Awesome Kickstarter Projects

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

rickgriffin
Site Admin

Awesome Kickstarter Projects

Post by rickgriffin »

In this thread: Post about awesome Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or other crowdsourcing projects you have found. Better if they're still ongoing so we have a chance to look them over and maybe back them. I will begin!

Armikrog.
From the creators of Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood, a new fully stop motion adventure game. Features voice acting by Mike Nelson (Mystery Science Theater 3000), Rob Paulson (Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and others. Doug TenNapel is one of my heroes when it comes to sheer creative output. I never got to play The Neverhood but I really want to now.

Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE
I haven't had much chance to play most of Double Fine's offerings, but after playing through Psychonauts, I would trust this studio with almost anything. Massive Chalice is being kickstarted from the initial planning phase and doesn't have an initial design document yet, but the idea behind it is very compelling: control the dynastic legends of a kingdom of heroes as they fight against demonic hoards over a period of centuries. I'm excited to see what comes of this.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Silly Zealot

Re: Awesome Kickstarter Projects

Post by Silly Zealot »

I'm still trying to find the In The New Age video game kickstarter, as well as the one supporting the lycanthropy pandemic project, but those two keep elluding me.

Anyway, this two have long ended, but I'm sure a lot of you would enjoy seeing this plushification project, as well as the the Tails and Tactics trading card game!

Enjoy!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Rico

Post by Rico »

I'm a Kickstarter addict, but haven't really seen anything amazing on there lately. It seems to be the same old books, watches, wallets, or wacky item that's kind of cool, but I'd never back.

However, every project I've backed on Kickstarter has worked out fairly well so far. I'm happy with my Pebble watch among other items :). Boardgames, card games, and video games I can get behind. Especially from the creators of Psychonauts or Earthworm Jim. Plushies? They'd have to be awfully cute to get my approval.

I've been waiting for a Kickstarter project made by or featuring everyone's favourite Furret (funding for your next novel?). The already funded Two Kinds project is going down well (apart from a few shipping and quality issues).
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Among The Sleep Looks very promising, very glad it reached what it needed
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Tiggy wrote:Among The Sleep Looks very promising, very glad it reached what it needed

Oh heck yeah it's good to see that game coming to. I first saw it when Markiplier was playing the demo. The atmosphere was amazing. Really reminded me of Amnesia.

Edit: I never knew about all this kickstarter stuff, thank you for making this.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I was thinking of getting into this starting next year. =3

Also: I like the idea of Kickstarter's massive chalice as well. You could potentially make your own family of Belmonts or Beoulves. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I'm pretty sure most people have heard of the Oculust rift: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... e?ref=live

hugely successful, might make a big big difference in any sort of VR gaming and similar! Even Gabe Newell from Valve sponsored it some! He did an interview about it somewhere, don't know where it is though, might be on the kickstarter page. Most of the dev-kits from people who supported them are out, I believe!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

**** ****, and here I thought nobody cared about virtual reality anymore. :shock:

Mod Edit: Use of profanity is not allowed.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I don't like side-scrolling games much, but I absolutely love creepy looking games!

Ladies and gentlemen (and Sleet), let me introduce you to Our Darker Purpose.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/793 ... e_location

So, a furry Sherlock Holmes story wanting to be published. Kinda posting it here simply because it's furry, needs kickstarting...and you can actually already buy a kindle edition. o.O
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Your description of it reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes book (One of the more recent, non Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books.) where he faces against doctor Moreau and his army of beastmen soldiers. At least, that's what the premise said.

Also, this is where you post about any kickstarter, not just the furry related ones. : D

TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

anyone know of any animated film kickstarters by chance.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Dreamkeepers recently started a new kickstarter project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208 ... collection

For this one they are looking for funding to print most of the prelude comic that is on the site into a nice book to give out. Supposedly the book will be about 280 pages. It looks like a great cause if you love DK
Yes, I am a furry.
Duster

Post by Duster »

musclecar326 wrote:Dreamkeepers recently started a new kickstarter project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208 ... collection

For this one they are looking for funding to print most of the prelude comic that is on the site into a nice book to give out. Supposedly the book will be about 280 pages. It looks like a great cause if you love DK
Cool! I was wondering when they were going to get around to starting it!

