Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Obbl »

*steps away from RatHead* :?
jrodsqod

Post by jrodsqod »

So I never really answered this question yet, and I have an...I guess unique perspective on it all.

On literal terms, no. I do not view myself as a furry.
HOWEVER! I am a fan of the anthro art style and rely on the fandom for advice and experience. I am VERY friendly towards those of you who are. :D
I absolutely love animals and I've been an artist (cartoonist mainly) since as long as I can remember, and about five years ago first discovered and started drawing anthro. Although when I began, I never knew the furry fandom existed.

I'll say this.....
I know that taking on a fursona is a way of creating your own custom character, and that's totally awesome! (like an actor portraying a role in a film, or even like roleplaying an anime character for some.)
But when it is taken too far past that point..............then what?
Animals were basically created to have personalities like we were. But some PHYSICALLY and mentally embrace that concept, and quite frankly, it's not healthy.
THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR ALL FURRIES!! Or even MOST for that matter, although most of the world sees it that way.
From what I understand, furries are defined as individuals who enjoy themes and portrayals of animals with human personalities, characteristics, and traits.
That includes those of us who enjoy drawing in the art style like myself, and readers of Rick Griffin's Housepets.
Anthro fans who do not like being associated with the fandom, do so because they see it as a label that is slapped on them. The same goes for the term "brony."
My brother thinks the MLP show is cool and funny, but he dislikes being called a brony because it is a definative term.

This all being said, I think furries are unique in a cool way and they have EVERY right to express themselves!
As for those who who don't like to display who they are as a human being, or those who draw, write, or enjoy "the y word!?"....That makes me deeply sad, and should hopefully prompt those of us who share our interests to encourage and build up that small portion of the fandom that follows that.
(I originally typed the y word and it turned into Bic Ballpoint Pen. That's absolutely hilarious! :lol:)

Final words:
The fandom is awesome. (Heck, without it I wouldn't be on the artistic level I'm at!)
The people in the fandom are beyond AWESOME and supportive of others!
I want to challenge you all to encourage fandom members who may feel insecure. That's MY motivation to keep drawing the style!
Don't think of the term "furry" as a label that others put on you. Think of it as the common interest we all share!

Anybody care to relate or elaborate? I would like some feedback just to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. Thanks.
(long therapy session over :D)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Obbl wrote:*steps away from RatHead* :?
Can you help to hide me? Celestial beings find it a tad harder to hide.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Sleet wrote:
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Only after they utter "what does the fox say" Sleet. :lol:
I never said the murders would be my doing. But in that scenario, yes. They would all be mine. The rivers would run red.
Sleet wrote:On this forum we don't seek to be understood just "most of the time." Just spell the word out. :3
RatHead wrote:Well I guess if that's what the Fox says, then...
C:
Sleet, I assume, your are tested negative on rabies in the meantime? So you can bite them now. :lol:

---

PLEASE write fursona, not FS. It is much easier to read for the others. Especially for the non native speakers who also translate while reading, when these people also have to think about what you mean with an acronym...
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I think that I usually do that anyway, but i will try to watch to make sure that i do that all the time whenever i'm i'm here
Obbl wrote:*steps away from RatHead* :?
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Can you help to hide me? Celestial beings find it a tad harder to hide.
*opens door* oh, hey guys! Whatcha doin here in the closet? I think that it's time for you to come out :) :D XD

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

jrodsqod wrote:Anthro fans who do not like being associated with the fandom, do so because they see it as a label that is slapped on them. The same goes for the term "brony."
I can be labeled as an anthro fan based on the fact that I follow at least 4 furry webcomics and moderate a largely furry forum, but I don't consider myself a furry for one reason: I don't enjoy art/TV shows/other media any more because it is anthropomorphic or furry. I enjoy all of those comics I follow because they are funny or entertaining, but not because they have talking animals in them.

