Re: Tech Talk

Post by Dissension »

Destructive recovery. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other

Post by 0404 »

:(
RIP

Nope, VICTORY! I WON THE BATTLE!! IN YOUR FACE VIRUS!
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I know Dvorak layout because I'm better than you.

Post by 0404 »

I've seen a small box of advertisment coming up from bottom right corner of both of IE and chrome. I ran all the malaware/virus detection but there is not positive sign of it. I've Tried to live with it but it some times get highly unappropriate.
And seems like I'm not only one having this kind of problem.
Sometimes advertisement asks me for date with Rick Griffin's comic
Ahhh Dinner with comicbook?
No I don't want your Graamically incorrectz advertsiment
Help...
anyone?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This sounds like adware. It may be removable via the "Uninstall a Program" option in your Control Panel (assuming you have Windows).

Post by 0404 »

No dice.
If it was that simple no adware even existed.
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Did a cursory search around teh webs and found some discussions about something that sounds very similar. Looks like malware and some jacking with your hosts file.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.ph ... pic=109316
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic449943.html

Post by 0404 »

those look highly complecated. I shall try...
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

You recon i can split up the image load into four rather then two? Lets find out!

http://youtu.be/MEoCUJds-fY
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

DingoVolf wrote:Did a cursory search around teh webs and found some discussions about something that sounds very similar. Looks like malware and some jacking with your hosts file.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.ph ... pic=109316
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic449943.html
And if that doesn't work, download the free Avast! antivirus:
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
(You actually still get a lot of the protection that appears to be in the paid version. But it's free.)

If you set all the sensitivities set to high, and all that jazz, run the scans (rootkit, full scan) and it should clean it for you. I've been using Avast! for three years now and my system is as clean as the day I got it. And yes, I have had potential virus/malware attacks before.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

It seems Beagle has a bit of a problem logging on.
Beagle wrote:HP has been out for 5 hours now for me and it's not working on Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.

She also asked me to give you this:
She says it might be the solution to her problem.
Beagle wrote:My problem is, I can get into my router settings, but I'm not really sure about how to change my MAC address. I can check HP at school.
If you have any suggestions, please contact her through Skype or post it here, where someone else can relay it to her.
Edit:
Beagle wrote:Tell them that HP isn't working on any of my two laptops or iPod Touch. Sometimes I can get the site for just a quick second, and then it goes right out again. I've gotten one DNS error, but mostly a lot of "Oops! Google could not find the webpage" and I've also seen "the server sent no data" messages.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hey guys. The forum seemed to be working on my iPod this morning, but I didn't have enough time to check my laptops. I'll go computer-geek on the problem if it happens again tonight. I'll still take any advice if y'all offer it. There's plenty of people that can relay the message to me outside of the forums.

EDIT: It's working! One less thing I have to do tonight! :mrgreen:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Can anyone good with code help me with Command Prompt for Windows 7?

I'm trying to manually combine all my .vcf files into one master .vfc so I can email the file to my iPod Touch and have another address book (and so I can add all my contacts to Outlook without clicking confirmations 400 times). I'm not familiar with the syntax for Command Prompt and I can't type the correct path to save my life.

Reference:
http://www.creativeworld9.com/2011/04/h ... ingle.html

I know this is the path for Windows Explorer, but I can't figure out how to use it with Command Prompt:
C:\Users\Caitlin\Documents\Vcards

Help. ;_;
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Shouldn't it be exactly the same? C:
cd "vcards"
and then just copy? or am I missing something?
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tiggy wrote:Shouldn't it be exactly the same? C:
cd "vcards"
and then just copy? or am I missing something?
That's what I thought too.
Attachments
commandprompterror.jpg
commandprompterror.jpg (87.5 KiB) Viewed 14491 times
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

You need the 'cd':
cd C:\Users\Caitlin\Documents\Vcards
(cd means "change directory")

Alternatively if you're already in C:\Users\Caitlin:
cd Documents\Vcards

Then smoosh 'em all together:
copy *.vcf all.vcf
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Obbl wrote:You need the 'cd':
cd C:\Users\Caitlin\Documents\Vcards
(cd means "change directory")

Alternatively if you're already in C:\Users\Caitlin:
cd Documents\Vcards

Then smoosh 'em all together:
copy *.vcf all.vcf
I LOVE YOU. Thank you so much! It created a .vcf file named "all" and that was the master file! Now I've got a copy of all my cell phone contacts in my iPod Touch (my phone broke yesterday and I have an SD card). You rock Obbl!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Annoying thread bump go:

My laptop will be three years old in October. It's starting to feel some aging. Have some specs before I continue:
Beagle wrote: It's an HP Pavilion dv6t series.
6 GB of of DDR3 RAM
i5 Intel core (the first generation, I bought it when the i cores were almost brand new)
7500 RPM
640 GB of HDD
Windows 7
2.5 GHz processor with overclocking abilities
Integrated graphics card
Integrated webcam with mic
15.6" screen
I've got about 80 processes and 30% physical memory running when my laptop is sitting at idle. RAM memory runs maybe about 10%. That's not too shabby, but I'm looking at ways to cut those processes and physical memory down a bit. I need to clean the dust (I've never opened up a laptop so I am terrified of cleaning it myself, which means my laptop's internal fans have never been cleaned) but it's never overheated.

