Moderator: ArcWolf

BSAman

Re: Languages

Post by BSAman »

i speak english, sign language, and i'm working on learning german
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Well, I speak brasilian portuguese, my native language.

I learned English by myself, but now I'm studying in a course, to improve my diction, 'cause I'm a little slow to speak.

In the same course, I learned japanese for four months. I learned a few things, like: Konnichiwa, Hajimemashite, watashi wa McTwisp desu, blah, blah, blah.

I stopped learn japanese, 'cause I was going to travel to Canada, then I needed to improve my english.

Oh, and I tried to learn Sindarin. =33 hehehe

but, It was sooo long time ago, then I forgot. Nuts xS
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

So... I kind of have to learn another language for a later time.
I can choose between these three: French, German, and Russian.
Which do you recommend I learn out of these three?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

German. Totally.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Whichever you find most intriguing. Actually being interested in the language you're learning makes it way easier to pick up.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I am not really interested in any of those three languages. I can't quite see myself living in those countries, so I am not sure how much I would use them anyway.
So I would prefer if it were easy to learn and apply.
Athodyd

Post by Athodyd »

I would say go for French; it's the least useless and easiest of the bunch.
Gren

Post by Gren »

well, spanish (native language) and english (not perfect but it's something). Also, a single words of japanease and portuguese (but anything enough to say I know the language)
ImageImage
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I know English as my mother tongue, French as a second language and I'm currently learning German as my third. And for all those who are assuming the French is the impractical high-school diploma version - coup moi

Mais vraiment, j'adore les langues et j'adore parle avec gens autres en Francais :D

Post by 0404 »

Wanderer wrote:So... I kind of have to learn another language for a later time.
Russian Comrade!
Cool effect!
English is my really bad first language and Korean is my mother's tongue.
Last edited by 0404 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Russian sounds the most fun. I have to agree.

French is probably more useful though.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

German is actually the best, but we're responding to a post from seven months ago...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dissension wrote:German is actually the best, but we're responding to a post from seven months ago...
Hey... better late than never, no?
I'm a bookworm!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I want to learn Spanish.
Wanderer wrote:So... I kind of have to learn another language for a later time.
As a spoken language, Russian is easy. You just have to learn the Cyrillic alphabet. It it alsogood if you want to learn other Slavic languages. It is also a very important inter-ethnic language in East Europe and Central Asia.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil

Post by 0404 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I want to learn Spanish.
to de Mexico!
can you teach me Russian? :D
Radio Blue Heart

texascat018 wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I want to learn Spanish.
to de Mexico!
can you teach me Russian? :D
No. My friend Jonathan speaks it but I don't. Those are just some factoids that I learned from him.
-Virgil

Post by 0404 »

I have few Russian and Ukrainian friends, it is just amusing to listen to them talking in their own language. all the Accents that I only seen on movies in real life!! I don't bother to ask them to teach me how to speak their Language, because I know it is really really hard question to answer.
Radio Blue Heart

texascat018 wrote:I have few Russian and Ukrainian friends, it is just amusing to listen to them talking in their own language. all the Accents that I only seen on movies in real life!! I don't bother to ask them to teach me how to speak their Language, because I know it is really really hard question to answer.

I should make an effort to learn Russian or Serbian. I am fascinated by both cultures.
-Virgil
Oblivious Adobo

Post by Oblivious Adobo »

English is my native language, I know a little Tagalog and I'm currently taking Spanish in school. I find Spanish easier to speak than Tagalog, but I find Tagalog easier to spell/read.
I'm like a ninja; only loud and annoying.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tagalog, huh? How common is that as a second language there?
Oblivious Adobo

Post by Oblivious Adobo »

I haven't met a single person that uses it where I live now, but I lived in San Diego there are a enough people in San Diego that used it that it is offered as a 2nd language at schools there.
I'm like a ninja; only loud and annoying.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I have taken two years of German, a bit of Spanish, am currently trying to learn some Japanese, and have an Italian dictionary that I need to crack someday. I feel bad though since I can hardly remember what I have learned.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

I have taken 3 semesters of German, had a bad teacher, didn't learn much. Don't think I'll ever take any more of it since the grammar is way too confusing to remember. On the bright side I can confuse/insult my friends with it and probably can speak fluently enough to not die in Deutschland.

I'm also apparently good at faking speaking languages because I can convince people I am speaking a foreign language almost all of the time.

I think I might take Spanish in college though because I'm debating Miami PD, LAPD, or Texas Border Patrol. Also I have wanted to go to Juarez to say I have survived it and see what it's like.
McFly

Post by McFly »

English is my native language. I took a couple of years of Spanish, and I would've taken another had it not been for my mom stepping in.
I'm currently trying to learn sign language from my grandmother, who took a class on it a few years back.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

My native language is Polish, also I know English and a little Spanish.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

My apologies for necro-ing another thread, but I need some help.
Recently I've watched this scene in an anime, and apparently the song is in Esperanto. But I'm not sure whether the pronunciation in the song is correct or not.

Lumis eterne

So, is there a native speaker or someone who knows Esperanto here? If so, can you help confirm if the pronunciation is correct? I don't want to be misled again, like this other anime and its wrong pronunciation of baumkuchen =w=

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I speak English and just enough Spanish to claim I can speak it. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

My main language is English, however, I do know some German, but mostly forgotten what I've learnt from when I stopped it stopped being compulsory for me over a year ago. I do know a little bit of French too, but I last studied that when I was 12, and switched to German.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I kinda wanna learn an unusual language (Icelandic? Romanian? Swahili?) but don't want to go through the work it would take. Learning a language is not easy.
Duster

Post by Duster »

Sleet wrote:I kinda wanna learn an unusual language (Icelandic? Romanian? Swahili?) but don't want to go through the work it would take. Learning a language is not easy.
Nah, it CAN be rather easy, it really just depends on the language. And your native young too, I've heard that changes thing up a little.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

My native language is German. I also speak English and French. (We have to learn 3 languages in school :) ) And I speak a little Italian and Russian.
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

kurowolfe wrote:My apologies for necro-ing another thread, but I need some help.
Recently I've watched this scene in an anime, and apparently the song is in Esperanto. But I'm not sure whether the pronunciation in the song is correct or not.

Lumis eterne

So, is there a native speaker or someone who knows Esperanto here? If so, can you help confirm if the pronunciation is correct? I don't want to be misled again, like this other anime and its wrong pronunciation of baumkuchen =w=
Note that I don't speak Esperanto, but I study pronunciation in languages with IPA and Wikipedia is great as a resource in that area.

It's very close. Since Esperanto is a created language, its pronunciation is not exact and varies a little depending on the speakers background, but she has some obvious Japanese influence in a few places that aren't necessary to copy faithfully. Just note that the 'ĝ' is pronounced like 'j' (it sounded like she was softening it a bit which normally isn't necessary, maybe artistic?), 'g' is pronounced like 'g' (again with the softening), and 'r' is pronounced like 'r' (from Malay and many other languages but not English and Japanese :lol: )
Everything else was correctly pronounced as far as I'm aware.
Esperanto is very simple to pronounce because every letter has one sound and all letters in every word are pronounced, nothing is silent.
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Speaking of Esperanto, Obbl is pretty much correct, as far as I know.

Speaking of languages... Russian's native, I guess I can say I'm proficient in English, I have some knowledge in Serbian, and minimal knowledge in French that was not displaced with Physics, Maths, etc.
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Obbl wrote:
kurowolfe wrote:My apologies for necro-ing another thread, but I need some help.

Lumis eterne

Note that I don't speak Esperanto, but I study pronunciation in languages with IPA and Wikipedia is great as a resource in that area.