On the other hand, I DO consider myself a Brony because I do tend to gain more enjoyment out of MLP related things. I will check out a video on YouTube simply because it is pony-related, or check out an artist because they do drawings of MLP.
jrodsqod wrote:(I originally typed the y word and it turned into Bic Ballpoint Pen. That's absolutely hilarious! :lol:)
That's the forum filter at work. It's set to change a lot of "bad" words into funny phrases. If you want to see, type a few words in and hit the "preview" button. The results are usually funny. (Just be careful not to hit "post," because if you happen to think of a word not in our filters and we see, you will still be bonked. :P )
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

JeffCvt wrote:
jrodsqod wrote:Anthro fans who do not like being associated with the fandom, do so because they see it as a label that is slapped on them. The same goes for the term "brony."
I can be labeled as an anthro fan based on the fact that I follow at least 4 furry webcomics and moderate a largely furry forum, but I don't consider myself a furry for one reason: I don't enjoy art/TV shows/other media any more because it is anthropomorphic or furry. I enjoy all of those comics I follow because they are funny or entertaining, but not because they have talking animals in them.
I agree with you on this, see I've read many opinions on what people say it takes to be a furry, and what made me start considering myself a furry was when I started getting ideas about maybe sometime in my life getting a tail, and maybe even a fursuit, and when I got a preliminary idea for my fursona in my head, (although I still haven't drawn it out and won't for a while until my drawing skills improve, which they are fairly steadily, and I'm suprised! And happy! back on subject now). I also consider myself a furry because like you Jeff, I enjoy both anthro and feral (normal animal stance for those who may not know the term) art, as well as some webcomics and animations both because they are funny/entertaining, and because they have talking animals. I must say that just the idea of being a furry is one of the VERY few things that can make me truly smile, I don't know why.
JeffCvt wrote:On the other hand, I DO consider myself a Brony because I do tend to gain more enjoyment out of MLP related things. I will check out a video on YouTube simply because it is pony-related, or check out an artist because they do drawings of MLP.
This type of thing is fine in my opinion, and while obviously not a brony/mlp fan, a person who I've been friends with for darn near all of my life is a brony and fine with it, in fact he has a funny way of proclaiming it on FB; he has a picture of him sitting on a bench with the pink pony (pinkie pie? I've heard...)'s head superimposed over his own, and meme-type writing on it that says "Yeah, I'm a Brony, Gotta problem?" ROFL! makes me laugh almost every time i see it. Plus, i have a bunch of other brony friends (whether they know it or not >:)
JeffCvt wrote:
jrodsqod wrote:(I originally typed the y word and it turned into Bic Ballpoint Pen. That's absolutely hilarious! :lol:)
That's the forum filter at work. It's set to change a lot of "bad" words into funny phrases. If you want to see, type a few words in and hit the "preview" button. The results are usually funny. (Just be careful not to hit "post," because if you happen to think of a word not in our filters and we see, you will still be bonked. :P )
Hmmmmmmm an idea........

don't worry, I'm not gonna do anything bad or against the rules; I'm not like that

HP! Messenger
jrodsqod

Post by jrodsqod »

Well now that I see what I wrote the other day, it kinda feels like I came about it the wrong way. :roll:
People tend to think of the brony and furry fandoms negatively (or slap labels on them) because they identify them with that VERY small percentage who specialize in Bic Ballpoint Pens.
You can thank the media and internet for that. :(
JeffCvt wrote:I can be labeled as an anthro fan based on the fact that I follow at least 4 furry webcomics and moderate a largely furry forum, but I don't consider myself a furry for one reason: I don't enjoy art/TV shows/other media any more because it is anthropomorphic or furry. I enjoy all of those comics I follow because they are funny or entertaining, but not because they have talking animals in them.
RatHead wrote:I also consider myself a furry because like you Jeff, I enjoy both anthro and feral (normal animal stance for those who may not know the term) art, as well as some webcomics and animations both because they are funny/entertaining, and because they have talking animals. I must say that just the idea of being a furry is one of the VERY few things that can make me truly smile, I don't know why.
I can relate with you both completely!
The way I found the forum in the first place was purely coincidental. I had been drawing short comics for a few years, and then I decided to switch things up a bit and do animal characters. I mean, you see them ALL the time; Children's books (especially some of the ones i grew up with), TV Shows, and Disney movies for gosh sakes! But when you display your artwork, and have people ask you if you are a furry.....You don't quite know how to react.
I share a lot of the fandom's likes and dislikes, but anything beyond the comics, fursonas, fan art, and artwork in general is where I draw my line.
Not because I think things like fursuiting, conventions, roleplaying, etc. are WEIRD, but simply because I just don't want to get INVOLVED with that side of the fandom.
I'm here to share my talents because I like to inspire others, and give them something that other artists can't, and like I said, I'm VERY friendly towards furries because they are all respectable and welcoming. (as well as the perfect audience for my style of artwork!)
JeffCvt wrote:On the other hand, I DO consider myself a Brony because I do tend to gain more enjoyment out of MLP related things. I will check out a video on YouTube simply because it is pony-related, or check out an artist because they do drawings of MLP.
My youngest brother is pretty much the same way.
Meaning, he doesn't watch MLP every time he sees it on the program guide, nor does he drool over the 20% cooler merchandise at Hot Topic. He enjoys the show simply because it is comical, and the characters are fun and easy-going for all ages. Heck, my dad has even watched an episode or two, and found it rather amusing!
Thanks guys for your input. It means a lot to me. :mrgreen:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Let's keep our discussion of unsavory things to a minimum (ideally zero), please. Just 'cause there's a filter doesn't mean you should tempt it. :P

It's kind of sad and yet amusing how so many people come up with arbitrary distinctions as to why they don't count as a furry. It's not really that complicated in reality.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

For those of you who don't know already, I am and will continue to be an otter.
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
G'aunt_The_Overlord
Location: Arlandia, Vorru, Kanakra, Serus Galaxy, Dimension 7

Post by G'aunt_The_Overlord »

jrodsqod wrote:Well now that I see what I wrote the other day, it kinda feels like I came about it the wrong way. :roll:
People tend to think of the brony and furry fandoms negatively (or slap labels on them) because they identify them with that VERY small percentage who specialize in Bic Ballpoint Pens.
Curse you Internet!!!! :lol:

I do agree with you there though. The very small minority that do the Bic Ball Point pens tend to give the ones like us bad names. :(
I do consider myself a furry though (I'm a Red fox-Bat Hybrid) and I've actually made my friends like them slightly too (One is a snake and the other is a bear thing). I've really liked furries for a long time and so it really annoys me when people aren't very nice to them. Again, "Curse you Internet!!!!"
jrodsqod

Post by jrodsqod »

Sleet wrote:Let's keep our discussion of unsavory things to a minimum (ideally zero), please. Just 'cause there's a filter doesn't mean you should tempt it. :P
Sorry. :| I'm guilty of starting that ordeal...
Sleet wrote:It's kind of sad and yet amusing how so many people come up with arbitrary distinctions as to why they don't count as a furry. It's not really that complicated in reality.
You're right, Sleet. It's not complicated. So without further ado....
Simplified version of my two mile-long posts: I draw furries, and the fandom is my main audience. Because I draw them, the fandom sees me as one of their own, and I'm absolutely FINE (and somewhat flattered) by that. Although as long as they know I don't participate in specific parts of it all. (fursuiting, cosplay, conventions, and such)
And I'm NOT saying "in order to be a furry, you HAVE do those things."
Example: Someone graduated in my High School class that I didn't know was a furry until this year. He didn't wear a tail around school, or even have a fursona. He just had an FA account and claimed to be a furry. That was it.
I believe that EVERYONE (furries, bronies, minority groups, homosexuals, and others in general) deserve to be respected for who they are CHARACTER-wise, and for the things they enjoy.
(Even if it means interacting with the Bic Ballpoint Pen people. They need some form of respect too.)

Once again, guys. THANK YOU for putting up with my incredulous-sized posts and.....different...perspectives.
Although some of it may be unsettling, I appreciate the feedback. Really, I do!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I just made up the terms "communal furry" and "isolated furry", to differentiate furry fans who take part on the overall community from those who don't. Does that sound more or less accurate?
G'aunt_The_Overlord wrote:People tend to think of the brony and furry fandoms negatively (or slap labels on them) because they identify them with that VERY small percentage who specialize in Bic Ballpoint Pens.
Curse you Internet!!!! :lol: [/quote]
A lot of stuff within the fandom is influenced by AND takes place on the internet, so why do you say the information found on the internet is difamatory, when it sometimes comes from the fandom itself?
KalloonWhite wrote:For those of you who don't know already, I am and will continue to be an otter.
All I see is a ninja cubone. You are lying!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

ninja cubone isn't him, it's a character in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon thing he's writing
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I'm still confused tho...

HP! Messenger
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

What are you still confused about, RatHead?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

RatHead

Post by RatHead »

What KallonWhite is supposed to be

HP! Messenger
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

An otter, apparently.