I wonder if Rick has ever considered starting a kick starter?
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Many people have asked that, Duster, and the moderators answered that Rick would only would do that if he wanted to turn Housepets! into a fully official, commercial enterprise.

They are lying, of coure, but they still won't accept the idea of a Housepets! kickstarter.
Ever.

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's been discussed.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Duster

Post by Duster »

Dissension wrote:It's been discussed.
Hehe, sorry! I just never hot the chance to read into any of that....so, I wasn't sure.
also . . .
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

No, I mean we've discussed a Housepets! Kickstarter project and the reward tiers and stuff, but I don't know that anything's currently planned! I didn't mean to indicate there'd been a discussion on the forums. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

What do you mean? We are dis-cuss-ing it right now!

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I am going to risk showing my absolute ignorance here, but if there is a kickstarter project that has met its goal but you still want to buy a copy of the final product, is it possible?

I say this because there is a really cool looking horror comic on there called "Anathema" and I want to buy it. Problem is it no longer appears to be taking pledges and I don't have a paypal in the first place. I tried to contact the project owner, but she said that it has to be by pledge only. I find the whole thing rather frustrating.

Maybe the answer is obvious but I just technologically ignorant.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Duster

Post by Duster »

Dissension wrote:No, I mean we've discussed a Housepets! Kickstarter project and the reward tiers and stuff, but I don't know that anything's currently planned! I didn't mean to indicate there'd been a discussion on the forums. = P
Ok, ok, thanks for clarifying diss! Sorry for the confusion =P

I'm sure Rick is pretty spread thin with his current work load to be investing time in a kick starter ( of course I could be wrong). There's no doubt in my mind though that Rick could launch a successful Housepets kick starter if he so chooses. I think it'd be a great way for him to fund the comic, should he decide to do something big!
also . . .
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I am going to risk showing my absolute ignorance here, but if there is a kickstarter project that has met its goal but you still want to buy a copy of the final product, is it possible?
But of course! After the kickstarter of [Insert item here] has ended, you can order the finished product ONCE it's production is finished. After all, that's what kickstarters are for: To finance the item in question, so that can be produced and sold to people.

Also depending on how much you donate, the item's developers may actually promise you a copy of the finished item as an official way of expressing their gratitude to you.

And let's not forget the stretch goals!:Once the kickstarter has reached it's original funding goal, you may donate even more money, so that the item comes with even more features, though you probably know this already.

Ussually, the item's developers post an estimated date in which the product will be released, so you will have to wait until then to buy comic the old-fashioned way.

Rico

Post by Rico »

I've been in a similar situation as Radio Blue Heart, where if you missed the kickstarter, there is no other way to order the product as it was a limited production run and there are no plans to continue production. This isn't always the case though and sometimes they over order, or set up a print on demand service through the supplier afterwards.

On Kickstarter I'm currently watching Dreamkeepers Prelude and "Not Enough Rings". I'm also a sucker for pretty much anything in the Design category. People never cease to amaze me with inovative products!
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/720 ... e_location

Don't ask me why, but this really looks awesome to me. Maybe it's because of how I play Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh etc. The awesome artwork and style of it really makes me want to get this thing.

Not to mention, I like to think that people who use Kickstarter have a real passion for their projects but don't have the money to do it themselves. I mean, this isn't true for everyone (Look at Double Fine, just seeming to always need more money, seeming to be making 2 games at the same time right now, even though their first was supposed to be released 2 months ago) but still, you'd hope it were true for the majority especially for products this specialized.
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

No two fandoms go together quite like furry-types and giant monster fans, right?*

World War Kaiju Graphic Novel is a project that needs a boost. The artwork looks positively dynamite. And there are so many associated goodies! Unleash your inner kaiju!

SKREEEONK!

*Wrong
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I should have posted this far earlier but,
Has any of you heard of the webcomic "Looking for Group"? No? Nevermind that, they began a kickstarter for their prospective video game.

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The Saga of Rex by Michel Gagne. An adaptation of his story from the Flight anthology.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

TinFoilHats wrote:anyone know of any animated film kickstarters by chance.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:The Saga of Rex by Michel Gagne. An adaptation of his story from the Flight anthology.
Thank you Radio! I had forgotten how that kickstarter was named!

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Inafune? The father of Megaman making his own project called Mighty Number 9?

<3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur