25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

whoever started the poll didn't chose to allow changing votes. the only way to fix that is for a mod to edit the first post, which would completely reset the poll
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sleet wrote:Hlaoroo, you sound like a furry to me, personally.
I think probably that the main thig preventing me from identifying as such is lack of knowledge about the fandom. I think perhaps that if I knew more about the fandom and furriness and what it encompasses, and if there was a way to ensure my separation from "that other side of the fandom" (if you know what I mean) then I would be more comfortable identifying as a furry.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

People always seem to spend a lot of time trying to define what a "furry" is. I think what's important is whether or not you feel comfortable calling yourself a furry. Liking anthropomorphic animals doesn't suddenly change you into a certain type of person. I've always found it strange that there's so much confusion and stigma surrounding the word when really it's just a personal preference.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I agree with SkyCaptain. I don't consider myself a furry for the simple fact that I just don't feel that I am.

I read 6 furry webcomics, moderate a forum dedicated to one of those comics, am a brony (showing that I do have an interest in a show with characters that have human like qualities despite being ponies), and I have an interest in the fandom itself. By those standards, I would probably be considered a furry by a lot of people.

But I just don't feel that I'm a furry, so that is that.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

JeffCvt wrote:I agree with SkyCaptain. I don't consider myself a furry for the simple fact that I just don't feel that I am.

I read 6 furry webcomics, moderate a forum dedicated to one of those comics, am a brony (showing that I do have an interest in a show with characters that have human like qualities despite being ponies), and I have an interest in the fandom itself. By those standards, I would probably be considered a furry by a lot of people.

But I just don't feel that I'm a furry, so that is that.
You are a furry in denial.

By the way, Do you find it preocuppying that every time I see a story about a world populated by talking anmals, anthropomorphic ones, and such, I inmedately wonder what it would be like if humans suddenly appeared to stir things up?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:You are a furry in denial.
No.

If someone doesn't want to join your club, they don't have to join your club.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Rico

Post by Rico »

I'm still suprised there is such a high percentage of people on here who would consider themselves furry (based on their own definition). Unless many of the non-furries are just skimming over this topic?
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

No, the HP fanbase (At least on the forums) is mostly furry. HP is a furry webcomic after all.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Rico wrote:I'm still suprised there is such a high percentage of people on here who would consider themselves furry (based on their own definition). Unless many of the non-furries are just skimming over this topic?
I think a lot of people are skimming the topic, but it IS a furry comic, so there most likely would be more furs to non furs
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

I agree with wolverine. not that I'm trying to start anything, but you could always just have an open mind to a new story you come upon and then become a major fan of it. With the fact it may be a furry comic.
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The cool thing about Housepets! is how many fans aren't furries. That just shows how good it is.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:
No.

I have a club? Why can't you tell me this kind of things in advance?!
Dissension wrote:The definition we've always used in this thread is "anyone whose enjoyment of media containing anthropomorphic animals is enhanced or caused by inclusion of such creatures."
See? Everybody here turned out to be a furry, by Dissension's definition.

