What if YOU were an anthro dog in real life, like King?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

tychoaussie

What if YOU were an anthro dog in real life, like King?

Post by tychoaussie »

Ooooh, I can relate to this question, and would like to explore it a little:

Imagine, if you will, that Pete showed up and did a number on you, sort of like King - - and you were the only one in your region who was a walking, talking housepet. What would life be like? You'd need to fend for yourself, however, and you kind of, sort of, had full personhood. However it was only so long as the public deemed you "safe and not a threat to the greater public".

Tycho Aussie is a semi-realistic fursuit I take into the community, like the race you see above. It's uncannily like some of Rick's artwork, especially Rufus from the comic strip, but it's totally coincidence.(I even tell really bad jokes like Rufus, can you believe it??) I get a lot of reactions, from bad to neutral, to magnetic attraction. The bad reactions are the people who act as if you are invisible, though I also sometimes get a crying child or a creeped-out teenager who shrieks and runs, but I can't tell if that's just an act, drama, or the real deal.

So what if you had no choice but to wear your fursuit into public every single day, because it was like "you!", courtesy that mischievious Pete.... What would be the consequences, both socially, professionally, and such?

Remember, I've actually TAUGHT a college class in my fursuit, been in a parade, and been part of a puppet show in my church while donning the guise of Tycho Aussie. However in all those cases, I don't make any attempt to conceal the fact that I'm ACTING the part and that it's just pretend. What if one day it wasn't? How much of a game changer would it be?

Topic started, and waiting to hear your insights.

-Tycho Aussie
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Radio Blue Heart

Re: What if YOU were an anthro dog in real life, like King?

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Well, I don't think that I would be too keen on being a pet, but I have always sucked at being human. So, yeah. I would do it. It would a nice change of pace.

Do we have to be domesticate dogs?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

You know, I'd most probably go into seclusion and hide from everyone, especially the scientific and religious communities. I don't want to end up as a test subject in one spectrum, and an object of heresy/witchcraft/anything of that sort in another. Also, given that I'm terribly uncomfortable standing out in a crowd, I'd probably be an extreme introvert and cut off all familial relationships to not harm them any further.

Still, I'd probably come to accept the fact that I've changed, and try to live my life to the fullest wherever I might end up in, in the mountains maybe. I'm used to living alone, and being a being of a different kind would not probably affect me that much. Having the best of both worlds, the intelligence of a human and the body of a humanized animal, I'd probably try and be closer to nature and live wild, only from the shadows. I'd probably become an anonymous author and write stories, to leave a mark in the world from afar.

... I know this sounds very negative and bleak, but I am speaking realistically and truthfully. Sorry if I made anyone uncomfortable with this train of thought.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

WARNING: A somewhat dark answer to the question ahead:

If it was some unexplained cause, I wouldn't know whether to indulge in the "I'm an animal-person thingy!, How cool is that!?" or go to the other extreme with a reasoning the likes of "I've been turned into an abomination!, I don't deserve to live!" and jump off a building, though I probably wouldn't have the guts. Heh.
However, if it was indeed the work of a malevolent entity, I would definitely either go with the latter option, or find a way to turn back to normal (I use the phrase loosely, since I don't think one can just simply forget having been turned into another thing, even if temporarily.) and get revenge.
kurowolfe wrote:You know, I'd most probably go into seclusion and hide from everyone, especially the scientific and religious communities. I don't want to end up as a test subject in one spectrum, and an object of heresy/witchcraft/anything of that sort in another.
Aww, I would not judge you for being turned into a doggy, but I would definitely try to goad you into the newly founded "Change them back into humans!" organization.
kurowolfe wrote:Still, I'd probably come to accept the fact that I've changed, and try to live my life to the fullest wherever I might end up in, in the mountains maybe. I'm used to living alone, and being a being of a different kind would not probably affect me that much. Having the best of both worlds, the intelligence of a human and the body of a humanized animal, I'd probably try and be closer to nature and live wild, only from the shadows. I'd probably become an anonymous author and write stories, to leave a mark in the world from afar.
It's not easy at all to live in seclusion, animal instincts or not.
You'd probably end up missing all city commodities.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

To be perfectly honest I'd probably head up to the local medical research facility and figure out what the heck. Also probably get paid a lot for testing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Sleet wrote:To be perfectly honest I'd probably head up to the local medical research facility and figure out what the heck. Also probably get paid a lot for testing.

Or not get paid and live in a padded white cell to live out the rest of your days, while white coats study you =P.

Nah I'd probably be cool with it. As long as you're able to keep your thumbs, you could basically still do everything you did before. A good example could be Beast from X men. He's still able to socialize and is in politics, of course I'm referring to the movies. So with that said, being an Anthro dog, you could go far. I bet you could have a real successful career being an actor. Now if I had a choice to being some other anthro being, then my opinion and comment would probably be different.

Edit: tychoaussie, what do you teach?
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That's an interesting one. I would probably be equal parts freaked out and intrigued. The negatives are obvious you're a freak and there are no legal precedents for your rights. So those issues would have to be ironed out. But I feel like generally you'd be accepted after the initial shock because people like dogs. Even with all the headaches it'd be at the very least interesting and probably even kinda fun to have the best of both species. I'd probably just keep being a student and change as litlle as possible. I would need a new job as I'm sure a dog working in a cafeteria is a health code violation. But as a film student I could just try to roll with it and hope it would help me find some sort of movie work. I know its kinda lame but I would just live my life as normally as I could and try to enjoy it
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Ummmm, I would probably get kidnapped by any one of many governments interested in that. But If I came out as a nine tailed fox that wouldn't be an issue. I would also love to go temple raiding as a avatar, you have to admit that would be fun. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Ummmm, I would probably get kidnapped by any one of many governments interested in that. But If I came out as a nine tailed fox that wouldn't be an issue. I would also love to go temple raiding as a avatar, you have to admit that would be fun. :lol:
I doubt you would be kidnapped, as the news channels would probably get to you first and everyones eyes would be on you.

In fact, after watching several shows from Natinal Geographic channel, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the world, there was already a person with animal like features, but it hasn't been properly covered on TV for us to know.

On that note, Did you know a piglet with an almost human face was born in Guatemala?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

My guess:

At first, people would treat you like a curiosity, then either a celebrity, or a wild animal worth preserving or studying. You'd have to be good at public relations. The jury would be out on whether or not you were more friendly-like, or more "unpredictable". If you ever got into a scrap with someone and the media went against you, you'd go from personhood to dangerous animalhood, and end up in a nice, managed mini-habitat where you couldn't interact with anyone else except through a glass divider. There couldn't be any hint of "He'll bite timmy and infect him" and you'd have to stay clean, all the time. No smelly dog scent allowed. So you'd not only have to mind your P's and Q's but all the other letters before and after for a long, long, time. At least, until you are as rich as William Shatner. Then you could relax, write a bad sci-fi novel or two, make some great & weird commercials, and get away with poorly sung covers of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

I think I agree with tycho. No matter what, you will end up getting some media attention, but depending on your actions during your fifteen minutes of fame will probably determine the rest of your life. I mean look, if you think about, it's not really that much different from when the media covered the guy who's skin is permanently blue or the "tree man". I'll admit turning into an anthropomorphic dog might get you more flak but if you stay boring, keeping doing your thing, and don't give anyone a reason to think your dangerous, everyone will move on, eventually. You might get put on a reality TV show, maybe come up ten years later on one those "Where are they now?" documentaries, but just like time, everything will move on.

I personally don't think I'd handle it that well at first... I'd probably be psyched for about five minutes then realize I'd have to tell everyone I know I'm a dog (my mind instantly goes to Tom Hanks in Big when he tries to tell his mom). Maybe I'd get used to it. It'll be hard to make friends, get a normal job (mascot maybe?), find "The One". I'm assuming it's one of those things that grow on you. But... I don't know. It's a fun but scary thought, the crazy thing is, I'd probably not mind as much if I wasn't the only one, y'know. Like... Being the first and only one, makes its a whole lot harder. But that's just me ^_^

The thing is, the difference from wearing a suit and being the actual thing is that you can't change who you are. And others know that too. When your in a suit people will judge you not by the suit, but by the person who's in the suit... Because you can take it off. But if you're actually what you are, then people can judge for what you are (hopefully in a positive way. I'd expect weary acceptance or something of the sort).

I'd imagine if anyone were to kidnap you It'd be some crazed fanatic. Though I think the furry fan-base would think highly of you.

@Zealot: there was this guy that had surgery done so he could look more like a cheetah or.... something like that. Teeth work, tatoos (i think), etc
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tatsuo wrote:
Sleet wrote:To be perfectly honest I'd probably head up to the local medical research facility and figure out what the heck. Also probably get paid a lot for testing.

Or not get paid and live in a padded white cell to live out the rest of your days, while white coats study you =P.
If they attempted that they would go to jail. It would be inhumane.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Sleet wrote:If they attempted that they would go to jail. It would be inhumane.

Lol you're right it would be, but beneath the crashing waves into the depths behind the walls of secrecy lies the many unforetold mysteries of the human mind, where reality and judgement become unclear and good intentions become void :shock: . Basically inhumane or not, if someone wanted you it would be matter time before the public forgot you. As previously mentioned, the media would be your only hope, but even then as we know the media can choose what they air. Haha getting dark. Even with that said, I'd still be an anthro dog. Not knowing what happen would be exciting. I could see some crazy adventure unraveling where someone how you are the chosen one or some kind of crazy like that =P. Especially if Pet was involved.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:
Tatsuo wrote:

If they attempted that they would go to jail. It would be inhumane.
It could be Dr. Moreau! Being humane to regular animals would be far from their thoughts when you are in the House of Pain!

