Foldo

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by Foldo »

valerio wrote:Third Law of Housepets!: In Rick Griffin we Trust :mrgreen:
For me, Rick is currently in position 3 just after Chuck Norris. :mrgreen:
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I joined just so I could ask this: What if King learns to like being a dog , and if/when Pete offers to change him back he says no? O_o
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

yoyodude wrote:I joined just so I could ask this: What if King learns to like being a dog , and if/when Pete offers to change him back he says no? O_o
To be completely honest, that is not a bad theory. Joel's life was not all that great, he had no friends or a purpose in life, he might just enjoy simplicity over what he originally had.
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Third Law of Housepets!: In Rick Griffin we Trust
I was thinking the Third Law would be "A Housepets! fan has to protect its own existence, whenever that does not conflict with the first two Laws of Housepets!", but yours might be better.
I joined just so I could ask this: What if King learns to like being a dog , and if/when Pete offers to change him back he says no? O_o
That's something along the lines of what I'm hoping happens :p
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

sliceofdog wrote:
That's something along the lines of what I'm hoping happens :p
Yes! Let it be true!
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
valerio

Post by valerio »

yoyodude wrote:I joined just so I could ask this: What if King learns to like being a dog , and if/when Pete offers to change him back he says no? O_o
That's just a theory I am rooting for for some time :mrgreen:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That's always a possibility especially if he does end up falling for Sasha (or anyone else in the neighborhood for that matter) But I still think its more likely (based on what we know now anyway) that he will go back to being human and my hope is become Sasha's new Dad.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

I hope you stick around, though.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Speculation about everything and anything King is in full motion.
Only the first strip released (of presumably 13+?) and already on the 4th page of comments =P.
valerio wrote:First Law of Housepets!: Speculation is futile
Second Law of Housepets!: Silly is a fan's status
Third Law of Housepets!: In Rick Griffin we Trust :mrgreen:
Valerio, those absolute truths of yours basically hit the nail on the head :lol:.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
valerio

Post by valerio »

*bows* thank you!, esquire!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

IceKitsune wrote:
That's always a possibility especially if he does end up falling for Sasha (or anyone else in the neighborhood for that matter) But I still think its more likely (based on what we know now anyway) that he will go back to being human and my hope is become Sasha's new Dad.
But if Pete turns King back into a human he'll get caught, and no one would beleive a magical griffin named Pete convinced him to turn his life around...
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Esquire Fox wrote:Speculation about everything and anything King is in full motion.
Only the first strip released (of presumably 13+?) and already on the 4th page of comments =P.
valerio wrote:First Law of Housepets!: Speculation is futile
Second Law of Housepets!: Silly is a fan's status
Third Law of Housepets!: In Rick Griffin we Trust :mrgreen:
Valerio, those absolute truths of yours basically hit the nail on the head :lol:.
Actually, the first one isn't completely true. You'd be surprised how many times people have been right when predicting the comic. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

yoyodude wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
But if Pete turns King back into a human he'll get caught, and no one would beleive a magical griffin named Pete convinced him to turn his life around...
But Pete does not think that Jail will do Joel any good so letting him go to jail would negate that reason he turned him into King in the first place. I mean Pete's like some sort of God thing so he could easily erase every ones memory of what King did as Joel so he wouldn't have to go to Jail.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Actually, the first one isn't completely true. You'd be surprised how many times people have been right when predicting the comic. :P
That's the result of pure statistic. It doesn't invalidate the First Law, miscreant! :ugeek:
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

IceKitsune wrote: But Pete does not think that Jail will do Joel any good so letting him go to jail would negate that reason he turned him into King in the first place. I mean Pete's like some sort of God thing so he could easily erase every ones memory of what King did as Joel so he wouldn't have to go to Jail.
1) Just because Pete doesn't think jail would work for him doesnt mean everyone else would.
2) Going through the effort of telling a story and them simply saying "Okay guys none of this actually happened! Glad we cleaned that up..." makes for a pretty crummy story...
3) If King stays a dog and everyone remembers what happened, someone could mention Joel in the future and remind King of his past, adding another layer to King's personality.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

yoyodude wrote:2) Going through the effort of telling a story and them simply saying "Okay guys none of this actually happened! Glad we cleaned that up..." makes for a pretty crummy story...
What about The Wizard of Oz?