What people choose as their avatar picture here on the forums is not necessarily their fursona or even representative of them as a person. It can just be a picture that they happen to like or something that represents just a small part of them rather than them as a whole, and many people chose to do that. Does that help at all?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RatHead

Post by RatHead »

i think....
thanks!

HP! Messenger
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

:oops: Still not sure what little niche I fit under: Isolated furry, closet furry, greymuzzle furry, non-furry furry, community-minded furry, furry fursuiter, hmm... Truth be told, I haven't run across any 48 y.o. hetero married men w/teen children and an intact 21-year marriage who do this stuff so maybe I'm more like a Tigger furry... Bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, and am I the only one?

>shakes furry head< Eesh, I am exhausted, incoherent, need to sleep like, now. Can't even read what I just wrote
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

tychoaussie wrote::oops: Still not sure what little niche I fit under: Isolated furry, closet furry, greymuzzle furry, non-furry furry, community-minded furry, furry fursuiter, hmm... Truth be told, I haven't run across any 48 y.o. hetero married men w/teen children and an intact 21-year marriage who do this stuff so maybe I'm more like a Tigger furry... Bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, and am I the only one?

>shakes furry head< Eesh, I am exhausted, incoherent, need to sleep like, now. Can't even read what I just wrote
0_0 what do all these mean? ( i know what closet furries and furry fursuiters are mind you, and can figure out community-minded fur) also your 48? geez, i thought this was more of a teen/young adult thing (I'm 19). oh and by non-furry furry i think you just mean anthro fan, who are generally not furries on their own.

HP! Messenger
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Labels are largely unnecessary. Don't worry about it!

And yes, furries are generally pretty young but that's not always the case!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I'm just EXTREMELY curious about the definitions, i mean what do you think my reasons for choosing a cat as my Av were? that's one.:)

but i'll try not to worry abbout it and search em up (slow carpy computer)
i mean, that's what the fox says right?

ok i think i'll stop that nao

HP! Messenger
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ulp. It was nice knowing you, RatHead. :P *runs from the wrath of Sleet*
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RatHead

Post by RatHead »

HEY WHERE ARE YOU GOING???WAIT I WANNA ASK YOU A QUESTION!!!!
*runs to catch up with Hlaoroo*

HP! Messenger
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

*sigh* Quickly then, before Sleet gets back. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

tychoaussie wrote::oops: Still not sure what little niche I fit under: Isolated furry, closet furry, greymuzzle furry, non-furry furry, community-minded furry, furry fursuiter, hmm... Truth be told, I haven't run across any 48 y.o. hetero married men w/teen children and an intact 21-year marriage who do this stuff so maybe I'm more like a Tigger furry... Bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, and am I the only one?

I think, you are a community minded fursuiter. And jrodsqod is a furrylike non-furry :mrgreen:. No, whatever... Everybody is doing it a little different or very different and nobody is like the others. Some wear fursuits, some only ears or a tail or whatever, some don't do this at all. Some tell the persons around them some don't. Some meet online, some meet offline, some don't meet. Everybody is an own personality, they does not have to be labeled and pressed in categories. If somebody say he is a furry - fine, if somebody says he isn't a furry - also fine, that does not mean that the last group cannot enjoy or even make furry-art.

RadHead, take care. It seems that you missed what Sleet wrote when I asked him that:
Sleet wrote:
Render wrote:So, what does the fox say?
The fox says "I'm going to bite the next person who asks me that~"
PS: Still like that song.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I'ma sea urchin
Panda Panda Panda
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Punchy wrote:I'ma sea urchin
Don't know how and why, but in some way you statement matches your avatar.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Muse

Post by Muse »

Render wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

RatHead wrote:also your 48? geez, i thought this was more of a teen/young adult thing (I'm 19).
I thought "geez" too. Except my experience was when I found out that Argent used internet since 1980 and I had a BSOD.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

But then that means they have many more years experience, and lived at a time where if you said you were furry people wouldn't know what that is and would assume even worse than they do nowadays. Also a mixed age group is much better than a single audience. :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RatHead wrote:i mean, that's what the fox says right?
*mauls*

*lovingly*
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

You can lovingly chomp someone's major arteries? :lol:
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yup, totally consider myself a furry.

I actually pretty much became a furry before I even knew it was a thing.

It all started when Cartoon Network had this show called "Megas XLR".

I think it was the second episode along...the main hero is piloting his mech in this fight against some alien mech, and his sidekick and comedy relief is sitting in the audience chatting up this furry wolf girl using the old "I taught him everything he knows" line.

From that point on I started drawing what I called "Foxmen"...which were basically furry foxes...(check that, poorly drawn furry foxes...coz I sucked at drawing at the time)...and I thought I was being totally original with my idea...uuuuntil I Googled "Foxmen" and saw other people doing it...from there I kinda took a bit of a round-the-round-the-houses dogleg route into officially becoming part of the furry fandom.

Looking back, I now know I was influenced by other furries before the wolf girl...she was just a catalyst that really sparked my interest...I think my first encounter with a furry is if you count Sonic and Co. back when I was a wee tiddler deading Sonic on spikes in the first level for lols. I always liked Tails better than Sonjic coz Tails could fly...I guess that's what first planted the seed for my love of foxes.

Then there's Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes...though they're more classed as anthromorphs in my definition of what makes a furry a furry.
The "Garfield and Friends" cartoon was another one...
A really big one was "Kong, the animated series"...the characters had these over-ear gadgets that let them fuse with animals to create a form of furries and at the time I always imagined how great it would be if that were a real thing.

That's pretty much as much as I can remember about my path of becoming a furry without going into the life story which would probably take forever to tell.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

The Blue Fox wrote:Then there's Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes...though they're more classed as anthromorphs in my definition of what makes a furry a furry.
Not to mention that Tom and Jerry were the first ones to have cartoon violence down to a science :D .
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

RatHead wrote:by non-furry furry i think you just mean anthro fan, who are generally not furries on their own.
Being a fan of animal with human characteristic is indeed the definition of what a furry fan is.
The problem is that such a definition allows for a lot of people to be at least a tiny little bit furry fans.
But as the saying goes "There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt furry."
Render wrote:Everybody is doing it a little different or very different and nobody is like the others. Some wear fursuits, some only ears or a tail or whatever, some don't do this at all. Some tell the persons around them some don't. Some meet online, some meet offline, some don't meet. Everybody is an own personality, they does not have to be labeled and pressed in categories. If somebody say he is a furry - fine, if somebody says he isn't a furry - also fine, that does not mean that the last group cannot enjoy or even make furry-art.
Since the dawn of classification it has been known that someone who falls into a category is only generalized by it, and can in fact fall into several categories.
The Blue Fox wrote:Yup, totally consider myself a furry.

I think it was the second episode along...the main hero is piloting his mech in this fight against some alien mech, and his sidekick and comedy relief is sitting in the audience chatting up this furry wolf girl using the old "I taught him everything he knows" line.

From that point on I started drawing what I called "Foxmen"...which were basically furry foxes...(check that, poorly drawn furry foxes...coz I sucked at drawing at the time)...and I thought I was being totally original with my idea...uuuuntil I Googled "Foxmen" and saw other people doing it...from there I kinda took a bit of a round-the-round-the-houses dogleg route into officially becoming part of the furry fandom.

Looking back, I now know I was influenced by other furries before the wolf girl...she was just a catalyst that really sparked my interest...I think my first encounter with a furry is if you count Sonic and Co. back when I was a wee tiddler deading Sonic on spikes in the first level for lols. I always liked Tails better than Sonjic coz Tails could fly...I guess that's what first planted the seed for my love of foxes.
Oh, man I remember that show AND that episode.
I don't remeber the wolf girl, though, just Jamie being with three or four aliens girls and saying "Don't make me look bad, man, I've got the number of green-skinned chicks! GREEN-SKINNED CHICKS!"

What surprises me is that, even though my love for talking aimal characters started with dinosaur cartoons (mostly "the land before time".), I already mentioned Disney's Robin Hood really sealed the deal with it's characters.

I wonder, has anyone made several studies about why foxes seem to be by far the most popular animal in media?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

The Blue Fox wrote:Yup, totally consider myself a furry.

Then there's Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes...though they're more classed as anthromorphs in my definition of what makes a furry a furry.
The "Garfield and Friends" cartoon was another one...
A really big one was "Kong, the animated series"...the characters had these over-ear gadgets that let them fuse with animals to create a form of furries and at the time I always imagined how great it would be if that were a real thing.