It's very close. Since Esperanto is a created language, its pronunciation is not exact and varies a little depending on the speakers background, but she has some obvious Japanese influence in a few places that aren't necessary to copy faithfully. Just note that the 'ĝ' is pronounced like 'j' (it sounded like she was softening it a bit which normally isn't necessary, maybe artistic?), 'g' is pronounced like 'g' (again with the softening), and 'r' is pronounced like 'r' (from Malay and many other languages but not English and Japanese :lol: )
Everything else was correctly pronounced as far as I'm aware.
Esperanto is very simple to pronounce because every letter has one sound and all letters in every word are pronounced, nothing is silent.
I see, that's good to hear. Thank you very much, Obbl, Veb ^^ I was worried because I am very well-aware that the Japanese have some trouble pronouncing some sounds like the 'l' and 'zh' sounds.

There is another version of the song, being sung by the voice actor of the purple-haired lady. Which is more fluent and beautiful, I think.

Lumis Eterne (Eri Kawai)

I have heard about Esperanto and the history behind it, but I never did actually heard the language being spoken until I watched this particular anime. Maybe I'll learn a little of it some time later, since it does look easier to pronounce and learn.

As for the thread, my main languages are Malay and English, and I consider Japanese as a third language. I also have some working knowledge of Arabic, Mandarin, Jawi (the Arabic-inspired writing system of the Malay language) and the Bajau language. Tried learning French and German before, but the pronunciation is way too hard for my Malay tongue =w=

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

My native language is Filipino. But I speak in English a lot more. Problem is, I'm terrible at both of them. I know grammar is a problem everyone faces at some point, but mine is just...uuggggh. I struggle with words a lot recently.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Filipino, as in Tagalog? I never heard of Filipino before.

Another question about the English language, does 'a couple' mean 'exactly two/a pair' or 'a few'? As in a couple of times; does it mean exactly two times, or a few times (=> 2 times)? This has always confused me as a secondary English speaker.

ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

kurowolfe wrote:Filipino, as in Tagalog? I never heard of Filipino before.

Another question about the English language, does 'a couple' mean 'exactly two/a pair' or 'a few'? As in a couple of times; does it mean exactly two times, or a few times (=> 2 times)? This has always confused me as a secondary English speaker.
I think "a couple" just means a few. Maybe. I'm not sure. Yes, I speak Filipino. Tagalog is just like a deeper version of Filipino. Which is harder and more difficult to understand.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I was always taught "a couple" equals two, "a few" is three, and "some" is any number four or greater.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Couple and few are becoming more and more equated in general usage, but the progression is still: couple < few < some/several
Usually a couple doesn't refer to any more than like five (if it ever goes that high). A few is usually about the same but also refers to small handfuls of little objects (like jellybeans). Some or several refer to larger numbers (usually it starts being used around 5 to 7) or larger handfuls than would constitute "a few". It's all subjective and some people never use "a couple" to refer to any more than two (since that is the literal meaning of the word).
For the handfuls, I contrast "I'm going to have a few jellybeans" versus "I going to have some jellybeans". If I pour "a few" jellybeans into my hand, I expect the number of jellybeans to be small enough that I could probably count them fairly easily just looking at them (you could probably glance at 10 jellybeans in your hand and know that's about how many you have. 15 is probably pushing it.) If I pour "some" jellybeans into my hand, I expect that I would have to count them individually if I wanted to know how many I actually had (with 20 jellybeans in your hand you'd have trouble deciding how many you had at a glance.) It also has to do with the contrast between "a lot" and "a little". If you only want "a little" number of jellybeans, you're probably going for "a few". If you think it's more than "a little" (maybe not "a lot", but more than "a little"), you probably want "some".

A few is also used facetiously when there are clearly more than "a few". (eg "How many jellybeans have you had?" "Oh... a few" :D )
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I try to never use "a couple" unless I mean literally two.