My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Foxstar »

It was a good ep, nothing too risky, save for people complaining about no cutie marks yet, which will likely not be happening anytime soon, if ever.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah, the CMC finally figuring out their talents and getting their cutie marks is a pretty big thing...even if it does happen, it will be on some kinda milestone episode. *nods solemly*
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:It was a good ep, nothing too risky, save for people complaining about no cutie marks yet, which will likely not be happening anytime soon, if ever.
I have to admitwhen it zoomed in on her flank at the end I though for a few seconds they were actually going to do it. That was a very good tease though.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

JeffCvt wrote:
Penwrite wrote:The expressions on this show just get better and better.
^My thoughts when I saw that expression.

It looks a lot creepier in that gif than in seemed in the show though. (It didn't seem creepy in the show at all to be honest)
I thought that Rainbow Dash last week was going the be best expression for possibly the entire season. Nope. Harshwhinny had the best expressions the entire time in the beginning of the episode.

I really liked the song too. The lyrics were kinda "Meh" for me, but the instrumental aspect of it I love to death.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I thought the song was a bit cheesy and repetitive. *nods*
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That was the "Meh" part of it for me. The lyrics could have had a lot more going for them with such an awesome instrumental part.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I don't know, I thought the song was pretty great. Especially when it came back near the end to bolster their spirits as they raced to the Crystal Empire.

Speaking of, I loved the callbacks in that part to the previous times Scootaloo's raced through town on her scooter. That was great.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I want Scootaloo's cutie mark to be a scooter. :(
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Kitch wrote:I want Scootaloo's cutie mark to be a scooter. :(
It's very likely going to look scooter related, I could see it being any type of board like transport (skateboard, snowboard ect.). Its kind of implied that her talent is stunt coordination or just stunts on boards. Also now I kind of want a version of Tony Hawks Pro Skater with Scootaloo in it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The song was kind of weak, but I liked Scootaloo in this episode. I think they did a really good job portraying a disabled person!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I liked the song, and it did well as a montage song.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well the last of the Micro series and comic 14 are out. The Luna Micro is very very fun and gives quite a bit of insight into what the princesses actually do from day to day.Luna was completely adorable and seeing Celestia sneak out to get some R&R was awesome. I can't wait for more with the Princesses in the Friends Forever series that's going to start soon. I loved seeing how Luna kept calling the citizens different insulting names (even if she didn't mean it that way) it kind of give a likely idea how both of them likely treated citizens back before Lunas banishment. Oh and the people complaining about the one page cameo by Flash Sentry are already making me kind of angry. I mean it was one page and there are people saying they are now going to boycott the comics because of it and that it ruined the whole Micro even if it was actually making him (and the guards in general I might add) look like an incompetent moron

As for the end of the Pirate arc it was good up until the end really. It seriously needed to be an issue longer since the ending was very rushed sadly. I would have liked more exploring of the meremares. It just seemed like the whole conflict was solved far to quickly and needed more time to explore it really. Other then that it was pretty good.

Ok I'm sorry but I need to rant for a little bit here. One thing that really annoys me about a certain part of this fandom is the fact that they can't (or more likely don't want to) tell the difference between Canon, Fanon, and Assumptions made based off what is in the show/comics. Also their unwillingness to let go of their fanon when it gets jossed. Like with the whole Twilight's Mom being the writer of Daring Do, the comics in no way said that she was the writer. The only thing the comic said was that she won some kind of award that was connected to Daring Do. People then made the Assumption that she wrote it. Which at the time was a very logical assumption to make based on what we knew.

I will admit before Daring Don't that was my headcanon as well. This, by the way, is why I think a lot of people hated Daring Don't. A lot of major reviewers dislike of the episode basically came down to whining that it destroyed their headcanons. (I'm not saying it was a perfect episode, because it does have flaws but the major reason I saw in every review was basically complaining that it destroyed headcanons) But when the episode aired and it was shown that she wasn't the writer I dropped it and adapted to the new canon. It really wasn't that hard at all and I don't understand why people can't just let it go or use it as a reason to say that everything in the comics are now non-canon. That is not at all what that means, there is nothing in the comics so far that the show contradicts because the comics never stated anywhere that she was the writer the fans just assumed that and took it as fact.

This also really applies to the different "types" of Celestia (other then troll/prankster Celestia which is actually supported by the show and comics, especially in Bird in the Hoof and Castle Mania) Tyrant/Manipulator Celestia is really not supported by anything at all yet people take it as complete canon and ignore things that contradict it. The only thing that supports it is really the first two episodes were Celestia kind of lied to Twilight about knowing that her sister was coming back. However this also doesn't completely support it has doing that was completely needed for the element to actually work as they had to be activated by true friendship which if she told Twilight what was actually going on it wouldn't have worked. Also Sunset Shimmer's whole existence completely destroy the heck out of it as well since if she wasn't evil she likely would have ended up going to Ponyville instead of Twilight so she would have ended up as the element of Magic.

I also really believe there is a part of this fandom that doesn't want the comics to exist and I have seen them come in two camps really, ones who think the comics just suck and are legit bad; which I obviously disagree with but ok that is at least they have a good reason for not liking them. And two the ones who just don't want to read comics and don't want them to be canon/exist because if they are they feel they will actually have to read them. So they come up with obviously fake/stupid reasons (and sometimes just no reason at all like screaming that they aren't canon with nothing to back it up) so they don't have to do it. There I just kind of needed to get some of that off my chest for now.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I have to agree with you there. While I did prefer it when Daring Do was a fictional character, I don't making her a real pony ruined anything.

On a related note, I love how Castle Mane-ia basically made Trollestia canon. :lol:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I also wanted to say as a bit of an addendum to my rant, I don't mind alternate character interpretation at all I just feel that it should have at least some basis in the source material that the character comes from. When there is very little to nothing to support it then its really not a alternate interpretation, you're just making stuff up.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I just got caught up on the last two episodes. I love the fact that Daring Do is a real character and not just a literary one. That means that her and Dash can get into all sorts of trouble together, and she and Ahuizotl can be reoccurring characters in the show. I think it was also a nice touch that she writes her books based on her adventures and under a pseudonym.

After watching "Flight to the Finish", I think I have a new distaste for the characters Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. It was a good plot device that they sought to sabotage the crusaders by mocking Scootaloo's disability when they knew they could not win against them. That is a very good writing point. People can make you hate yourself sometimes.

I agree with Ice's rant about the problems with the fandom. When the official cannon does not live up to your expectations of it, just let it go! You can still write your own stories and comics. And, if you don't like the direction that they are taking it, apply for a job at Hasbro Studios and become a staff writer.

Its also kind of ridiculous to boycott the comic because one character that they hate appears in it. Like Ice said it was one page, he look like a fool, and this is the LAST issue of the Micro Series!

On to the comics, I loved the Luna story. I think this is by far my favorite. Luna was so cute being to excited and gung-ho about performing Celestia's duties. And the obvious fun she had the night before fighting monsters! I was wondering why she was being followed around by that possum through out the story and then they have the mini story at the end that he is her new pet ( in the comic, anyway). Luna also had some very funny lines.

I was really wondering where they were taking the pirate story line in the regular series. I though it wrapped up very nicely with the discovery of Hoofbeard's true "treasure". I wonder if the mermares have a chance of becoming part of the show because they seem a lot more interesting in appearance and behavior than "seaponies".
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Synopsis for episodes 7 8 9 and 10

Ok I'm going to say it, the first half of this season is clearly about the Equestria Games and not the keys. Maybe something will happen in with the Keys in 8 or 9 but I'm going to say likely not. I have a feeling the mid season finale (episode 13 maybe 14 if a two parter) will be The Equestria Games before we go on a likely Hiatus for a bit and come back with the rest of the Key storyline that the first three episodes of this season set up.

Edit: Ok that was a fun episode, not as good a last weeks but still really enjoyable. I loved all the stupid mane puns that showed up and the Mane 6 sucking a being superheroes was cute. The Villain was really really great and I loved the superpowers the mane 6 had. The part were they were cleaning up the castle (oh I'm just waiting for everyone to complain about that for the next week :roll:) a good bit of continuancy that I really liked. Also Pinkie was really funny though out the whole thing and I loved Fluttershy finally getting angry (Flutters was good the whole episode as well really) at the end and just destroying the ray.

As for the bad I would say the beginning should have had a bit of foreshadowing for the ending (maybe show us the name of the shop where Spike got it somehow, like him picking up the book or like a delivery address or something) as it seemed to kind of come out of nowhere really

Over all I would give this episode a 7.5 out of 10 pretty good and worth the watch.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I thought it was a good stand alone ep. The people complaining about it not pushing the plot along baffle me. Do people really expect every single ep to push along the storyline?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:I thought it was a good stand alone ep. The people complaining about it not pushing the plot along baffle me. Do people really expect every single ep to push along the storyline?
From what I've seen yes, yes they do. However this episode did push the main plot along a little, they started cleaning up the castle which is clearly a minor part of one of the two main plots we have this season (Key/Box and Equestria Games) specifically the key/box plot.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:
Foxstar wrote:I thought it was a good stand alone ep. The people complaining about it not pushing the plot along baffle me. Do people really expect every single ep to push along the storyline?
From what I've seen yes, yes they do. However this episode did push the main plot along a little, they started cleaning up the castle which is clearly a minor part of one of the two main plots we have this season (Key/Box and Equestria Games) specifically the key/box plot.
Yes, I noticed that. I know that I wouldn't want to watch a toon as a kid that you had to follow every ep or be lost. Eh, maybe it's just me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
Yes, I noticed that. I know that I wouldn't want to watch a toon as a kid that you had to follow every ep or be lost. Eh, maybe it's just me.
I grew up on Gargoyles and X-Men and Spiderman TAS, and the DCAU so kids can do it. But yeah sometimes it can get pretty darn annoying when you had stuff to do as a kid and you had to miss an episode.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:I grew up on Gargoyles and X-Men and Spiderman TAS, and the DCAU so kids can do it. But yeah sometimes it can get pretty darn annoying when you had stuff to do as a kid and you had to miss an episode.
So did I, but even then, there was a large amount of eps in which they were simple standalone eps.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This is far too adorable everything this guy does is far too adorable.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

So has everypony seen the new episode?

When I first saw the trailers for this episode I thought Hasbro were throwing together a little spin-off series to piggyback offa the popularity of superheroes...something more for the male fans who love a bit of action.

Boy am I stupid. XD

This is quite a fun episode. :3

It's another Spike episode where he thinks he's pretty much useless to his pony friends.
But a bewitched comic book is going to show him just how wrong he is.

It pulls them into the comic book world and pretty much just amplifies the powers they already have.
There's a big payoff near the end when we see the reveal of flutterhulk...who just looks weird if you ask me.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

If anyone's interested, here's a thingy I made with words and stuff.

http://solaris90.deviantart.com/art/Sco ... 1387725661

:)
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I've discovered ponified anime intros.

One Piece: Believe (early Grand Line to half-way thru Arabasta)
http://youtu.be/R7dRL_hLlLI (Japanese)
http://youtu.be/btzNq8VPdF8 (English)

One Piece: We Go (Fishman Island saga)
http://youtu.be/Hif15r-Boyo

Cardcaptor Sakura
http://youtu.be/WWG0KLSJi8g (this one has original animation, it's Derpy themed)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think this season the plots are becoming a bit more out-there. I don't think it's a good thing or a bad thing, just something I've noticed. Also, it's getting more violent. I still enjoyed this episode! Ridiculous or not, it was very fun.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

you know what? This episode is perfect for introducing a few new pony toys, Hasbro should sell Power Ponies
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I really wouldn't be surprised if they do a line of Power Pony toys, they would sell pretty well I bet. Also I have to agree Sleet the show does seem to be heading in a more fantasy/action direction which I think is good as long as they break it up with the occasional slice of life episode here and there. Which really if Faust had gotten her way completely it's basically what the show would have been.

You know there is something a couple of people have pointed out and so far it seems to be pretty true. This season seems to have the theme of realizing your own self worth. Its been, what, 3 episodes in a row that have had this moral (or a minor variation of it) now. Heck really the first two episodes kind of had this a moral as well, just not as overt.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

You know what? The episode still opens the door for a spin-off power ponies series...which would only serve to help market a line of toys.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I really didn't think this would happen but it is and its going to be sooooo awsome! Threes a Crowd Synopsis and Special Guest Star Oh God! I can not wait for this episode! Best episode of series confirmed Special Guest Star: Weird Al Yankovic
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I
Can
Not
WAIT
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

It feels like a Weird Al guest voice has been rumored forever, doesn't it?

Edit: It's not quite pony related, but well, it was thanks to this very thread that I discovered MLP: FiM in the first place, so I'd just like to wish you all a Merry Christmas. Or a Happy Hearth's Warming, if you prefer. ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes but I think it's official now. And I am so excited! :D
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Happy heart's warming, everypony! :mrgreen:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Threes A Crowd synopsis changed It looks like there was an error in the episode listings.The Weird Al episode IS STILL HAPPENING, however it is not episode 11. However the real episode 11 does sound pretty neat.I wonder what friend it could be. (I'm going to say its Trixie; considering that she is the only friend that Twilight has that we know of, that would likely be traveling around to make it to the Crystal Empire.)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Finally saw the latest episode. I find it amusing how Mane-iac's basically the polar opposite of King Sombra and Spike played a key role in defeating both.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok that was a very nice episode. I really loved that song the useage of lighting was great in it. When the rest of the cast started singing in it I was a bit surprised, but that made it even better. Flutterbat was really darn cool looking and it was good to see Fluttershy and AJ interact as its seems pretty likely they would hang out pretty often, at least for help with animals around the farm anyway. It was really neat they brought up Dash's cider addiction again in this she was great in this episode. I also loved the call backs to The Stare and the spell Twilight used on the Parasprites as well.
Also Pinkie Pies hair was awesome.

Over all I'm giving this one a 8/10 without the song it would have been a bit lower but still good.

Also what in the world is up with the endings this season? This is what the 3rd or 4th time they have had a teaser at the end. Once or twice I would call it nothing but at this point (especially since this one showed that Fluttershy is still part bat) I'm starting to think that this might be leading to something.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I'm not putting too much thought into the endings this season, they could just be messing with us. Of course if they don't do anything by the end of the season, people will be mad. Just can't win.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really liked when everyone looked sinister except when it cut to Pinkie Pie where she's just being her smiley, goofy self. Flutterbat was also awesome.

I'm just a little concerned that between this week and last week, they may decide to try too hard to be more action-y than before. I don't mind these kinds of episodes at all! I just don't want them to push things more than they need to.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

so did anyone else think this was ripping of the plot of the wallace and gromet movie a bit