-"Yes, [Insert name here], you are a furry."
-[Insert name here]: "NOOOO, THAT'S IMMPOSSIBLE!"
-"Search in your feelings, you know this to be true!"
Sleet wrote:The cool thing about Housepets! is how many fans aren't furries. That just shows how good it is.
That's probably because it wasn't aimed DIRECTLY at furries, but to a general family audience, though it DOES have a few subtle (VERY subtle) touches of furry fandomness here and there.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Dissension wrote:The definition we've always used in this thread is "anyone whose enjoyment of media containing anthropomorphic animals is enhanced or caused by inclusion of such creatures."
See? Everybody here turned out to be a furry, by Dissension's definition.
People can like a furry work for reasons other than its furriness. ;)
For instance: Housepets! And for exactly the reason you mentioned.
Silly Zealot wrote:That's probably because it wasn't aimed DIRECTLY at furries, but to a general family audience, though it DOES have a few subtle (VERY subtle) touches of furry fandomness here and there.
Housepets! doesn't really work without furry characters (like at all), so it's furry but not just for the sake of being furry. That gives it its wider appeal (which is what you were saying). So people can enjoy Housepets! because it's a well done comic with good characters who happen to be furry because the story needs them to be. Not necessarily because they're furry.
The same can also be true for other more obviously furry works. Some people like them just because they are well done, others find an extra enjoyment in them because the characters are furry. We use that as our definition of what it means to be furry, because honestly, at the root of all things furry is the enjoyment of furry characters.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:Housepets! doesn't really work without furry characters (like at all), so it's furry but not just for the sake of being furry. That gives it its wider appeal (which is what you were saying). So people can enjoy Housepets! because it's a well done comic with good characters who happen to be furry because the story needs them to be. Not necessarily because they're furry.
The same can also be true for other more obviously furry works. Some people like them just because they are well done, others find an extra enjoyment in them because the characters are furry. We use that as our definition of what it means to be furry, because honestly, at the root of all things furry is the enjoyment of furry characters.
Another thing I wanted to throw in here is that you don't have to label this comic as a furry comic. The way I always looked at the comic was it was always aimed at all audiences. The focus maybe on pets, but that does not mean this comic is meant to fit a specific audience. If I were a teacher, I would go so far as to even teach people how to draw Rick's characters just because it's worth teaching others.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Argent wrote:
No.

I have a club? Why can't you tell me this kind of things in advance?!
Doesn't matter how many clubs you have, hearts are trump.
Obbl wrote: Housepets! doesn't really work without furry characters (like at all), so it's furry but not just for the sake of being furry. That gives it its wider appeal (which is what you were saying). So people can enjoy Housepets! because it's a well done comic with good characters who happen to be furry because the story needs them to be. Not necessarily because they're furry.
What I particularly like is what you'd call the "confusion" factor, where the sapient and inhuman nature of the characters clash. You get that in good science fiction, whether the aliens are cute fuzzy humanoids, giant luminescent communist squids in space, or seven foot tall Atevi with glowing yellow eyes.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I've done a little research and I think I would now be more comfortable identifying myself as a furry. Certainly, by Diss's definition, especially as clairified by Obbl, I am a furry fan. I'm definitely not a furry lifestyler though.

Here's an article I found in a magazine from a few years ago which explains a bit about being furry with comments froma guy who is actually head/creator of a furry website. Many of the comments on the article at the bottom of the page are also posted by furries and are quite interesting to read.

An interesting point that is made is that being a furry is just like being a Trekkie or being a Marvel fan, only with animals instead.

So, I guess, yes I am furry. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm not a "Trekkie" either.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Neither am I but the feel I get from the forums is that there are people on here who are likely to be, or who are whatever you call the Doctor Who and Star Wars equivalents so I just thought it was an interesting point.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

In the same way you can like Star Trek and not consider yourself a Trekkie (like me), you can like furry content or be interested in the fandom without considering yourself a furry.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:whatever you call the Doctor Who... equivalents
we're called Whovians
and don't forget to mention the bronies which are the same.

and last night, watching a filler episode of Bleach where Hitsugaya was a werewolf and had that thing where an intelligent animal character does dumb dog stuff (like dog jade from Homestuck fanworks and Brian in family Guy) and I enjoyed it as much as I usually do that kind of thing, I realized I may actually be a furry.

there, I said it here. I may be a furry. now those who always said I was one in denial can gloat :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Rico

Post by Rico »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:there, I said it here. I may be a furry. now those who always said I was one in denial can gloat :P
You have my respect sir!

I never considered myself a furry when I first got into Housepets!, but I've since changed my mind and am considering ConFuzzled next year (from one extreme to another!).

