her mental projection, just a bit but that could mean she might use more.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Marvin is getting hammered. x3
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Love Peanut's smile.
valerio

Post by valerio »

LOVED how the gloomy atmosphere took a pause to turn the record to side B.
Maryalee

Post by Maryalee »

Crux wrote:I didn't expect Peanut would be THAT sadistic :P

haha, all these crimes! never thought these 'Housepets' would be so felonious :lol:

All this makes me want to buy the book :mrgreen:
I feel perversely compelled to make the observation that given this group they would be most like found to be "felineous"....

We now return you to your regularly enjoyable forum.
This is not the signature you were looking for. *click* Move along.
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

In the books aftermath, didn't it turn out that Justice Wargrave was actually innocent, because the guy he sentenced to death actually was guilty?
(Well, innocent until this, I mean. He did just commit a 9x murder/suicide)
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Muninn wrote:
Thanks for the vision of Jata doing Imaginate with one of those bags on his head. Best image I've had all day
Oh, my -- I guess if Jata had played, his character would have to be Dr. Edward G. Armstrong...
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Pecan wrote:In the books aftermath, didn't it turn out...

According to Wikipedia's summary, that was known before they got to the island. Therefore, the judge didn't have to feel guilt over the hanging affair. Also, since the hanged man's guilt was public knowledge it lessened suspicion about the judge on the island. I'm just looking forward to our troupe finding the judge after his supposed/fake death, and seeing their reactions.

The mixed-in spoilers are to encourage curiosity. MUWAHAHAHA!!!:-P

By the way, to those who were hoping to see King playing one of the 10, shame on you! Joel wasn't a murderer, but he was...you should know... and we don't need him getting angsty for real.
Personally I hope to see King act as the king chief police inspector for the investigation. Wouldn't it be interesting to see King spout off the wall of text his character (must've) said in the book? (And have Peanut look at him like "how did you manage to memorize all that"?)
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

deepskycyan wrote:
By the way guys, do you think it'd be better if I read the book now, rather than after this arc finishes? I fear that I may be missing out on some subtle inside jokes.

Also, how long is this novel? If I'm gonna read it, I'd have to do so during my (very limited amount of) free time, and I'm just curious whether I can finish the book before the arc ends? I am not gifted with Peanut's power of super speed reading lul :D
It isn't long at all. You should be able to finish it over a weekend trip to some island. If you can survive that long that is ;)
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
valerio

Post by valerio »

(The Murderer is...JATA! :twisted: )
Perfesser_Bear wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Muninn wrote:Thanks for the vision of Jata doing Imaginate with one of those bags on his head. Best image I've had all day
Oh, my -- I guess if Jata had played, his character would have to be Dr. Edward G. Armstrong...
Sir, you just won an internet.
And a cookie!
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Dissension wrote:[ J'accuse! ]

Title Text: man peanut you hardcore
Say it with LSP and me: Dramabomb!
Attachments
Dramabomb.png
Dramabomb.png (81.4 KiB) Viewed 19957 times
Feel my icy wrath!
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

Muninn wrote:Thanks for the vision of Jata doing Imaginate with one of those bags on his head. Best image I've had all day
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:And then Jata inflates his head, exploding the bag when he's accused.
Perfesser_Bear wrote:Oh, my -- I guess if Jata had played, his character would have to be Dr. Edward G. Armstrong...
valerio wrote:(The Murderer is...JATA! :twisted: )
Jata wrote:(Head asplode!)
valerio wrote:Sir, you just won an internet.
And a cookie!
Oh, crumbs. My browser doesn't accept cookies!
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
The Vicar

Post by The Vicar »

If you are interested in Christie, read her spy novels! Tommy and Tuppence are neat characters.
Meh. I always thought her spy stuff was mediocre.

If you can stand Miss Marple (who is a little... affected) then A Murder Is Announced is good, and so is At Bertram's Hotel. (And Sleeping Murder.)

Hercule Poirot... well, some of them are so famous that it's hard not to know how they turn out. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Murder on the Orient Express both have "trick" endings which are famous. Death on the Nile, Appointment With Death, Murder in Three Acts, Funerals Are Fatal, Murder in Mesopotamia, and practically any of the short stories, are all decent reads. (I have quite a collection of cheap Christie paperbacks, because there's a local library which holds an annual used book sale with paperbacks for fifty cents, and there's always a zillion old Agatha Christie books there.) David Suchet, who was cast as him for the PBS version, is basically perfect in that role. He looks more or less exactly as Poirot is described.

If you like early-20th-century stuff, try some Edgar Wallace mysteries/thrillers (which is to say: not the Bones books, which are attempts at humor which don't retain much charm at this remove), which can mostly be found for free online because the copyrights are gradually going kaput. (He's one of the creators of King Kong, incidentally.) The Man Who Bought London is interesting, and J. G. Reeder is one of the most wonderful detective characters ever created. (Reeder is the detective in several novellas, published usually in groups of 2 under the titles of Red Aces, The Return of Mr. J. G. Reeder, The Guv'nor, and The Man Who Passed, plus the short story collection The Mind of Mr. J. G. Reeder, and a final novella titled Terror Keep.) Or The Secret House, The Valley of Ghosts, White Face (named because there's a criminal in a white mask), The Man Who Knew, The Daffodil Mystery, The Coat of Arms, The Clue of the New Pin, The Twister, The Joker, The Door With Seven Locks, The Four Just Men (and its sequels which aren't really quite as good but still interesting)... Heck, there's even an early prototype of Batman (someone who is inspired by the death of a relative at the hands of criminals to become a vigilante with a cape and a mask to frighten his prey) in Jack O'Judgement. If you can stomach his descriptions of foreigners, which tend to be a bit insulting (early 20th-century British author, remember), there are lots of other books of his which have good plots: The Black (title refers to a bank robber who wears all black), The Clue of the Twisted Candle, The Sinister Man...

At one time Edgar Wallace was the most popular author in Britain; one in four books purchased in some particular year (I think 1920) was one of his. But he faded from popular culture. (Possibly because, after his death, a German company bought exclusive film rights to nearly everything he ever wrote, so there are almost no films in English of anything he wrote which wasn't a screenplay to begin with.)

Oh, and then there's R. Austin Freeman, who wrote lots of detective stories -- and who pioneered the idea of a "reverse mystery", where the story begins with a description of the criminal committing the crime, and then the point of the rest of the story is to see how the detectives figure it out.

Or Margery Allingham, author of the Campion books, although she's later and I don't think anything she wrote is available free yet.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Wow, Peanut as Lombard. :lol:
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

[ Readers, you are responsible for... ]...

Me, responsible? HA!
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Wow, Peanut seems glad to receive an accusation to have done a such massacre... :? Poor Grape. :| Funny the embarrassment of Joey and the anxiety of Squeak in having to flip the disc in order to listen their charge. :P
I'm reading the novel plot, must do it, and all is getting clear to me...
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Is it me, or Fido is waaaay too serious about all the plotline going on? :lol: If yes, then Peanut's expression can be read as "Eh, Fido, relax, it's not ALL as it sounds, you know!"
Last edited by VEB152 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I feel as though I should clarify. Peanut (Lombard) stole food from the african tribe and they starved to death. He didn't go on a murder spree.

No Spoilers!!!!
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

Cesco wrote:Funny the embarrassment of Joey and the anxiety of Squeak in having to flip the disc in order to listen their charge. :P
Squeak really is in character considering that the butlers wife screamed and dropped a tray iirc? But I may be wrong since it was ages since I read the book.
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
AceVendetta

Post by AceVendetta »

For those who have not acquainted themselves with Agatha Christie, you should. Reading is almost a second religion in my house (If you put down a book, don't expect to finish it till everyone else in the house has), and there are pretty well three required reading authors: Christie, Tolkien, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Bravo to Mr. Griffin for choosing one of Christie's greatest!

For those of you who like Christie's works, you should read her story "A man in a brown suit". One of her finest murder mysteries with some of my favorite characters (not re-occurring characters even!) from any of her books.