The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Saturn381

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Last Vegas, and I actually thought it was pretty funny.
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Normally I'm able to tell about 10-15 jokes within the first ten minutes of a bad movie.
38 minutes into Felix the Cat: The Movie, I've told 8.
The implications are sad.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just saw This Is the End. Typically I'm not a fan of those super-vulgar types of comedies but this one was fairly self-aware, which helped it be a lot more tolerable. I enjoyed it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Recently watched Kelly's Heroes and M*A*S*H, they're war comedies both from 1970.
"Kelly's" was odd, it's about a group of soldiers after Nazi gold.
"M*A*S*H" was great. I enjoy the old TV series, but I prefer Donald Sutherland over Alan Alda as captain Hawkeye Pierce.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I just saw a really creepy horror film set in the Old West called "The Burrowers". I don't want to give anything away for the curious, but it is freaky! A race of creatures that feed on buffalo have to find a new food source when White settlers decimate their primary food source.

Also, two new movies arrived in the mail today. "Attack on Leningrad" and "Jungle Emperor Leo". Leo was also released in different versions since the '60s as "Kimba, the White Lion" and there was a controversy going about that "The Lion King" ripped it off. I have not watched "Attack on Leningrad" yet, it got great reviews. It is a Russian war film about the 900 day Siege of Leningrad and centers on Russian soldiers and civilians, and some Western journalists that try to survive the deadly siege.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Can easily join recommendations to see "Attack on Leningrad", liked it when it was aired on TV here. One of the few nicely-made modern Russian movies, though I don't know how much dub could have changed it (if there is any).
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Radio Blue Heart

VEB152 wrote:Can easily join recommendations to see "Attack on Leningrad", liked it when it was aired on TV here. One of the few nicely-made modern Russian movies, though I don't know how much dub could have changed it (if there is any).
I didn't watch the dub. All the Russian and German parts were subtitled and the American characters spoke in English. Sadly, not many Russian films are made available in North America. But, I have seen some other very good Russian films like "Black Lightning" (Чёрная Молния), "Night Watch" (Ночной дозор), "Day Watch" (Дневной дозор), "9th Company" (9 Рота) and "Trackman" (Путевой обходчик).
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Ender's Game, and I thought it was pretty good.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

House of 1000 Corpses and the sequel: The Devils Rejects, are both interesting and Funny (Special Rob Zombie comedy) movies

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Saturn381 wrote:Just came back from seeing Ender's Game, and I thought it was pretty good.
huh, I saw it today too. I also enjoyed it
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Thor: the Dark World was a good time. Nothing really groundbreaking or life-changing or anything, but a solid piece of entertainment. Marvel knows how to make its movies fun.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Saturn381 wrote:Just came back from seeing Ender's Game, and I thought it was pretty good.
Harrison Ford appeared to be on Ambien the whole time.

This felt like the soulless end product of a rushed production process, a "Do we have something like that, too?" deal in the post-Harry Potter, -Hunger Games YA fiction craze.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Just watched Ichi the Killer last night. I liked it just don't ask me to explain it. Quite an experience.
RatHead wrote:House of 1000 Corpses and the sequel: The Devils Rejects, are both interesting and Funny (Special Rob Zombie comedy) movies
Glad someone else here appreciates Rob Zombie's films. Those are two of my favorite movies.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
jrodsqod

Post by jrodsqod »

Penwrite wrote:Thor: the Dark World was a good time. Nothing really groundbreaking or life-changing or anything, but a solid piece of entertainment. Marvel knows how to make its movies fun.
Absolutely! I didn't know how Marvel would continue the story, but they pulled it off pretty well!
My aunt almost got us kicked out for taking a picture of Thor without his shirt. :lol:
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Seth wrote:Just watched Ichi the Killer last night. I liked it just don't ask me to explain it. Quite an experience.
RatHead wrote:House of 1000 Corpses and the sequel: The Devils Rejects, are both interesting and Funny (Special Rob Zombie comedy) movies
Glad someone else here appreciates Rob Zombie's films. Those are two of my favorite movies.
Yep! good films, though i haven't finished TDR yet, started it on Wednesday with a friend right after watching Ho1C, i promised him that i wouldn't finish it without him (and he lives next door to me so why would I?:)
also: COOL onother Rob Zombie and Metal Fan! Woohoo! /,,/ /,,/