Despite some of my friends being very anti-furry ('anti' is probally the wrong prefix as they are not necessarily against the choice, just would never be caught dead standing next to someone in a fursuit). Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a furry and am even slightly proud of my new realisation. I don't think that it's something that I'll be casually dropping into conversation with them though. :(
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

Personally I could say I am a furry, but for a while I wasn't involved with the fandom for some time because of my job. (working good hours like crazy) But then I got back and here I am when I ran into the Housepets! comic. I admit the comic humors me, a lot. I found out for sure then I am who I am. :D

Now for the Conventions, I want to go to Confuzzled as well, but I really want to go to Anthrocon in Pittsburgh, PA. Then from there, I hope to go to more cons in the Midwest.

As for fursuiters, a large group, if not all, are awesome. the group I ran into outside of Philly one year was awesome. Can't wait to just go out there sometime and just meet new people. that's whats nice about the fandom in a good bit.

But in all, there is nothing wrong with being furry, or not being furry. People love different types of work and admire some styles of art or stories that we are sometimes just lucky to run into. :)
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's okay to not like things, but don't be a [jerk] about it.
It's okay to not like things, but don't be a [jerk] about the things you don't like.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

The word "furry" and really any sort of term used by an individual to define themselves or used by someone to define an individual is bound to cause problems. It isn't a concrete term but the representation of an idea, and that idea itself varies from person to person. Like the word "banana", everybody knows what it is and can agree without much of a fuss.

Words like "furry" are rather fuzzy (pardon the pun) in terms of definition. As in everyone has their own idea of what it means to them.

Personally, I define it as a behavioral set of sorts. I found I prefer anthro art over conventional art, I seek more interaction with people who refer to themselves as "furry" (This doesn't necessarily mean I am preferential to any group but it provides a common ground. Much like how video games or music bands provide the basis of conversation in other situations), I actively pursue this path as a bit of self discovery of sorts, finding out a bit of myself. It is empowering to know where you stand in any given topic, whether it is a food preference or lifestyle choice; being a furry, at least to me, provides another bit of insight to my character as it manifests through a fursona, or art, literature. I consider it a facet of my personality.

But it is still a facet, and the the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It is one of the many things that makes me happy to be me.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well said, Arbitrary. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I don't think anyone here is using the term Furry to generalize people, only as a word for a set of interests withing a range, which can be used alongside similar terms.

for example, I'm a Whovian, a brony, a Homestuck, an anime fan, and various other terms, none of which define me, but they do define my interests. and that line of logic is what makes me think I'm probably a furry.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Well, I'm not saying people here are, but less fortunate and less understanding regions of the net and real life exploit the term to abhorrent effect.

In any case, what you said appears to be in line with my statements, it is behavioral definition, sure. But behavior is emergent of personality and internalized values. So you can argue that if behavior is a result of interest, then that particular term that defines your interests can also be used to define yourself, within reason.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Argent

Post by Argent »

The point is, you have to define it for yourself. You can like Dr. Who without being a "Whovian". I religiously watched every episode of "Voyager", but that doesn't mean I was a "Trekkie".

This kind of externalized labelling seems to be more common with media fandoms, written SF fandom always seemed to be happy with the "I just read the stuff" crowd.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Definitely. If you lived your life according to what other people thought you'd never live at all. The best thing is just to do what you're comfortable with and what feels right for you regardless of what other people might think.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm going to my first ever furry event while I'm here in London. An old user who used to go by agent sandwich invited me to go to a little furry meet-up/party on the 20th. I'm pretty excited.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

There are no furry conventions in my country, I read there used to be one, but is now defunct due to management issues.

In fact, I think about 99% or maybe 98% of my country's population is utterly oblivious about the existence of furries. Good for them, I say! (And this coming from a furry.)
Sleet wrote:It's okay to not like things, but don't be a [jerk] about it.
It's okay to not like things, but don't be a [jerk] about the things you don't like.
Arbiter: -"So everyone has to hate that game because you think it sucks?"
Master Chief: -"Yes."
-Taken from the Arby 'n the Chief Machinima webseries.

