My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: My Little Pony

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

JeffCvt wrote:If I hadn't just used all of my currently disposable income to buy another $250 Chromebook and a $60 hard drive with more memory as an early Christmas present to myself, maybe.

If any of you guys keep up on prices, let me know if they go on sale anytime soon. (The digital kind.)
the older ones are currently $2 each on comixolgy. do you need cheaper than that?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:If I hadn't just used all of my currently disposable income to buy another $250 Chromebook and a $60 hard drive with more memory as an early Christmas present to myself, maybe.

If any of you guys keep up on prices, let me know if they go on sale anytime soon. (The digital kind.)
the older ones are currently $2 each on comixolgy. do you need cheaper than that?
I duno. I'll wait and see if they go on sale during the holidays.

And for my holiday money.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

IceKitsune wrote:Just saw it myself, it really doesn't reveal anything that we haven't already seen in other spoilers.
I have been actively avoiding any of THOSE types of spoilers XP All I want to see before season 4 premiers are the trailers :lol:
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well the first part of the Pirate arc is out. Really liking it so far, its easily expanding the world and characters and gives us our first glimpse into Twilicorn. Spoilers Nothing changes she just has wings and a title. I'm really liking Dash in this one plenty of her acting really awesome. Fluttershy (who is being rather crazy; which I think is a great depiction for her that more fan stuff needs to use) and Applejack are IMO great so far as well. The new characters and references are good, but again its just the first issue so they haven't grown on me yet.

The only issue I have so far is that some of the background ponies in the town they go to are just exact copies of existing characters (ie. Pirate CMC,Granny Smith and Big Mac) and that just feels kind of lazy.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

IceKitsune wrote:Well the first part of the Pirate arc is out. Really liking it so far, its easily expanding the world and characters and gives us our first glimpse into Twilicorn. Spoilers Nothing changes she just has wings and a title. I'm really liking Dash in this one plenty of her acting really awesome. Fluttershy (who is being rather crazy; which I think is a great depiction for her that more fan stuff needs to use) and Applejack are IMO great so far as well. The new characters and references are good, but again its just the first issue so they haven't grown on me yet.

The only issue I have so far is that some of the background ponies in the town they go to are just exact copies of existing characters (ie. Pirate CMC,Granny Smith and Big Mac) and that just feels kind of lazy.
I kept wondering why they were their. I thought the joke was they were the real characters and they were present for the sake of a joke.

I really liked this. The arc is off to a strong start. Not just the main story but also the B story of Fluttershy and her fish.

Another thing I liked are the random pop culture references. Look for pony version of the cast of "One Piece" in the saloon scene.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 4 Episode 4 Synopsis Well it looks like Twilight's mom is not the writer for Daring Do, which sucks IMO but whatever. Also one look at just the spoiler picture for this episode and you can tell instantly where this one is going.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I thought the episode was pretty good, though not quite up to the standard I'd expect for a season premier. It had good adventure but was a little bit lacking on humor. But now I'm interested in seeing where this plot device goes.

Did anyone else suspect Chrysalis had something to do with it considering the shape of the leaves?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

It was easily 8/10 for me I loved Discord though out the whole thing, showing that he still wasn't completely reformed. I am soooo glad they set up another over arcing plot with that box thing for this season I can't wait for that to play out. As for the villain IMO Raritys magic gave it away really but that's no real big deal. Applejack I think got a lot of good screen time in these episodes for sure so that is always a plus. Also really loved Twilight's freak out over her duties and the check list and also Celestia having to tell her not to bow anymore. The flashback were cool as heck and a great way to sneak in world building by the writers. As for what some people are calling the "Sparkle Boom" at the end there I though that was cool and a nice way to have Twilight do something at the celebration. Over all it was a solid opener which looks like its going to lead to a lot of neat stuff this season.

