Re: Favorite band

Post by Slippery-Q »

Ska is just.. yes.

Skankin' Pickle
SUBB
Catch It Kebabs
Tim Armstrong
Mustard Plug
Operation Ivy (Though they are more punk than ska.)

Some of my favorite Ska bands. :>
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Punk fusions generally make for the best music. Dance-punk, celtic-punk, thrash metal, ska, new wave..
devils

Post by devils »

Sleet wrote: Cool, us too (if we go). If I knew you at all, and if it wouldn't be totally weird to explain to my friend, we could meet up.
that'd be awesome!
Cinder:S:5 P:6 E:3 C:5 I:8 A:7 L:2
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

yeah, I know this is kind've grave diggin'...but I don't know why this thread died. It seems to me that this thread could always be used. It's not quite as big as the music section, but it has it's own unique apeal.
Sleet wrote:
44R0NM10 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love loads of music. Lady GaGa, Muse, The Offspring...I've liked them all! Overall, the one band that I've never stopped loving since I heard their first song is Dragonforce. Amazing!
You mean their only song? :3
haha...very funny Sleet. You know, I thought you meant the fact that the only song that had massive success was 'through the fire and flames' thanks to guitar hero. Now, I want you to listen to 'Starfire' and 'last journey home'. How simliar are they, hmm ;) . Starfire was from Dragonforce's first album, and last journey home is from their latest (not including the remakes.)

Also, I wanted to say Rise Against are getting rather high on my list of fav' bands. Nice punk songs, but they also so one of my favorite songs 'Hero of war'.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Two gallants. Not that anyone has heard of them. Next would probably be the killers.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

44R0NM10 wrote:How simliar are they, hmm ;)
Quite, actually. :3 They're matured a little, I'll give them that.

First album aside, their songs tend to be 30 unique seconds followed by 7 and a half minutes of the same solos at the same tempo. It seems the 30 seconds is getting longer, but the rest is still pretty much the same.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Killers are always awesome, Typhon. I've listened to Steady rollin' by Two gallants and I like that :) .

Ok Sleet. I thought I'd catch you out there :? . Oh well, I could carry on this argument (heart of the dragon? Reasons to live? Soldiers of the wasteland?), but since so many of their songs are similar unless you've listened to them all several times...it wouldn't go anywhere. Still, I will say I've seen them live and they're been the best band I've seen live!

How many bands have I seen live? hmm...I think...1.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have listened to several of them many times. I never said I didn't like them, I just said they have poor flexibility. Like how they wrote the song in the video you linked at a slower tempo than usual and sped up for the solo section and back down again afterward. They can only play guitar solos at one tempo.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
devils

Post by devils »

Sleet wrote:I have listened to several of them many times. I never said I didn't like them, I just said they have poor flexibility. Like how they wrote the song in the video you linked at a slower tempo than usual and sped up for the solo section and back down again afterward. They can only play guitar solos at one tempo.
i agree with you 100% on this

i think that if Dragonforce maybe changed up the temp of their songs a bit and actually had decent live performances, they could at least extend their staying power just a bit. But in terms of power metal bands, Dragonforce is probably near the middle-bottom
Last edited by devils on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Wait...are you saying they slowed that song down? (instead of all the incorrect controversy of them speeding it up?) If you mean Starfire, I'm sure they can play it slow in the least (I heard them play it live). I guess they could've wrote it fast, before slowing it down.

And sorry, I'm used to everyone disliking Dragonforce. I didn't mean to put up an agressive tone, however. Either way, you're right about the poor flexability. My point is that not all their songs are the same. To be honest, you're right about the first album. They are the most unique when compared to the other 3 albums.

I'm still putting up a stern tone...dang...erm, imagine I'm riding a unicorn while saying this.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Don't feel bad, I don't dislike Dragonforce. Their songs aren't bad, but IMO they're nothing special to me. Remember that when discussing music that everyone has their own opinion, and to respect it.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

devils

Post by devils »

Alex wrote:Don't feel bad, I don't dislike Dragonforce. Their songs aren't bad, but IMO they're nothing special to me. Remember that when discussing music that everyone has their own opinion, and to respect it.
I'm the same way, i don't dislike them at all, they have talent, but maybe it's just because i'm used to listening to Progressive music that the lack of variety doesn't do much for me. Don't get me wrong though, i love me some power metal every once in a while, i think if they try changing up their sound a little bit that they'd be able to do more.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

You know...I wish my friends at school were more like you guys. :D
devils

Post by devils »

44R0NM10 wrote:You know...I wish my friends at school were more like you guys. :D
i was lucky enough to convert some of my friends to metal.
btw if you want some good power metal bands, listen to:

Edguy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3CMlvrkN0
Galneryus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAfatAMOQ4
Amon Amarth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Edguy amazed me. That was really good.
Galneryus were also really great, although I half expected a bit from the 'Death Note' to appear in the middle!
Amon Amarth; I liked the music. It was unfotuneatly my least favorite of the 3. The vocals are what put me off, don't get me wrong I like it...I just prefer the clean feeling in the other two bands (also in Dragonforce).
devils

Post by devils »

44R0NM10 wrote:Edguy amazed me. That was really good.
Galneryus were also really great, although I half expected a bit from the 'Death Note' to appear in the middle!
Amon Amarth; I liked the music. It was unfotuneatly my least favorite of the 3. The vocals are what put me off, don't get me wrong I like it...I just prefer the clean feeling in the other two bands (also in Dragonforce).
Edguy is an awesome band and so is Galneryus(although they got a new singer and he's not as good as Yama-B)
Amon Amarth i just threw in there because i felt like i need three bands lol

as for the 'Death Note' comment, if you don't know what band does the intro it's Maximum The Hormone and they are just amazing!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

This thread is turning too much like the music thread sadly. We'd best either take this conversation over there or end it. I'd prefer this thread not to be locked for being too simliar after all.

Of course thanks. I know Edguy is in my top 3 active bands from now on! Thanks for telling me about the others as well, but that's the one that appeals to me the most!
devils

Post by devils »

oh yeah, we should move it over to the music thread then