I use CCleaner to keep my registry clean, I uninstall old software and programs that I don't need, I defragment regularly, my hard drive isn't even a quarter full, I use Avast! antivirus and Google Chrome's AdBlock, but my laptop's start up is getting slow... I haven't exactly timed it, but it's taking two minutes or more before I can click on things to start working. Sometimes, during start up, my mouse icon will even freeze for a minute or so. I find this extremely unacceptable.

I feel like this might have something to do with how many programs begin at start up (and I just now found the pages for how to work with this on Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ows-starts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... erformance

My current tasks for when I get home tonight are examining my start up programs and processes that run while idle, running a thorough rootkit scan with Avast, and finding an experienced friend who can teach me how to clean my fans.

My question for you guys is, what else can I do to help get it running like new again? I've got way too much valuable data (that would be a royal pain to transfer) on my drive to do a clean wipe and I'm not going to re-install the OS. I feel like I'm missing some essential piece of information that would correct my slow start up problem.

tl;dr My laptop is three years old and start up is slow. Suggestions on how to make it run faster?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It sounds like you're doing everything right. 80 is a large number of processes, though, in my experience - my desktop PC averages fewer than 40. Reducing the number of programs that run at start up will definitely be beneficial. I can't say whether that will fully resolve your complaint, though. There's only one way to find out! = P

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I got my new laptop today! And after working on this thing for the better part of... 14 hours, I think I can give somewhat of a review on Windows 8.

Overall, and I hope I don't offend anyone here, but I feel like Windows 8 is a mediocre, hastily-thrown together OS. It's very convoluted and you have to do way too much just to make a simple shortcut (they removed the simple right click -> Send to -> Desktop (Create Shortcut). In the beginning, it feels really stupid to keep switching between the Desktop and MetroUI screen.

The Windows 8 desktop is bare. Very bare. For anyone who has higher-than-average computer experience, it's so bare to the point of wondering why you just paid so much for, at first glance, a severely stripped-down version of Windows 7, a ton of unneeded apps on the Metro screen, and a good bit of frustration in the beginning. Once you start poking around with it, you can begin to see that all of the advance stuff is still there, that it's not an OS aimed at kindergarteners. It takes some work, but you CAN manage to get more than the standard three icons pinned to your desktop.

The Windows 8 Metro screen is in theory a good idea in the sake of simplicity and modernization, but at first boot, you have tons of apps, that if you're like me, you just plain don't need and won't use. I removed a huge chunk of silly apps within 20 minutes of having the computer on. To me, these huge tiles just look messy and silly.

In terms of ease of use, I would not give this OS to say, my 70 year old father with little (to no) computer experience. I feel like too much of this OS yells out, "You were tired of bloatware and stuff you don't need, so we took everything out and you can get the stuff you -do- need by yourself!"

For instance, one does not simply pop a DVD into the computer and expect it to play. Oh no, Microsoft was tired of paying for the patents since so many people are streaming content now, so they simply gave you -no software- to actually use your DVD tray. That's right guys, go download VLC or another media player or you won't be watching videos outside of streaming from the internet anymore. Remember Windows Media Center? Well, unless you installed it on your Windows 8 machine before January 1st, 2013 (it was free before that date), you could use -that- software to play your media content if you're willing to invest $100 more after you've already shelled out a couple hundred just for the machine. Since you decided last year that you didn't want to deal with the hassle of a brand-new OS accurately depicted to flop, you have to pay $100 for a program that was free with Windows 7. By the way, QuickTime doesn't work with Windows 8 anymore. YUP.

So how about that lack of a start button or those hot corners? You know, when your mouse accidentally moves to the edge of the screen and you completely leave what you were just working on. As I didn't have a start button anymore, I went "UHHHHH" when it came time to shut my computer down. And to be honest, I still don't know how to shut down without a Start button, because I found something that fixed most of the awful things about the OS. It's called Classic Shell, and it makes Windows 8 visually feel more like Windows 7, therefore reducing the amount of suck in one OS. Classic Shell adds a start button and can disable hot corners and let you boot straight to the desktop. For anyone who wants to check it out, have a thing:

http://www.askvg.com/classic-shell-get- ... sta-and-7/

But let's talk about Windows 8.1. It gives you back your start button, will allow you to disable hot corners, and lets you boot straight to desktop as well. However, after seeing so many people having problems running their programs with Windows 8.1 (think Steam, it has absolutely murdered Steam at the moment), I am going to stick to the Classic Shell freeware program for right now until this updated OS gets broken in like a new pair of shoes. For those of you who want to see what's new with Windows 8.1, have a second thing:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/softwa ... -8-1131737