Sorry.... :oops:
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

as said before, turning king back into human would resolve into the loss of a character.
witch would give the what i like the call: "Green power ranger effect"

O, hes bad,
ok cool, now hes good,
oo he lost his power, and now everyone wants the new good green ranger guy to get his powers back.
White ranger
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

yoyodude wrote:
IceKitsune wrote: But Pete does not think that Jail will do Joel any good so letting him go to jail would negate that reason he turned him into King in the first place. I mean Pete's like some sort of God thing so he could easily erase every ones memory of what King did as Joel so he wouldn't have to go to Jail.
1) Just because Pete doesn't think jail would work for him doesnt mean everyone else would.
2) Going through the effort of telling a story and them simply saying "Okay guys none of this actually happened! Glad we cleaned that up..." makes for a pretty crummy story...
3) If King stays a dog and everyone remembers what happened, someone could mention Joel in the future and remind King of his past, adding another layer to King's personality.
1. Pete is a God thing of some sort (we're not completely sure really) I don't think it matters what other people think when your a being that can turn an adult human into a Corgi.
2. The entire point of the story with King/Joel is to teach him a lesson once his lesson is learned there is really no reason to send him to jail. Admittedly your right its kind of a weak way to end it but really if he turns his life around him going to jail would really serve no point. Plus I can't really think of another way to get him out of jail other then having Pete basically hand wave it away like that. (This is of course assuming that Pete will turn him back into Joel in the first place. Because he did insinuate that he might not during the Christmas Arc.)
3. If I'm not mistaken King already remembers his time as a human.
Kyderra wrote:as said before, turning king back into human would resolve into the loss of a character.
witch would give the what i like the call: "Green power ranger effect"

O, hes bad,
ok cool, now hes good,
oo he lost his power, and now everyone wants the new good green ranger guy to get his powers back.
White ranger
Well I'm assuming that King getting turned back into human (if he does at all) would happen near the end of Housepets! like maybe in one of the last few arcs of the comic so its not like you would have him gone for that long before the whole comic was over.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I love how as soon as there is a comic about King, everyone flips hahaha. Most of the stuff we are talking about can easily be simplified assuming King stays a dog (which Pete basically said).

Also, don't mention the end of housepets, that would make me sad!
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Its cause king has such a deep personality and is characterized in a way none of the others are.
The Game

Post by The Game »

yoyodude wrote:I love how as soon as there is a comic about King, everyone flips hahaha.
it's not everyday a jerk o lantern gets turned into the most adorable thing known to man.
It's kinda easy to flip over. :P
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

it's not everyday a jerk o lantern gets turned into the most adorable thing known to man.
It's kinda easy to flip over. :P
Seconded. Plus, I'm a big sucker for serious moments in media that's generally comedy, so my favourite 2 Housepets! comics are the Wonderful Dog's Life ones where King yells at everyone and then the Sasha comic afterwards.

Also, my second favourite character is Fox, so the combination of the two is awesome :p
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

yeah, my favorites are the king arcs.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

1.) King is popular.
2.) Humans are intentionally peripheral characters.
3.) Rick I assume will avoid doing what he knows his fans will dislike.

Therefore King will likely stay a dog for a long time, if not forever.

Also, I think people in this thread are overstating Pete's benevolence.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Sleet wrote:1.) King is popular.

Exactlly! Pete's not benevolent, he's malevolent.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

ctcmjh wrote:
Sleet wrote:1.) King is popular.

Well that maybe true (and probably is), but really what evil things have we seen him do? Nothing really. I mean he's trying to teach Joel a lesson which isn't exactly evil and he is most likely protecting Sasha in some way as he stated in the Christmas Arc. Now mind you I'm assuming that he was talking about himself protecting Sasha it is possible that he meant someone else like a guardian angel or the spirits that Tarot contacts but we have no real evidence of that because other then the spirits or Pete we've never seen any other type of magical being and we don't know if the spirits take direct action in the world or only work though people and pets like Tarot.

I'm not saying he's a good guy or anything (he most likely isn't at all) I'm just saying that we don't have any really evidence that he's exactly evil right now. The worst thing I can come up with that is evil is him not treating King all that great (and even then its not like he abuses him or anything) and saying that he won't turn him back into a human.