Edit: As for what I thought was bad about it, that boils down to about two things: I thought Zecora (as much as I like her) having that potion was to convenient really; I would have liked they to have found a spell in a book or something while it would have been effectively the same it would have felt less forced and unnatural. Also The flashbacks should have been longer/their own episodes, its just not enough time to explore that kind of stuff. Oh and one other thing I did really like was them bringing back Dark/Alicorn (apparently its the same now I guess) Magic
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I liked it, but the best part is people on EQDaily having a fit about the writing and then getting all huffy when reminded that to expect War and Peace writing from MLP is silly.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

my prediction for what's in the box: copies of the elements so the tree can keep it's power while the Mane ^ has theirs to use. It's what I whought would be in the flower before they revealed the box
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

IMO that's far to silly and anti-climatic for this show. I'm going with either Nothing being in the box and it being more like a containment vessel for evil/disharmony that they need all six keys to use or some other type of weapon/containment device. IMO it being copies of the elements bring up the problem of why didn't the tree give Celestia and Luna that in the first place. It clearly doesn't have enough power to do so. Really though its far, far to early to be making speculations about it anyway. Its going to be going on though the whole season so clues will be pretty far between I bet.

Also I really like the changes they made to the opening The new group shot,Luna being with Celestia in the throne room, and one I don't think a lot of people noticed (I didn't until it was pointed out to me) Discord is in the window of Fluttershys house.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:IMO it being copies of the elements bring up the problem of why didn't the tree give Celestia and Luna that in the first place. It clearly doesn't have enough power to do so.
It didn't have warning before Celestia and Luna took the elements. It didn't know there needed to be any elements other than the ones it had until it didn;t have them anymore and it couldn't use the elements' power to make copies. Maybe if Celestia and Luna had returned them after they used them, they'd have gotten copies.

that being said, If it is a containment device for evil, maybe it'll be a Pandora's box situation and finding the keys will release a great evil they need to defeat.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I still say it would be rather stupid for the box to contain just a copy of the Elements though, even for this show. Its possible though.

Someone else did on another site did bring up a pretty good idea that I kind of dismissed at first but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. It contains the Rainbow of Light, which if you don't know is what was used in G1 to defeat things. It worked basically like the rainbow beam from the Elements but it was in just one locket that Megan (the human girl) had.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I think that's a good idea Ice. Bet your glad the season has started again.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:I think that's a good idea Ice. Bet your glad the season has started again.
Yes, yes I am. :P
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

The people complaining that Twilight stole Rainbow Dash's move are funny.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:The people complaining that Twilight stole Rainbow Dash's move are funny.
I don't even get that complaint. It was her magic that did the explosion not her flying.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:
Foxstar wrote:The people complaining that Twilight stole Rainbow Dash's move are funny.
I don't even get that complaint. It was her magic that did the explosion not her flying.
I know, but it's likely my fault for hanging out on EQDaily, they seem to take things way too serious.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I just like the way they timed the explosion: right at the half way point between day and night AKA twilight
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the box will just be forgotten about, never being resolved.

Yes, that's right, the box will be the GS Ball.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just saw the premier. Fantastic action scenes. A surprising amount of personal drama. Only complaint was that there was no King Sombra. lol

Edit: Another complaint I've come to after some thought. In all honesty, I'm getting tired of Discord.
Radio Blue Heart

My favorite part was Celestia's battle with Nightmare Moon.

When Luna declared that there could only be one princess, I could not help but think of THIS song.

But one thing that this episode left me wondering about was where Discord stands now. He may be reformed but he sure didn't do much to help. If anything he tried to be manipulative again. I think he might lapse back into his old ways. Especially without Elements of Harmony around.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

He reminded me a lot of Q from Star Trek. More than usual, I mean. My guess is he'll be a chaotic neutral kind of character with leanings toward good, never being an outright villain but never directly helping either.

Also yes, that battle was the best part.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

A background character is getting a voice, an official name, and screen time in season 4 the news is a bit old but I don't think anyone posted it here. The general thought seems to be that its going to be either Vinyl,Octavia,Lyra or Bon Bon. However some people have brought up the idea that, if they are going with disabled Scootaloo and it happens in that episode they could redo Derpy with the name Ditzy Doo. Which makes a ton of sense since all of those background ponies actually have an official name and the only one without one is Derpy.
Radio Blue Heart