As it stands right now, so many people are avoiding Windows 8 like the plague that it's going to be a while before it gets the momentum to be really good, if it ever -will- be really good. Windows OSs tend to cycle: one OS is terrible, the next OS changes how we think about computers. Honestly, I think Windows 7 was the peak and Windows 8 is the valley that will just become a flop. I too still try to avoid Windows 8 like the plague; however, my new laptop's specs and its price were too good to pass up. And hey, I can always put Windows 7 on it if I want. =)

Overall, Windows 8 isn't terrible, but it's choppy. Be prepared to do a little work if you want the same comfort level you had in Windows 7. I sort of like Windows 8 because you can make it look like a squeaky clean version of Windows 7 if you play around with it enough. But all in all, with so much removed, Windows 8 is not my favorite OS.
~~~

By the way, if this graphics card performs as well as I think it will tomorrow, I'm going to give it a 10/10 with disregard to the OS. I'm so happy with my new laptop. ^_^
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That makes me so glad that I have Windows 7.

I got lucky it seems. I never really used Vista and I shouldn't be needing a new computer anytime soon.

My personal theory behind Windows 8 is that it was designed to be more touch friendly than anything else. My mom has it on her laptop and isn't really impressed by it either.

Also, Windows Media Player now costs $100 instead of coming free on your computer? Media Player is not a $100 program, at least from my experience. The only real reason I started using it was because iTunes wouldn't sync music to my phone. I've had to deal with enough crap from Media Player that if it wasn't for the fact it came on my computer for free, I would stop using it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I dunno, I found the new user interface and performance in general to be intuitive and up to par, respectively.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:That makes me so glad that I have Windows 7.

I got lucky it seems. I never really used Vista and I shouldn't be needing a new computer anytime soon.

My personal theory behind Windows 8 is that it was designed to be more touch friendly than anything else. My mom has it on her laptop and isn't really impressed by it either.

Also, Windows Media Player now costs $100 instead of coming free on your computer? Media Player is not a $100 program, at least from my experience. The only real reason I started using it was because iTunes wouldn't sync music to my phone. I've had to deal with enough crap from Media Player that if it wasn't for the fact it came on my computer for free, I would stop using it.
Media Center, not Media Player
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cmZKMdgQ_qM/U ... 400/sw.jpg

But yeah, definitely not a $100 program in my eyes either.

You've got it right: Windows 8 is supposed to a "future-oriented" OS with its touch-friendliness. However, it might be just a bit too ahead of its time.

Also, this is my desktop after configuring and working for hours (mostly because of my 0.1 mbps download speed). I have a 1080p resolution so it's scaled down for size:
shellstartbutton.jpg
shellstartbutton.jpg (247.61 KiB) Viewed 14363 times
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

So, uhh. How long do you think it will take before we will reach the point in processor manufacture when the transistors are so miniaturized we lose track of electrons as they move through them due to the Uncertainty Principle? It would be a quantum wall of sorts as transistors per unit area reaches an asymptotic limit. Moore's law subverted by uncooperative and unpredictable electrons. At which point in time will we break the silicon wall and reach new means of computing?
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Arbitrary wrote:So, uhh. How long do you think it will take before we will reach the point in processor manufacture when the transistors are so miniaturized we lose track of electrons as they move through them due to the Uncertainty Principle? It would be a quantum wall of sorts as transistors per unit area reaches an asymptotic limit. Moore's law subverted by uncooperative and unpredictable electrons. At which point in time will we break the silicon wall and reach new means of computing?
The sad thing is is that I just understood everything you just said. Either that would be one freakishly powerful processor, or we'd hit some sort of wall as you said in terms of physics and electricity and it would just be a ton of energy with no real focus of going in any particular direction and that probably wouldn't work unless we could learn how to better control it.
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Intel's Haswell series processors currently have the smallest transistors commercially available. A 22nm manufacturing process allows for higher processor efficiency per quantity transistors. Heat, however has surfaced as an issue due to transistor density. A smaller die means less surface area for thermal exchange.

Now, according to Intel's road map, 5nm processors are expected by 2022. Meaning in less than a decade, we will have reached the limits of the silicon transistor we all know and love. What is really cool is there is a new type of material developed out of carbon atoms that is a great candidate for future transistor manufacture. Graphene, a sheet of carbon atoms in a graphite lattice only one atom thick. If we adopt graphene, it would be possible to extend the quantum wall down to one nanometer.

Quantum computing is also on the table but this is a bit far off due to the finicky nature of superposition. In fact, when data is "read" off of these "qubits" as they are called, we only get a probability of the state. If we run the calculation multiple times, we can increase confidence in the result. Meaning these quantum computers would have to run at high speeds to compensate for their double or even triple checking. An advantage (or disadvantage) of quantum computing would be various encryption algorithms based on the difficulty of factoring integers would be invalidated because these things could run encryption equations forwards as well as backwards, something difficult if not impossible for current processors. The time required to brute force passwords would be reduced by several orders of magnitude, something that would take years to hash could be cracked in a few seconds. Maybe quantum computers can take a crack at P = NP problems as well.

You never know where science will take you.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.