HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

valerio

Re: HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

Post by valerio »

TheMobian wrote:I heard from someone that Fino actually made it into this FanFic! Is that true!? :D I still have to go back and read through it, but if that is so, then kudos to you Valero for being awesome!!! XD This just made my day, and I'm now going to have to start reading this story XP
Yush! Fino made it here, and with an awesome illustration by Stu, too!

Oh, and BTW everyone: I'm on a summer minisabbatical, will go back to writing on September 1st. Sorry for the delay!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I just read the first 2 entries, Star Crossed and it's prequel.
Not sure if I ship grapenut or grapewell.
It feels bad pushing Max aside.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
valerio

Post by valerio »

MrNeonShot wrote:I just read the first 2 entries, Star Crossed and it's prequel.
Not sure if I ship grapenut or grapewell.
It feels bad pushing Max aside.
enjoy SYMPHONY IN PERIWINKLE now, then ;)
G'aunt_The_Overlord
Location: Arlandia, Vorru, Kanakra, Serus Galaxy, Dimension 7

Post by G'aunt_The_Overlord »

Even Val knows when a "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" is needed :D
valerio

Post by valerio »

G'aunt_The_Overlord wrote:Even Val knows when a "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" is needed :D
*bows* thank you, kind Sir! :D
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Val, way back when you pretty much called it concerning Dragon's feelings for Peanut.
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
valerio

Post by valerio »

Cerberusx wrote:Val, way back when you pretty much called it concerning Dragon's feelings for Peanut.
...and now Max and Draggie are starting to talk. Heh! :lol:
valerio

Post by valerio »

Bigglesworth House, Babylon Gardens

When Max left the house, he looked as if he had won a lottery.
“I thought you would be upset,” Joey said, while walking with him.
The black cat was almost purring. “Are you kidding me?! My litter will be so perfect: I mean, it’s pure, concentrated prank essence waiting to happen!” He suddenly put himself in front of the dog, a finger poking against Joey’s chest. “And you will not dare to keep them away from me! You can teach them everything you know about dressing up like mice if they want, playing that weird stuff and all…but I will not let you waste such a potential!”
Joey raised his paws in defense. “Even if I tried, I am outnumbered already, believe me. But no hurting people or pets, ok? You’ll teach them to be fair and square.”
Max nodded. “It’ll do.” Then he sighed, a dreamy look in her eyes. “I’m gonna leave my mark into the future. Thank you, runt!” He suddenly hugged and kissed Joey on his cheek!
The poor dog stuttered a lot before saying. “Eh, uh…thank you. But don’t do that again please.”
Max showed him the tongue tip. “Aw, you’re no fun. See ya!” And off he went, whistling and moving as if he was the king of the street…
But when he was sure he was out of the Biggles’ radar, he walked to the park, where he found a bench in an isolated spot. He sat down with a sigh, and by now his face didn’t look so pleased. Max looked around one last time, then leaned against the backrest. To no one in particular, he said, “I feel like I’m cheating on you baby.”
And there she was: An anthropomorphic emerald dragon…wearing a sleeveless shirt and white jeans, sitting next to the black cat. “You are not. Well—not the way you fear, my sweet Maxwell.”
Somehow, she was the only one who could speak his whole name and make it sound better. Max smiled. “It’s just that…I like the idea of my own litter.”
“I know.” Dragon’s tail swished a bit…as if wagging.
Max frowned. “Do you have to do that?”
This time it was her turn to blush. “Sorry, force of habit.”
“After hanging out too much with Peanut? I mean, girl: You didn’t even get to be her girlfriend!”
“Maxwell, that story’s over okay? He made his own decision, not even demigods can force mortals to do otherwise, not without unpleasant consequences. And what I wanted was…something real, genuine. Something I found in you.”
Max winked and rubbed his knuckles against his chest. “Dear, you chose the best, what can I say? Not to mention that no girlfriend of mine could make me prank Elvis! I live for adventure, and you’re giving me the lot, so…” He reached over and kissed her cheek. “Thank you for choosing me, eventually, baby. How can I make you happy?”
Her long tail wrapped him and pulled him over into her arms. “Just let’s share these moments. You know…Pete was always afraid of ending up inhabiting a mortal body if he lost the Game, he’s obsessed with losing control of his own time.
“But in moments like this, I can feel it running, second after second, and…when I am with you I can feel how precious it feels. I can see why some mortals crave to use it to its best, to make it count. And how good it feels when accomplishment is reached.”
“And you feel accomplished with me?”
Dragon nodded. She kissed his head fur. “I love you, Maxwell.”
“Forgive me for asking, but you loved—“
“Maxwell, whomever my feelings went to in the past, let that past be buried. Don’t feel threatened. Unlike…well, many of you mortals, I respect your free will, it’s in my nature. Peanut chose Grape long, long before he chose me or Tarot. And Grape was meant to Peanut, not you.”
Max huddled up against her, but his eyes were looking at his feet swinging slowly back and forth. “And are we meant for each other? I mean, talk about weird couples. And I lost many times in love, I wasn’t good enough for Sabrina, for Selene, and I fear Allegra got a thing for Fox. Heh, once I’d thought that was crazy but now what with all the mixed couples going around, I realize that I’ve been beaten at least twice by dogs for crying it out—mmpph!” He was cut short by a gentle and deep dragon kiss! His initial surprise melted a moment later in that first, intimate experience.
“Better?” Dragon said, when she broke the kiss.
Max definitely looked as if he had gone high off a mix of ambrosia, catnip and soda. Hadn’t been for the scaled body holding him, he would have slipped down and off the bench. “Geeee!”
Her claw played with his mute collar bell. “Do you know what’s the difference between me and the other girls, Maxwell? I can read your heart and life better than anyone else. Belonging to my order has its advantages. And before you say it, yes, with Peanut I had deluded myself. Through Tarot’s eyes, I had let myself involved against the truth and his predestined path. Yours is so…chaotic, open to all possibilities. And I can see what we can be together.”
Max was purring loudly now. “You are talking as if you didn’t care for the Game anymore.”
“Not exactly, but…it’s drawing toward its conclusion. And Pete is going to be the winner. For him to lose, I would have to summon a chain of nefarious events, and that would go to the detriment of animals and humans.”
Max frowned, interested. “So, his plans for our equality are working after all.”
Another nod. “It will bring on a new era. The return of the fabled golden age, when there were no ‘masters’ and ‘pets’. Where ‘civilization’ encompassed everyone embracing it, not a dominant species. It will take its time, but this time it will come.” She smiled tenderly at him. “That’s why I have no qualms against you giving birth to a new generation, my sweet Maxwell: Your progeny will see the sun shining over that era. A part of you will live on, and we will watch them grow free from the Heavens. And in the meantime, I can enjoy my time as a mortal being, with you. So let Pete enjoy his victory. I will butt in only should something wrong happen.”
“Sounds like a plan. And speaking of plans, I thought about doing my donor duties after the reading soiree. And I will be needing a charming girl to accompany me.” He flashed her his best grin. “Are you up to the challenge, baby?”
Dragon blinked. “Do you mean, like…” Her hands ran along her body. “Like this?”
Max nodded. “Let’s fry their brains, baby. If I wanted you to appear with another shape, I’d ask out to another girl. And let’s face it, how many cats can go to a party with a live mythological dragon? We’ll steal the spotlight just by being there. Hm?”
Dragon laughed. “I say thee yea, Maxwell. I like your spirit! And to prove it to you…” She dropped the spell that had allowed them to stay hidden to sight and ear.
A moment later, someone in the background ran into someone else with a sound of pain and cracked bones. Someone else ran into a tree. A car screeched.
“Awesome,” Max said. Life was good!
---
Milton Wolves’ house

“Ambassador?” Miles said. He wasn’t sure he had gotten it right.
Keene nodded. “Ambassador. You see, our Zachary here,” the ferret pointed at the rabbit sitting on the couch. Zach’s lip was twitching nervously “would make the perfect representative to promote the new animal rights politics. Unfortunately, he tends to suffer from stage fright. Angry predators make him nervous.” Right, Zachy-kit?”
*twitch-twitch*
“So, who better than you, big alpha, to show the forest folks that civilization is not just an empty word, that ferals can mix with domestic and become a big family? Zach here will confirm it: He’s the Opener of Ways, them guys love him –heck, they come here in pilgrimage!”
“But—“ Miles tried. He was interrupted by a pat on the leg.
“Big cub, don’t worry: Martin will come with you. I will come with you. We are the Dream Team. Nothing can go wrong. Before you know it, we’ll all be eating by a nice campfire, sing songs and dance all together and all that mushy stuff. Before election day comes, humans must see we are working in the right direction.”
Miles threw a glance at Zachary. Zachary answered with a nervous smile…well, he was smiling because a certain fox was pulling his lips from behind his back. The wolf sighed. “I don’t know: There are pretty hostile animals out there. Like my sister Boadicea and her pack. And…well, she can be pretty persuasive with the others.” Not to mention that she hates humans so much as to attack them and endanger their lives. She had a bad reputation, that kind of reputation that makes humans wary of wolves at large.
Keene nodded gravely. “In this case, it will be our duty to put her position in the minority. She will have to adapt, Miles. And that’s why we’ll be having our own bodyguard.” He snapped his fingers, and into the room walked a fearsome figure.
Volant Milton-Male. The Rhodesian ridgeback grinned and cracked his knuckles. “Believe me, wolf: I can be very persuasive.”
---
Lindberg house. Fox’s room.

“So? Do you like it?” the Husky asked, hesitantly.
The azure female cat did a pirouette, then started sniffing at the air, at the delicious smell of books filling it. There are so many! “I love it, Fox! Do you spend all of your allowance in books?”
Fox shuffled his feet. “No, I also spend some on music, stuff…but yes, most goes into books. Heh, I’m almost out of space, I will have to get a Kindle, but…” he made a face. “Meh, not really a fan of it.”
Allegra sat on the beanbag. “Why? I think it’s practical.”
“It is. I could have all of my books in one device and save room…but then I couldn’t enjoy the scent.” Fox tapped his nose. “Half of a dog’s world is his nose, and I love a book’s smell: Makes it tolerable even when it’s a mediocre one. And the rustle the different kind of papers do when I read one...”
“I see what you mean,” Allegra said. “Sorry, but my world is made of too many smells. I want to hold something clean and odorless for once.”
Fox chuckled. “Guess you deal with too many, what with your job at Heatcliff’s.”
She nodded. “Definitely. Promise you won’t laugh if I tell you a secret?”
“Cross my heart.”
Allegra looked around as if fearing to be heard. Then, almost whispering in his ear, “I love to take baths!”
---
The Garden of Eden farm