Does it show that Master Chief is one of my personal heroes/role models?
Hlaoroo wrote:Definitely. If you lived your life according to what other people thought you'd never live at all. The best thing is just to do what you're comfortable with and what feels right for you regardless of what other people might think.
I know from personal experience that, if you live by the beating of your own drum, you will end up very, very alone.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Silly Zealot wrote: I know from personal experience that, if you live by the beating of your own drum, you will end up very, very alone.
That's not quite what I meant. What I meant was more along the lines of you shouldn't base your decisions on other people's opinions.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

to use your marching analogy: march to the beat of the drum, but you need to play your own instrument while doing so.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

That works, Brent. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

So long as it's close enough for jazz.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Seth wrote:agent sandwich invited me to go to a little furry meet-up/party on the 20th. I'm pretty excited.
I'm very envious! The LondonFurs seem like a great bunch. I'm going to be in London on the 20th, but only because I'm flying out to the US on the 21st.

And to make matters worse, I just found out via FA that this weekend I only just missed a fur meet that I never knew existed, which was only an hours drive away!

Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote: I know from personal experience that, if you live by the beating of your own drum, you will end up very, very alone.
That's not quite what I meant. What I meant was more along the lines of you shouldn't base your decisions on other people's opinions.
We are all basing our actions, and even our own opinions, on those of others all the time.

How many of the words from Watership Down have touched your heart? How many of your family members' actions have you reflected?

Society influences ever so insidiously, that you may end up imitating the actins of other people just bcause they sound reasonable or appealing, and you may never realize in your whole lifetime that your opinions are actually mimicking, or at least based on, those of others.

How delightful!
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:to use your marching analogy: march to the beat of the drum, but you need to play your own instrument while doing so.
I said "Beat" not "March", I didn't say "October" or "January" or any of the other eleven months, either, for that matter.

Argent

Post by Argent »

I think you're reading way more into the bunny's words than he ever imagined putting there.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I like dispensing rants for free, Argent of Stonecutter clan (It's a clan, isn't it? Or is that just suname and that I'm trying to flavor with random nomenclatures?).

Well! Since I am already typing stuff, I might as well tell you an anecdote concerning furryness that transpired, I suppose a month ago.

I was in my room, chatting with my younger brother about a video game I found while urfing through youtube. "Guise of the Wolf", it was called. Basically it was heavily reminiscient of Amnesia, but with the protagonist being a werewolf in search of a cure for his curse.

We talked about it for a few seconds before I uttered this words*:

-"It's a furry** version of Amnesia."
-"What?"- Came a voice from the doorway: My father was just entering the room as me and lil' brother were speaking. Or rather, as I was uttering the previous phrase. The dialogue then continued more or less as follows:

Me:-".....Uh."
Daddy (Smilling cheekilly at caughting us talking apparent nonsense.):-Furry?
Myself:-Well...
My progenitor:-What's "furry"?
I:-"Furry?! There is no such thing as "furry"! There has never being "furry"! "Furry" is just a myth!- (Insert clearly fake laugh, here.)***
Father:- :?: :?: :?:
My younger brother: -It has to do with humanoid animals.
My "fasha": :| (Starts going away.)
Yours truly:-No wait, it's...!
Pappy (Still going away, waving his arms dismissively.):-I don't want to know.
Your crazy neighbourghood zealot:-Uh...
(Male counterpart for "mother", six letter.):-I don't want to know.
Moi:-Good choice!

*Translated from Spanish.
**Word spoken in English in the original.
***Yes, I actually said that, word for word.****
Some people stop acting like complete clowns once they get off their chairs and away from the computer. Not me. I keep it real!
****Well, I said it in Spanish, but you get the idea.

Argent

Post by Argent »

It's just a name, little dude.