HP! Messenger
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

RatHead wrote:
Seth wrote:Just watched Ichi the Killer last night. I liked it just don't ask me to explain it. Quite an experience.
Yep! good films, though i haven't finished TDR yet, started it on Wednesday with a friend right after watching Ho1C, i promised him that i wouldn't finish it without him (and he lives next door to me so why would I?:)
also: COOL onother Rob Zombie and Metal Fan! Woohoo! /,,/ /,,/
Oooooh you're in for a treat. The second half of that movie is awesome! Have you seen Lords of Salem or his remake of Halloween yet?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Halloween, yes; Lords of Salem, no, i just moved to Tennesee from Idaho, where there was a big video rental store (Hastings), now all i got is Redbox, and the ones near me don't have it. oh and, i saw a couple clips one of the ending (2 minute clips) and it does really look, lookin forward to the Finish :D

HP! Messenger
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

RatHead wrote:Halloween, yes; Lords of Salem, no, i just moved to Tennesee from Idaho, where there was a big video rental store (Hastings), now all i got is Redbox, and the ones near me don't have it, so i'm lookin for a bootleg. yarrrrrr :) oh and, i saw a couple clips one of the ending (2 minute clips) and it does really look, lookin forward to the Finish :D
I'm lucky enough to have a Dad that's almost as into Rob Zombie as me so I got to see it in theatres. Good luck finding it It's a good one. Definitely strange off the wall and even perplexing at times. But it never loses sight of being straight up creepy and menacing.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

finished TDR last night with my friend, my DAD even watched the end 0_0
and it was GREAT, but what's the diffeerence between the 2? what's the NC-17 one like?

HP! Messenger
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's consider the rating of the forums before we answer that.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Radio Blue Heart

RatHead wrote:finished TDR last night with my friend, my DAD even watched the end 0_0
and it was GREAT, but what's the diffeerence between the 2? what's the NC-17 one like?
Extra gore and violence. But nothing you probably have not seen before. The MPAA likes to overreact some times.

Speaking of Rob Zombie films, have either of you seen his foray into animation "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto"? It is way out there!
-Virgil
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Sorry Dissension, i'll try and keep it under control.
RadioBlue I have not seen that, and thanks for tellin me, i might have to watch the other version anyway sometime (i'm attracted to that stuff when I'm watching horror movies, i don't know why) do you know if it(El Superbeasto, which I have heard of, just forgot about)'s on youtube? if not that's OK, i'll just find it on one of my *ahem* sites >:)

HP! Messenger
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I wish to remind everyone that talk of anything illegal is also forbidden.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
RatHead wrote:finished TDR last night with my friend, my DAD even watched the end 0_0
Extra gore and violence. But nothing you probably have not seen before. The MPAA likes to overreact some times.

Speaking of Rob Zombie films, have either of you seen his foray into animation "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto"? It is way out there!
Yes. I watched it a couple years ago. Two hours of my life well spent.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:

Watched El Suberbeast during lunch yesterday and, WOW

HP! Messenger
Radio Blue Heart

RatHead wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

And I bet you had a fun time spotting all the cameos. Did you see Captain Spaulding, Otis Driftwood and Banjo & Sullivan in their animated forms?

I got a cheap $10 television at Goodwill and none too soon. My next round of movies have started to arrive by mail!

Last night I watched "Stake Land". It is the film "I Am Legend" with Will Smith should have been. Its about a teenage boy who lost his family and an old drifter surviving on the road during a vampire plague! Its really good. Well acted and directed, scary and the creature and gore effects look amazing for a film of this budget. I know there are going to be comparisons to "Zombieland" but this film is FAR superior. It also has a far darker tone and there is no search for twinkies.

And today I watch Lucio Fulci's "Conquest", a surreal and violent "sword and sorcery" epic and "Creepshow 2" which I have not seen in a very long time. By the weekend I should have my copies of George A. Romero's "The Crazies" ( the original 1973 version) and "Bride of Re-Animator".

Hey, RatHead, your dad sounds pretty cool to watch a movie like that with you!
-Virgil
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
RatHead wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote: Extra gore and violence. But nothing you probably have not seen before. The MPAA likes to overreact some times.

And I bet you had a fun time spotting all the cameos. Did you see Captain Spaulding, Otis Driftwood and Banjo & Sullivan in their animated forms?

I got a cheap $10 television at Goodwill and none too soon. My next round of movies have started to arrive by mail!

Last night I watched "Stake Land". It is the film "I Am Legend" with Will Smith should have been. Its about a teenage boy who lost his family and an old drifter surviving on the road during a vampire plague! Its really good. Well acted and directed, scary and the creature and gore effects look amazing for a film of this budget. I know there are going to be comparisons to "Zombieland" but this film is FAR superior. It also has a far darker tone and there is no search for twinkies.

And today I watch Lucio Fulci's "Conquest", a surreal and violent "sword and sorcery" epic and "Creepshow 2" which I have not seen in a very long time. By the weekend I should have my copies of George A. Romero's "The Crazies" ( the original 1973 version) and "Bride of Re-Animator".

Hey, RatHead, your dad sounds pretty cool to watch a movie like that with you!
To the Cameos, yes, yes, and yes, but you forgot Mike Myers :)

Yeah, i like to watch movies on my computer

well, i never saw all of I am Legend, but I liked what I saw, so I'll definitly check out Stake Land, Sounds interesting that's for sure! And, wait, NO twinkies? well that's OK, I like the snowballs better :)

*adds those movies to list of movies to watch* they sound interesting, i have heard of The Crazies Before

Have You ever seen Eraserhead? I heard it's good. I also saw part of Jacobs Ladder once, need to finish it. and Lastly, Have you heard of the movie Mirrors? I graduated from a military academy about a year and a half ago, and a movie i was recommended by a friend was Mirrors, he said that it was the scariest movie he and the friends he watched it with had ever seen, and that they went around to all the rooms in he building and took d0wn all the mirrors, and during Halloween NOBODY was able to surprise this guy or scare him AT ALL,...

And yeah he is a cool guy, but he hated the movie, i don't even know why he sat down to watch it with us! (friend and I). We (friend & I) were watching it on my tiny little 10" netbook screen, and he offered to turn on the mac (20") so that we could finish it on there and we said yes; he sat down to watch it with us........

HP! Messenger
Radio Blue Heart

That's pretty cool. My dad was odd about what he let me watch when I was little. I remember being 5 or 6 and he would let me watch "Zombie", "The Beyond", "Re-Animator" and "Day of the Dead". But, for some strange reason, if he caught me watching "Ren and Stimpy" he would hit me with a belt!

"Eraserhead" and "Jacob's Ladder" are really good films. Don't worry if you don't fully understand them the on the first viewing, it takes some repeat viewings before you can wrap your hear around them. I though "Mirrors" was alright, not that spectacular.

Remember if you see "The Crazies", I suggest the original 1973 version. The remake that cam out in 2010 was kind of weak. There are about a dozen "saved at the last second" moments in it. Its just bad writing in an attempt to create tension.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really need to watch some David Lynch movies. He seems really interesting. Also Alfred Hitchcock. I haven't seen any of his movies! Is that not a crime?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Going to see Catching Fire next Saturday. Looking so forward to it.
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:I really need to watch some David Lynch movies. He seems really interesting. Also Alfred Hitchcock. I haven't seen any of his movies! Is that not a crime?
Not really. Even though Hitchcock was an innovator, I always thought he was just a little overrated. I read his biography once and he when to a great deal of trouble to take credit from the writers of his screen plays. I always like Dario Argento better. He's been called the "Italian Alfred Hitchcock".