IceKitsune wrote:A background character is getting a voice, an official name, and screen time in season 4 the news is a bit old but I don't think anyone posted it here. The general thought seems to be that its going to be either Vinyl,Octavia,Lyra or Bon Bon. However some people have brought up the idea that, if they are going with disabled Scootaloo and it happens in that episode they could redo Derpy with the name Ditzy Doo. Which makes a ton of sense since all of those background ponies actually have an official name and the only one without one is Derpy.
I like that last suggestion. It would be great if Scootaloo learned that being different is not a bad thing from Derpy. It would be a great way to develop both characters and to show up those jerks that wanted to censor Derpy. To show them that you can't remove handicapped people from public view.
Penwrite wrote:He reminded me a lot of Q from Star Trek. More than usual, I mean. My guess is he'll be a chaotic neutral kind of character with leanings toward good, never being an outright villain but never directly helping either.

Also yes, that battle was the best part.
I guess that this point he is sort of a Cheshire Cat. He is a combination guide and tormentor. Still, he could have been a bit more helpful since those vines were his creation. I would have liked to have seen him as a member of the team. He would make a powerful ally, if being reformed has not weakened his powers.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That Derpy idea sounds too good to ever happen.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:That Derpy idea sounds too good to ever happen.
The thing is she is the only popular one without an official name though, all the other have names on the toys (even if Bon Bon is offically known as Sweet Drops since Bon Bon is copyrighted by the people who make the candy). I really don't see who else it could be really.

Edit: and now there is this Yeah I'm calling it, its Derpy
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

apparently Episode 3 has been leaked, so I'd like to remind everyone that discussion of an illegally leaked episode is not allowed on the forums. Wait until the official air date to discuss the episode
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Also don't go on any image sites they are all full of gifs of the episode. Spoiled most of it for myself already. Heck it was so bad I'm pretty sure I've seen like a good 60% of it in gif and still images alone.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Man, the internet sure makes everything awful, doesn't it? :P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:Man, the internet sure makes everything awful, doesn't it? :P
I've never minded spoilers anyway I'm gonna watch it on premiere day even though I know basically everything that happens outside of whats said. Though if I may say, it looks like a whole ton of great reaction faces and adorable things happen in it.
Radio Blue Heart

The universe will never be the same again!!!
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was never a fan of his, but that's adorable. :3
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh I loved the heck out of this episode. Rarity was great throughout the whole thing, wanting to "restore" those tapestries (and by restore I mean steal) her near constant sarcastic exchanges with Fluttershy were great. Rainbow Dash and Applejack worked very very well together as usual. And RD covering her face with her wings was the most adorable thing I have ever seen, right up there with Twilight diving into a pile of books. Everyone in general had amazing reactions All that stuff in the castle was really nice to see, the armor and that dragon statue looked as cool as heck. I like how they kept the damage from Nightmare Moon consistent. It also gave a bit more development to Luna and Celestia which was nice those two need it.

Them keeping the letters going with the journal idea was a nice touch. And it being Pinkie Pie the whole time was cute, if a bit predictable. Overall I really liked this one even if it was a bit predictable and overdone. But the reaction faces and the way the characters played off each other really helped this one out. 8/10 for me basically as good as the opener.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure Rarity seriously intended to steal the tapestries.

This episode was awesome, though. I love the ridiculousness of the bee scene, as well as Pinkie's part in the story ("Did you know I know how to play the organ? Because I didn't!", plus her bell ringing). Twilight's stop spell was pretty sweet, and I loved the whole "adventuring through a spooky castle" plot in general.

This is also the first time I noticed that it looks like Twilight's horn grew when she became an alicorn. Is it just me or did it actually do that?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

It really did that.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote:as well as Pinkie's part in the story ("Did you know I know how to play the organ? Because I didn't!", plus her bell ringing)
Her bell ringing was my favorite part. (Although the part where a bowl of carrots appeared in front of Angle was great too.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I also loved the reference in the episode title.

WHAT IS A PONY? A MISERABLE PILE OF FRIENDSHIP!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

If Pinkie's the one playing the organ, Then who was the shadow pony?
Nosferatu *finger waggles*

on a serious note, was anyone else a bit weirded out by Angel laughing? Has he made any noises that weren't a cough before?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Does this mean that Shadow Pony is being set up as a new villain?
-Virgil