That's pretty much as much as I can remember about my path of becoming a furry without going into the life story which would probably take forever to tell.
is it possible to be a furry since your childhood like i would for some reason gravitationaly pull tourds furry cartoons and games like when i was little starfox and crash bandicoot and furry cartoons like the newer thundercats and tom and jerry to and im not sure if this would count as a fursuit but i also loved pokemon ... and every year until i was probably 6 i would dress in a very detailed pikachu costume with a tail and everything and i was LITERLY obsessed over pokemon then starfox ... then thundercats but i realized all those things had furrys or anthro animals in them and i was obsessed with lucario for awhile to but ya i think you can in a way be born a furry? :p
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Muse wrote:
Render wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
lol, I should change my avatar to make you sound weird.
Panda Panda Panda
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

TinFoilHats wrote:
The Blue Fox wrote:Then there's Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes...though they're more classed as anthromorphs in my definition of what makes a furry a furry.
Not to mention that Tom and Jerry were the first ones to have cartoon violence down to a science :D .
Hell yeah they did...the original Tom and Jerry were awesome...
...But then when they re-introduced them in Tom And Jerry Tales...
...the formula is still there but I think they mixed it wrong somehow coz it just isn't the same...
...I don't know what they're doing wrong but they're definitely doing something wrong...
...maybe it's the way they're animating it...I've definitely noticed quite a few "off" animation querks in the modern series.

Silly Zealot wrote:
The Blue Fox wrote:It all started when Cartoon Network had this show called "Megas XLR".

Oh, man I remember that show AND that episode.
I don't remeber the wolf girl, though, just Jamie being with three or four aliens girls and saying "Don't make me look bad, man, I've got the number of green-skinned chicks! GREEN-SKINNED CHICKS!"

What surprises me is that, even though my love for talking animal characters started with dinosaur cartoons (mostly "the land before time".), I already mentioned Disney's Robin Hood really sealed the deal with it's characters.

I wonder, has anyone made several studies about why foxes seem to be by far the most popular animal in media?
Oh man I can't believe I totally forgot about Disney's Robin Hood. Loved that movie...though I don't think I watched it until pretty late on in my life so far...on VHS video, no less, coz we STILL have a VHS video player AND it still works.

I've also noticed foxes were becoming more popular of late...I've definitely been seeing more fox-centric documentaries about...but I have no idea why foxes are so popular nowadays...it does sound like something that needs to be studied by someone.

matthew Wolf wrote:It is possible to be a furry since your childhood like i would for some reason gravitationaly pull towards furry cartoons and games like when I was little starfox and crash bandicoot and furry cartoons like the newer thundercats and tom and jerry to and im not sure if this would count as a fursuit but i also loved pokemon ... and every year until i was probably 6 i would dress in a very detailed pikachu costume with a tail and everything and i was LITERALLY obsessed over pokemon then starfox ... then thundercats but i realized all those things had furrys or anthro animals in them and i was obsessed with lucario for awhile to but ya i think you can in a way be born a furry? :p
Oh, god, Crash Bandicoot, Yeah! I still have Crash Bandicoot 1 + 2 for the PS1...which I can still play on the PS2 I still have.
But I don't know about being gravitationally pulled towards furry cartoons and games...
I missed all of the Starfox games somehow, for a start. Haven't played a single one as far as I know...been meaning to hunt 'em down so I can check 'em off my list.
As for fursuiting...I've only ever fursuited once...dressing up as Jess the cat from Postman Pat of all characters XD (coz I just loved that cute little furball at the time...he was the reason I watched the show, I think)
This was back when I was in primary school...not sure how old I was...but I think it was for an in-school fancy dress party they were doing just for fun...I don't really remember much about that day at all, really...only running around the school playground and finding that my tail kept falling off. XD
But yeah I can buy people being "born" a furry...kinda like how homosexuals are "born" homosexual and that. No-one can really tell ya why...it just is. *nods*
Oh, and Lucario is my favourite Poke'mon coz he's awesome and blue and looks sorta like a bi-pedal fox. :3 Closely followed by Vulpix/Ninetails, then Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox, then Zoroa. Yup, all the fox Poke'mon pretty much make up the bulk of the business end of my top favourite poke'mon list.
As for Thundercats, I totally missed the original series and have only seen bits + peices of the re-boot on Cartoon Network.