You cannot go wrong with David Lynch. His stuff may be a little hard to understand at times but you can have a lot of fun dissecting all the symbolism and subtext of his films.

So, my copy of "The Crazies" showed up yesterday and the seller on Amazon messed up. They sent me the remake instead of the original. I called their customer service line and they refunded me. I asked if they wanted me to send them what they had sent and they said no. They said I could do whatever I wanted with it so I handed it off to a random person.
-Virgil
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:So, my copy of "The Crazies" showed up yesterday and the seller on Amazon messed up. They sent me the remake instead of the original. I called their customer service line and they refunded me. I asked if they wanted me to send them what they had sent and they said no. They said I could do whatever I wanted with it so I handed it off to a random person.
Spread the "Joy", I guess, right?

HP! Messenger
Radio Blue Heart

RatHead wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:So, my copy of "The Crazies" showed up yesterday and the seller on Amazon messed up. They sent me the remake instead of the original. I called their customer service line and they refunded me. I asked if they wanted me to send them what they had sent and they said no. They said I could do whatever I wanted with it so I handed it off to a random person.
Not really. That was really BAD remake and I have seen a lot of bad remakes. Its just poorly written. It seems every five minutes there was a last minute save. It was like they were trying to build some sort of suspense and wrote themselves into a corner and then there was a last minute save by one of the other characters. It also really lacked the nihilistic ending that the original had. Much like his previous horror film "Night of the Living Dead", Romero gave "The Crazies" a downer of an ending to drive home the horror.

Personally I like down beat endings. I have heard people bad mouth perfectly good horror films simply because they did not have a happy ending.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Ever seen either version of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark? Now there's a nice, downbeat ending for ya!
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Penwrite wrote:Ever seen either version of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark? Now there's a nice, downbeat ending for ya!
DANGIT! you JUST beat me to it, literally I was coming to ask about that movie!!!! (and it is awesome "What do you want?" "We Want YOU*screeches*")and i saw the original ending, where the mom gets sucked into the FURnace (little furry joke there : ) there's another? Can you link me to it?

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
RatHead wrote:
Not really. That was really BAD remake and I have seen a lot of bad remakes. Its just poorly written. It seems every five minutes there was a last minute save. It was like they were trying to build some sort of suspense and wrote themselves into a corner and then there was a last minute save by one of the other characters. It also really lacked the nihilistic ending that the original had. Much like his previous horror film "Night of the Living Dead", Romero gave "The Crazies" a downer of an ending to drive home the horror.

Personally I like down beat endings. I have heard people bad mouth perfectly good horror films simply because they did not have a happy ending.
I know, that's why "joy" was in quotes, and i beleve you and will watch it as soon as possible,

Same here, not everything's all happiness and roses people!!!!

HP! Messenger
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

With Don't Be Afraid of the Dark there's the original 1973 made-for-TV original and then the 2011 remake, written by Guillermo Del Toro. Which was it you saw?
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

2011, which was good i thougfht, how was the original compared to it?

HP! Messenger
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:With Don't Be Afraid of the Dark there's the original 1973 made-for-TV original and then the 2011 remake, written by Guillermo Del Toro. Which was it you saw?
I saw the 1973 version as a kid. It is really, really creepy!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:I really need to watch some David Lynch movies. He seems really interesting. Also Alfred Hitchcock. I haven't seen any of his movies! Is that not a crime?
Maybe the hitchcock part. Rear window and Psycho are classics, and for good reason. Lynch is great if you're into surrealism. If you aren't you'll probably just hate him.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Seth wrote:Rear window and Psycho are classics, and for good reason...
I REALLY need to watch psycho

HP! Messenger