“Aren’t you upset?” King asked, as he pressed hard into the stone floor with his scrubbing brush.
“Upset about what?” one of the cows in the pen asked. A female Australian Shepherd was milking her.
“You guys are raised to be eaten, for Pete’s sake!” the Corgi replied. He was panting. “Or, anyway, to just have a walk out and then spend the time here like-like…Bah!”
Another cow said. “Look, pup: What would we do if free? We’re prey species, we’d just spend the time looking out for predators and hoping drought won’t kill our grass and leave us dying of thirst.”
“Yeah,” said another cow. “Or that bad weather won’t make us sick. Or maladies.”
The first cow bent her head down, and when she lifted it up again, she was chewing some fresh grass. “We got food, shelter, and a longer life than in the wild.”
“And don’t forget TV,” said the second. “And internet. That voice-activated computer is cool.”
“As for the eating part,” the first cow said. “Pup, we all die. Again, we’re prey species: Here, at least, humans won’t take our young and wait as long as possible before turning us into their meal. But we’re treated well, much better than many others in those horrible industrial farms. Now, if I could vote it would be against such treatment.”
“So right, Lucinda, so right.”
“Playing with your food?” said someone from the door.
King turned. His face became dark. “Oh. Hey…Joel.”
The man was pushing a cart filled with sacks of animal food. His shirt was drenched. “Enjoying your job so far?”
“I stink like cow and something unpleasant. No offense meant, ma’am. I need a long bath. I want aliquid nitrogen ice lolly. I want to hug my wife. What about you, big ape?”
Joel took the sacks and put them on a pile near the stalls. “I wish I was sent back to prison. It wouldn’t be so hard, there.”
King went back to scrubbing. What he really hated was that within the next day he’d have to do it again… “Ask you a question?”
The man leaned against the sacks, glad for any excuse for a break. “Shoot, shorty.”
“Do you remember when…those dogs attacked Helias and the others?”
Joel nodded. He wanted to ask back, ‘Do you?’, but he had to keep up the charade of the corgi being his former dog, since there were witnesses and cows weren’t dumb. “Only to a point. My memory’s still fuzzy. Why?”
“I asked Fido.” He couldn’t tell openly that he had seen those events in a memory flashback during his trip to limbo. “According to police reports, the remains they found belonged to two dogs. And no traces of white fur among them.”
Joel’s eyes narrowed. “But we know she’s dead.” King had actually spoken to her ghost, Joel had seen it…
“But don’t you want to know what happened to her? I think she deserves that. I…” King sighed, his eyes shaded by sadness. “I want to know. She tried to save…you. At least to honor her memory, don’t you think?”
Joel nodded without hesitating. For once, they were on the same wavelength. “What’s the plan?”
Last edited by valerio on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkWolf670

Post by DarkWolf670 »

Hey i am new to this thing :oops: but i have been reading your fanfics for a while now and they are awesome :D :D :D i am trying to catch up to your newest one because i just love what you're writing. keep up the good work :D i will write again once i caught up.
I WANT TO HUG AND PLAY WITH EVERYBODY!!!
JUST DON'T HURT MY FRIENDS OR I WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE!!! Have Fun :)
http://ask.fm/DarkWolf670 <--ask me something stupid if you like
http://darkwolfsblog.tumblr.com/ <--follow me post things :3
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Where do I get the Grapenut banner?
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Fox... the cat lover?!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Dang. I was hoping tarot and fox would get together. Haven't read it yet.
valerio

Post by valerio »

DarkWolf670 wrote:Hey i am new to this thing :oops: but i have been reading your fanfics for a while now and they are awesome :D :D :D i am trying to catch up to your newest one because i just love what you're writing. keep up the good work :D i will write again once i caught up.
Welcome, new reader and new poster: your first post in this forum and it is for me! I am honored :D :D
And don't worry, there is a LOT to be told yet! :lol:
MrNeonShot wrote:Where do I get the Grapenut banner?
Right-click and select Copy Image Address, then go to your user control panel, and in the 'edit signature', paste the address you selected. Done!
Kitch wrote:Fox... the cat lover?!
Didn't say so, kind Sir. What gave you the idea?
MrNeonShot wrote:Dang. I was hoping tarot and fox would get together. Haven't read it yet.
Finding the special one for Tarot ain't easy. But I'm working on it. ;)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I love how you always make little nods to the recent comics.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Legotron123 wrote:I love how you always make little nods to the recent comics.
Supreme inspiration, how to resist it? :lol:
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I hit copy URL, but it just keeps putting the link, not the picture.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

*ahem*
[img]URL[/img] ;)

Valerio! You crazy shipper, you! :lol:
Also master of intrigue. You have me intrigued. What will King and Joel do next? :ugeek: *ponder*
valerio

Post by valerio »

MrNeonShot wrote:I hit copy URL, but it just keeps putting the link, not the picture.
ach. I don't know how to help then :oops:
Obbl wrote:*ahem*
[img]URL[/img] ;)

Valerio! You crazy shipper, you! :lol:
Also master of intrigue. You have me intrigued. What will King and Joel do next? :ugeek: *ponder*
Oh, whatever it is, stay sure it will be a nice surprise (Like the image link you tried to post, I guess :lol: )
andyyee

Post by andyyee »

I mean, talk about weird couples. And I lost many times in love, I wasn’t good enough for Sabrina, for Selene, and I fear Allegra got a thing for Fox. Heh, once I’d thought that crazy but now what with all the mixed couples going around, I realize that I’ve been beaten at least twice by dogs for crying it out—mmpph!
I find it ironic that Max can say this when he's falling in love with a magical (is there any other kind left?) dragon that, except in special circumstances, has only been seen by a handful of humans/animals. Although, it's a great twist; it still was a bit of a surprise, as they seemed to have passed out of the partners in troublemaking stage pretty quick :).

Great update, Valerio! Just started reading a couple of months ago, and read straight through the series.

Edit: Just noticed: I was reading last Friday's comic, and I was commenting that Max - SD were leaning toward your ficcie, but their story's going way past the point of "just friends" now :).
Last edited by andyyee on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

andyyee wrote:I find it ironic that Max can say this when he's falling in love with a magical (is there any other kind left?) dragon that, except in special circumstances, has only been seen by a handful of humans/animals. Although, it's a great twist; it still was a bit of a surprise, as they seemed to have passed out of the partners in troublemaking stage pretty quick :).
Great update, Valerio! Just started reading a couple of months ago, and read straight through the series.
First of all, thank you a lot for being a reader of my work! :D
Well, for once I didn't spend much into describing how Max and Dragon fell for each other, thus causing the impression that it happened quite quick -a mistake that I am going to correct as this episode proceeds (and as more will be told in the future).
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Thanks bro.
I need to read some more.
G'aunt_The_Overlord
Location: Arlandia, Vorru, Kanakra, Serus Galaxy, Dimension 7

Post by G'aunt_The_Overlord »

OMG! that has to be the longest prologue ever! :shock:
That had tp be the best fanfic ever written (only if it was just the prologue)! If only the real Housepets! went this way!
DarkWolf670

Post by DarkWolf670 »

:oops: srry for this random post i am still shy :oops: just to let you guys know what part i am reading... season 2 episode 12
and i started a ask thing cuz i was bored :/ so here is the link http://ask.fm/DarkWolf670 if you want to ask anything go ahead. knock your self out
I WANT TO HUG AND PLAY WITH EVERYBODY!!!
JUST DON'T HURT MY FRIENDS OR I WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE!!! Have Fun :)
http://ask.fm/DarkWolf670 <--ask me something stupid if you like
http://darkwolfsblog.tumblr.com/ <--follow me post things :3
valerio

Post by valerio »

Lindberg House

“You are laughing!” Allegra said, her hackles raising.
Fox shook his head again. His eyes were tearing. His cheeks were swollen. His eyes had almost completely shrunk. His shoulders were shaking.
“You promised!” Allegra stomped her foot. “I love taking baths, what’s so funny?!”
Fox just fell down on his knees and started laughing crazy, holding his tummy. “Odog, odog, odog, forgive me…please forgive me! It’s just that—a bath-loving cat, hee hee hee…”
Allegra turned, crossing her arms indignantly, and gave him her back. “In this case, you can do the reading soiree without moi, Mr. Stereotypical! And I recommend you take a good mud bath before stepping onto the stage!”
Fox stood up. He wiped one last tear with his finger. “Allegra, honest. It’s just that…ok, I’m an insensitive male brute.”
The light blue tabby turned her eyes only at him. “Hmph. Better. But no catnip.”
“But in my defense, I never dealt with a cat before. I mean, other than…just avoiding them. I am a little socially rusty on that side.” Fox lowered his ears and tail apologetically. “Still friends?”
Allegra turned. “Never?”
He shook his head.
“What do you mean with ‘never’? I mean, Bino’s housemate is a cat.”
“Heh, and he’s the first reason I tried to avoid them.”
“But didn’t you owe your life to Grape?”
“She’s never been really dog-friendly…before she decided she loved Peanut. But she was kind enough never to maim me.”
Allegra leaned forward, her arms crossed behind her back and her tail raised high and swishing. “So…I am your first cat-friend?”
Fox found himself blushing. “Uh. Yes?”
“Do I get to sniff your butt?”
The husky’s conscious mind wanted to stuck his tail way down between his legs. He discovered he was wagging it instead. “Hmm…” was all his mouth could say. Somehow he was understanding how King felt when he had offered to sniff.
Allegra sat down onto the couch, chuckling. “Relax, puppy! I’m just teasing. So, shall we start looking for those books to read? Or are you afraid you’ll get stage fright?”
Fox cleared his throat. He walked to a bookcase. “What’s your mind poison?”
“Something funny! Do you have Fantozzi?”
Fox stopped in the middle of picking a book. He blinked. “Uh. That book? Paolo Villaggio? 1971? Yes, I have it, but…how could it work for a reading soiree?”
Allegra’s tail swished again. Fox’s eyes followed it as if it was a furry snake. Blush. “It’s funny. And we can rehearse to adapt it, replace the human with a dog. Show everyone that this ‘equal right’ thing is being taken too seriously. Waddayathink?” She made a face. “I surely don’t want ending up behind a desk doing boooring paperwork.”
Fox sat down on the pavement in front of the cat. “You know? I can relate to that. I mean, I’d love to be treated more like a human, when it comes to law, and be free to study and open a business if I wanted to…But I’m already living a good life as it is. Here in the Gardens we are treated pretty well like members of the family. We are listened to, despite some notable exceptions.” Like Sasha’s Dad, and not only him…
“So do you like my idea?”
Fox nodded. “I do. And I like that you own such old books. Must have cost you a fortune.”
Allegra tilted her head left and right in amusement. “Hmm-m. No. I got it for free, actually.” Then she put a finger to her lips. “But don’t tell anyone. It’s a secret.”
“Cross my—“ he was already saying, when he heard it. His eyes flickered at the sounds coming from outside.
“Before you ask, yes, I can hear that too,” Allegra said, puzzled. It definitely sounded as if a crowd was murmuring. A large crowd.
Fox stood up and walked toward the window. “Fino must be passing by,” he said, opened it. Took a look. Blinked. “Allegra, is this a dream?”
The cat was insistently rubbing her eyes. “Already pinched myself.”
Ok, the crowd was there. And it had very good reasons to mutter in various degrees of surprise.
Walking along the sidewalk, the objects of that surprise were walking paw-in-paw as if the rest of the world didn’t exist –or making a good show of pretending so.
A black cat. And a big green lizard. Tall. A, Egyptian sistrum tag hanging from her necklace on her chest. Female, if those curves spoke out loud enough. Delicate emerald skin. Long spiked tail, and…horns. If he didn’t know better, the dog was pretty sure that Max was walking with a dragon.

<Remember, darling,> Spirit Dragon said, or rather, spoke through her mind. <Invent any possible excuse, but you won’t tell anything at all about The Game, about my true nature, about anything that could give away my real identity. I can already hear my neighbors muttering not so nice things about this.>
<Relax, my lady. You’re with the master of deceit here! I’ll sweet-talk these dolts into believing that you are a human in disguise if necessary—>
“Max!” Fox said, running from his house. And it was the cat’s turn to be amazed as he saw that the husky was accompanied by…Allegra.
Dang!, he considered, fuming. Fox the cat-lover? Had he waited just one lousy day before pulling this stunt, he’d have something to tell Bino and see him suffer!
<Maxwell…> Dragon admonished him.
<Sorry, baby. But you do know me.>
<Sigh.>
“Max!” Fox said, his eyes glued to the strange lizard. “Ah, ma’am?”
Dragon bowed her head and said… “早上好!老总的狗。我的名字是空中的天使。”
Max’s eyes shrunk. Fox scratched his head and just offered his paw. “Yeah, right. I am Fox”
“A Chinese dragon!” Allegra was hopping like a happy cricket, her face screaming ‘squeeee!’. “
Max’s thoughts were so loud that he feared for a moment they could be heard. <CHINESE?! Did you actually speak CHINESE of all languages? I don’t know nothing about CHINA!>
<I-I didn’t know what to pick! It’s been ages since I interacted with other mortals like this, and I was revered as a Chinese Goddess! Don’t yell at me!>
<Sorry, sweetie. I panicked. Won’t happen again. Now let’s just stick to the plan.> The black cat cleared his throat. “Foxie, Allegra, this is, ah…”
“Tiankong Tianshi Jingshen.” Dragon bowed. “You may call me Tian, if you like.”
“And she’s not a real dragon!” Max said with just a hinge of panic in his voice. Could cats sweat? He surely felt like. “I mean, she’s real and all, hehe, but in the sense that she’s Chinese and she’s a big lizard with horns. And she’s my girlfriend, yes.”
Fox looked at him as if the cat was going to be the object of the juiciest gossip ever. “Uh…How long did you know each other? I mean, Max, you’re known not to lose time with girls, but last I remembered you never dated outside cats.” Then he looked at Tian. “How long have you been living here? You surely wouldn’t pass unobserved. No offense meant.”
He mentally facepawlmed. Why must the world be so full of stupid DETAILS?!
---
River Ridge

When the Line 1 bus from Babylon Gardens left the stop, it also left two passengers behind.
A human. And a Welsh Corgi.
“I hate you,” Joel Zechariah Robinson-Foster said.
“Same here, luv,” King answered, looking around. It had happened here. Some shops had been replaced with the years, but it was here that had happened.
Rushey Green Street.
“I had tried to forget, you know?” Joel kept saying.
“We had tried to forget. Sue Hell for bringing everything back.”
“I’ll be content to sue you, if we don’t do this quick. I don’t want to stay here more than necessary.” Joel was literally stinking with nervousness, it made King’s sensitive nose twitch. “I still can’t believe I let myself dragged into this mess.”
The couple started walking toward the alley where for the last time they had been with Helias, Honcho and Ringo.
Before the Whiteman dogs killed two of them as their main course, leaving Helias…what? Leftovers? Snack?
King offered his paw to Joel. The human gladly took it. As incarnation of King’s former humanity, including the memories, he hadn’t experienced King’s change that would’ve brought the dog to stay such, rejecting forever the bitterness and the hatred.
But Joel still needed comfort. Part of him was still that child who wanted be friend with animals. And he felt more tranquil at King’s touch, envying his doggie self for…growing mature.
The alley was like they remembered it. Heck, even the human could recognize the smell. In the sunlight, it looked so…normal, not the bloody final destination of two of his former pets. And now that they were here, he realized King was right: He owed it to Helias’ memory to know what happened to her, if possible. He was alive because of her. King existed because of her sacrifice…
And yet, his voice came out gruffy as usual as he said, “Do we have to wait long for that guy you called?”
“As long as you want, dear,” said a silky voice behind him. Joel turned so fast that he slammed against the wall. He saw that the owner of that voice was…a cat. A weird-looking cat, he definitely showed the fur pattern of a…raccoon?
The cat bowed. “Charmed, my friends. I am Styge.”
King went and shook paws. “Glad to see you. Onur and Takara told me that when it comes to cat business, you’re the expert here.”
“Hmph,” Joel said, but shook anyway. “So, what do you know?”
Styge grinned. “Straight to the point, I see. Well, it’s a funny thing you guys are asking about. Care to discuss it behind a cheeseburger? Or two? I love mine with extra cheese and pickles.”
---
Milton Manor garden

“Well, pal, you were not kidding,” Elpis said, as the group approached. His prosthetic eyes couldn’t see them, but his nose surely did smell the different members –first Keene Milton, the ferret, since it was also the most common smell lingering in what was now Volant’s house. Then, of course, Volant. And then Martin Foster, another frequent visitor who had left his aromatic print.
Elpis smelled a nervous rabbit, a wolf, two dogs with Martin’s smell all over them. By the sound their footsteps would make, they must be built like the wolf. And then, Gottschalk with his two dogs. He could recognize them even without his nose –talk about having an imposing presence… Though the small dog’s attention was being drawn more toward the nervous rabbit.
Toward the aura of the rabbit, something that stroke at Elpis’ inner chords in a…positive way. He found himself wagging at Zachary and offering his paw at him. “Charmed, pal! Elpis Karahalios. You must be the ‘Opener of Ways’ they talk about, right?”
Zachary shook hesitantly. “Uhh, thanks? I mean, I didn’t know that my fame had extended to Terrace High. You’re the pet living there, like Volant said, right? Of course you must be, how many green dogs can be around?”
Elpis chuckled. “Yes I am, and as for your fame, a common friend of ours spoke about you: A Nevermore raven. He entertained many one little ones with his stories about you. He collected a lot of tales from the woods.”
“Right,” Zach said. “And did he also tell you that those guys locked me in…there, soon as they invested me with the tile?” He pointed at the ancient temple that the late Henry Milton had brought from its original position.
Martin looked at it.
The fulcrum where many events started their run to converge here once again. Babylon Gardens had been named after the location where the temple had been found. From here, a cosmic entity had started a game whose goal was equality for humans and animals…
“They meant well,” Martin said, caressing the stony surface. “It was not their fault for not knowing the rules.”
“And I guess you do,” said a growling voice. One that made everyone’s hackles stand –except for the humans, for physiological reasons. And also because Martin had faced way worse things than a hostile wood feral. As for Gottschalk, he regarded the new arrivals without the hint of an emotion on his face. “Welcome,” he said, instead.
Martin turned. And there she was, as Miles had predicted.
A white she-wolf, built like a tank, and her pack, standing in the first line of the thick crowd composed by the ferals of Fenton Woods. “I asked you a question, human,” Boadicea said. “Care to share your oh so great wisdom with us savages? Perhaps before we decide to rip you to shreds, perhaps?”
Last edited by valerio on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

You work quick, valerio. :shock:
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, I HAD taken a long pause ;) Time to catch up with myself :lol:
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

that break was well taken i see, with the quick updates. Great work as always, and i know that in the next chapter or two there will be a scene describing where Volant protects the humans from the feral wolf pack. That's something I really want to read, I always love parts that include Volant, my character Flash, or King.

The first time i read those 2 chapters i thought i noticed a few small errors but then when combing back through i couldn't find them again. Maybe someone else found them first, but what ever.
Yes, I am a furry.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Errors fixed, courtesy of CERBERUSX who goes through the pain of spellchecking my work. :D
Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

Hooray for updates! It's kinda fun to still see new relationships forming in this comic. Better yet they're still interspecies relationships. :lol:

You know I was not entirely sure I was on board the Maxwell/Dragon ship but I'm warming up to it. As for Fox and Allegra, I do find the couple cute. It's nice to see Fox finally getting a little break from being the matchmaker and hooking up with someone himself.
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
valerio

Post by valerio »

Fox way deserved an improvement in his life. And I am SO going to have fun with Dramax! :lol: :lol: :lol:
valerio

Post by valerio »

Outside Lindberg House, Babylon Gardens

Maxwell was going to throw up.
His cool idea of a cool introduction of his cool new girlfriend had just royally backfired! He had counted too much on the other pets to gawk rather than asking him stupid details –such as, how long had he been knowing a lizard, why had he started dating outside his species, and above all where did this dragonlike creature come from. One must admit that Tiankong Tianshi Jingshen wasn’t exactly a common sight or name in Babylon Gardens. Yup, definitely!
And so, when Fox had started asking those questions, just like any person of good sense would do, what could the black cat do? Surely not say ‘You see, Foxy-pup, she’s really a dragon, the real thing, the myth made flesh and all. She is the participant in a sort of cosmic Game where the peace between Mankind and Furkind is at stake. And she finds me interesting because she has this thing for mortals. Am I making sense? Because I can’t make it too.’
How long had it been since Fox had asked him? A second or a minute or an hour. Having all those eyes on him wasn’t helping at all! Well, ok, there went nothing. He’d just say—
“Tian!” a familiar voice said. “There you are.”
The crowd of curious pets parted like the waters before Moses. A Pomeranian kind of Moses, in this case.
Dragon felt relief washing over her. “Tarot! I’m so sorry, but Maxwell wanted to introduce me to his friends. He has a lot of them it seems.” She grinned apologetically.
“Do you know her too?” Fox asked Tarot.
She nodded. “She’s a foreign student, part of a cultural exchange. She’s been living at River Ridge so far, and, well, Sabrina and I were her pen pals since before she moved. At a certain point, Sabrina had started writing about Max, but Tian had, well, made herself a different idea of him.”
“Because someone understands who's the best,” Max said flashing his grin. “And you know, Foxy-pup, I live for a good challenge. And no sweeter than this.” He leaned against the dragon and her thick tail wrapped around his body.
Fox shook his head. He seemed satisfied of the explanation. “So…are you just visiting or are you moving here, Tian?”
“Oh, my revered family will be moving here soon, they are looking out for a proper accommodation. So I decided I would pay a visit to Maxwell.” She smiled at the cat. “He is everything I had expected since the day we started communicating.”
“Uh-h.” Fox couldn’t even imagine a weirdest couple, since so far Joey had detained a record in this field. “Well, so you guys will be attending the reading soiree? Allegra and I will be playing a humor flick.”
“You know we won’t miss it,” Max answered.
Tarot started tugging Tian. “Now we have to go, dear. Shame on you for going to Maxwell first, you have to tell me how did your first date go.”
“I will gladly do so,” Dragon said as she was easily dragged from the crowd by the quite smaller Pomeranian. “You don’t need to be so rude, my friend.”
Tarot waited until she was fairly sure no one was listening, before saying through gritted teeth, “I can’t believe it! What do you think you’re doing?”
Dragon frowned. “That’s not the proper way to address a being of the higher order, you know.”
“A teenager of the higher order!” Tarot retorted. “You’re not supposed to fall for mortals, didn’t your previous experience teach you something?”
“This time it’s different!” Dragon assumed a snotty expression. “Not only do I know Maxwell. I also know he can bind his destiny with mine.”
“Said the cosmic being who manipulated me to get to Peanut. Knowing he was destined to someone else. I can’t believe it I let you involve me!”
Dragon made a forked-tongue raspberry. “You wanted my help to make him fall for you. So there! I don’t need you to approach Maxwell. It was his idea to have me manifest physically.”
Now their eyes were flashing. Literally. And clouds were accumulating rapidly in the sky, obscuring the sun. Max gulped. “Ah, girls, aside from the fact that I’m still here, couldn’t we just talk about it somewhere more private? And possibly without disturbing the weather? It would ruin the party for tonight—“ before he could complete the sentence, he found himself inside a living room. He had just the time to notice that plastic drapes were covering every piece of furniture of that inhabited place, then he bent in two and gave his breakfast back to the world.
---
While the crowd dispersed, Fox went back to his house. “Listen, why won’t we just rehearse at your place?” He asked Allegra. “We got a few hours, then we may go to the park, they have that kiosk that's always open—“
“Ah-Ah,” she wagged her finger no in front of his snout. “My turf is verboten. No visitors allowed. It’s my holy sanctuary, my last shelter, my island in the ocean, my—“
“I Got it, I got it, sheesh!” Fox chuckled, raising his paws defensively. “For being a cat, you have a ton in common with Bino on that matter. Should I start to worry?”
They closed the door behind themselves. The azure tabby exhaled. “Sorry, it’s just that…after dealing all the time with customers at Heathcliff’s, I just want to spend my time in peace.”
“You must like a lot to work there. I don’t remember being there a management that forces you to spend your time there.”
Allegra stuck out her tongue playfully. “I never say no to free food. And then, I like working with the clients. I can socialize without…complications.”
Fox rolled his eyes. “Figures!”
“What?”
The couple entered the kitchen. Fox went to the fridge, opened it and took out a jug of milk. “No, not you. It’s me. I fear I am drawn to anyone being like King.”
Allegra chuckled, cowering her mouth, her whiskers twitching. “Like, desperate social cases?”
Fox filled a couple of glasses. “No. More like, good guys who need some help getting out of their shell. At least, you are more like King minus the grumpy factor.”
The cat drank from her glass. “Watch it, playpup: Your bestest friend may become jealous.”
Fox shook his head. “Nah. The moment I’ll tell him he’ll be rooting for us. Bailey will laugh her kidneys off and Bino will hate Peanut because of his influence.”
“Soo…Are you sure you’re not a cat-lover?” She asked with her most seductive Nala™ look.
*fup* went his tail under his legs, his ears flattening like Zachary’s during a panic attack. “NO!” He barked out loud. “I mean—“
Allegra laughed, at risk of spilling milk from her glass. “Your face, oh holy whiskers, your face! Hehe, relax, pup.”
Fox growled. “You’ll be the death of me, girl!”
---
Bacon Beacon, River Ridge

“Alas, my poor pickle. I’ll eat you well.” So said a raccoon-like cat, contemplating the piece of food held high in his fingers, before letting it drop into his mouth. He chewed it slowly, with a seraphic expression on his face. “Hmm. And they taste even better, being ‘Yorick’s’ brand.” Then the cat proceeded to take the hamburger and eating it with big bites, spraying crumbs as he spoke. “So, what was I saying? Oh, right, Helias Robinson/Foster. White cat. Escaped from home, survived an encounter with the alley demons. Years ago.”
“Yeah…right.” King and Joel, sitting at the opposite side of the table, made a disgusted face. The Corgi wiped his arm from the crumbs. “Ew. So, you said you knew something. Care to share?” Any information would do, at this point. His former human self already looked as if he wanted to chew some dog ears for being dragged here.
Down went the last mouthful. “Nothing about a Helias gal. But there were rumors about a girl who fought her way up the ladder of solitude. Tough one, a piece of her tail was missing. At this point, one could think it was the souvenir those monsters took off her.
“But anyway: This girl never trusted anyone or anything. She was good, she knew humans well enough to know how to strike a perfect theft. And she wasn’t scared by no dogs: I guess that facing death improves your guts. Fact is, once she’s rumored to have faced a pack. She got a nice scar across her eye and a chewed ear, but the four puppies left two bodies down the sidewalk and the others…well, they found it healthier to change territory. Forever.”
The corgi and the human exchanged a look. Their memories went, in particular, to one night…
…“Why don’t you defend yourself?” Joel had asked. He was a child, he knew his best friend could fight for herself and protect him too. Instead, Helias would take the beating, just trying to cower to minimize the pain, showing submission in the hope that Mr. Robinson would get bored with venting his drunken rage.
Instead it was always him, Joel, who ended up sharing the pain in his attempt to defend her. And they often ended up tending each other’s wounds. Like tonight.
Joel flinched when the alcohol swap cleaned his back. Helias sported a band-aid over her left ear. As usual, the dogs had avoided being home at all. “Because then I’d be thrown out, or worse. And you’d be alone. With him.”
They could talk freely, by now. After his display of manly courage, Mr. Robinson had collapsed onto the bed, out could until late in the next morning, ready for another round.
“Why don’t we go away, then?” Joel said, putting on his pajamas. “I’m so tired of all of this.” His voice sounded so…old. He was growing too fast for his age. “It can’t be worse than here, right?”
“Joel…”
He looked at her with pleading eyes, a tiny creature who only wanted some peace now that his big brother was there no more. “I will do anything you ask. It will be like…an adventure. Like Tom Sawyer. Like…anything but here. Please…” And then he had hugged her tight, trembling, somehow managing to hold back the wail, in fear of waking the bad man…
“Guys? You okay?” Styge said, snapping his fingers.
Both King and Jowl started. Their eyes were stained with tears.
“Weird,” the Bandit Cat said. “I never saw such a synch. It’s true what they say about humans and their pets.”
“Yeah, right,” both his guests said together, wiping their eyes with the same gesture. Joel said, “Anything else about this wonder stray you were ranting about?” He just couldn’t imagine Helias becoming such a tiger—
“Not really. Except that for years and years she was the only white-furred lady ruling the block, so it must be your lost kitty. Oh, and then came this other snowy kitty, and somehow he convinced her to stop being a danger to everyone and just settle down. Last time they were heard of, they were living near an auto repair shop and she had had a litter of three. Three little ghosts, just like their mama—“
“Say you what?!” King and Joel blurted out together, literally mirroring each other, almost jumping across the table.
Styge made a face. “Creepy. Anyway, that was her name: Ghost. What’s wrong with you? Would you rather prefer ‘Snow White’ or something?”
This time, the looooong stare was accompanied by two agape jaws, and a single flashing thought.
Talk about karma!
---
Milton Manor’s garden

When a she-wolf threatened to kill you without the least remorse, if you were wise you’d start to worry.
When said wolf was backed up by a pack, if you were wise you’d start to pray.
Apparently, Zachary Albert was seriously lacking any form of wisdom, that particular day. The feral pack leader had just spoken her promise of death, when he walked with a self-assured stride to her, his expression not faltering.
Boadicea grinned, almost tasting already the rabbit’s meat. Hackles rose in the hosts’ group as Volant Milton, Antares and Aldebaran Foster, Gauss and Curie Gottschalk tensed up to jump in and defend Zachary…
The grey-furred rabbit was a small pet. The she-wolf towered over him, literally. And, to be honest, Boadicea was curious as of why that delicious morsel was walking toward his death, glaring at her.
And Martin Foster, Raimund Gottschalk and Keene Milton were just as much curious as they exchanged a puzzled look. In just a moment, the shy and wary rabbit had turned into…something else. The trio seriously wondered if Pete hadn’t decided to possess him after all.
“I can’t look!” Elpis whispered, covering his eyes, standing behind Martin. “Is he munchies yet?”
“Aren’t you blind?” Keene whispered back.
“I’m scared, gimme a break!”
Zachary stopped in front of the she-wolf. No one but him could see another figure standing in front of him…or, rather, crouching before him. A creature born of the evil of Man, a monster who had almost killed him and even after his death had tormented the rabbit’s mind onto the edge of madness.
Guess what, bad dog? You don’t scare me anymore! And on this thought, he walked through the snarling shadow, which dissolved like a cloud of ashes…and then Zachary poked at her tummy –like touching a stone slab. “Boadicea, is that right? Well, now you listen well because I ain’t gonna repeat myself, lady. We didn’t call for this meeting to start a bloody feud. This may be you guys’ only chance to start that life of equality many of you prayed for, generation after generation. You want your golden age? Sorry, it won’t be at the expense of humans, but along with them! Those guys there” his other thumb pointed at the three business partners of the GMF Unlimited “will give you the details of their plan. I believe it will work.”
Boadicea bent down and roared so hard as to ruffle the rabbit fur. “Do you think I care?! Humans have built their ‘civilization’ on our blood, on our pain, on our sufferance! They didn’t bring anything to us,” she mocked Zachary’s words as she said, “generation after generation. Instead they stole territory, food, everything, and now it’s a bit too late to play sorry—“ at that point, the second unthinkable thing happened.
Zachary slapped Boadicea. Hard. Had he tried that stunt with her knowing, he would have lost his paw before even touching her snout. Instead, being that the last thing the she-wolf could expect, her head almost made an Exorcist-like spin!
Zachary’s eyes were almost tearing wirh rage, his whiskers twitching madly with fury. “Give. Me. A. Break! Sure, humans may be very cruel many one times, and they have oh so proven it. But as a species…” this time his eyes went to other ferals who were divided between awed and curious “…they are just big apes. Call them ‘usurpers’, call them ‘parasites’, call them anything, but there is one thing you cannot deny: They are animals who do what all animals do. Only. Better.
“Do you think I am not learned about the wars, the fights, the blood shed through history between the furkindred? About the old tribes that waged terrible wars for territory and food? About the prejudices?
“Here in Babylon Gardens, where pets have a chance to live pampered and in complete peace, many still cling to the interspecies love taboo. They will start petty fights over cat vs. dog stereotypes. So stop whining as if you owned some superior moral code, because given the chance you would act the same as humans!
Boadicea looked at the rabbit’s eyes, finding in them a renewed strength she hadn’t literally imagined. It was as if a true wolf was speaking through him –no, not just a wolf. A bear, a coon, a noble stag…

“Holy light,” Elpis walked up to Volant and tapped at his leg to draw the Rhodesian Ridgeback’s attention. “I can see it. Can you…see it too? Don’t worry to hurt my feelings.”
Volant nodded dumbly. “You are not going crazy.” In front of his eyes, Zachary’s body was shining with a golden aura, a golden fire, a shape-changing presence that encompassed all sentient species of this world.
<Is that your doing, Master?> Volant asked through his mind.
<Yes and no,> Pete’s voice answered. <*snrkt*> came a moment later.
Volant frowned. <Master?>
<Sorry…Hehe. My…friend is just doing…> The gryphon’s mirth was something Volant had never perceived. It was…alien. Then Pete cleared his throat. < Anyway, about your question: I gave that mortal the Seal of the Past Lives, which allows him to tap into the essence of those passed to give them voice. But tapping is something only he can decide to do, it depends on his very inner strength.> Then his voice assumed that condescending tone Volant was familiar with. <And of course, I was right on the spot when I said that reluctant ones make the best prophets. Now just watch and enjoy.>
Volant did, and like the others in his group…he blinked.
A third miracle was happening.

Boadicea stepped back. A part of her still wanted to rip that arrogant creature into tiny shreds –but the rabbit was right, that was just her instinct speaking.
And she knew that if she obeyed it, then she would be no better than the worst human.
But as she threw a glance over her shoulder, she saw something else.
Her pack had fallen on one knee, tails low in deference.
And even the other ferals had done the same –well, those who could walk on two legs. The others were just offering their throats. Even the birds were bowing from the branches. And...more were joining, as if an invisible presence was spreading the word for everyone to answer. By now, the crowd from Fenton Woods had grown to a mass.
It was impossible! These…idiots were actually paying homage to a puny pet!
“You are the Opener of Ways,” Falstaff the raccoon said, now standing in front of that mass. “You were raised among the humans to understand their ways and be the bridge between our worlds.”
“You accessed their knowledge,” Nevermore said from his branch, “to see the truth and remind us of our own limitations. We accept your word.”
Zachary nodded. He looked straight at Boadicea, mutely asking that fatal question.
And, finally, the she-wolf nodded in turn. “Fine. I will listen too. And even should not I like what I saw, no blood shall be shed today.”
The rabbit seemed satisfied. To the others, he said, “Now these humans and the ferret will tell you what will be their part in the building of the new golden age. You will be free to dislike that plan and leave, but remember: I have opened the way, so either you walk it, or only you shall bear the responsibility for abandoning it!” He turned and walked toward Martin, Raimund and Keene. “Are you ready?”
Gottschalk nodded. “We are.” He smiled, one of his rare warm smile. “We’ll not fail you.”
“Good! Because now I’m gonna faint!” And he did just that!
Antares and Aldebaran put away their smartphones. “This is so going to go viral on the socials,” Antares said with a grin. “Right you are,” Aldebaran said.
Last edited by valerio on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

:shock:
When I read that part about "ghost," I half expected M. Night Shyamalan to come in and say "what a twist!"
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
andyyee

Post by andyyee »

valerio wrote:Antares and Aldebaran put away their smartphones. “This is so going to go viral on the socials,” Antares said with a grin. “Right you are,” Aldebaran said.
The twins have smartphones :o (surprised they aren't in their collars). I love how their first (shared) reaction is to post to Facebook, etc. Hilarious ending to the normal dramatic moment.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Lindberg House, Babylon Gardens

“Fox?” The door to the husky’s room opened, and Bailey peeked in. “Sorry for disturbing. I was looking for Kingy, he hasn’t returned from his trip to the city and—“ Then her expression changed to one of high shock and her hackles rose.
After all, it was the first time she saw her cousin posing as if to peck a female cat’s cheek.
“Signorina Silvani!” Fox blurted out, blushing madly. Then he violently shook his head. “I mean Bailey! Pina and I—I mean Allegra and I were-were—“
The azure tabby walked toward the husky mux, her paw stretched out. “He’s trying to say that we’re rehearsing. Humor book, reading soiree. Charmed, I am Allegra. You are the Bailey who conquered King, eh?”
Bailey shook the cat’s paw. “That’s me. And I can believe it’s a humor flick, if Fox’s face is clue enough.”
“Will you two stop that?!” The poor guy’s head had by now assumed a complete tomato complexion.
Bailey picked up the book. She read briefly into it. “Human employees? Weird choice.”
Allegra shrugged. “Fantozzi is the main character. He’s madly in love with a colleague of hers, without the least chance to be returned. But he’ll try anyway. Pina is his wife. This was a scene in which—“ She caught in time the book Bailey had just tossed her, interrupting her.
“Fox, I had asked you a question.”
The husky male seemed to remember it. He blinked a couple of times. “Wasn’t he supposed to be with you at the farm?”
Bailey rolled her eyes. “You know, sometimes I wonder if you your mama gave birth to you like cows do and you fell on your head. Yes, he was supposed to be there for the chores. Then he and that creepy Joel human took a leave and went to the town. And he won’t answer his phone! What if he’s been dognapped? Should I go and force Fido to do something?”
Fox helped her sit down, an arm comfortably encompassing her shoulders. “Hey, hey, cuz. Believe me, King is in no danger at all. I’m sure he’ll have a good explanation for this leave. If he went with Joel, perhaps it was for…quality time? They were pet and owner after all.” Yeah, boy, keep repeating that. For a moment, he was really mad at King for acting like that. Not only it upset Bailey, and Dog knew she didn’t deserve it. But he had also to keep up that lie, and he hated lies, even if the truth would have far worse effects on King’s marriage.
Not to mention that the argument of dognapping brought out bad, really bad memories—
“You are angry now,” Bailey said.
“Uh?”
A paw patted his back, almost leaving Fox without breath. “Sorry for involving you, really. I just thought that King had called you. Sometimes I think I must compete with you for his love.”
“I get that a lot from Dad already. So, will you be at the Reading Soiree tonight? Or did you schedule more chores?”
“You make it sound as if it was a bad thing.” Bailey stuck out her tongue at her cousin.
Fox grinned. “You are a workaholic, cuz. You detest night time because the others go to sleep. Sometimes, I fear you could fall in love with that Itsuki guy.”
Bailey sighed happily. “I know. He’ such a dedicated worker. We totally should invite him…Oh, and by the way, I will be attending. As security!” She fiddled with her collar and produced a yellow refractive armband with the word SECURITY printed in white. “Aren’t you happy for me?”
Fox nodded. “Cuz, I am so proud of you!” He hugged her. “Just remember that King will appreciate a mate more than a dedicated worker. Even if he acts weird sometimes. Oh, and you should not overbear yourself: Not now that you’re expecting, ok?” He patted her tummy, and all of the previous bad feelings just dissolved. Little lies didn’t count, not when King’s life was about to reach its fulfillment…
Bailey’s smile was tainted by a shadow of reluctance. “I know you guy are right…but I am just not made to lay down and do nothing. Ohh, I’m so sure I’ll become such a bore for Kingy! Look at me, already I am acting as if I was hormone-crazy! Am I hormone-crazy already?” She added with a spark of madness in her expression.
Fox turned. “I’m not really an expert on this. What do you say, Alle—“
Allegra was gone.
---
Jingshen House

Max looked around, examining the mix of furniture and decorations that belonged, in a harmonious whole, to both the Western World and Ancient China. Everything smelled new, everything was in its place (Max had to trust his girlfriend’s word on that). Candles threw out a soft light everywhere, perfect for feline eyes. The quiet was…pleasant. Max had read of monasteries that were like this. Silent. Nap heaven.
“So…This is now your place? Legal and all?” Max asked, turning toward Spirit Dragon.
She was still appearing as her anthropomorphic self, with nothing on more than the shortest shorts and shirt. Dragon/Tian nodded, obviously pleased with herself. “It is. Every document is already present in the humans’ archives. Accounts have been opened, money has been deposited – mortals can be so complicated sometimes! – and the house is completely furnished. There is plenty of your favorite toys and snacks, Maxwell. Including the cutest snuggling nest in my room!” She pressed her arms against her chest, almost hopping with expectation.
Before Max could answer, Tarot, who was being half-swallowed by a bean bag, lifted her arm. “Didn’t you forget something, my friend?”
Dragon glared at the Pomeranian. “I didn’t forget anything! This place is perfect, and it’s isolated enough so that we can spend our time together without drawing unnecessary attention. But I guess you would know better, right? You are only being jealous because I have a new boyfriend!”
Tarot drummed her fingers against her seat. “Speaking of which, exactly when are we supposed to meet the parents?”
*blink-blink* “Uh?”
“The humans,” Tarot said with a bored tone. “Mom and Dad. With a notable few exceptions, pets are not supposed to travel alone at their leisure.”
Dragon proudly crossed her arms. “Well, then I am that exception! My owners are important people, and they want me to learn their profession so that I can run their business because they can’t have a child of their own and they think I am a potent symbol of good luck for the family! So there!”
Tarot held her head in her paws. “I can’t believe I’m actually trying to argue with you, again…” She tried to leave the bag, but only managed to start a wrestling session with the thing, grunting, growling and finally saying things that a lady dog really shouldn’t know. Eventually, Tarot was spat out of the beanbag. She rolled a couple of times before standing up. “Let me guess,” she said, trying to smooth down her ruffled fur. “Max likes this thing.”
“Oh, yes!” The cat’s tail swished. “This model is like the son of the lava monster and the blob from The Prisoner. When we’re alone, Draggie will give it life!”
Then followed a long moment of silence, after which, Tarot said, “Well, have fun you two, then. As long as it lasts.”
Max blinked. “Say what?”
The dog looked at Dragon with a smirk of superiority. “You didn’t tell him, eh? Not that I am surprised.”
Dragon went from proud to crestfallen in a moment. “Maxwell…my love, when I will become a mortal, I will lose all the privileges to my cosmic powers. I will be nothing more than an exotic animal…but I swear, what I feel for you remains true!”
Max sat down into the bag. “So…no more awesomeness?”
She shook her head. “Not of that kind, no. I’m sorry for keeping this fact from you—“
“Because you feared I’d turn you down?”
Dragon nodded, on the verge of tears.
Tarot didn’t feel at all proud for what she had just done, but she knew her cosmic friend: Dragon was impulsive, she’d invest a lot of energies into the one she believed she loved, and the truth could only hurt her more and more should too much time pass. Breaking this absurd relationship now could only be of help—
“So what?” Max said, earning two saucer-sized stares. He left the beanbag after a short struggle, then walked to Dragon. He took her hands in his paws. “Baby. To this world we spent a little time together, but as far as our adventure went, we did enough to last me a lifetime worth of memories. Plus, even without your powers, you’re the only one who really knows me and accepts me in full. So…I am lucky to have you. And I’ll be lucky to keep sharing my life with you. If you promise to keep standing my shenanigans.” He flashed her his grin. And earned a big, tender hug.
This time, the tears were of joy. “I know you are speaking the truth. And I knew I had chosen you well. Thank you, Maxwell. Don’t ever change.”
Max purred. “Lady, don’t you insult me.”
Tarot sighed, then quietly walked away. This was so not like her, it wasn’t in her right to come and vent her frustration at—
“Do you feel alone?” Max said the moment she put her paw on the handle.
Tarot stopped, staring at the shiny metal, seeing in it scenes from another life, one she wouldn’t live. “I…miss Peanut. A lot. And unlike Dragon, I am still struggling with the loss.” She turned and smiled. “But, really, I am great friend with little Tarot, and she likes to spend time at my place. Peanut and I are still great friends, so…” She sighed, lowering her gaze. “It’ll go better, once I settled.” Then she felt Dragon’s hands over her shoulders.
“You don’t have to do this alone, my friend. I owe you so much, and of all mortals you do not deserve to be alone.”
The Pomeranian’s paw petted one of those hands. “Thank you, I really appreciate your words, and I know they are sincere. But—“
“No buts!” The reptilian tail wagged. Back was the happy smile. “I can pick the right one for you! You know I can’t be wrong!” And before Tarot could reply to that, Tian (author’s note – so, yes, from now on I’m gonna call her Tian because switching between names will give me a headache and I am lazy too!) snapped her fingers, and a big portfolio book appeared floating between them. Humming a tone, Tian started browsing. “Hmm, apparently, my friend, you do have a lot of potential candidates. And there are cats too!”
Tarot desperately wanted to dig a tomb and hide herself into it. “We had an agreement about privacy, remember?”
Tian waggled her finger at her. “Tut-tut, that was when you were my avatar. Now you are a good friend in need.”
“Uhh, I am an avatar too, right?” Max said.
She didn’t even turn as she browsed the book. “Only for a limited period of time. This game will soon be over, my love. Now wait while I pick up…Ah! This one should do!” A gesture over a picture brought to life a picture as if it were a real life hologram.
Max’s hackles rose reflexively. “Are you kidding?! That’s not a dog, that’s—that’s a killer!”
Tarot didn’t look really convinced as well. “If I hadn’t spent so much time with you, my friend, I’d think you were pulling a practical joke on me. This male’s the opposite kind of personality I feel attracted to. I mean, I fell for Peanut.”
The chosen one was none other than Volant, Pete’s Dark Paladin, posing with a defiant grin and his fist pressed against his flank.
Tian bent down to touch the projection’s shoulders, her long neck reaching out over them. “Tarot, of all dogs you should know better than trust a first impression. We did that mistake with Peanut, underestimating his deep love for Grape.”
The Pomeranian sighed. “And your point being..?”
“Ask her.” A clawed finger pointed at something at Tarot’s right side.
“Great,” Max said, rolling his eyes. “Great. Ghosts. Again. Creepy.”
This particular spirit belonged to one of the most adorable puppies ever, a female mixed breed, with fluffy white fur and a curly tail and a perfect round golden spot on her back. In a way, she looked like a miniature Tarot.
“Maxwell,” Tian chided him, “where are your manners? That is Tomi, she hangs out at Tarot’s place. She died of an infection after her vocal chords were cut at the old shelter.”
Tomi gave the cat a silent Japanese raspberry. Max blushed. “Sorry,” he muttered, ears low, shuffling his feet.
Tarot turned to the puppy ghost. “So…do you really think that Volant would make a good…boyfriend?”
Tomi crossed her paws behind her back and nodded eagerly with a big smile.
“Others have seen beyond the shell,” Tian added. “Elpis Karahalios may be blind, but his heart and soul know better. Trust my judgment, my friend.”
“Pete will call interference. Volant is his avatar. And as far as prediction goes…are you using your precognition to know the result of such an improbable matching?”
“No. My suggestion comes from my knowledge of him as a person. What may come depends on you two. Failure is an option.
“You don’t have to go straight into his arms. And we know you won’t do that. Just take your time to…reflect on my suggestion. And use at best your free will. You may be surprised.” Tian winked. A final gesture made the projection disappear.
---
Milton Manor’s garden

“Do you really need to tape this?” Boadicea asked, looking warily at the cameras.
Keene Milton, the ferret, nodded. “This is not some private club meeting, What we say and decide here will reflect on the decisions of the other ferals we’ll get in touch with. So put up a nice smile, lady, or get out of the picture.”
The she-wolf growled, but then she knew she was outnumbered and badly, even if her whole pack was with her…and they too had just paid homage to that silly ‘Opener of Ways’ rabbit…
Martin Foster drew a breath, before addressing the mass of animals. He didn’t even feel nervous or excited. All he had fought for was coming to reality, the path was set. The words he’d speak were not empty political promises, but the foundation of a new age to come.
Accomplished. That was the right word. He had done what he could, and he had made it right so far.
“The Tanukis in Japan. Buwara. The Republic of San Antonio in Italy. The Zoroastrian Caliphate at the borders of the Arab Emirates. The Kingdom of Sarama in India. And soon, for those who may have not heard about it yet, Oasia in Mexico.
“These are examples where animals are regarded and treated not as pets or kept at bay from society. There, those animals have equal rights in front of the local laws. In many one aspect, they are as important as humans. As it was once, as it should be, as it will be here too.
“The first step toward equality here, in the area including Babylon Gardens, Terrace High and the city of River Ridge, will be to adopt you all.”
Truck the raccoon lifted his arm. “Uhh, wasn’t the point to give up petship?”
Martin nodded. “Formally, you will be, since full citizenship should pass through a constitutional amendment, and that would take years.
“But since pets will have many more and improved rights than our system currently includes, the effects will be pretty much the same. In fact, as part of the community will be able to: roam free in the city and every other human settlement without animal control interfering. Animal control will be integrated in a new police force. Those of you who may want to join security will be able to do so, previous of course a period of training and evaluation. You will have access to any other job you are fit to, or you may just decide to study and learn. You will have access to food and health care. And those of you who will accept to live with humans in their houses will be free to apply—“
“And what about the costs?” For once, Boadicea was happy she had learnt something out of those boring lessons Miles had been giving to his family. She was too happy to throw back those utopian promises into the face of this-this…thing! “Your peers shall never concede all of those things without a fight! Food and medicines! I can already see the rallies with the signs ‘Humans First!’”
Martin nodded. “The basic idea is to transform the whole community into an open shelter. Instead of spending money and resources to take care of a complex, although functioning, structure, the communities will grant a cage-less treatment to all furkindred on a case-to-case base. It makes more sense for you to come to a clinic and get your shot and checkup rather than having to come to your place with more costly and time-consuming means.
“And then, why make it so that you live off our garbage, with the sanitary and cleaning costs, when the animal food market can provide you what you need at a cheaper cost?”
Then it was Gottschalk who took the seat. “Madame, if you’ll allow me: I represent that world you mentioned. The world of business, the world of money, the world of egotistical convenience. You won’t have a better witness than me on this matter.
“So trust me when I say that I can make sure our plans won’t be so easily dismissed: My plans to use the Prometheus fusion reactor will allow the communities to save so much money, that even redirecting a fraction of it into the assistance program to the furkindred will leave enough for my…peers.”
“What plans?”
Gottschalk nodded. “We will rebuild the Gardens and expand Terrace High, so to improve the space available without interfering with the ecosystem. Every automotive will be running on electricity and not on gas. Domestic heating and cooking will run on electricity, not on gas or wood. And only to reconvert these commodities, we will give birth to a new kind of economy, one that so far has only been fabled about. I will give riches to humans, they will learn again to coexist with you.”
“Give it enough time,” Keene intervened, his eyes lit up with that passion that had driven him all the times his Dad had spoken him of the ancient times when humans and furkindred were one… “and it will be like in the old times, but with a difference. We shall not work for the past to overthrow the future, but for both to walk together. Enough with the bitterness!”
“And how much time are we talking about?” Boadicea asked.
“We all will be long dead before it happens,” Martin said, calmly. “But that’s not the matter here: What matters is that we lay down the foundation for this change. And that the future is built on these foundation. That is why it’s of the outmost importance that you all, each and every one of you, cooperates.
“New times await us. Tomorrow is election day. From then on, we will be working together as…well, since a long, long time ago. So, for the last time, before we leave, is there anything you wish to say about this?”
Not surprisingly, it was Boadicea who said, “Gottschalk human, you spoke about a ‘fraction’ of the costs redirected to us, and…well, it sounds like a large amount of money. Just how much will this ‘Prometheus’ thing generate?”
The tall businessman answered without faltering. “Madame, the use of simple coal as energy resource gave life to the Industrial Revolution. Energy from fusion reactors will have an as much dramatic impact on the whole world. It’s not a promise. It’s a fact.”
Zachary the rabbit, who had come back from his blackout, gave a last look to his faithful. He still felt scared like heck, because he knew it wasn’t over. This was the beginning…but wherever this road would bring him to, this time he wouldn’t be running it scared! “So, what say you?”

“AYE!” Came a collective, enthusiastic roar that shook a good portion of the forest.
---
Later at Foster Manor, Babylon Gardens

“One suggestion, Dad,” Antares said as they walked into the living room. “Next time, be prudent when you mention ‘free food’. I still can feel all that drool on my feet. Ew.
Martin made a face too. He felt his socks sloshing into his shoes. “You tell me. But it went way better than expected. Now, who’s up for pizza? We must get ready for the soiree and—“ and a moment later, he was tackled down by a furry missile!
It was Alcor. The cat was hugging his human with all his might and purring desperately. “I love you so much Dad, Dad Dad, Dad…” he kept repeating.
After the initial surprise, Martin sat up and hugged him back, his throat being nuzzled by the cat. “Hey, I love you too a world boy, you know it. But you can welcome me home anytime like this…or is there some special occasion?”
“There is,” Joel said, walking into the living room. “Listen, big bro, do you want the short version or the long, dramatic recap?”
Martin blinked. “Uhh, whatever fits you I guess.”
“Alcor is the son of Helias, the firstborn of her litter. And yes, that was the face I made when I learned that, too.”
---
There were four parks in Babylon Gardens, where pets could be themselves, play, romp, organize their parties and anything that could come to their minds without human supervision. Those parks were, to put it simple, their fun turf.
There was a fifth, although you wouldn’t find it on the maps. In fact, it wasn’t a park: It was more of a meadow, just bordering with the forest. It wasn’t a place where a pet would walk alone, too many risks of close encounters of the clawed kind.
Once a year, though, it was the ferals of Fenton Woods who wisely kept away from that meadow –for it was here that many, many dogs found solace in their annual Secret Snowball Fight. One day of pure adrenaline and joy at their maximum, the only occasion to vent all of the festivities stress. And, adding to this that a large part of the K9Us were present as well, it was just wise to leave them alone.
Not one of them knew about a den. A burrow dug deep under the base of an old oak. No one passed by that particular spot during the year, and the rains and snow covered it’s inhabitant’s scent during the bad seasons.
It was here that a certain azure female tabby was sitting, reading a book by the light of a LED torchlight. Bless the humans and their ability to save on power; that, and cats’ natural ability to optimize the available light.
Allegra chuckled at the gags she was finding in the Fantozzi book. The toughest part would be not to laugh during the reading—
“Hello,” someone said behind her. “Am I interrupting something?”
She barely flicked her ears while she kept reading. “Oh, not at all Fox. I’m just—GAK!!” she jumped up so hard that she banged her head against the low floor. “Ouch!”
“Are you all right?!” Fox asked her, holding her in the fear she might fall.
Allegra rubbed her head. “No, I’m not. My head hurts, you scared me outta my fur and…and you are in my home, uninvited! How rude do you think you can be, Mr. Lindberg?!”
Fox blushed and let her go. He fiddled with his fingers. “I’m sorry. I…you had disappeared and I was worried about you.”
Allegra sighed. “That’s very sweet of you, I’ll concede that. But…” She gave him a puzzled look. “How did you find me?”
The husky chuckled. “I practiced with King. Every time he was upset, he’d find the most unbelievable places to hide. And every time, well, it was like hide and seek. He wanted to be found, deep down, and the harder he tried to hide, the more he believed I cared for him if I found him.”
“He told you that?”
“Yes.”
“And you thought I wanted to be found by you.”
“Yes. No. I mean…” Fox sat down on an old straw chair. It grated his butt a little. “I think you needed a friend. When someone leaves without even saying goodbye, to me it means that.” He looked around. “Soo…this your home?” He looked at her neck. Her naked neck. Her collar was standing on a nightstand near a cot.
Allegra sat down back on the foldable chair. One thing must be said about the furniture: It was as if it had been provided by ‘Four-Fingers Discount’ Jack’s store. “Yup. You discovered my big secret. I am a stray. Ownerless, feral, a fake. I work at Heathcliff’s because I get free food.” She made it sound as if she didn’t care, but again she couldn’t fool the dog.
“I don’t think you’re a fake,” he said, reaching out with his arm to touch her shoulder. “And I don’t think less of you for being a feral. In fact, I’m…worried for you.”
Allegra weakly pushed his paw away. “A dog caring for a cat? A friend of Bino caring for me?”
Fox shook his head. “I am friend to many dogs, Allegra. Bino is just one and not even the best one since King came into my life. So yes, I care for you. Why would a nice creature like you spend her life in this place? You could go to the Lucky Charm Grove and be treated like a queen – no pun intended – until you can find a good family.”
She shrugged. “What can I say? I like to live my own life without human rules. In other words, I don’t like being a pet. Sue me and leave me if you don’t like it.”
Fox bit his lower lip. He didn’t even have to reflect about his next question. “Why don’t you come to my place, then?”
Last edited by valerio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zephyrtobiaswolf

Post by zephyrtobiaswolf »

It's official valerio, every day you update is like second Christmas. Thank you for this great work.and please don't stop. Awesome job.
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. -Marie Curie

Michelangelo (Mikey) Truesdale - SP
Tara Truesdale - SP
Rios "Doc" Williams - TR
valerio

Post by valerio »

Count on it! There so much, much more to be narrated! :D
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

... Well, that escalated quickly.

It is really hard to hold my tongue on this one. :twisted:
valerio

Post by valerio »

Milton Wolves House, Babylon Gardens

“Voice mailbox…again,” Keene said, making a puzzled face at the mini smartphone. He turned it off and put it back in his collar. “Guess we’ll have to do without our partner, mein Herr.”
“You do like to say that, do you?” Gottschalk said from his couch. As usual, if he was offended he wasn’t showing it in the least.
Keene shrugged. “I love it. Especially since I won’t get erased from the markets for saying it. But back to business: You asked me about Prince Jata, right? Well, let it be known that his kingdom and Buwara will be announcing the long-awaited merging in the Pangean Confederation by tomorrow, independently from our elections’ results. Big apes at UN are going to get nervous,.”
Gottschalk nodded, this time showing the hint of a smile. “Excellent. Once this step is made, Prince Navheed Nair will announce his adhesion. The Order of St. Abbot, which is the de facto ruler of the namesake Italian micronation, has already assured me the full support to the project.”
Keene sipped from his cup of tea. He couldn’t help but feel his paws a bit shaky with excitement. It was really happening! Dad, I wish you were here with me to see…to share the joy… “So…Oasia is actually ready?”
“Enough of it to be inhabited by animals only. Both the Animal Prince and I have started working at the rebuilding of Isla de la Paz since the…demise of its original inhabitants. I called in a favor from Richard Spencers, and in turn he convinced some of his best shamans from Meriweather Island to ‘clean’ the place from any…undue spiritual influence. Oh, and yes, Meriweather, as a micronation itself, will adhere to the Pangean Confederation as well.”
Keene was still thinking about Oasia. Like the humans did with Dubai, a city in the desert was going to be turned the heart of a brand new oasis, a highly technological and controlled environment. Millions of strays and ferals could rebuild their lives there, showing the world that it was high time the furkindred wasn’t the butt end of the human jokes!
If only he could live as long as a human… “Oh, and by the way, thank you for transferring my personnel at your facilities.”
“Thanks to you. They are quite the dedicated workers. Their addition will speed up the final steps toward the creation of the perfect synthetic meat. The PC will not only become a power thanks to the next fusion reactors, but it will also be the leader in the food industry.” This time, his smile got wider, and it took on a sinister shade. “It’s so ironic that the market, after neglecting the needs of the African human nations, is going to be overthrown by the food produced by…a bunch of animals.” He toasted with his cup. “To the karma, my friend.”
“Amen to that, mein Freund.” Keene sipped. “And yes, I’m improving my vocabulary.”
---
Florence House

“Me and Volant…What a funny notion,” Tarot muttered, while trying to make a sense out of the cards that lay in front of her.
“Did you say something, aunt?” the purple kitten sitting at the other side of the table said.
As usual, the Pomeranian dog’ attention went first thing to the perfectly round white spot in the middle of the feline’s brow. To her sight, the Third Eye was always glowing with a soft blue light.
Peanut and Grape’s kittens were born through a miracle, true, but that miracle had been a powerful mediation between the realms of the living and that of the dead. The other kittens didn’t have any special gift of their own…but little Tarot Sandwich was different. She was in constant touch with that world. She needed assistance, guidance, training. Tarot the dog would not allow this creature who was christened with her name to end up a lone soul because of her gift… “Ah, nothing. I was just rambling, my dear one. Now, I was more interested in this card configuration.” Tarot looked at the cards.
It was an interesting configuration. An unsettling one, too.
And Tarot knew better than mock the kitten for it. The little one wasn’t prone to practical jokes. Perhaps I should start hanging out with someone more…mundane, after all.
The cards read about destruction, pain, loss…but at the same time, they read of rebirth and a bright new future.
Death was at the center of the circular configuration. Death, the Arcane of change. “Did you speak with the spirits before putting down the cards, Tarot?”
The kitten shook her head. “No, aunt. I…just felt this urge to put them down like this.”
So the spirits were using her as intermediary. If little Tarot could train at the village of Arcadia at Meriweather Island, she would make a great Dreamwalker.
Please, ancient ones, do not involve her in yet another Game. Let this one be the last one for generations to come…
“Why were you talking about you and Volant?” little Tarot asked. Of course, she wasn’t prone to forget about anything.
The Pomeranian cleared her throat. “Somehow Dragon, I mean Tian, thinks that Volant and I may be an item.”
Little Tarot raised an eyebrow. “Funny idea.”
This time, the dog smiled, wagging her tail once. “Yup. I think that too.”
“You’re best suited for a cat.”
I so need a social life!
She was at that moment taken off that train of thought –and quite rudely so, when someone knocked…no banged at the door, as if they wanted to tear it down by force of fists!
“TAROT! OPEN THIS DOOR NOW! came the unmistakable voice of Martin Judas Foster. The door trembled. It slammed open a moment later. The man walked in with the heavy steps of a Very Upset dinosaur. He looked like a Very Upset dinosaur. “That ungrateful little scheming…” he was muttering/growling.
Tarot stood up and walked to him, then standing in front of him with her paws clasped on her belly. “May I help you, Martin?”
Helias! Get me in touch with her! I want to give her a piece or two of my mind and make sure to eat a piece or two of her soul! That little—“
“I got it the last time you said it,” Tarot interrupted him, calmly. “And please, watch your language when you speak of the spirits and you believe in them. They can hear you, you know.”
Martin squat down to stay at eye level with her, his hands resting on his thighs. He still had that maddened, bloodlust look. “Good! I want her to hear me well! Do you remember that eensy-weensy time when her ghost and Honcho’s and Ringo’s wanted to kidnap me and keep me with them because I was such a bad friend for them? Too bad that they never mentioned me that before dying, she had had a litter, and that Alcor was one of her kittens!” his last sentence was roared with enough force as to ruffle the canine’s fur. “Instead of, say, thanking me for saving the life of her own flesh and blood at least, she tried to ruin everything I was and am working for! Plus the other two may be out there in the street, with no one to look after them! So now you get me in touch with that—“ an admonishing finger made him rethink. He snorted like a war horse a couple of times, before saying with the mad rictus. “Please.” Then he briefly turned his attention to kitten Tarot, for a moment becoming again a civilized being. “Hi, little one. Tell Peanut to e-mail those Spot comics for my boys, will ya?”
Tarot smoothed her fur. “First, I cannot just put you in touch with your former pets: They have ascended to a higher plane of existence, and it takes a higher order being to make such a connection. You should ask Tian.”
“Who?”
“Dragon. Long story. Her contacts.” She handed him a business card. Martin took it, puzzled.
“Second, ghosts are by their own nature the least…lucid entities you could talk to. Despite popular culture sometimes depicting them as quite the talkative entities, they are driven by their unfinished business in this mortal plane. So their level of contact may vary according to their wish to see their matters attended to. But, mostly, they are what you’d call ‘obsessed’.
“Helias wanted revenge on you because you had given her hope and then crushed it with your breakaway. All of her sufferance following that event had forged her mind in life. In death she had only that to cling to. In life, her love for her litter had given her new strength but also had reinforced her paranoia. She feared that they’d end up with someone like you. She had tried to teach them to avoid any contact with the humans.
“When she died, her last prayer was to get you. So, forgive her for not being…communicative about all the aspects of her formal life. Is there anything else you need to know?”
Martin was by now fairly sure he was going to have a heart attack. He felt as if he had been repeatedly pummeled like a punching bag. The guilt and shame he had lived with since leaving his family as a kid were back with the might of a full-speed train… “Did you know?” he asked with a defeated voice.
Tarot nodded. “I was told the night the spirits broke from your old place into this plane. I kept it from you because you didn’t need to hear it, then, if not to further nurture your inner demons...as it's doing right now, I see.”
Martin stood up. “Yeah. Some example of self-control I am…Look, I’m sorry for barging in like a savage and…well, treating you like…” He sighed, shaking his head and turned to walk away.
Tarot patted his hand. “Don’t do this to yourself. That part of your existence is part of your past.”
“It defined what I am—“
“You were defined by your good heart long before making that mistake. Instead of indulging in what might have been, think that with Alcor you have your chance to amend that mistake. You have a whole family that loves you, friends, and more waiting for you in your future.”
This time, Martin smiled weakly. "Does this mean that they're still alive? Or that they found a family?"
Tarot nodded. "That's for you to discover. I can tell you that...things got better for them, while it was Alcor who really needed his family. Look out for the other two if you and Alcor want, but do that with a lighter heart."
“Heh, you know what? If you’ll give it a try, I’ll help you open a psychiatrist support desk. You are cut for it, girl. Thank you.”
“Don’t mention it. In fact, I should’ve been less rude myself with this bit of revelation, but I’m under a lot of stress, as of lately.”
“Heh, same here. Cheer up: Should things go well, at least it will be way easier for you to marry. Ciao!”
And when he had left the house, Tarot said to the kitten, “Put the cards back, we’ll try another configuration tomorrow.”
Little Tarot did as instructed. Without raising her gaze from her task she said, “Are you going to date Volant?”
This time, Tarot smiled warmly. “No. But I know someone who knows better than dealing with the supernatural for a tip or two.” She winked.
---
Lindberg House

“It’s a stupid idea,” Allegra said as she walked into the house. “And I am not going to live here, so what’s the point?” Her nose quivered as she sniffed Fox’s breath.
The husky accompanying her rolled his eyes. “Allegra, for the last time: I did not drink anise, ok? And the point is, I am not going to ask Dad to adopt you. It would be pointless if you are so strongly against it…but you can still visit me, spend all the time you want here and eat better food than leftover trash. Then you can leave anytime you want, and I won’ tell you on anyone. Your secret is safe with me.”
The azure tabby sighed. “Is it? I-I don’t like it when they go all ‘Aww’ on me and start giving me things as if I was some helpless kitten. What I have is what I earned.”
Fox led her to the kitchen. “And that’s why you need a good place to live. You are strong, resourceful. You would make better with more means at your disposal.” He opened the fridge and gave her a wrapped tuna sandwich. Apparently, Bill believed a lot in the ready-to-go food.
Allegra unwrapped the sandwich. “Oh, I am sure that I could purr louder for master, once I was nicely fed. Sorry, I’m no food-driven doggie…and why are you smiling now? You look like you wanted to laugh. Don’t you dare to laugh at me!”
Fox took an egg sandwich. “Will not. It’s just…like being with the old King once again. So, believe me, you must do better than that. Were you abandoned?”
Allegra was taken aback by the sudden question. She didn’t even think before answering, “Yes. Or, rather, my mother was abandoned. She taught me and my brothers to stay away from the humans except, well, to take advantage of their stuff.” She went to a pet-sized chair and sat down. “I…she taught us that being a pet went against everything nature intended for us. We were separated from each other so that we’d grow up without bonds that would weaken us. A true cat wasn’t made to tie a knot, she’d always say.”
Fox forgot the sandwich in his paws. He felt that familiar urge to protect, to offer a squeaky bone, anything to cheer her up. “But…you lived with humans at a moment. When you spoke about your family, back at the restaurant, you put a lot of details into it, it felt…true.”
Allegra nodded. “They gave me my name and I guess it sort of stuck. But…it was more of morsels of food and some water they’d give me. I ‘lived with them’ in the sense that I always stood outside their house, never trusting them enough to enter. But I was allowed to watch them through the window, they always left one open for me, so I studied them and learnt about their lives from their conversation. The male always showed his guests pictures and movies of his relatives.” She sighed. “And when they moved, they didn’t even care to ask me if I wanted to join them. I was just another stray to be forgotten.”
“Good.”
“I’m sorry?” She looked at the husky as if he had a serious problem of reality check.
“Good,” Fox repeated. “Then we’ll be doing a reverse therapy. You’ll be staying here as planned. Dad won’t mind. In fact my allowance can pay for all the food, and if you don’t trust me, you’ll see what Martin and his business partners will do once Ms. Lundberg will be elected. Either way, you won’t suffering hunger anymore. And don’t try and give me another mistrust speech: Unless you’re the best of liars, being together with other pets makes you really happy, I saw it every time I went at Heathcliff’s. So this is the pact: You will try and walk toward domestication, and I will not put any pressure on you. Is it a deal?” He offered his paw.
She shook it firmly. “It’s a deal, mister nice doggie.”
“Why won’t you just kiss and make up, one wonders!” said a gruffy voice, startling them.
Fox turned. “Why must everyone make a weird romance issue of whatever I do…” he muttered. “Hi, King.”
“Hi to you,” the corgi, standing with Bailey by the threshold, said. “You eating that?” Bailey added.
Fox looked at his uneaten sandwich, then tossed it to his cousin. “All yours. I’ll have a cookie. You guys know Allegra, she’ll be staying with me for a while.”
“Good!” Bailey said. “Daddy will be happy to see you have some company. Nice to have you aboard, ‘legra!” She waved the couple goodbye.

“So…did everything go fine with…your ex-owner?” Bailey asked when they were in their room.
King waited until she had gone to bed first before joining her, letting her arms envelope him. “Hmm…well, it was OK, I guess. He needed to…deal with an issue of his past. I’m sorry for leaving you like that, Fox messaged me that you were really worried.” He snuggled against the thick softness of her fur.
“I was. But I think you learnt a lesson, so it’s ok with me.”
King was about to ask her what she meant, when she said, “Now you know why I still feel as if I was part of Chuck’s family, even if he’s no longer my Dad.”
King chuckled. “Guess I deserved that. So, okay, I will not complain. As long as he doesn’t try to manipulate you into—“ a finger on his lips silenced him.
“Got it. I’m a big girl now, papa…Though I too have learned a lesson today.” She nipped his ear.
He knew that right now she could ask him to jump through the ring of fire and he’d do it. “And what would that be, sweetie?”
“I quit my security shift and all jobs outside the farm chores. And I will work only at the less exhaustive tasks until the pups are born. It’s not right that I keep worrying you over my health.”
The corgi felt as if a boulder had been removed from his back. “This means the world to me, mama wolf. Don’t worry, I will make sure you’ll never get bored.”
Her smile became quite impish. “I know you did well, so far…”
---
Albert House

Zachary felt as if he had spent the latest 24 hours awake and running from a horde of predators. Soiree or not, he just wanted to collapse into his bed and sleep the next week away! He still didn’t know what had got into him to act that way, but a part of him was still thrilled. For the first time in his life, he had been treated with a respect he had never even imagined!
He had never imagined how deep could go those ferals’ adoration, considering he had treated it as if it was some sort of game –the truth being he wasn’t accustomed to the idea of animals being religious if not to mimic the humans’ beliefs.
I *am* their prophet. It was scary, but it was also so…awesome…
Zach yawned out loud. His mind was reduced to nearly a blank slate as he slipped into the fresh linen sheets. He loved linen, it had a nice scent, like a meadow…
His body rubbed against something soft and warm. Hm, he considered, Dad must have left me a fuzzy pillow. How nice of him. Much to Tiger’s glowing jealousy, Zach had raised several steps in the Albert household’s social ladder since the day he risked his life for those feral raccoon kits. Plus, Dad had developed a sort of bully-sense: It didn’t matter how hard Tiger tried to prank or humiliate Zach, Dad would know.
With these considerations in his mind, and hoping this wasn’t a prank from Tiger, Zach grabbed the pillow. He really wanted to test it—My, it’s heavy!
“My, but you’re one rude male,” the cushion said! “But I like it.”
The sudden, familiar fearfreeze caught Zach in the act of pulling the thing. He was definitely aware now.
The following heartbeat found him clinging from the lighting fixture.
“And impressive reflexes,” the hare said coming from under the sheets.
A big female. A wild female.
A beautiful female, with grey eyes matching her fur’s nuance. “You may come down, Zachary the Opener. I am Fauna. Would you do me the honor to be your mate?”
---
Sparks House

“Aaaand this baby makes me the winner, bros!” Fino put the ivory squares onto the Scrabble board.
“Azymes?!” Bino shouted, looking at the board as if he wanted to eat it. “What kind of word is Azymes?! This-this-“ His teeth were bared, his eyes had already shrunk dangerously and his hackles had risen like a cat’s.
Joey was reading from a dictionary. “Azymes: from ‘az•yme’ [az-ahym] noun. Unleavened bread used in a Eucharistic service. Origin: 1350–1400; < Late Latin azȳma (noun), Latin azȳmus (adj.) unleavened < Greek ázȳmos, equivalent to a- + -zȳmos (derivative of zȳ́mē leavening; see zyme).”
Joey rapidly counted the points and then said. “Yup. Fino wins. Again.”
Bino facedesked. “Not fair! You traveled the whole world!”
Fino started cleaning up the board. “Oh, not really runt: I still must see Antarctica, and then Meriweather, and then I want to go to the ISS—“
“Do you want me to hurt you?”
Fino flashed his cool grin. “You’re free to try. I may let you win for once—“
“With you, he wouldn’t accept that,” said a voice from the living room’s threshold. “He’d find it quite rude,” Fido added, walking in with Sabrina’s arm in his. “Hi guys, sorry for being late.”
Fino stood up and hugged his younger brother. “Don’t be if you’re in such good company, dawg! We had found a way to kill the time while waiting for your return. So, are we ready for that wedding? Or was it canceled?”
Fido shook his head. “It wasn’t. In fact…” both he and Sabrina lifted their paws to show the wedding rings.
“YAY!” Sasha said, before GLOMPING royally the couple and almost slamming them into the wall. “I’m so happyhappyhappyhappy for you Fidey and Sabry!!!”
Fido was shocked, to say the least. “What were you doing here?”
“I was waiting until you were married!”
Fino laughed heartily. “Well, almost serves you for keeping us out, bro! But I can understand it, sometimes one wants to do this in privacy. You know, there is this tribe in—“ He was interrupted by a pillow thrown with force.
Last edited by valerio on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyyee

Post by andyyee »

Great update!
valerio wrote:But back to business: You asked me about Prince Jata, right? Well, let it be known that his kingdom and Buwara will be announcing the long-awaited merging in the Pangean Confederation by tomorrow, independently from our elections’ results. Big apes at UN are going to get nervous,.”
Nice tie-in with the current comic arc.
valerio wrote:“Why were you talking about you and Volant?” little Tarot asked. Of course, she wasn’t prone to forget about anything.
The Pomeranian cleared her throat. “Somehow Dragon, I mean Tian, thinks that Volant and I may be an item.”
Tarot raised an eyebrow. “Funny idea.”
This time, the dog smiled, wagging her tail once. “Yup. I think that too.”
“You’re best suited for a cat.”
I so need a social life!
The cat/dog pairing does seem to be going around :-) For that matter, Allegra and Fox look like they're getting to that point, protests aside.
valerio wrote:Allegra was taken aback by the sudden question. She didn’t even think before answering, “Yes. Or, rather, my mother was abandoned. She taught me and my brothers to stay away from the humans except, well, to take advantage of their stuff.” She went to a pet-sized chair and sat down. “I…she taught us that being a pet went against everything nature intended for us. We were separated from each other so that we’d grow up without bonds that would weaken us. A true cat wasn’t made to tie a knot, she’d always say.”,
Maybe Allegra is one of Helia's litter, or perhaps it's just the backstory's a coincidence.
valerio wrote:A beautiful female, with grey eyes matching her fur’s nuance. “You may come down, Zachary the Opener. I am Fauna. Would you do me the honor to be your mate?”
Good he's found someone. Besides Max, he's one of the few holdouts. On the human side, whatever happened to Maud Gottschalk?
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

With Fido and Sabrina getting married and Jata about to enter the picture...well, you have your own different interpretation to differ from Rick on how this will come out. ;)

Better change Mr. Hobson's occupation from broker to anthropologist!

Wonder how Volant will react to a picture of Tarot in her seductive pose using floating cards.
andyyee wrote:
valerio wrote:Allegra was taken aback by the sudden question. She didn’t even think before answering, “Yes. Or, rather, my mother was abandoned. She taught me and my brothers to stay away from the humans except, well, to take advantage of their stuff.” She went to a pet-sized chair and sat down. “I…she taught us that being a pet went against everything nature intended for us. We were separated from each other so that we’d grow up without bonds that would weaken us. A true cat wasn’t made to tie a knot, she’d always say.”,
Maybe Allegra is one of Helia's litter, or perhaps it's just the backstory's a coincidence.
I believe it's the latter. Styge did mention Helias had three little ghosts so they are all white.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style