"Good luck on the furry reservation, suckers! We're not going to honor those bogus treaties!"

This is why after we change we must crush mankind!
-Virgil
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

"Crush mankind with an iron paw" eh? Sounds fun, lets just hope Pete isn't the one to transform us then shall we? (Better be dragon or Kitsune, maybe Cerberus?)
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Taking the question completely literally. The idea of me being turned into a anthro-like dog in the 'real world' is a crazy one. I can mostly relate to what Kurowolfe said.

First of all, I would loose my job. Can't work around food when your a dog-man. I already know I would get bombarded with attention from media. People would think "check out the dude in the dog suite. Oh ****, that isn't a suit!" I probably wouldn't go outside much and never into public. However, after a while, the hype would be over. Everyone would know and I would just be the same dog-dude.

Communicating with other dogs would be interesting. Or how would that even work? Could I brag to other dogs that I can drive a car and the most they can do is fetch?
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Other than the whole "probably being scientifically experimented on" thing, I think it would be pretty cool. You'd probably end up becoming a celebrity just because you're an anthro dog and make a good bit of money just showing up places. And everyone would love you because of how cute you are!
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Radio Blue Heart

Kitela wrote:Taking the question completely literally. The idea of me being turned into a anthro-like dog in the 'real world' is a crazy one. I can mostly relate to what Kurowolfe said.

First of all, I would loose my job. Can't work around food when your a dog-man. I already know I would get bombarded with attention from media. People would think "check out the dude in the dog suite. Oh ****, that isn't a suit!" I probably wouldn't go outside much and never into public. However, after a while, the hype would be over. Everyone would know and I would just be the same dog-dude.

Communicating with other dogs would be interesting. Or how would that even work? Could I brag to other dogs that I can drive a car and the most they can do is fetch?
On the other hand, you could make a lot of money exhibiting yourself. People who appear in side shows can earn a lot of money. Also, appearing in film or on television. An anthro canine person could be the best special effects ever in a werewolf movie.

But, I do worry about such a creature being treated as too much of a freak. Sometimes being different is dangerous.

I have always been a big film buff, and I have seen a lot of movies in which a creature that is a freak of nature or a freak of science, somewhat in the Frankenstein's monster tradition, being persecuted and hunted. Not because it is dangerous, but because it is unique and the world will not tolerate it. I guess to show that on some subconscious level I have always been a furry, I had a nightmare when I was about 10 or so. I dreamed that a dog-like anthro had taken shelter on a section of screened-in porch at my house. It was obviously female and it had it's babies with it. I tried to offer it help and asked it some questions. It could talk but it was scared and evaded the questions. The dream ends with me talking to it as lights come on behind me. I turn and I am blinded by them, unable to see who is there. There was shouting and the unmistakable chatter of automatic weapons fire. I woke up at that point in a cold sweat. I suppose if the story that played out in that dream was of creature simply trying to survive and ensure the survival of it's offspring.

Years later I read the novel "Cabal" and its film adaptation "Nightbreed". And I found this picture.
Both reenforced that sense of empathy and the belief that everything has a right to live.
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Virgil
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
On the other hand, you could make a lot of money exhibiting yourself. People who appear in side shows can earn a lot of money. Also, appearing in film or on television. An anthro canine person could be the best special effects ever in a werewolf movie.
It wouldn't matter if I was treated like a freak or not. I wouldn't want that kind of attention. Anyone but close friends and family would always know me for my appearance and nothing more.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I doubt anyone would kidnap a person turned funny animal for research purposes because:

A) It's far easier to talk you into willingly going with them.

B) Scientists and goverments have far, FAR more concerning and pressing matters to attend than some person getting turned into a doggy person.
Kitela wrote:Communicating with other dogs would be interesting. Or how would that even work? Could I brag to other dogs that I can drive a car and the most they can do is fetch?
Dogs are uninteligent, (Even dumb, despite how much I love them.) and have only basic sounds, stances, poses, and scent to communicate.
Even if you had Doctor Doolittle abilities, they'd probably understand almost nothing of what you are saying, unless it's very basic.

Hey, Mr. Radio, where did you find that painting? It's very well made!

Radio Blue Heart

Its by an artist who goes by the name of Taurin Fox. He has an FA page but be warned, a lot of his stuff is naughty.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Silly Zealot wrote:I doubt anyone would kidnap a person turned funny animal for research purposes because:

A) It's far easier to talk you into willingly going with them.
Not necessarily I wouldn't want to be researched. I think that kitela and kurowolfe bring up a good point. Anything even resembling a normal life would be impossible. I'd be doing all I could not to turn myself into a sideshow. I feel like being researched or experimented on would just be embracing the role of the freak.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes but with a lot of money. :P
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

If any of you turned into dog people, I'd gladly offer up my home as a place of refuge(although I don't think my family would be too thrilled when they discover a half a dozen doggy peoples hiding in my closet :S).

And Kurowolf, I wouldn't judge you ever, even if you turned into a dog person :3

Also Tycho, could you clarify: do we retain our human height, or do we shrink?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:Yes but with a lot of money. :P
That's one of the many ways we humans have to goad people, and doggy people, for that matter, to do what we want. Allying with the authorities, allying with your family, feeding off your desperation due to the recent, unexpected, probably undesired, and dramatic changes on your life are also common gambits of ours.
TinFoilHats wrote:Also Tycho, could you clarify: do we retain our human height, or do we shrink?
That'd probably depend on what kind of dog you get turned into, some dogs are so tiny, you may actually kill them by just stepping on them, while some have actually managed to become bigger than the average human!

ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Wow, tough question. I don't really know how to answer. I've always dreamed of turning into an anthro dog, but I was always afraid on how it'll turn out.

Well, it would be tough at first. My parents are kinda religious so there's no doubt they'll be bombarding me with questions like "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!" "WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS?!" or something similar. And it would probably hard with school. People will start treating you differently and start judging you. Next thing you know, they start to forget who you were before and think you're a totally different person (er, dog). Thing is, if it ever does happen, I just want everyone to know that I'm still me. Despite not being human anymore, I'm still the same socially-awkward stupid guy who I was before.

I'd probably get a lot of attention, either with the government or with the church, or both. Hopefully, they'd just ignore me and not think of me as a threat since, obviously, our country has WAY worse things to be taken care of.

And, assuming that I'm the only one in my region to get turned into a dog, does that mean there will be others out there like me?
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I imagined the question was implying you were the only one.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Whatever be the case, I would probably flip out, and start pointing at people, accusing them and asking "Who did this?! Who did this?!" and throw everyone into bubblegum paranoia of being turned into doggies for the fun of it.

ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Sleet wrote:I imagined the question was implying you were the only one.
Well that's no fun... :( As much as I like becoming an anthro dog, being the only one makes me lonely.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Radio Blue Heart

It would definitely be more lonely if you were the only anthro. The plus side is that it would be easier to hide if people were hostile to such a creature. If there are more anthros and the world is hostile to them, then anyone seeking them out will do so because they have proof other creatures exist.

Hopefully friends and family would help hide you out if that were the case.

That was the central concept of the web comic "Beyond Rapture" (which seems to have shut down for one reason or another). It is set in a world where and mysterious event has turned about half the world's population into anthropomorphic animals.
-Virgil
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Hide yo tails, hide yo fur! Cos they hunting every anthromorphic dog out there! :lol:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ShadowLightning wrote:
Sleet wrote:I imagined the question was implying you were the only one.
Well that's no fun... :( As much as I like becoming an anthro dog, being the only one makes me lonely.
You'd still have human friends, at least!
Radio Blue Heart

Until they sell you out to a research lab or a sideshow! Then you will be in a cage screaming "I was once like you!"

Like "Freaks" or more like "Freaked".

Some of the ideas in this thread remind me of an episode of Sealab 2021 where the crew ignored imminent danger to discuss putting their brains in robot bodies. Including how tall they would be. I made reference to it with the reservation joke.
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Until they sell you out to a research lab or a sideshow! Then you will be in a cage screaming "I was once like you!"
You seem to have completely lost faith in man.

Besides, freakshows are pretty much outlawed now-a-days, they use National Geographic now!

And I'm sure most of the citizenry from your country would be looking for suddenly dissapeared doggy guy, if they were kidnapped.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Silly Zealot wrote:Besides, freakshows are pretty much outlawed now-a-days, they use National Geographic now!
They use "medical" shows on TV.
Radio Blue Heart

They will capture you and make the ultimate fur suit out of you!
-Virgil
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:They will capture you and make the ultimate fur suit out of you!
you are sick B(
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Radio Blue Heart

Joking!
-Virgil
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Guys, let's not get worked up over an obvious joke. There's no need to attack or belittle one another.

Having said that, I relish the contrast between Sleet and the rest of you. Ya know, the whole "I'd probably head up to the local medical research facility and figure out what the heck." thing vs. the "I'd try to keep away from the evil researchers" thing. I guess that's what happens when you toss this kind of question toward a medical researcher. *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

If I were like King, I'd drink so much orangeade.