A question to those engaged in the RPs in this forum

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

valerio

A question to those engaged in the RPs in this forum

Post by valerio »

In future, after the series I'm working on is done, I'd like to expand it with concepts and characters from the threads you're playing in with the several 'Pet-Friendly' scenarios. In case you agreed, I will be asking for a comprehensive database about characters and their developements... you know, a way to write a fanfic of PF/HP. :geek:
Let me know if this is feasable, plz. I am very intrigued, but right now I don't have the time to skim throughout the threads (TOO MANY WORDS! :o )
Hope to hear from you soon, folks.
Last edited by valerio on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggy

Re: A question to those engaged in the RPs in this thread

Post by Tiggy »

Uhm, that sounds very interesting, really :o You got ma vote?:>
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
valerio

Post by valerio »

YAYZ! :D
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

But really, this sounds interesting, so you're basically saying that you want to write a/several fanfic(s) about the RP characters?:3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Bolly

Post by Bolly »

With our characters? That's be sweet
valerio

Post by valerio »

But really, this sounds interesting, so you're basically saying that you want to write a/several fanfic(s) about the RP characters?:3
With our characters? That's be sweet
That is correct. I want to...let us say, where possible, unificate the HP universe with the PF universe so to have an expanded common scenario that, perhaps, could inspire in turn other fictioners to write something of their own.

EDIT: Changed title to more appropriate
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Re: A question to those engaged in the RPs in this forum

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Let me get this straight. You're planning to make a series, using characters that we've created? That'd be awesome! I agree to any conditions that you apply!
valerio

Post by valerio »

44R0NM10 wrote:Let me get this straight. You're planning to make a series, using characters that we've created? That'd be awesome! I agree to any conditions that you apply!
Me is happy that you like the idea.
As I stated earlier, my conditions are simple: in due time, I will call for your patience to give me a comprehensive update, in the shape of a 'who'swho' form about your characters and their environment so to use them properly, rather than reading through A LOT of threads pages.
then, fireworks will go off! :mrgreen:
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

I would totally help you out. This sounds pretty generous, for you to request using other people’s characters and crossing them over like that. I imagine that it could get kinda complex in the process of making a storyline.

You have my vote 8-)
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
valerio

Post by valerio »

Yup. I expect it to be a bit complicated. In fact, phase one of the project will be to organize all data in a coherent way, before starting with the new series.
Thank you for your vote! :D :D
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Uhm, will you write these(if you get started on them) in english, btw?:3
valerio

Post by valerio »

1) I *will* get started on them, as soon as Housepets: La serie is done with. I am getting ideas already from the characters recently displayed in the DeviantArt HP Gallery
2) I will write them down in Italian, sorry.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I would love to help with this! It sounds like an EPIC idea!
valerio

Post by valerio »

And help, I will ask for... :mrgreen:
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Hmm...I'm really not sure about this.

See, here's one of the things about Pet Friendly: It's set in the same universe as HP, loosely using it's setting. Each of the different neighborhoods play by their own rules, doing as they see fit and what's most fun for them. Because the actual rules of each neighborhood differ, crossovers are not allowed in the main rules...

And another one of the main rules is that Rick's characters do not appear.

Richardson Valley is a great example: It focuses a lot on the animals vs. the humans and how the animals deal with it. More often, they don't act very much like pets. They act, really, more like anthros rather than the pets of Rick's universe. Oasis Towers can get somewhat similar, with rich pets who are CEO's of, say, Outback Steakhouse.

Radiant Gardens has somewhat of a magical twist to it, far more than happenings with Tarot and Pete, at one point having an outright magical fight.

I think Richmond Acres so far fits the archetype we were actually going for best: Pets getting into mischief and having fun in a suburb.

Brookshire Meadows, simply put, marches to the beat of its own drum, incorporating all of the above and sometimes "turning it up to 11" just because it's fun.

Finally...there are more than...what, 50 characters? 60? Maybe even 70? (I'll count later.) Each with their own backstories, personalities and mannerisms, personal goals and driving ideals. Some are outright insane. Put simply: the margin for error in writing one of the characters is very, very great. Some have spoilers...parts of their personality or backstory not yet revealed in the canon of the IC thread...that RP'ers/writers might not want to expose.

Of course, this would beg the question of why I'm still collaborating with Dean...

Simply put, his story is entirely non-canon to ours or the HP universe at large. It's much like an alternate universe, and he just asked for a casting call...to use our characters rather than creating an entire cast himself. In this case, however, our characters are the cast. Irreplaceable. If one character is left out, like, say, VENISON...what would happen to the story? Whereas if he were replaced in Dean's story, Dean could just write up another character.

So, what am I worried about? Basically, an inaccurate representation of PF, our characters, and the Housepets universe at large. It's an RP that never did successfully mix with the HP universe, and attempting to make it so...in my mind...is a very silly idea.

Venison carries a homemade taser on him. Ochen was a brutal berserker until he got amnesia. Several of the characters have killed someone else (animals or humans!) as part of their backstory! Think you can fit that into playtime with Peanut and Grape? :roll:

Sorry, but I don't think this idea would work very well...there are simply too many different cultures clashing. If anyone wants to argue me, go right on ahead.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
valerio

Post by valerio »

I understand what you are saying, and I thank you for your clear exposition.
Perhaps, worst case, I'll just 'borrow' some characters to have them to appear in Babylon Gardens, trying to respect as best as possible the original settings for a second 'season' of my housepets series.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Buckdida I've seen weirder crossovers that work pretty well (I've done some my self a long time ago). It won't be easy but its very doable at least these use mostly the same rules for the universes and are set in similar settings.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Of course, this is a HUGE project, for now at an embryonal stage.
Dealing with so many scenarios at once is quite impossible, unless I could do it 24/7 with no pause (stupid genetic engineering still hasn't replaced blood with caffeine!), thus I think I will write a block of a few episoded dealing each (block, I mean) with a scenario. It should help make things less confusing for me and for you all.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

IceKitsune wrote:Buckdida I've seen weirder crossovers that work pretty well (I've done some my self a long time ago). It won't be easy but its very doable at least these use mostly the same rules for the universes and are set in similar settings.
Housepets is PG.
The character backstories for many of the PF characters are not. Some of the actual stories for the PF characters, are not, reaching up to that PG-13 limit.

Attempting to mesh those together...you can see why I'm worried.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

To be honest, some characters have a bigger stand compared to others. I've never read any RP's besides RG. I do know a little about Marshall and Blood from there though.

Let's not forget SSBB. Snake's games are 15+, I think. IN SSBB, Snake still had his full personality, but moments that would cause the game to be higher then 12+ were avoided. I am talking about his codecs when I say that.

I'm not sure about the basic storyline about this piece, or RV, but it could be avoided. Humans don't have to appear that often. Magic doesn't play a part of most of RG's life. Some people can use it. Some fear it. Some hate/ignore it. Some don't know about it.

This might just turn out like in comic books where, say, Spider-man and wolverine team up. Both have very differant personalities and powers, yet they work nicely with each other.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Buckdida wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Buckdida I've seen weirder crossovers that work pretty well (I've done some my self a long time ago). It won't be easy but its very doable at least these use mostly the same rules for the universes and are set in similar settings.
Housepets is PG.
The character backstories for many of the PF characters are not. Some of the actual stories for the PF characters, are not, reaching up to that PG-13 limit.

Attempting to mesh those together...you can see why I'm worried.
I understand why you would be worried. But if you want to talk about a ratings problem or at least characters being to mature for a certain crossover setting think about this Marvel and Archie comics did do Archie meets the Punisher at one point and that is considered to be actually pretty good.
The Game

Post by The Game »

I have to say, I agree with Buck on this.

....wait RV characters have killed someone?? jeezum pete...
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

The Game wrote:I have to say, I agree with Buck on this.

....wait RV characters have killed someone?? jeezum pete...
Yus, far before I made the "No violent death" rule. Of course, it's only a part of their respective backstories, and is allowed, provided you aren't detailed. Yes, I just said that death is allowed in backstory. Not in the actual RP though...