Edit: Before anyone brings it up I know that Tarot said he brings about the end of the World or something like that but its entirely possible he does so by accident. I mean really we don't know anything about him or what he wants to do at all. Edit 2: For anyone who doesn't get it I'm kind of playing Devil's Advocate here
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

When you get a chance this comic explains things: https://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/12/ ... christmas/

The real answer, though, is that it wouldn't matter whether King likes being a dog or not. Pete has already changed him once, he could change him again, and there'd be nothing that King could do to stop him. It doesn't seem likely, though, that Pete will ever make him human again.
IceKitsune wrote:Well that maybe true (and probably is), but really what evil things have we seen him do? Nothing really. I mean he's trying to teach Joel a lesson which isn't exactly evil and he is most likely protecting Sasha in some way as he stated in the Christmas Arc. Now mind you I'm assuming that he was talking about himself protecting Sasha it is possible that he meant someone else like a guardian angel or the spirits that Tarot contacts but we have no real evidence of that because other then the spirits or Pete we've never seen any other type of magical being and we don't know if the spirits take direct action in the world or only work though people and pets like Tarot.

I'm not saying he's a good guy or anything (he most likely isn't at all) I'm just saying that we don't have any really evidence that he's exactly evil right now. The worst thing I can come up with that is evil is him not treating King all that great (and even then its not like he abuses him or anything) and saying that he won't turn him back into a human.

Edit: Before anyone brings it up I know that Tarot said he brings about the end of the World or something like that but its entirely possible he does so by accident. I mean really we don't know anything about him or what he wants to do at all. Edit 2: For anyone who doesn't get it I'm kind of playing Devil's Advocate here
I get it, but I like a good debate. Tarot never said Pete was evil, only that he was "kind of a jerk". His actions seem to verify this as he's not a particularly mean owner, just indifferent. He doesn't make any illusions that being a pet is wonderful, but it's not completely awful either.

The whole "beginning of the end" thing is hard to place into context. As anyone who's been following the 2012 nonsense knows, just because people say the world will end doesn't mean it will. In this case we're not even sure the world is going to end. It could be the woodland prophecy is true and setting Pete loose will bring about a new era. It would be an end, in one sense, and a beginning in another. It would also explain why Tarot told Peanut and Grape "not to worry" about finding Pete. The future may have changed, or she saw what was going to happen with more clairity.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Indagare wrote:I get it, but I like a good debate. Tarot never said Pete was evil, only that he was "kind of a jerk". His actions seem to verify this as he's not a particularly mean owner, just indifferent. He doesn't make any illusions that being a pet is wonderful, but it's not completely awful either.
I wouldn't even call him indifferent. He seems to like a bit of teasing, to some degree anyway.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
chronocrosser

Post by chronocrosser »

ctcmjh wrote:

Sleet wrote:
1.) King is popular.

Frankly I Agree.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

10 MINUTE DELAY!!! OH NOEZ!!!!! :shock:
Zander

Post by Zander »

I was freaking out bout the comic being late but then I read the new news post xD
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Zander wrote:I was freaking out bout the comic being late but then I read the new news post xD
Conveniently titled "Ack". xD
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hmm, that ice cream looks familiar. And too cheap; have you seen an ice cream truck recently?

Also, I love Fox's bandanna-wallet. And does this look like evidence that Pete isn't trying to prove anything, and is just, as Tarot put it, a jerk? Or perhaps he'll explain himself on Friday. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
devils

Post by devils »

i feel so bad for king, he just wants to have fun without having to worry about anything
Cinder:S:5 P:6 E:3 C:5 I:8 A:7 L:2
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

King is eating a Ricksicle :lol:.
Wonder what reason Pete has for being a killjoy.
Or is it the all authoritarian "just because"?
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:Hmm, that ice cream looks familiar. And too cheap; have you seen an ice cream truck recently?

Also, I love Fox's bandanna-wallet. And does this look like evidence that Pete isn't trying to prove anything, and is just, as Tarot put it, a jerk? Or perhaps he'll explain himself on Friday. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
PEEKACHOO ICE CREAM MY LOVE OF THIS COMIC IS COMPLETE
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

I'm sure the furret-pops were very critical
ImageImage
ImageImage
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »